My Thoughts on the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-Hawks

UDFA
Hi guys I have a read a lot of comments this season about the Rams. I have been following the team for a long time and I will give my two cents.

DEFENSE

I think the state of the defense is just fine, and we should not worry about the defense at all in the upcoming draft. I think we can add a linebacker in free agency and be set at defense. Our defense is doing just fine right now. We are expecting them to play perfect games, but that is not possible. Whenever your offense goes nine straight possessions with out points no defense can win. With a solid offense that can put up some points and take time off of the clock our defense will be fine. Overall, all of the comments about how our defense is bad is just false. The defense is on the field the whole game and that is not how we win. In this draft we should focus all on offense. With our lineup we should have an above average defense without much additions.

DEFENSE LINEUP

Defensive Ends- Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Eugene Sims, William Hayes, Ethan Westbrooks
Defensive Tackles- Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Alex Carrington
Linebackers- James Laurinaitis, JoLonn Dunbar, Alec Olgetree, VETERAN FREE AGENT, Darren Bates
Corner backs- Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines, Lamarcus Joyner, Marcus Roberson
Safeties- Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald, Maurice Alexander, Cody Davis

DEFENSE OVERVIEW

Overall, the defense is all ready in place to dominate. The loss of Chris Long, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, and a pitiful offense has been the reason the defense has been struggling. With the addition of an experience linebacker through free agency, and an improved offense the defense should be a top 10 unit next year.

OFFENSE

The offense is the side of the ball that we should focus on improving. We need a team that can dominate time of possession and put up points. We can't have our defense on the field the whole game. To improve the offense I think we should cut Bradford and resign him to a very cheap prove it deal. Bradford is a great quarterback that would do wonders for this team if not injured. We should start him this year and draft a quarterback to develop under him. I think Mariota and Winston will be gone before we pick so we should wait until the second or third round to get a guy like Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty to play behind Bradford. I think we should draft a number one wide receiver and a lot of offensive lineman. I would really like to take Amari Cooper in round one. Cooper is a number one receiver and looks like he could be a top 10 wide receiver in this league. He has great size, speed, and is a great route runner. He is the total package. In round two I would like to take a center like Reese Dismukes from Auburn. Dismukes is really putting it together down in Auburn and would really help out our offensive line. In the third round I would like to take a QB like Bryce Petty or Brett Hundley whoever falls. This is what our offense should do.

OFFENSE LINEUP

Quarterback- Sam Bradford, Brett Hundley / Bryce Petty, Austin Davis
Offensive Tackles- Greg Robinson, Joe Barksdale
Offense Guard- Rodger Saffold, Barrett Jones
Center- Reese Dismukes
Running Backs- Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason
Wide Receivers- Amari Cooper, Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey

OFFENSE OVERVIEW

Overall, I feel like we really need to focus on the offense in the future. We should get Bradford back on the cheap. Get a developmental quarterback to develop underneath Bradford. Lastly, we should get a for sure game changing wide receiver to pair with Quick, and shore up the offensive line. This is my overview of the offense changes.

Overall, this is what I think the Rams should do. Well this is my two cents what do you guys think?

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Nice post and welcome to the board, I would only disagree with a couple of points. As far as the defense goes I don't think it's fine. We lack speed and athleticism at linebacker. We need to upgrade at mlb and wlb. We also need a top notch free safety.

As for the offensive line I'm looking forward to seeing what Jones can do at center but I don't like him at guard. He's a technician not a road grader. If he pans out at center I would leave him there and draft a road grader guard.

I agree a dynamic playmaking wr like Cooper or White could do wonders for the offense.

T-Hawks

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I am saying our defense is serviceable. We need our offense to be an actual offense that can actually take some time off the clock and put some points up.

jjab360

Legend
Yeah I am saying our defense is serviceable. We need our offense to be an actual offense that can actually take some time off the clock and put some points up.
Talent wise our defense would appear to be just fine. Yet they somehow can't manage to turn that talent into even an average performance on Sundays..

Cody Leach

UDFA
Name
Cody
i personally think this is the year we must sign a FA AND trade up to pick up an extra first. We need top notch talent now, not depth.

I would sign the best 2 ol we can get, draft Cooper or Landon Collins with our first pick and then pick up Perryman from Miami, the MLB (JL55 is not good). then in the third round draft Petty, or any other qb our organization likes. This is the year J fish must go all in to keep his job, and i see him doing that.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome T-Hawks.
Your 2 cents are always welcome here.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Hi guys I have a read a lot of comments this season about the Rams. I have been following the team for a long time and I will give my two cents.

DEFENSE

I think the state of the defense is just fine, and we should not worry about the defense at all in the upcoming draft. I think we can add a linebacker in free agency and be set at defense. Our defense is doing just fine right now. We are expecting them to play perfect games, but that is not possible. Whenever your offense goes nine straight possessions with out points no defense can win. With a solid offense that can put up some points and take time off of the clock our defense will be fine. Overall, all of the comments about how our defense is bad is just false. The defense is on the field the whole game and that is not how we win. In this draft we should focus all on offense. With our lineup we should have an above average defense without much additions.

