My Post Senior Bowl Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
Lane Johnson is no Jason Smith. Please don't even put them in the same sentence ever again. Johnson can play, is versatile, and way more athletic than Smith. Smith is a stiff piece of wood compared to Johnson. If you want to compare Lane to someone at similar points in their careers, think Ryan Clady. It's probably a moot point anyway, because I think Johnson, after the combine, will be out of our reach once all the teams watch his tape and see his freakish athletic ability.

A few DR's observations from the game:

Eric Fisher continues to climb the board, and his play in the game was very good. Kyle Long played very well in the game at both LT and LG. He handled the huge John Jenkins, who was supposed to clean his clock. Long kicked out on a hitch pass and buried the corner, and on another play chip blocked, then got to the second and third level and blocked a safety for about 4 seconds. He will run sub 5 at the combine. He plays with very good leverage, and I think he has a future in the league. The center from Cal, Brian Schwenke played well, he has very good feet. Larry Warford, the guard from Kentucky...big boy, absolutely buried about 3 people on a goal line play.

Switching gears, I'd love to see a player that I am really familiar with in horns: Datone Jones. Think younger, more athletic William Hayes, that everyone want to re-sign. I'd use a second round pick on him even though I know that is not a huge need. Rob Ryan would use him in a variety of ways. Zeke Ansah out of BYU, looked like JJP in the game. He's an absolute dominant beast. Kawann Short was a dominant force in the middle, and Jordan Hill had a few nice plays.

Linebackers that caught my eye: Xavier Gooden, very athletic former safety. Nico Johnson from Alabama, was around the ball a lot. Arthur Brown played decent.

Secondary players that flashed: First off, Nevada player Duke Williams cracked some skulls and took some names, including almost knocking himself out of the game. I didn't look at the stats, but he probably led the game in tackles. Alford was impressive, including his 80 yard return to kick the game off. Cyprien flashed. I thought Mark Anthony showed some excellent coverage skills, as did B.W. Webb, and Trufant. Rambo had an INT. Poyer showed some good and bad.

I can't really comment that much on the receivers, because I thought the QB play stunk. There were several guys that I liked throughout the week. Conner Vernon, the new Ricky Proehl? I did like King, Patton, Williams, and Wheaton. Goodwin caught a lot of underneath stuff and showed pretty good hands for a burner.

Running backs should have been featured more by both coaching staffs, but Gillislee, Taylor, and Franklin all showed well.

I'm sure I missed some players, there were some really good showings out there.

Some nice names there deeper on the board. Good stuff!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Lane Johnson is no Jason Smith. Please don't even put them in the same sentence ever again. Johnson can play, is versatile, and way more athletic than Smith. Smith is a stiff piece of wood compared to Johnson. If you want to compare Lane to someone at similar points in their careers, think Ryan Clady. It's probably a moot point anyway, because I think Johnson, after the combine, will be out of our reach once all the teams watch his tape and see his freakish athletic ability.

A few DR's observations from the game:

Eric Fisher continues to climb the board, and his play in the game was very good. Kyle Long played very well in the game at both LT and LG. He handled the huge John Jenkins, who was supposed to clean his clock. Long kicked out on a hitch pass and buried the corner, and on another play chip blocked, then got to the second and third level and blocked a safety for about 4 seconds. He will run sub 5 at the combine. He plays with very good leverage, and I think he has a future in the league. The center from Cal, Brian Schwenke played well, he has very good feet. Larry Warford, the guard from Kentucky...big boy, absolutely buried about 3 people on a goal line play.

Switching gears, I'd love to see a player that I am really familiar with in horns: Datone Jones. Think younger, more athletic William Hayes, that everyone want to re-sign. I'd use a second round pick on him even though I know that is not a huge need. Rob Ryan would use him in a variety of ways. Zeke Ansah out of BYU, looked like JJP in the game. He's an absolute dominant beast. Kawann Short was a dominant force in the middle, and Jordan Hill had a few nice plays.

Linebackers that caught my eye: Xavier Gooden, very athletic former safety. Nico Johnson from Alabama, was around the ball a lot. Arthur Brown played decent.

Secondary players that flashed: First off, Nevada player Duke Williams cracked some skulls and took some names, including almost knocking himself out of the game. I didn't look at the stats, but he probably led the game in tackles. Alford was impressive, including his 80 yard return to kick the game off. Cyprien flashed. I thought Mark Anthony showed some excellent coverage skills, as did B.W. Webb, and Trufant. Rambo had an INT. Poyer showed some good and bad.

I can't really comment that much on the receivers, because I thought the QB play stunk. There were several guys that I liked throughout the week. Conner Vernon, the new Ricky Proehl? I did like King, Patton, Williams, and Wheaton. Goodwin caught a lot of underneath stuff and showed pretty good hands for a burner.

Running backs should have been featured more by both coaching staffs, but Gillislee, Taylor, and Franklin all showed well.

I'm sure I missed some players, there were some really good showings out there.

I hope not but you might be right. Johnson will probably run a 4.8 or 4.9 at the combine and impress in all movement drills. Just gotta hope he falls because he's a tad raw like Joe Staley did.

