My thinking on best Ram strategy at 19 has evolved…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I had previously thought that Edge was biggest need since none were signed in FA. Deliberately so, I might add.

But now?

I think that it could go in many different directions, depending on who falls.

So many positions now fit Rams need/value parameters.

Edge
DT
CB
LOT
WR

Heck, maybe even QB if someone they love falls.

A Snead trade down would not cause me to fall out of my recliner, either.

Gonna just keep educating myself on these prospects and leave the driving to Snead/McVay.

I will say just 2 things.

First, I fully expect 4 quality players added by end of Day 2, with at least 2 of them Day 1 starters.

Second, I don’t envy mock drafters for Rams picks this year. Truly a crapshoot. Throwing darts might be just as accurate.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Edge still might be the biggest need (although Hampton did perform pretty well for his few snaps, he's still pretty raw). At least we still have 2 quality DL and I have some hopes for Durant and Tomlinson improving. Either way, I'd have it:
1. Edge
2. DT
3. CB
4. WR/LT

I'd really hope for our 1st 3 picks to be all D. I like the depth of CB far more then Edge or DT, so ultimately, thats the one I'd wait on more of the needed D positions.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Appreciate the post. Not sure anyone's idea of who to draft shouldn't evolve as we continue to learn more info about the players and our needs.

Right now I would say hell no on a QB and don't think there's a tackle worth taking where we pick over other talent available but there's always a chance I'll change my mind with new info!

My biggest evolution will of course be, when we eventually pick someone... they will have been my choice all along.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’ll be awful torn if Q. Mitchell, J Verse, and or L. Latu are still there at 19. Which way do you go then?

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The best strategy is not to trade down after I've waited up until the middle of the night to see the pick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The best strategy is not to trade down after I've waited up until the middle of the night to see the pick.
Even if it’s just into the 20’s? I mean sleep can be way overrated. :yawn::sleepy:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Same. Coverage first, pass rush second.
I'd like to compare the players first... but I can see an argument for Mitchell being better than Verse and Latu. And I like both Verse and Latu, just worried that they're more #2 pass rushers where Mitchell is more likely a blue chip corner.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pulling AD out of this roster drops the quality of not only the DT group but also the Edge group. So they need to find a DT now who is a starter level player, who can step in day one and do the job vs run or pass. And Edge is still a top need. Due to supply and demand Edge has to be #1 on that list.

Now the change for myself is LT becomes unlikely because I have to admit that it's not as dire as the defensive front when AJax got us through a successful season. They cannot fix everything, they don't have the picks. So I don't know what they do if LT falls to them at 19. Simply from that perspective of supply and demand it is like one of the QBs falling or a blue chip from any position where they probably need to take it. I mean if Odunze were to fall to 19 for example I would say they would take him. That sort of thing is unavoidable if you want to draft well I think, that the board has to be honored when a guy from a higher grouping falls to you. So they of course are totally at the mercy of 18 teams ahead of them making their selections.

But aside from someone of big value sliding if they don't juice this defensive front (both Edge and DT) they're gonna be in trouble on defense. So of course they're gonna focus on those at high priority, just a question of whether the players are there on the board to support it. If not, and assuming a high value player of another position isn't there, then it seems a move down becomes a priority for them. And with Snead's rep around the league he probably gets calls for many of his picks in that regard so it should be doable.

So for me the change of AD retiring is that I expect the defensive front is probably the pick at 19 (Edge > DT), or a move down. They know they can get wideout later. I think the picture is a little bit less muddied looking at the roster right now with FA mostly in the rear view. Also the talent feels like it lines up for that approach. They have a real chance for an Edge at 19, if the boards out there have any similarity to NFL GM preferences. And if they can nail that spot then the young corners have a little more room for error in their development.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd like to compare the players first... but I can see an argument for Mitchell being better than Verse and Latu. And I like both Verse and Latu, just worried that they're more #2 pass rushers where Mitchell is more likely a blue chip corner.
Of course, pressure makes your secondary better but it usually takes a season or two for young Edges to blossom. In my eyes, that makes me want to go with Mitchell. But what’s the best strategy this draft; Top tier Edge, 2nd tier DB or vice versa?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Of course, pressure makes your secondary better but it usually takes a season or two for young Edges to blossom. In my eyes, that makes me want to go with Mitchell. But what’s the best strategy this draft; Top tier Edge, 2nd tier DB or vice versa?
Depends on how the 1st round falls. The decision may be partially made for us.

If I were to rank defenders right now, might look like this
1) Turner
2) Mitchell
3) Verse
4) Arnold
5) Laitu
6) Murphy
7) DeJean
8) Newton
9) Wiggins
10) Darius Robinson
11) Chop Robinson
12) Kool-Aid
13) Rakestraw

This was just quickly done, I don't know that I exactly see it that way. And some of these guys scheme fit is an issue, think you could flip Verse and Laitu for some teams and Mitchell and Arnold for some teams. Unlike some WRs or tackles in this draft, there's not blue chip defenders that would just plug and play in all schemes. The defenders at the top of the draft this year all have warts.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
...They know they can get wideout later....
This is what I've been wondering about. Can they actually get wideout later? I know it's a deep WR class but what if they are specifically looking for a starting level X WR that is a vertical threat? How many of those are there? After the mid-2nd it doesn't look so great.

This is what keeps leading me to believe that WR may be a surprise early pick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is what I've been wondering about. Can they actually get wideout later? I know it's a deep WR class but what if they are specifically looking for a starting level X WR that is a vertical threat? How many of those are there? After the mid-2nd it doesn't look so great.

This is what keeps leading me to believe that WR may be a surprise early pick.
By the end of the 3rd, they will all be gone if you are looking for size and speed, which is what we need.