My Strategy to keep the dynasty alive

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
i would see if Cleveland interested in AD, they have drafted high for some time, do they have OL that might work for us?
I know they have draft picks, and start with 2#1's and then start negotiating
train

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I can see that (NE letting Donald walk)... but it wouldn't surprise me if they broke habit and paid a guy like that big bucks.

He's special... it's those other guys (many of whom you mentioned) that are good examples... guys who equate to Rams like Joyner... and others coming up this year.

Like I said, can't jettison everybody in a year when lots of contracts come up... but figure out the best combination of who stays and who goes, with consideration to:
1] $$$$$
2] Accumulating picks for the FUTURE

Look ahead... see what draft classes are going to look like in 2019... 2020... maybe they can let a Joyner go based on future draft class strengths.

Think outside the box a little, maybe... think more about tomorrow.

Just musing, I suppose.
Joyner strikes me as a guy Belichick would retain. He loves safeties, first of all, and I can't imagine Joyner breaks the bank - he's probably going to get something like Rodney McLeod dollars, so $35 million over 5 years. Dude's young, good against the pass, good against the run, and giving him a reasonable contract shouldn't impact your ability to put together a complete 52-man roster.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins are top-6 at their position in the NFL, which is pass-rushing OLB. They may be behind Donald, but not by that much - and they certainly weren't when they were traded.

Asante Samuel was a top-5 CB - not re-signed.
Mike Vrabel was a difference-making LB - traded.
Richard Seymour was one of the best 3-4 DEs in the game - traded.
Ty Law was probably the best CB in the NFL - gone.
Lawyer Milloy, BELOVED by the team and perhaps the best SS in the NFL - cut.

Donald is a beast. Again, I think he's the best player in the NFL. But I couldn't fathom Bill Belichick paying him Von Miller money - or anyone.

Except maybe a really, really great fullback who also plays gunner on kickoffs.
Again, none of which were Donald’s caliber.
Vrabel? Are you kidding man? He was a throw in in the Casell deal and was done. Wasn’t a money gig.
They were blessed with guys like Bruschi and Mcghinist and rotated out other players. Dbacks I get why they didn’t over pay.
But he never had a Donald.
He wouldn’t let a defensive talent like that go.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unless the players we let go in FA sign big contracts and play well elsewhere we get nothing back from them. Hard to accumulate picks if you have no valuable players under contract to trade.
Trade them before their contract ends... no?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Build the defense. They were solid, but came up short of where they need to be overall. Offense does have some needs, but if you finish building the defense around Donald with some young pieces this team is going to be a perennial playoff group.
Yep. Offense wins divisional titles but defense wins championships.

We now have a legit QB in a legit offensive system but the defense needs to be pushed into that elite status.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who specifically are you advocating trading that would have any value to another team?
Obviously, free agents make no sense... just using those names, pretending that they were in the last year of their contracts.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
In a nutshell. Good article.
I agree.
The Pats have an interesting blueprint:
Pay your verifiable elite players market value.
Stock pile 2nd Round Draft picks.
Attract high level contributors who will trade discount market value for winning.
Cut bait when high level contributors are due market value and won't take discount.
Replace with high level contributors - who will take discount- via free agency or one of your stockpiled 2nd Round draft picks.

Nobody stockpiles more 2nd round draft picks in trades than the Pats. Hell, they gave Grabmypole away for a 2nd round pick when they certainly could have got a first round pick.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
The problem with the OP’s logic is that we haven’t established ourselves as a perennially excellent team. The Pats had a solid foundation on both sides of the ball for years and developed solid depth where eventually the older guys were able to be replaced. We’ll get there but I don’t think this is the year we can just dump some key contributors.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
No way we should let Joyner or NRC walk .

The pats have systems in play that mask talent , they draft guys that fit the system .

They dont pay running backs and Recievers because their offensive scheme can be run fine with mediocre players around a great line and accurate QB . Mcvay system might prove to do the same but it is too early to take weapons away from jared .

We also have a top running back which will become expensive soon , pats never did .

