My mock ?.0. Going for the playoffs.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Goals:
- Stabilize the QB position
- Build the offensive line
- Add scoring
- Add depth

Restructure:
Sam Bradford- Injuries have derailed his career. Has immense talent. Poor QB draft means we give this another go. The restructure spreads his current pay over 2 years. He has incentives to gain back every penny, and can opt out after one year.

Resign:
Kenny Britt WR- Offensive leader. Has played much better than numbers indicate, would be better with better QB play.

Corey Harkey TE/FB- Great blocker, good receiver as well.

Joe Barksdale RT- Solid starter at RT. Has room for improvement, still young.

Rodney McLeod FS- Solid starting FS

Cut:
Isaiah Pead RB- Injury/Performance
Jake Long OT- Injury/Performance/Contract
Scott Wells C- Performance/Contract
Kendall Langford DT- Contract

Sign:
My philosophy on free agency is to play small ball. Go after the lower level guys and avoid shelling out the big money. Add rotational players and fringe starters. Stay away from acquiring old declining players. Free agents are generally over paid and do not play up to their contracts. Example, Jared Cook and Kendall Langford are solid players, neither has lived up to their contracts. We need our money to be free so we can retain some of our young talent.

Virgil Green TE Denver Age 27- Great blocking TE in Denver. Very athletic ran a 4.65 40 at the combine with a 42.5 vertical and a 6.90 cone drill. I believe he could develop as a receiving threat. Kendricks replacement.

James Carpenter OG Seattle Age 26- Capable of playing OG or RT. Big and very young. Comes in to compete for open OG spot.

Brian de la Puente C Chicago Age 30- Was a backup in Chicago after starting for years in New Orleans. Solid ability. Comes in to compete for C spot.

CJ Mosley DT Detroit Age 32 - Run stuffing rotational DT.

Tyson Alualu DT Jacksonville Age 28 - Pass rushing rotational DT.

Trades:
3rd round pick to Cleveland for Josh Gordon- This is the controversial move. A third round pick may be too steep for a guy who is one failed drug test away from being lost for the year and had issues showing up to stuff on time if at all in Cleveland. Those are the negatives, here are the positives, in 2013 Gordon nearly had 1,700 yards despite missing 2 games. He will only be 24 next season. Has rare ability, good size and speed. Vincent Jackson is a guy who faced similar circumstances with suspension looming over his head if he were to mess up again, he has righted his career. Brandon Marshall and Randy Moss are also examples of guys who were traded when their values were diminished, the Patriots and Bears benefitted from those trades. Finally, we haven't had a WR eclipse 1,000 yards since 2007. Gordon is a huge gamble. It could be a grand slam home run, or it could be a strikeout. I'm willing to take the risk on a young talented kid.

View: http://youtu.be/7vtyfcLYCNk

5th round pick to Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon- Mike Glennon will turn 26 late in 2015. Over 18 career starts he has 29 TDs to 15 INTs. That's nearly a 2:1 ratio. He has good arm strength and skills to start in the league. With Mariota and Winston out of reach he gives a better chance to win than a second or third round rookie and a host of free agent options.

View: http://youtu.be/IeDzn78MiYg

Draft:
This would be a boring draft weekend with only 3 picks, but we enter the draft with few glaring holes with the QB position taken care of and offensive linemen added in free agency. The approach is BPA, with a focus on the offense and the offensive line in particular.

1- La'el Collins OG LSU- Big, powerful, heavy handed, athletic offensive linemen. Started 7 games at LG for LSU as a true freshman. Started his whole sophomore season at LG moving to LT as a junior. Looks to be a dominating people mover on the inside with great athleticism to pass protect and move as well.

2- Cameron Erving C Florida State- A big physical C prospect with the ability to move people and athletic enough to pass protect. Limited games at C and on the offensive line. Started his college career off at DT before settling down as a LT. Moved to C during his senior year. May benefit from a redshirt year, but has big time potential and versatility.

7- Chris Bonner QB Colorado State University-Pueblo- Big, strong armed developmental QB. Can launch the ball down the field with accuracy.

Projected Starters:
QB- Sam Bradford
RB- Tre Mason
FB- Corey Harkey
TE- Jared Cook
WR- Josh Gordon
WR- Brian Quick
WR- Kenny Britt
LT- Greg Robinson
LG- La'el Collins/James Carpenter
C- Brian De La Puente/Cameron Erving
RG- Rodger Saffold
RT- Joe Barksdale

DE- Robert Quinn
DT- Michael Brockers
DT- Aaron Donald
DE- Chris Long
WLB- Alec Ogletree
MLB- James Laurinaitis
SPUR- Mark Barron
CB- Janoris Jenkins
CB- Trumaine Johnson
CB- EJ Gaines
FS- Rodney McLeod/LaMarcus Joyner
SS- TJ McDonald

K- Greg Zuerline
P- Johnny Hekker

Roster analysis:
QB:
A healthy Bradford is our only shot at getting a franchise QB. He was playing his best football when he tore his knee in 2013 and was having his best camp in 2014. The lack of QB options is the reason he is here. If healthy and playing at a level he is capable of he will help put us over the hump. Mike Glennon's rookie season statistically was similar to Bridgewater's and Carr's. For some reason Lovie never bought into him acquiring McCown in free agency. Big kid with a strong arm, opening the whole field. A clear improvement over Hill, who performed well for a backup QB. You really can't ask a backup QB to play much better than Hill and Davis did for us. Glennon has starting potential. Played behind a horrible line in Tampa Bay. Bonner is strictly a developmental guy. If counted on in 2015 we are screwed.

