My Rams Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speeps

Starter
How's it going everyone? With the new season quickly approaching, I'd like to see some of your ideas for how to structure the Rams offseason. Below is my idea of an ideal, yet realistic scenario.

- Renegotiate a more friendly deal with Sam Bradford
-Resign Kenny Britt
-Resign TE Lance Kendricks
-Resign Rodney McLeod
-Resign Tim Barnes
-Resign Brandon Washington
-Cut Jake Long
-Cut Scott Wells
-Move Gregg Robinson to LT
-Sign OLB Sean Weatherspoon or OLB Malcom Smith
-Sign C Rodney Hudson
-Sign LG James Carpenter
-Let Joe Barksdale walk (Good player, we need an upgrade, if we resign it's for depth purposes)
-In the draft send this years 1st round pick, next years first round pick, Sam Bradford, and 2017's second round pick to Tampa Bay for the number 1 overall pick. Select QB Jameis Winston.
-Second round: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma
-Third Round: Right Tackle: Corey Robinson
-Fourth Round: Jacoby Glenn, CB, Central Florida

Discuss and share!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How's it going everyone? With the new season quickly approaching, I'd like to see some of your ideas for how to structure the Rams offseason. Below is my idea of an ideal, yet realistic scenario.

-Resign Kenny Britt
-Resign Rodney McLeod
-Resign Tim Barnes
-Cut Jake Long
-Cut Scott Wells
-Sign C Rodney Hudson
-Sign LG James Carpenter
-Let Joe Barksdale walk (Good player, we need an upgrade, if we resign it's for depth purposes)
-In the draft send this years 1st round pick, next years first round pick, Sam Bradford, and 2017's second round pick to Tampa Bay for the number 1 overall pick. Select QB Jameis Winston.

Discuss and share!

That's a lot to give up for a guy that has way too many question marks. Now, I do think he'll go top 5 at this point. But I'm not willing to give up that much to try him out.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
In the draft send this years 1st round pick, next years first round pick, Sam Bradford, and 2017's second round pick to Tampa Bay for the number 1 overall pick. Select QB Jameis Winston.

Yeah, this one made me throw up in the back of my mouth. Way too much to pay, IMO, and for a player I would not draft if he was on the board when we select at 10.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

You should call the Redskins and ask them what they think of this idea :whistle:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Why would we redo Sam's deal and then trade him and a significant chunk of our future in an abysmally stupid move for a guy who'll be worthless?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Why would we redo Sam's deal and then trade him and a significant chunk of our future in an abysmally stupid move for a guy who'll be worthless?
That's what I thought. You re-do his contract to make the trade easier?

But no way in the world I give up all that for Winston

Speeps

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh man, so much hostility LOL. Let's keep it friendly.

My thinking is this. Remember before Jenoris Jenkins, Kenny Britt, and to a lesser extent Ogletree came to the Rams? Remember their reputations? Britt was supposed to be a hot head, that fails to run routes, and refuse to play in games. Jenkins was going to be kicked out of the league and have all these off the field issues. Ogletree was supposedly a guy that has a knack for getting into trouble. They all come to the Rams, and what do we hear about them? Zilch. Britt is a role model like player for our WR's. Jenkins is a great teammate, and Ogletree has been on his best behavior.

So in come this knucklehead QB that stole some crab legs, yet he has all the talent and make up of an NFL QB. And tremendous football leadership qualities, that's passionate about the game, and have proven to be a winner and clutch. So what better scenario for him to go to than for a team that has taken players like him, and placed them into a system, and has helped them become upstanding citizens.

In fact, it also creates a brotherhood of individuals that can say "hey bro, I used to be like this, now look at me."

I understand the fears of giving up too many draft picks, but how else do you think you get to the number 1 overall pick? IMO, Jamies is worth it, and unless we want to be stuck in the perpetual cycle of hoping Sam is ok, or searching for mid-round prospects, we need a bold move.

Another reason why the move may work, is because of the position of the roster. This roster is in really good shape. We are in a position to take a risk (although I don't know if it's as big as a risk as people are thinking).

I'd love to hear others opinions.

Speeps

Starter
That's what I thought. You re-do his contract to make the trade easier?
But no way in the world I give up all that for Winston
This. You redo the deal to make the trade easier.

