My Post Senior Bowl Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the Senior Bowl practice week is over so I figured I'd post a mock before the game today. This is based on what I'd do if I were running the team. I decided not to bother with the free agency. Just gonna do a draft:

Round 1 Pick #16 - Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
OU-lane-johnson.jpg

Explanation: I think we're gonna have to take Lane here after the week he's had. Johnson possesses all the attributes to be a dominant NFL OT. He only will fall this far because he's raw and needs to add bulk/functional strength. Originally recruited to OU as a TE/DE after playing QB some at JC, Johnson moved to OT in 2011 becoming the starting RT. In 2012, he shifted over to the starting LT. He has great foot speed and lateral agility, excellent balance, ideal length(6'6" with 35 inch arms), is a good drive blocker in the run game and plays with a real attitude. However, he is raw technically and needs to add weight to his 302 pound frame. But he does have a lot of growth potential. And while he's raw technically, he doesn't show any overwhelming bad signs in his technique...just needs experience and coaching. This isn't like Jason Smith who struggled mightily understanding his assignment and sliding to the corner. Overall, physically, he's a top 5 talent but he'll need coaching and development. He'll get that here and will have the luxury of starting his career on the Right side while he learns.

Round 1 Pick #22 - TRADE with Jacksonville
Explanation: The Jaguars pick Geno Smith at #2 and opt to trade up into the 1st round to grab a pass rusher or CB at #22. The trade is #22 and #80 for #33, #66 and #97.

Round 2 Pick #1 - DJ Fluker LG Alabama
lacy-fluker-nfl-draft-alabama-570x408.jpg

Explanation: I think Fluker will be available here because I think a lot of teams are going to recognize that he'll have issues staying at RT in the NFL. Fluker has heavy feet and really struggles to slide and cut off the corner. He has to overcompensate and it leaves him vulnerable inside. However, Fluker has the perfect skill-set for the OG position. He is actually surprisingly fast in a straight-line and is an absolutely huge man at just under 6'5" 350ish. He reminds me a lot of Leonard Davis or Nate Newton. Both were not great at OT but became Pro Bowl players when they moved inside. Carl Nicks is another but he moved from OT in college to LG in the NFL. Fluker is a dominating run blocker with great power, the size to engulf most defenders, heavy hands and extremely long arms. His earlier noted speed allows him to get to the second level effectively. He also noticeably finishes his blocks and plays with nastiness. As a pass blocker, he translates extremely well to OG. When he anchors, he's nearly impossible to move, he has very long arms with heavy hands and when he gets his hands on you, you're done. Should be a day 1 starter and a pretty dominating player if he wants to be.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State
512x.jpg

Explanation: It's no secret that I love Markus Wheaton. I think he has everything needed to be a great NFL WR and I think he would be a great guy to pick up for Sam. His route running still needs development as he takes unnecessary steps or doesn't sink his hips into the route at times. But he has shown noticeable improvement this week and has been arguably the best WR at the Senior Bowl which did not surprise me. While he's a tad undersized at 5'11" 183, I am not too concerned. He'll get outmuscled on shorter crossing routes but there are many examples of great NFL WRs with similar size. Wheaton has something that can't be taught and that's speed. He may not run a 4.2 but he plays fast...like Torrey Smith. And on top of that, he's very comfortable plucking the ball away from his body with his hands. You don't find a lot of speed guys who do that well. I'm also very confident in his route running ability improving immensely with NFL coaching as he has fluid hips and quick feet. Just needs to be worked with on how to use change speeds and use that to setup your routes. All in all, as a player, there are a lot of comparisons out there like Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Santonio Holmes and mine personally which is Torry Holt. But hell, I don't think any of us would be too upset at having any of those WRs on the field for the Rams(speaking only about their on the field play...not their attitude off of it).

