My State of the Rams: still some potential for next year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
After 3 years of a relatively good rebuild Fisher and the FO completely shit the bed with their "talent scouting" in Foles ( and of course the extension before a single game played) idiots! period. I for one knew that Foles one hot season was a product of Chip Kelly minimizing Foles weaknesses.Ever notice the longer he holds onto the ball the worst he throws it. he only survived and thew a decent pass was quick off the first read. unless you figure how to replicate that then it's over for Foles. and the ridiculous idea I said was to start two rookies, a first year center, one veteran that always gets hurt and a struggling and awful 1st round LT. and banking on two more rookie backups and a backup LG playing a little subpar. and fisher PUSHED for Foles by the way. line is putrid between mistakes and injuries. go figure.

Solution. trying to keep the best defensive players under contract. idk what to do about Foles. if he's too expensive to get rid of then keep him as backup or 3rd and find the best FA QB we can ( I don't think theres much in the draft). draft high in another top LT move Rob inside. and start thinking the Coach B may be a bit part responsible.

- have at me if you want

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Solution. trying to keep the best defensive players under contract. idk what to do about Foles. if he's too expensive to get rid of then keep him as backup or 3rd and find the best FA QB we can ( I don't think theres much in the draft). draft high in another top LT move Rob inside. and start thinking the Coach B may be a bit part responsible.

Just cut him and eat the cap hit. I don't think he's salvageable. And I don't see how anyone who is a holdover on the offensive side of the ball could ever have even a sliver of confidence in him again after his horrible play this year. He needs to go rework his entire game to be a serviceable NFL QB, and the Rams simply do not have the time nor should the invest the resources in being the ones doing it. See what you've got in Mannion, sign a FA, and/or draft somebody next year. But forget about Foles, even as a backup.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As bad as this offense is, trying to turn the defense into an elite unit and win with it is futile. Even the Bears or Ravens superbowl teams didn't pitch 16 shutouts. Its a shame the offense was so historically bad. The window of opportunity to make this defense an elite unit was this season. But the offense put so much strain of the defense its finally breaking.

There's a good chance we'll lose a couple key components of this defense during the offseason. And they're not likely to replace them with similar caliber players. They just don't spend like that in free agency. Even if they did, the offense will be so bad it won't matter.

I do agree the only way to avoid GRob turning into a bust is to move him inside. He's like Foles in that he's getting worse with each passing game. But Fisher doesn't seem like he's interested in doing that.

I believe Fisher is returning for a 5th season. Kroenke isn't concerned with the day to day operations of the team. He can't be bothered with a new coaching search. So that means we'll be seeing more of the same. Fisher never has put a lot of stock in pro bowl caliber receivers or quarterbacks. And he whiffed with the draft picks on the line. What we've been watching this year will continue next year. Except that we won't have those 4 early wins.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think you cut Foles, eat the cap space and draft our future at QB. If Janoris Jenkins or Trumaine Johnson or both have to be cap casualties (or both) for us to throw money at a top elite WR so be it. Then you draft a guard or center in round 2.

That goes some way to fixing things in my mind. Of course you're stuck with the fact that if you wrongly assess the talent of the guys you pick then nothing improves.

We're stuck another year with G Rob at LT in my plan btw. Sorry. I've only got so many imaginary draft picks to work with....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We have the entire draft to commit to the offensive side of the ball (and that better be what happens; I'd be willing to see one mid round pick spent on a DE or MLB). Likely getting a QB in the process. We also have the cap space to grab a free agent or two for the offense.

The line will be more experienced next year and, hopefully, also healthier.

Hopefully, we get an improved OC. I don't think we could do much worse than what we had.

The defence is already stout.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the state of the Rams for 2016. All we lack is an average offence. One off-season should be enough to secure that when you consider we have an extra 2nd rounder and already have Gurley and Austin on the roster.

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem is there is no quick fix at QB.
Amen.
For teams that have been bad for this long it often seems there is no fix. No fix that works. A guy with some ideal talents (Bradford) can't stay on the field....a guy who is tough and has some holes in game (Foles) completely regresses.
How many times have the Rams drafted a QB post Bulger? Teams like SD (Brees, Rivers), GB (Favre, Rogers), Indy (Manning, Luck) and Im going to include Denver (Manning, Osweiler.....yes, I think he is going to be very good) have gotten lucky with drafting excellent QBs and allowing them to sit (exception Luck). There are many more teams like the Rams, Washington, Oakland, Cleveland and the list goes on, that have brought in multiple guys and it just never works out.
Taking the approach that taking someone high in the first round assures anything is sort of foolish in my opinion. I want to add another young QB that is in the league now, sign a FA and draft a guy this coming year.
Ram fans were making fun of Cousins and the Redskins but this is a playoff team with him throwing the ball.