RB:
The young trio of Mason, Cunningham, and Stacy is very good. Watts and Reynolds are good special teams players. UDFAs will be added. This group is talented and has good depth in case of an injury.

TE:
Jared Cook is our only receiving TE in the group with Kendricks gone. I believe with Green's athleticism he could develop into a pass catcher. He and Harkey are great blocking TEs.

WR:
Finally we have an excellent WR core. Gordon, Quick, Britt, Bailey, Austin, and Givens give you are great combination of size and speed. These guys can stretch the field and make plays for the QB. With stronger armed QBs we can push the balm down the field more often, pulling the safety out of the box and opening the run game.

Offensive Line:
Our worst unit in 2014 gets an overhaul. 2 free agents and 2 high draft picks should give this group a boost. With Robinson now having a full offseason to focus solely on LT you will see his game improve. He was great in the run game, and functional in the pass game. He definitely needs to improve. I see a bright future ahead of the kid. Saffold played all 16 games. With a healthy shoulder you will see the 2013 Saffold at RG. Guy can play any position. I wouldn't put it past him to play C. Barksdale struggled down the stretch of 2014. I still think he can and will be a solid starting RT for us. He may need blocking help vs speed rushers. Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney round off the depth.

Defensive Line:
Our strongest unit. A healthy Long will give us that extra pressure we need. Quinn, Donald, and Brockers will make this group a great group for us for a very long time. Added depth at the DT position along with good DE depth makes this unit very strong.

LB:
Laurinaitis played the 2014 season hurt. His days as a quality MLB may be coming to an end. His is a great leader and QB of the defense. Ogletree had a monster second half. He needs to play all of 2015 at that level. Barron is a safety/LB. With a full offseason of Williams being able to devise a role for him, you will see Barron be more productive. He made some nice plays for us in 2014. Dunbar and Bates fill out our LB depth.

DB:
I like our young DB grouping. With Jenkins, Johnson, Gaines, Joiner, and Roberson I feel that we good at CB with nice depth. Joiner can play that nickle/FS role. McLeod isn't a superstar, but he is a very solid FS for us and a great hitter. TJ McDonald is a rising star. He has been a great player for us.

P/K:
I feel very comfortable with the duo of Hekker and Zuerline.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Do you have a medical marijuana card or are you smoking illegally. Thanks for the read, it was entertaining. Why Glennon?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I like like the Gordon move but I bet you can sign him when he's cut.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Would have some concerns with Brian De La Puente because of age seems Wells was that age when the Rams signed him, but you're covered with the selection Erving. Would be shocked if Denver allowed Virgil Green to walk because they realized how great of a blocker he was after the injury to Julius Thomas. C.J. Anderson's emergence had much to do with the bone crushing blocks of Green.

Would love Josh Gordon, but I just don't see it happening and maybe I'm missing something on James Carpenter, but he seems always to get exposed by the Rams.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quick Thoughts:

- Josh Gordon? A 3rd round pick on the last year of his contract who has proven that he can't be relied upon in college AND in the Pros? I'd hope the Rams wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

- I've got a feeling that Virgil Green might be more expensive on the open market than Lance Kendricks.

- As I recall, James Carpenter almost makes Rodger Saffold look like Mr. Durability. I'd hope he could be had cheaply.

- I'm beginning to wonder if Mike Glennon can be had for a 5th round pick. I read somewhere that Cardinals HC Bruce Arians was pretty high on him. He might snatch him away.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
- I'm beginning to wonder if Mike Glennon can be had for a 5th round pick. I read somewhere that Cardinals HC Bruce Arians was pretty high on him. He might snatch him away.

Arians is really becoming a pain right in the ass!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like it. It's time to take an aggressive approach. We are not giving up a ton and not giving up futures.

Bradford, Gordon, OL via draft....match that with this defense, you might have something. This offense really needs an explosive playmaker and Gordon is that type if player.

It very well could fail but if it didn't and Bradford/Gordon worked you would have a legit contender.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts?

If our off-season turned out like this, I'd be jumping for joy. Good looking starting OL with a lot of depth, very talented supporting cast, and a very legitimate backup behind Sam. Great job!

My concerns?

Josh Gordon. Incredible talent on the field but I'm not sure how I feel about him here. We've taken a lot of risks and thus far they seem to have panned out. With Britt here and seemingly reformed, maybe he gets through to Gordon. It seems like our WR corp is a tight-knit group of guys so hopefully they'd get Gordon's head right. But if they don't, Gordon doesn't just have the potential to drag himself down...he has the potential to drag some of our other young, talented guys down with him. It's a big risk. Can't say I think it's the wrong move...it just worries me a bit. But I would let the FO make the decision on that one.