Round 3 Pick #2 - DJ Swearinger FS/SS South Carolina
1007_dmsp_USC_UGA007_t607.JPG

Explanation: I think Swearinger will go in the mid 2nd to early 3rd round range so if he's gone, Bacarri Rambo would be my next pick here. Swearinger is one of those rare do it all type safeties. He can play in the box, match-up in man to man on WRs/TEs/HBs and play in deep coverage. His deep coverage play is probably the weakest part of his game but it's not really a negative. He takes sound angles, has good range and good ball-skills. He just needs more experience back there as he tends to play it safe due to that lack of experience. However, Swearinger is an intimidator at safety. He's one of the hardest hitters in the NCAA and was even suspended a game by the SEC for a hard helmet to helmet hit this year. Swearinger's man cover skills are excellent for a safety because he possesses CB type athleticism and ball-skills. He also has shown the ability to fight off blocks, attack the LOS and get into the back-field. He is my #1 rated safety in this class but I think he'll probably be the 3rd or 4th safety taken. That'll be looked back on as a mistake. This kid is a real deal and the full package. You can man him up on a slot WR, bring him down into the box to stop the run or drop him back into coverage to patrol the deep part of the field. He's reliable in space, he has great instincts and he makes big plays when they're needed the most.

Round 4 Pick #1 - Marcus Lattimore HB South Carolina
1028_dmsp_1stHalf0100_t607.JPG

Explanation: Lattimore's rehab is going really well. I'm not buying that he'll be ready for the start of the season but he might just be ready if he's placed on the PUP list and brought back around Week 8. I think it's a risk worth taking here. Lattimore is a top 20 talent in this draft when healthy but he's had some horrid luck with injuries the last two years. The 49ers took a similar risk on an extremely talented young HB from Miami who unluckily tore up both his knees while there. That HB very possibly will break the 10,000 career rushing yard mark next year...his name is Frank Gore. Lattimore is an extremely versatile HB who has the ability to catch the ball out of the back-field, pick-up the blitz and even block on running plays. He is one of those guys who can do all the little things and contribute to a team in so many different ways. As a runner, he lacks great top-end speed but has great wiggle for a big HB and runs with significant power. He breaks a lot of tackles, is excellent in short yardage and can really churn out yards. Pairing him with Richardson and Pead would be an ideal situation for the Rams. It would keep Marcus healthier and give the Rams a HB who specializes in all of the things that Richardson and Pead have question marks on.

Round 4 Pick #16 - Sio Moore OLB UConn
512x.jpg

Explanation: Moore is a 6'1" 240 pound OLB with long arms(33.75 inches) and big hands(10.25 inches). He has been very productive for UConn over the last 3 years with 268 tackles, 16 sacks, 43 TFLs and 18 PDs. Moore is a very good blitzing LB and recorded 8 sacks as a Senior. He has a high football IQ when rushing the passer and shows understanding of how to counter offensive linemen when they initially beat him with his pass rush moves. He can take on and beat blockers in the running game. And even shows some ability in coverage. While Moore isn't elite as an athlete and doesn't have one standout ability, he's a really solid all around player that would fit in well on our LB core. If we used 3-4 looks, Ryan could use him as a OLB and otherwise, he'd be a 4-3 SLB likely.

Round 5 Pick #16 - B.W. Webb CB William & Mary
maryland-terps-dorsey-090112-ap_606.jpg

Explanation: Webb is a great athlete at the CB position who has fluid hips, great recovery speed and a high football IQ. He has been impressing during Senior Bowl week and might rise above this. However, he's undersized at 5'10" 183 but he can still go up and get the football with his leaping ability. Good ball-skills and overall a very talented small school CB prospect. Would be a great addition for depth and special teams purposes.

Round 6 Pick #16 - Levine Toilolo TE/OT Stanford
Levine%20Toilolo_100612_JMS_010%20600x%20New%20Site.jpg

Explanation: This was something I was really thinking about but I thought I'd explain why I had OT in there as a possibility. Toilolo is a very good athlete for his size and has a lot of experience blocking inline. We draft him here as a guy who could operate as a our #2 TE and an inline blocker. But I think I'd have Coach Boudreau review some of his tape and watch him out there blocking to see if he has what it takes to play OL. Like I said earlier, Toilolo is a very good athlete for his size. He's over 6'7" 265 with a lot of growth potential and long arms(~35ish inches). If Coach Boudreau thought he has the ability to play the OT spot, he'd be a really interesting project for us. We could have him bulk up to 310ish and if we opt not to re-sign Saffold, he could end up playing the RT spot if we move Lane Johnson to LT. Obviously, that's a lot of ifs. But worst case scenario with this pick, he's just a #2 TE which is just fine with a 5th rounder. But I think there might be some OT potential there. Possibly. He definitely has that type of body and he wouldn't be the first TE to make that transition in the NFL(Jason Peters).