Would you guys give it up for Mariotta?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would love to have Winston on this team.

But not at that price - or really anything close to it.

Speeps

Starter
If only that was even close to the only problem...
Please elaborate.

I'd also like to keep this discussion solely on the plan, but I understand we have to talk about Winston the player as well. For example, would you guys feel better if it were Mariotta instead of Winston?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Therein lies would the Bucs even give up the #1 pick? I doubt it even for that ransom. I don't think Lovie or their GM would take Bradford.

We need to be very leary of injured FA acquisitions which Witherspoon and Carpenter reflect. Also, I don't see how in the world we can afford Hudson too.

If you really want Winston I don't see the Rams being involved.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Please elaborate.

I'd also like to keep this discussion solely on the plan, but I understand we have to talk about Winston the player as well. For example, would you guys feel better if it were Mariotta instead of Winston?
Here are the major issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jameis_Winston#Controversies

I would feel a lot better if this plan was for Mariota instead of Winston, as Mariota doesn't have the character red flags that would doom him as the face of a franchise, but I've seen a lot people saying that neither of them are anything more but best of a bad class and certainly aren't worth completely selling your future for.

Speeps

Starter
Here are the major issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jameis_Winston#Controversies

I would feel a lot better if this plan was for Mariota instead of Winston, as Mariota doesn't have the character red flags that would doom him as the face of a franchise, but I've seen a lot people saying that neither of them are anything more but best of a bad class and certainly aren't worth completely selling your future for.
Yeah, I was a little hesitant at first about giving up so much for Winston. But I had to factor in the environment. For example, if i was mocking an offseason for Buffalo, and they were in the same position as the Rams, but with their current FO and Coaching structure, no way would I give up that much for Winston. But I think Fisher and Co, knows how to deal with this type of guy and have a good track record of it.

How do you think we should fix our QB situation?

Rams43

Hall of Fame

-Resign Kenny Britt
-Resign Rodney McLeod
-Resign Tim Barnes
-Cut Jake Long
-Cut Scott Wells
-Sign C Rodney Hudson
-Sign LG James Carpenter

Discuss and share!

You had me until The Trade, Speeps. Lol.

I wouldn't give up all that for anything less than an Andrew Luck type elite talent with NO question marks whatsoever. Anything less and I have to say no thanks.

And adding DGB in the 2nd is entirely too much more unneeded character risk. Too many other top football players without character issues will be there for us to choose from.

But I did like your proposed moves prior to The Trade.

Speeps

Starter
Therein lies would the Bucs even give up the #1 pick? I doubt it even for that ransom. I don't think Lovie or their GM would take Bradford.
Read the OP. It's clearly a thread discussing your ideal situation, but staying realistic in your approach.

No Long, Bradford, or Wells clears up A LOT of space.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yeah, I was a little hesitant at first about giving up so much for Winston. But I had to factor in the environment. For example, if i was mocking an offseason for Buffalo, and they were in the same position as the Rams, but with their current FO and Coaching structure, no way would I give up that much for Winston. But I think Fisher and Co, knows how to deal with this type of guy and have a good track record of it.

How do you think we should fix our QB situation?
As I said in another post, Fisher is not a magic fix all for bad character. Pacman Jones ended up a wasted pick under his watch, and I'm strongly concerned Winston would be as well. This is more a reflection on Winston and how bad character tends to fail at this level, and less on Fisher or anyone on the Rams.

My current preference on how to fix the QB is to go with Bradford another year, preferably with a contract that lowers his base pay but enables him to earn all that pay back through incentives if he's healthy. Then do whatever we can to upgrade at backup QB, even if it creates a QB controversy later, which probably means a 2nd - 4th round QB.

And yeah, Bradford might get hurt again, and we'd be forced to draft a high level QB next year when the selection is better. But that's a better move than to trade the future to bring in a guy with so many character issues that his success probability would be comparable to a lottery ticket. Look how Manziel did this year, and note that Manziel's character red flags aren't even in the same ballpark as Winston's.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would pull the trigger on trading for Winston for that price and more if I was in that position...

Problem is, Tampon isn't going to pass on Winston at ANY price I'm afraid. They are going to be set at QB for a very long time as a result of it. Winston is going to excel in the NFL.