My rental nightmare is over.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Anyone else ever had a deadbeat renter in your place that wouldn't leave?

I've had this nightmare situation going now for almost 6 months. I own a house in Camarillo that I was renting to this 52 year old welder guy. He stopped paying his rent 6 months ago and refused to leave my house. I had to give him notice, file an unlawful detainer against him and go through the whole legal process. I lost 6 months of rental income and then spent several thousand getting him out.

Finally got the guy out today but I had to pay him to leave because I screwed up when I served him the eviction notice and the process was going to have to be started all over again and it would have been months more of losing money. Plus this guy was tearing my house to pieces.

This douche owes me $9600 in back rent and thousands in property damage and I ended up having to write all that off as a loss and then pay him $2000 to get the hell out. Unbelievable!

Tell you one thing. I'm done renting out my house.

cracengl

Rookie
I had a bad experience, but nothing like that. We rented my wife's old house out because the housing market crapped out and after building our new house, we would have had to shell out 25 - 30 k just to make up the difference between what we could reasonably expect to sell it for and the amount left on the mortgage. Anyway, this lady rented it with her daughter. Well, it really just was too expensive for this lady to handle. When she moved in, the daughter had a job. Not long after she decided to be lazy and got fired. Anyway, she spent most of a year coming up with one excuse or another about why she was late on the rent. After the first year, around lease renewal time, she informed us she was moving out. Then closer to time for the year to be up, she calls and asks if she can sign a new lease because she had some things happen positive and would be able to afford it better. So another 6 months go by and she informs us she is breaking the lease early and will be out by the 2nd week of January. So, we decide to contact the bank and ended up doing a deed in lieu on it to basically give it back to the bank without having to go through short selling it. The time comes when she is about to be gone and we ask what day specifically she will be gone so we can notify the bank and she informs us she is staying month-to-month. She tried to lie and say that my wife told her she could stay longer on a month to month basis. So my wife calls her and basically calls her on her bullshit and she launches into this whole spiel about how her daughter is pregnant (because she was apparently banging all the guys in the neighborhood) and that she didn't have a new place to move to because she couldn't find a place that would let her have her pets. Then she had the nerve to suggest that we owed her her deposit back when the lease clearly said that she would forfeit it if she decided to leave early. Anyway, she eventually left. She left the house in really good shape and all we were out was some late fees that we told her she owed and never paid. Plus she essentially stayed there a month without paying rent, but since we were getting rid of the house, it wasn't a big deal.

So my experience was not nearly as bad as yours, but I'm not too stoked to ever be a landlord again.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
That's a bummer but at least you got him out. Crazy that we live in a world where adults aren't responsible enough to pay rent. You should try to recoup some of your loses on Judge Judy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Only in California!!

Back home in Ohio I had rental property for a few years, 7 years actually. I had some great tenants and a couple of bad ones. The good news is that WAY before it gets to the point where you got to there is a type of eviction called "move to curb". After a certain amount of time you file the paperwork with the court, and you get a date where you can open the place with a sheriff present to make sure nothing out of line happens and you can pay a moving crew or get friends to remove all of the belongings and place them at the curb. Anyone can come by and pick what they want out of the pile too. The tenant gets a letter explaining the process so generally they leave before it happens of course.

The one time I had to do it the guy left the day before. I had a friend who had a pickup truck on stand by to grab the electronics and other valuable stuff to make up for the money I was owed.

Only in CA do you end up having to give money to someone who is fucking you over. This is why I should be King, shit would be different.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Only in California!!

Back home in Ohio I had rental property for a few years, 7 years actually. I had some great tenants and a couple of bad ones. The good news is that WAY before it gets to the point where you got to there is a type of eviction called "move to curb". After a certain amount of time you file the paperwork with the court, and you get a date where you can open the place with a sheriff present to make sure nothing out of line happens and you can pay a moving crew or get friends to remove all of the belongings and place them at the curb. Anyone can come by and pick what they want out of the pile too. The tenant gets a letter explaining the process so generally they leave before it happens of course.

The one time I had to do it the guy left the day before. I had a friend who had a pickup truck on stand by to grab the electronics and other valuable stuff to make up for the money I was owed.

Only in CA do you end up having to give money to someone who is freaking you over. This is why I should be King, crap would be different.
I was just going to ask if it is this way in other states.
I have similar stories as Pancake from friends with rental property.
You can't kick people out.

I also read a story about a woman (not in CA) that came home from vacation and found a squatter living in her house. She couldn't get her out either. She was forced to live with her until the legal process played out.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Why couldn't you have him arrested? 6 months? I would have punted the guy in the ass to get the hell out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone else ever had a deadbeat renter in your place that wouldn't leave?

I've had this nightmare situation going now for almost 6 months. I own a house in Camarillo that I was renting to this 52 year old welder guy. He stopped paying his rent 6 months ago and refused to leave my house. I had to give him notice, file an unlawful detainer against him and go through the whole legal process. I lost 6 months of rental income and then spent several thousand getting him out.

Finally got the guy out today but I had to pay him to leave because I screwed up when I served him the eviction notice and the process was going to have to be started all over again and it would have been months more of losing money. Plus this guy was tearing my house to pieces.

This douche owes me $9600 in back rent and thousands in property damage and I ended up having to write all that off as a loss and then pay him $2000 to get the hell out. Unbelievable!

Tell you one thing. I'm done renting out my house.

Thats crazy!

Why did he stop paying rent?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats crazy!

Why did he stop paying rent?
He was spending his money on drugs and alcohol instead of paying his bills. That's my guess anyway since I found hundreds of beer cans in the back yard today.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He was spending his money on drugs and alcohol instead of paying his bills. That's my guess anyway since I found hundreds of beer cans in the back yard today.

I was asking because I wondered if he lost his job. But even then, a home is priority to pay.

To damage your property is NOT cool at all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Hahaha possibly true, though over the years I had a couple of guys we rented to that were perfectly fine tenants. Left the place clean and orderly. One scrubbed the place down so much I joked we should have him clean our place too!