Round 7 Pick #16 - Kemal Ishmael FS/SS UCF
512x.jpg

Explanation: Ishmael would be great depth and may even work his way into a starting job. Ishmael is an undersized safety that just seems like a natural football player. He's not a big time hitter although he'll come up with some hard shots but he is a great tackler. He rarely ever misses a tackle and is excellent at making tackles in space. He can effectively play in and out of the box. He has good range and overall athleticism for the position along with solid cover skills. Good instincts too. He doesn't really stand out in any aspect other than tackling but he's a high motor player who seems to not have any glaring holes in his game. Also is an excellent special teams player. You can never have too much depth in the secondary and this kid would provide us much better play off the bench than we've gotten from Craig Dahl.

Notable UDFAs
Greg Reid RS/CB Florida State*
Ryan Aplin QB Arkansas State
Jake Olson OT Central Michigan
Knile Davis HB Arkansas/Spencer Ware HB LSU*
Alex Singleton FB Tulsa
Quinton Dial DT Alabama
D'Aundre Brown LB Tulsa
Tourek Williams DE FIU*

* - Bold denotes my top targets

Anyways, that's it...thoughts?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fundamentally it makes sense, and it certainly wouldn't break my heart to see them go two OL with the first two picks. If anything, this team needs a contingency plan (and badly) to account for the inevitable injuries on that front that always seem to happen here. Doesn't help that Wells had his knee scoped (again) recently, or that we have a huge question mark at guard and RT. I'd love to have some solid linemen who can rotate to different positions without losing any effectiveness, and the depth to overcome - again - the inevitable.

I like that you addressed the athletic TE at least somewhere, and I'll have to watch more video of Toilolo to see what's up with that. I know zero about him right now. Looks the part though. He's no Fendi Onobun is he? lol.

There are a lot of receivers in this draft who are kinda lumped together. Obviously there are no Andre or Calvin Johnsons in here, so you're left to look for either (a) the most athletic, or (b) the most technically sound. After listening to Isaac Bruce the other day, I kind of had an epiphany. We're all hoping for a difference maker on the perimeters, and are maybe looking for the wrong thing. The tallest, the speediest, the most physically imposing, etc. But maybe we just need the guy who runs near flawless routes, is smart, and has gumby-like fluidity in his hips. Is that your guy Wheaton? Does he have the potential to be *that*? If so, then I'm on board.

For me, right now, I'm kind of torn between two philosophies while remaining cognizant of a third. That's why I feel that we're all going to be wrong. Not that I don't enjoy this, because it is fun to see how fans would approach the continued development of the team. But let me explain what I just said there.

Philosophy #1. Get O-line help, god dammit. LOTS of it.
Philosophy #2. Get the best receivers early. Even if it's a TE.

Philosophy #3. This is what I think Snead and the Rams are gonna do. Get the best, most athletic players, at any position of need, wherever they may fall, and let this top-tier coaching staff mold them into the best players they can be. When Fisher said early on that that's exactly what he likes to do, it makes me realize that it's likely what he's going to do. Now if they can trade out of their spot and still get the guy they're looking for that fills that criteria and is *also* a position of need, then great. Do that.

Thanks for your post too. Lotta work went into that, I'll bet. And it's clear you enjoy the scouting process.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Fundamentally it makes sense, and it certainly wouldn't break my heart to see them go two OL with the first two picks. If anything, this team needs a contingency plan (and badly) to account for the inevitable injuries on that front that always seem to happen here. Doesn't help that Wells had his knee scoped (again) recently, or that we have a huge question mark at guard and RT. I'd love to have some solid linemen who can rotate to different positions without losing any effectiveness, and the depth to overcome - again - the inevitable.

I agree totally. I think the OL is a priority.

I like that you addressed the athletic TE at least somewhere, and I'll have to watch more video of Toilolo to see what's up with that. I know zero about him right now. Looks the part though. He's no Fendi Onobun is he? lol.

Nah, pretty much the opposite of Fendi. Really athletic kid with big hands and great size but is more of a blocker than a receiver at this point. More of a straight-line athlete too. It's why I toyed with the idea of moving him to Tackle. But if he does stick at TE, he's a great red-zone weapon(Luck loved the kid) and a very solid #2 TE.