I'll say this much, if L. Johnson and Warmack are off the board at #16...I might just take Ziggy Ansah. Let him develop behind Chris and Robert. That would give us a freakish pass rush in 3rd down situations.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wouldn't reach for anybody. If players are off the board before 16, then someone else will fall. We have other issues than just o-line to justify reaching for a player that wont be able to start right off the bat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I wouldn't reach for anybody. If players are off the board before 16, then someone else will fall. We have other issues than just o-line to justify reaching for a player that wont be able to start right off the bat.

It's not at all a reach. And needs shouldn't trump value. Ansah is a JPP like prospect. He's worth developing. The draft is for the future not just 2013. We're talking about a 6'6" 275 pound DE with near 35 inch arms that is a freakish athlete. He's still learning how to play football but he plays an amazing motor and works extremely hard. I still remember the play in the Senior Bowl when he initially got sealed on an end around to Denard Robinson(who is projected to run a 4.35 40), fought off the block and ran Denard down behind the LOS. The speed and burst he showed on that play was unbelievable for a 275 pound man.

While the kid needs coaching and needs a lot of technical work as a DE, his upside is through the roof. We have one of the best DL Coaches in the business. Giving him a kid like Ansah could make our defense ridiculous 2 or 3 years down the line.

The 2nd most important thing for a football team to have behind a franchise QB is a strong pass rush.

So if Johnson and Warmack aren't there, Ansah would be high on my list...if he is there.

This plan does NOT include signing any FAs and we lose DA & SJ.
The draft has NO trade-downs (though I think it's likely we do)

Here's what I'd do with our roster first:
CUT:
Mickell (s)
Langford (s)
Hunter
SJ
- maybe even HDahl (4 mil - age32)
- maybe even SWells (3.5 mil - age32)

Yeah, I know...silly cost cutting measures...
but this staff has gotten great performances from rookies and FAs

Coach Boo can get blood from a stone on the OL.
Best coaching job I've seen in a LONG time (Hunter & Richardson were WORST rated OTs in 2011)

We have lots pf prospective talent that can plug & play at a decent level(Watkins, Williams, Barksdale, etc)
With Dahl out the Rams surrendered 0 sacks the last 2 games.

......The money saved can be used to re-sign DE Hayes, OC Turner...and maybe another FA.

==============================================

DRAFT:
1a) WR Patterson
1b) WR Austin
2) DT Short/Floyd/JWilliams/SWilliams/Jenkins/Logan
3) RT Fluker/KLong
4) CB TMatheiu
5) S Shawn Williams/Lester/DWilliams/JWilcox
6) SLB Vince Williams
7) RB Zac Stacey
=============================

btw
Of note is the drafting Austin(KR/PR) & TMathieu(PR) whose play on STs would be MONUMENTAL!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

CUT:
Mickell (s)
Langford (s)
Hunter
SJ

Best coaching job I've seen in a LONG time (Hunter & Richardson were WORST rated OTs in 2011)

We have lots pf prospective talent that can plug & play at a decent level(Watkins, Williams, Barksdale, etc)

......The money saved can be used to re-sign DE Hayes, OC Turner...and maybe another FA.

DRAFT:
1a) WR Patterson
1b) WR Austin
3) RT Fluker/KLong
4) CB TMatheiu
6) SLB Vince Williams
7) RB Zac Stacey
Why would you cut Langford? He's not a liability. Young guy coming into his own and is a relatively low signing @ 5M in the next two years.
($12M of his salary is guaranteed too).

X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

CUT:
Mickell (s)
Langford (s)
Hunter
SJ

DRAFT:
1a) WR Patterson
1b) WR Austin
3) RT Fluker/KLong
4) CB TMatheiu
6) SLB Vince Williams
7) RB Zac Stacey
Why would you cut Langford? He's not a liability. Young guy coming into his own and is a relatively low signing @ 5M in the next two years.

Yeah, kinda silly of me, I know....
but I read that PFF rated Langford as the worst DT against the RUN & PASS...in the NFL.
If true, we can get better, cheaper labor from the draft...especially, a very deep DT draft!!!

Why didn't you call me out on cutting Wells & HDahl too, though?! LOL
"Here at Rams Park...we're cutting prices and passing the savings onto YOU!"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SunTzu.v.Camus said:
X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

CUT:
Mickell (s)
Langford (s)
Hunter
SJ

DRAFT:
1a) WR Patterson
1b) WR Austin
3) RT Fluker/KLong
4) CB TMatheiu
6) SLB Vince Williams
7) RB Zac Stacey

but I read that PFF rated Langford as the worst DT against the RUN & PASS...in the NFL.
If true, we can get better, cheaper labor from the draft...especially, a very deep DT draft!!!

Cuz you said "maybe."

I figured you'd come to your senses eventually. :lol:

X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:
X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:

CUT:
Mickell (s)
Langford (s)
Hunter
SJ

DRAFT:
1a) WR Patterson
1b) WR Austin
3) RT Fluker/KLong
4) CB TMatheiu
6) SLB Vince Williams
7) RB Zac Stacey

Cuz you said "maybe."

I figured you'd come to your senses eventually. :lol:

I DID say "maybe"...crap! I wish I could take a stand on my convictions!
What a wuss I ended up being! Damn! ;)
btw- I still stand by my "maybe"...just not out loud.

What about the reported poor play of Langford? If true, does that give you pause?
It did for me, and that's why we could replace his play with a rookie DT...since this year is crazy deep with DTs!