Our team is very young and I hope we can keep most of these pieces and make this a franchise but guys will need to take pay cuts for the better of the team

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Again, none of which were Donald’s caliber.
Vrabel? Are you kidding man? He was a throw in in the Casell deal and was done. Wasn’t a money gig.
They were blessed with guys like Bruschi and Mcghinist and rotated out other players. Dbacks I get why they didn’t over pay.
But he never had a Donald.
He wouldn’t let a defensive talent like that go.
I disagree. We will never know, as Donald is not nor will ever be a Pat, but I'll keep going back to Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins as evidence that Belichick will trade instead of pay top-caliber front-7 pass rushing talent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. We will never know, as Donald is not nor will ever be a Pat, but I'll keep going back to Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins as evidence that Belichick will trade instead of pay top-caliber front-7 pass rushing talent.
Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones arent in Donald's league. May as well compare Case Keenum to Tom Brady

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offensive Points/game for the trio in that powerful division in which NE has won 11 Division titles (9 straight from 09-17) from 06-17. Mia and NE had the same record in 08 but Mia won the tie-breaker and the div title. Only division in NFL where the word Parity doesn't exist.

2017:
Buffalo - 22nd
Jets - 24th
Mia - 28th
2016:
Buffalo - 10th
Jets - 30th
Mia - 17th
2015:
Buffalo - 12th
Jets - 11th
Mia - 27th
2014:
Buffalo - 26th
Jets - 22nd
Mia - 14th
2013:
Buffalo - 22nd
Jets - 29th
Mia - 26th
2012:
Buffalo - 21st
Jets - 28th
Mia - 27th
2011:
Buffalo - 14th
Jets - 13th
Mia - 20th
2010:
Buffalo - 28th
Jets - 13th
Mia - 30th
2009:
Buffalo - 28th
Jets - 13th
Mia - 30th
2008:
Buffalo - 23nd
Jets - 9th
Mia - 21st
2007:
Buffalo - 30th
Jets - 25th
Mia - 26th
2006:
Buffalo - 23rd
Jets - 18th
Mia - 29th

It's a hugely underrated aspect of the Patriots success. I doubt any 3 teams have ever been that bad for that long, maybe even dating back to the old days where each division had 5 teams instead of 4.

The Patriots are good, obviously, but having a guaranteed division title every year gives you a good shot at a first round bye, which gives you a great shot at making the AFCCG. When you really think about it, it's not that surprising that they have made the super bowl as many times as they have.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams drafted well in 2017. Have a 1st round pick this year, can see a trade down or 2 or accumulate more picks. Seattle has done that in past drafts, last year added an extra 3rd, 4th and 6th, moved from pick 26 to pick 35. Rams need to add a T and G or C, an outside CB or 2, a couple of LBers, depending on what is done with Barron and Quinn. The best way to keep the winning ongoing is adding talent thru the draft. Need picks to do that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Follow the Billecheat plan? Invest in high tech surveillance and hire ex NSA operatives to pose as towel guys to obtain oponents signals before games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dynasty....Luck...no not the QB...actual luck....

Coaching....then

QB

NE is successful because of two things: very good, stable coaching and a very good, stable QB.

McVay seems to be good at both acquiring talent that fits his system and adjusting his system to the talent on the roster... that's the most important part.

And NE would never spend what it will cost to retain Donald. They've never invested in superstar players - they'd rather have three Brockers-level players than one Donald.
Exactly...it's system over....anything...all players are expendable...except the

QB
Most depressing time of the year. Playoffs still going on and we got beaten badly by a team in the Wild Card round. I understand this "dynasty" is a hypothetical, but it also seems to be a cruel discussion in a way. We have to win a Championship to start a dynasty, and right now that seems very far away....

Glad you told em Loyal...I still have crosses burning on my lawn for suggesting the #1 offense crapped the bed at home last week. LOLOLOL

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad you told em Loyal...I still have crosses burning on my lawn for suggesting the #1 offense crapped the bed at home last week. LOLOLOL

I love that I have only two comments about the post: one different opinion and one thread winner, lol.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Do you pay him?
Is he worth it?
Is one Aaron Donald more useful to your team - hell, to your defense - than, say, a Lamarcus Joyner, an EJ Gaines and a Dontari Poe?

Need only to put on the Rams week 15 game against Seattle to answer that.

Donald is a franchise cornerstone, the bedrock of the Rams defensive success.

It will be a lot easier to replace other players in FA than it will be to replace him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This thread has way too many patsie references and verges on being locked. And I'm not even sure blue font was appropriate there. Maybe this color is better.