There are a lot of receivers in this draft who are kinda lumped together. Obviously there are no Andre or Calvin Johnsons in here, so you're left to look for either (a) the most athletic, or (b) the most technically sound. After listening to Isaac Bruce the other day, I kind of had an epiphany. We're all hoping for a difference maker on the perimeters, and are maybe looking for the wrong thing. The tallest, the speediest, the most physically imposing, etc. But maybe we just need the guy who runs near flawless routes, is smart, and has gumby-like fluidity in his hips. Is that your guy Wheaton? Does he have the potential to be *that*? If so, then I'm on board.

I didn't compare him to Torry because he had stiff hips and moved like Mike Karney in space. ;)

Wheaton is still learning the art of route running but he's made major strides with NFL coaching at the Senior Bowl. Even Torry, Isaac and Marvin Harrison needed coaching and time to become the elite route runners they were in the NFL. Wheaton has very fluid hips and quick feet, he definitely has the tools. Just needs coaching and time. He takes unnecessary steps when making tight cuts or doesn't properly sink his hips. I'd say it's because he's not yet been taught how to use his speed properly with route running. You want to be able to change speeds especially if you're as fast as Wheaton. Not even the best route runners in the game could run full speed and make quick, effortless cuts with 4.3 speed. It's simply not possible. But if you learn how to change speeds, it doesn't just allow your breaks to be more effortless, fluid and explosive but it allows you to also setup and disguise your deep routes better. I think NFL coaching will do wonders for this kid. He has all the physical attributes to be amazing along with the intangibles and the kid is comfortable and at ease snatching the ball away from his body. He's going to be a major player somewhere. I hope it's here.

For me, right now, I'm kind of torn between two philosophies while remaining cognizant of a third. That's why I feel that we're all going to be wrong. Not that I don't enjoy this, because it is fun to see how fans would approach the continued development of the team. But let me explain what I just said there.

Philosophy #3. This is what I think Snead and the Rams are gonna do. Get the best, most athletic players, at any position of need, wherever they may fall, and let this top-tier coaching staff mold them into the best players they can be. When Fisher said early on that that's exactly what he likes to do, it makes me realize that it's likely what he's going to do. Now if they can trade out of their spot and still get the guy they're looking for that fills that criteria and is *also* a position of need, then great. Do that.

Thanks for your post too. Lotta work went into that, I'll bet. And it's clear you enjoy the scouting process.

I actually try to blend all three philosophies. This mock was definitely leaning the most towards #3 with a lot of #2. But I am abiding by all 3 this year. Really depends how the board falls.

But Fluker, Johnson and Wheaton fit all three categories. All three are elite athletes at those 2 positions(WR and OL). Fluker and Johnson are both being drafted as much if not more for their upside than what they currently are. And that might concern some but I think Boudreau is one of the best in the game and he'll get it out of them. The thing that I really try to make sure of with players who are high upside picks but risky is that they show the right attitude on the field...basically, they play through the whistle and are very physical. Both Johnson and Fluker fit that description. And I'll say this much, if both reach their ceilings or get close...we'll have one of the NFL's best OLs.

Thank you, I do enjoy the scouting process. It's a profession that I am trying to break into. It's why I do so many mocks. It's good practice and a good warm up. Plus, it allows me to go back and look at how I do as well as track my progress.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
But Fluker, Johnson and Wheaton fit all three categories. All three are elite athletes at those 2 positions(WR and OL). Fluker and Johnson are both being drafted as much if not more for their upside than what they currently are. And that might concern some but I think Boudreau is one of the best in the game and he'll get it out of them. The thing that I really try to make sure of with players who are high upside picks but risky is that they show the right attitude on the field...basically, they play through the whistle and are very physical. Both Johnson and Fluker fit that description. And I'll say this much, if both reach their ceilings or get close...we'll have one of the NFL's best OLs.
Yeah, I was gonna ask you if they all had that one attribute I think Fisher covets above all else. The 'tude. I'm kind of intrigued by Watkins too. Dude's a mammoth, but I don't know if his dedication is there. I think he remains the one guy on this line that could alter the draft philosophy. We don't know enough about him, so I was hoping that Bourdreau or someone would speak in depth about him. If he becomes the answer at guard, then it certainly alters *your* draft, doesn't it? Or would you still draft Fluker anyway?