Like I've said, watching him play, he reminds me a lot of what Carson Palmer is right now(physically). I think that's his ceiling. Would make sense that Arians would like him.

lockdnram21

Legend
Don't like the Gordon pick. Only way I would get Gordon is if Britt didn't come back. Don't think rams are even thinking g of receiver cause we don't need one we need a franchise Qb and line and no I wouldn't consider Bradford franchise qb. He hasn't proved any thing and is injury prone. If we were to get Gordon that would really diminish Tavon and Baileys roles. we have the receivers we need. We need qb and line and offense se is ready

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hasn't Cook has lived up to his contract?
He's our best offensive player by far
Otherwise good stuff

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't like the Gordon pick. Only way I would get Gordon is if Britt didn't come back. Don't think rams are even thinking g of receiver cause we don't need one we need a franchise Qb and line and no I wouldn't consider Bradford franchise qb. He hasn't proved any thing and is injury prone. If we were to get Gordon that would really diminish Tavon and Baileys roles. we have the receivers we need. We need qb and line and offense se is ready
So who is the franchise QB we can get?

The Rams haven't had a receiver get close to 1,000 yards since Holt in 2007. In 2013 Gordon nearly had 1,700 yards with the QB trio of Weeden, Campbell, and Hoyer. That's pretty impressive. We are high fiving over Britt topping 700 yards. Don't need to be complacent. We need to improve across the board on offense.

FRO

Legend
Hasn't Cook has lived up to his contract?
He's our best offensive player by far
Otherwise good stuff
He is paid to be one of the top TEs in the game. 52 catches, 634 yards, and 3 TDs isn't top TE stuff. Good player and you are right probably our best receiver, just not living up to his contract.

FRO

Legend
Do you have a medical marijuana card or are you smoking illegally. Thanks for the read, it was entertaining. Why Glennon?
I don't smoke. Glennon has starter's tools. Has proven a capable NFL QB. Very few draft options. Cheaper financially than a free agent.

FRO

Legend
Would have some concerns with Brian De La Puente because of age seems Wells was that age when the Rams signed him, but you're covered with the selection Erving. Would be shocked if Denver allowed Virgil Green to walk because they realized how great of a blocker he was after the injury to Julius Thomas. C.J. Anderson's emergence had much to do with the bone crushing blocks of Green.

Would love Josh Gordon, but I just don't see it happening and maybe I'm missing something on James Carpenter, but he seems always to get exposed by the Rams.
de la Puente would be a bridge player for Erving. Not a long term solution. Carpenter would be a reserve type. Can play OG or RT.

FRO

Legend
Almost rather take DGB in the 2nd and your C in the 3rd.
Erving is head and shoulders better than the other C prospects. My main goal is to build the line.

FRO

Legend
Quick Thoughts:

- Josh Gordon? A 3rd round pick on the last year of his contract who has proven that he can't be relied upon in college AND in the Pros? I'd hope the Rams wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

- I've got a feeling that Virgil Green might be more expensive on the open market than Lance Kendricks.

- As I recall, James Carpenter almost makes Rodger Saffold look like Mr. Durability. I'd hope he could be had cheaply.

Josh Gordon is definitely a huge risk. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I think Gordon has rare talent and can give our offense the extra boost needed. It could fall flat and leave us empty. I think it's a risk worth taking at this point. Tired of losing.

lockdnram21

Legend
So who is the franchise QB we can get?

The Rams haven't had a receiver get close to 1,000 yards since Holt in 2007. In 2013 Gordon nearly had 1,700 yards with the QB trio of Weeden, Campbell, and Hoyer. That's pretty impressive. We are high fiving over Britt topping 700 yards. Don't need to be complacent. We need to improve across the board on offense.
Britt would have easily been over a 1000 with a decent line and and qb. We still have Quick and Bailey and Tavon . If Britt comes back thats plenty. only way i see us picking wr is if one falls to us like mason did and cant pass up. But Receiver is farr from a need. Last off season everybody (not including me) Thought we needed to grab a receiver and Fisher didnt draft any in the deepest class. Now after our receivers have stepped up and was hurt by Qb and line play think we go after Wr this year? Imo dont think so unless Britt dont come back

FRO

Legend
Britt would have easily been over a 1000 with a decent line and and qb. We still have Quick and Bailey and Tavon . If Britt comes back thats plenty. only way i see us picking wr is if one falls to us like mason did and cant pass up. But Receiver is farr from a need. Last off season everybody (not including me) Thought we needed to grab a receiver and Fisher didnt draft any in the deepest class. Now after our receivers have stepped up and was hurt by Qb and line play think we go after Wr this year? Imo dont think so unless Britt dont come back
It's not a need, but it can easily be improved on. Gordon is an elite offensive talent. Our offense doesn't have an elite offensive talent.