DEFENSE LINEUP

Defensive Ends- Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Eugene Sims, William Hayes, Ethan Westbrooks
Defensive Tackles- Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Alex Carrington
Linebackers- James Laurinaitis, JoLonn Dunbar, Alec Olgetree, VETERAN FREE AGENT, Darren Bates
Corner backs- Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines, Lamarcus Joyner, Marcus Roberson
Safeties- Rodney McLeod, T.J. McDonald, Maurice Alexander, Cody Davis

DEFENSE OVERVIEW

Overall, the defense is all ready in place to dominate. The loss of Chris Long, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, and a pitiful offense has been the reason the defense has been struggling. With the addition of an experience linebacker through free agency, and an improved offense the defense should be a top 10 unit next year.

OFFENSE

The offense is the side of the ball that we should focus on improving. We need a team that can dominate time of possession and put up points. We can't have our defense on the field the whole game. To improve the offense I think we should cut Bradford and resign him to a very cheap prove it deal. Bradford is a great quarterback that would do wonders for this team if not injured. We should start him this year and draft a quarterback to develop under him. I think Mariota and Winston will be gone before we pick so we should wait until the second or third round to get a guy like Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty to play behind Bradford. I think we should draft a number one wide receiver and a lot of offensive lineman. I would really like to take Amari Cooper in round one. Cooper is a number one receiver and looks like he could be a top 10 wide receiver in this league. He has great size, speed, and is a great route runner. He is the total package. In round two I would like to take a center like Reese Dismukes from Auburn. Dismukes is really putting it together down in Auburn and would really help out our offensive line. In the third round I would like to take a QB like Bryce Petty or Brett Hundley whoever falls. This is what our offense should do.

OFFENSE LINEUP

Quarterback- Sam Bradford, Brett Hundley / Bryce Petty, Austin Davis
Offensive Tackles- Greg Robinson, Joe Barksdale
Offense Guard- Rodger Saffold, Barrett Jones
Center- Reese Dismukes
Running Backs- Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason
Wide Receivers- Amari Cooper, Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey

OFFENSE OVERVIEW

Overall, I feel like we really need to focus on the offense in the future. We should get Bradford back on the cheap. Get a developmental quarterback to develop underneath Bradford. Lastly, we should get a for sure game changing wide receiver to pair with Quick, and shore up the offensive line. This is my overview of the offense changes.

Overall, this is what I think the Rams should do. Well this is my two cents what do you guys think?

I like your thoughts on the defence. After Sunday it's good to read something that isn't quite as knee jerk as my own thoughts have been. It's easy to forget that even the worst defence can't harm its own team if it's not on the field. I think you're spot on with the need for a linebacker.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
My thoughts?
1. I think we really need an athletic linebacker; and a rookie more than a veteran free agent.
2. Is Rodney McLeod the guy at S for the future? He could be upgraded with a premium pick.
3. At guard - is Barrett Jones good enough? He's shown nothing in a Rams jersey yet - but you're plugging him in as our starting guard?
4. Amari Cooper? Yeah the guys an absolute stud - but will we be in a position to get him given the holes (mainly on the offensive line) we still have on this team? I don't think WR is a priority.

Other than that I agree and thanks for the post! Welcome aboard.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If you base it off our last game, all points are valid. However, this offense has put up plenty of points to win games this year and the defense has let them down time and time again. In all, I tend to agree with you, but I think we are only a few key pieces away on BOTH sides of the ball. Unfortunately, those would be very key positions (QB, LB, OL).

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
with schotty as OC, well always be average at best. Never spectacular, never really bad.. just vanilla paint by numbers ok

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I WANT to believe the defense is okay. I don't want to think that this team has to build that side of the ball up to be a contender. I WANT to buy into their press clippings.

But on Sundays I just don't see it.

I see a dysfunctional unit. Yes--they DO have talent. I really believe they do. But through either coaching or execution they fall short.

I watched the Redskins blitz Tony Romo to the tune of 5 sacks for 54 yards. They beat the crap out of him. I got curious so I looked up the rest of the Cowboy's games. Their great offensive line has given up at least one sack in every single game they've played....except one: the Rams game. The Rams could not touch him. And yes--the Rams are dead last this year in sacks with an embarrassing 6.

I don't have any answers. I can't watch the game and see where this guy or that guy did not execute properly because I don't know what they're supposed to d0 on any given play. I just see results.

The results this year are not good.

I had very high hopes this year and being 20th in total defense does not meet my expectations.

Now the injuries have kicked in which will only make it tougher to evaluate the team going forward.

I love optimism and I hope this is just a one year aberration and that next year we can flush this season of injuries and poor performance down the drain and can think about just filling holes here and there to become a contender.

But as I sit here today I don't know what the state of the Rams is these days. I have nothing but uncertainty about next season. I just don't know.

There is no question they HAVE to address the offensive line. They rely far too much on injury plagued players at that spot.

Either way, I'll be here cheering them on and hoping for an exciting season.

jap

Legend

We have players, especially a lot of young players, learning the Greg Williams defense and philosophy. The read & react theme hasn't fully click with some yet (e.g., 'Tree).

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Welcome aboard T-Hawks
you're right about our defense with the lineup we have we should be above average.And I think they will get there once they all learn GW defense and avoid any major injuries.