Thank you, I do enjoy the scouting process. It's a profession that I am trying to break into. It's why I do so many mocks. It's good practice and a good warm up. Plus, it allows me to go back and look at how I do as well as track my progress.
That's cool. Trying to break into scouting. Do you have any practical experience in that? And how would you try to break into the ranks? I mean, how do you get your name out there to be picked up by a college team? Because, I guess, High School scouts don't have much to do unless they're roaming the stands in the Pop Warner leagues. And that's just creepy.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:

I think you make some good points. I do think that it is vital that we upgrade the safety position, especially considering the fact that we have a big hole at safety. Also because of the high salary that Mikell receives he may no longer be on the team either, due to salary cap restrictions. Our defense is really just a safety and a playmaking linebacker away from being a top-five defense. We could have a dominant defense which I think would be important in our division.

That being said, I can understand the need to draft a receiver and/or a tight end. We could also upgrade the offense of line. I don't think the guard position is as important to upgrade as tackle. Because we will have Rok come back, that will decrease the need for a guard. I think we can pick up a backup guard in the later rounds that our O-line coach could coach up. However, we do really need another tackle especially if Saffold continues to get injured.

We also need some playmakers on the offense. We need to upgrade the wide receiver position. It may improve just through the added experience that Quick and Givens get. But if it does not improve we can't expect Bradford to somehow find receivers who are not getting open. If we want our offense to score more points we need more playmakers. I don't think this comes as any sort of revelation to our fans. We need some more reliable targets for Sam. I thought our offensive line improved throughout the season. I believe next year could be even better. But our receivers have to be upgraded as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Intriguing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvB9DsIA0A[/youtube]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When I read about Lane Johnson why does his background sound similar to Jason Smith..."TE that moved to RT than LT and needs to add weight." I am sure they are totally different, but just posting...Overall I agree with you on Markus Wheaton and I know you can't help your self, but to include a couple of Gamecocks for good measure. :ww:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Scouting and Drafting are such refined arts and you guys are much more into the details than I could ever get. All I can do with the subject is play favorites (RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska) and eyewitness accounts (DB Greg Reid, FSU/VSU) And I can tell you Burkhead is one tough son of a bitch that I would love to see on the Ram's roster and Reid is one talented individual headed to the state pen. That kid is amazing in the open field but can't stay out of trouble in spite of a broad support group here in the community. Even his application to the draft didn't go smoothly for him. (Illegal activity transpired just to get it to the league office in time) But hey, Jenkins hasn't been in trouble yet so who knows??? I wouldn't use a draft pick on the kid though.

But if the Rams do not draft a S and OLB somewhere in this draft, I may pull some hair out!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly don't think that Toilolo will plummet all the way to the sixth round; he has way too much potential for that. Teams love receiving tight ends with size, and it's not like he's a Fendi Onobun clone where he's got no idea about the game of football; Toilolo's been playing for a while. He'll be a fourth round pick for that reason alone, and he might even go higher than that. I don't think he's a candidate to move to tackle either; he's more advanced at receiving than blocking, and it would be a shame to put that potential to waste. I also think that Lattimore is a bit of a reach in the fourth round when he's had two season-ending knee injuries. He might get drafted up there on talent alone, but he could also free-fall because of it. The position he plays doesn't help his cause.

I suggest switching Lattimore's and Toilolo's draft slots, but otherwise, this is a very, very good mock draft. I'm a fan of a lot of the players taken, as well as some of the undrafted free agents. Great job.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Intriguing.

Let me tell you, this Wheaton kid, I've seen him play. He is extremely quick and extremely smooth in and out of cuts. He comes back to the ball, and he is really fast. I love this kid. I like Patton as well in the Senior Bowl, and Goodwin, small in stature is one of the fasted guys I've ever seen. He was running by and accelerating away from corners.

I'm very high on Lane Johnson, lots of room to grow, bulk wise, but incredibly athletic, could run in the 4.7 - 4.8 range at combine, but he can play. Former QB believe it or not, but not a project.

I like the Stanford TE also, but I wouldn't double down on OT's if I got Lane Johnson.

Good ideas though, although I would question being able to snag a few of these guys where you have them.

Keep in mind, this isn't a great OLB class, we may need to snag someone fairly early.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento said:
I honestly don't think that Toilolo will plummet all the way to the sixth round; he has way too much potential for that. Teams love receiving tight ends with size, and it's not like he's a Fendi Onobun clone where he's got no idea about the game of football; Toilolo's been playing for a while. He'll be a fourth round pick for that reason alone, and he might even go higher than that. I don't think he's a candidate to move to tackle either; he's more advanced at receiving than blocking, and it would be a shame to put that potential to waste. I also think that Lattimore is a bit of a reach in the fourth round when he's had two season-ending knee injuries. He might get drafted up there on talent alone, but he could also free-fall because of it. The position he plays doesn't help his cause.

I suggest switching Lattimore's and Toilolo's draft slots, but otherwise, this is a very, very good mock draft. I'm a fan of a lot of the players taken, as well as some of the undrafted free agents. Great job.

I gotta disagree that his receiving game is more advanced. He's a lot more advanced in his blocking imo and is more of a straight-line athlete as a receiver. Which limits his upside. Plus, he's hurt by the depth and talent in this TE class. Most years, he's a 4th or 5th rounder. But there are so many good TEs in this class, I think he'll fall further than he probably should.

As for Lattimore, if he checks out well medically(i.e. his recovery is going well and there won't be significant lingering effects), I have a very hard time believing that he falls out of the 4th.

I'm not going to swap the picks. But I understand the point you're making.

I just would rather not get greedy here if you catch my drift. ;) Think Lattimore is going to be a really good HB once he gets healthy and would rather not get greedy in trying to get him later than I should. Take him where I believe I can get him now. The ultimate question isn't if I could have gotten him a round later...it's if the pick will work out.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
X said:
Intriguing.

Let me tell you, this Wheaton kid, I've seen him play. He is extremely quick and extremely smooth in and out of cuts. He comes back to the ball, and he is really fast. I love this kid. I like Patton as well in the Senior Bowl, and Goodwin, small in stature is one of the fasted guys I've ever seen. He was running by and accelerating away from corners.

I'm very high on Lane Johnson, lots of room to grow, bulk wise, but incredibly athletic, could run in the 4.7 - 4.8 range at combine, but he can play. Former QB believe it or not, but not a project.

I like the Stanford TE also, but I wouldn't double down on OT's if I got Lane Johnson.

Good ideas though, although I would question being able to snag a few of these guys where you have them.

Keep in mind, this isn't a great OLB class, we may need to snag someone fairly early.
I got to say that Wheaton is intriguing. I only saw one game where he played, but was not really paying attention to him. But when they describe him, he sounds like Bruce...smooth in and out of breaks, good hands, fast, good route runner.

Lane Johnson's story sounds too much like Jason Smith's. I'm not saying he will end up like him, but they do have similar circumstances...a guy who switched from TE to OT, he races up draft boards after the season ends based on his potential, and is very athletic. It just seems too much like the same story, and we all saw how that story ended. However, I will defer to DR. Ram's judgment on O-lineman as he seems to have forgotten more about offensive linemen than I will ever know.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
brokeu91 said:
Lane Johnson's story sounds too much like Jason Smith's. I'm not saying he will end up like him, but they do have similar circumstances...a guy who switched from TE to OT, he races up draft boards after the season ends based on his potential, and is very athletic. It just seems too much like the same story, and we all saw how that story ended. However, I will defer to DR. Ram's judgment on O-lineman as he seems to have forgotten more about offensive linemen than I will ever know.

I've heard this a lot. I think Rams fans are worried that they were burned once so lets not get burned again. I think it's a mistake to draft that way. While yes, there are parallels. There are also parallels to the 3 of the league's best LTs which are Duane Brown, Joe Thomas and Jason Peters. All three played TE at one point or another in college. Peters actually didn't move to OT until he was signed as a UDFA.

While it didn't work out with Smith, I think it will with Johnson. He doesn't have the same issues that Jason had. He's much more comfortable as a pass blocker than Jason(his ability to slide and mirror are much better than Smith's) and understands his assignments better.

He actually played today in the Senior Bowl and completely shutdown every player that lined up against him as a pass protector. His combination of balance, foot speed, ability to mirror and understanding of how to pass block are elite for a guy who is only a 2 year player at the position.

He could step in D1 and be a great pass protector with coaching. He does need to add some strength and bulk to improve his run blocking and ability to stand up against the bull rush.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
When I read about Lane Johnson why does his background sound similar to Jason Smith..."TE that moved to RT than LT and needs to add weight." I am sure they are totally different, but just posting...Overall I agree with you on Markus Wheaton and I know you can't help your self, but to include a couple of Gamecocks for good measure. :ww:

You just made me vomit a little in my mouth. :lmao:

Jason Smith... :grr: pizzes me off! If he is a "hit", think about how much better this team is right now!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry, I got to say... I love these posts!

If we do this draft; our OL is set.

Sign Bowe or Wallace... PLAYOFFS!

Still weak at Safety and LB, if those holes could be filled.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CGI_Ram said:

I concur and I think all of us can agree that when it comes to the draft jrry is our guy, however, if we were in a draft room and he wanted a Gamecock I would ask him...jrry do really like him or do you like the fact that he played in Columbia?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
den-the-coach said:
CGI_Ram said:

I concur and I think all of us can agree that when it comes to the draft jrry is our guy, however, if we were in a draft room and he wanted a Gamecock I would ask him...jrry do really like him or do you like the fact that he played in Columbia?

It's because they're that good. I'm very particular on the Gamecocks that I like and don't. Not saying I'm perfect but if you remember last year, I disliked about half our prospects and really liked the other half. I hated Chris Culliver who ended up panning out well in SF so I was wrong.

But if they don't play well on the field, I won't like them. Likewise, I'll love players from rivals if they look great on the field. My affiliation doesn't strongly affect my opinion, just allows me to see more of the player. :cheese:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:
My affiliation doesn't strongly affect my opinion, just allows me to see more of the player. :cheese:

Understood and actually the only players I feel confident commenting on are Ohio Buckeyes because of my affilation :ww: And watching every game as well.

Keep it going and I really hope the Rams do go OL early because in the NFC West the strongest offfensive line will endure & conquer.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lane Johnson is no Jason Smith. Please don't even put them in the same sentence ever again. Johnson can play, is versatile, and way more athletic than Smith. Smith is a stiff piece of wood compared to Johnson. If you want to compare Lane to someone at similar points in their careers, think Ryan Clady. It's probably a moot point anyway, because I think Johnson, after the combine, will be out of our reach once all the teams watch his tape and see his freakish athletic ability.

A few DR's observations from the game:

Eric Fisher continues to climb the board, and his play in the game was very good. Kyle Long played very well in the game at both LT and LG. He handled the huge John Jenkins, who was supposed to clean his clock. Long kicked out on a hitch pass and buried the corner, and on another play chip blocked, then got to the second and third level and blocked a safety for about 4 seconds. He will run sub 5 at the combine. He plays with very good leverage, and I think he has a future in the league. The center from Cal, Brian Schwenke played well, he has very good feet. Larry Warford, the guard from Kentucky...big boy, absolutely buried about 3 people on a goal line play.

Switching gears, I'd love to see a player that I am really familiar with in horns: Datone Jones. Think younger, more athletic William Hayes, that everyone want to re-sign. I'd use a second round pick on him even though I know that is not a huge need. Rob Ryan would use him in a variety of ways. Zeke Ansah out of BYU, looked like JJP in the game. He's an absolute dominant beast. Kawann Short was a dominant force in the middle, and Jordan Hill had a few nice plays.

Linebackers that caught my eye: Xavier Gooden, very athletic former safety. Nico Johnson from Alabama, was around the ball a lot. Arthur Brown played decent.

Secondary players that flashed: First off, Nevada player Duke Williams cracked some skulls and took some names, including almost knocking himself out of the game. I didn't look at the stats, but he probably led the game in tackles. Alford was impressive, including his 80 yard return to kick the game off. Cyprien flashed. I thought Mark Anthony showed some excellent coverage skills, as did B.W. Webb, and Trufant. Rambo had an INT. Poyer showed some good and bad.

I can't really comment that much on the receivers, because I thought the QB play stunk. There were several guys that I liked throughout the week. Conner Vernon, the new Ricky Proehl? I did like King, Patton, Williams, and Wheaton. Goodwin caught a lot of underneath stuff and showed pretty good hands for a burner.

Running backs should have been featured more by both coaching staffs, but Gillislee, Taylor, and Franklin all showed well.

I'm sure I missed some players, there were some really good showings out there.