My last Mock See u Guys Draft day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wow that is quite a comprehensive Mock you got there.

This draft season is dragging on too long.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I'll help out the op finish his mock:

Ok so now the rams have the 6th, 13th, 37th, 44th picks. After drafting Robinson at #2 and Dennard at #13, the rams take a gamble and trade with the cowboys for their 16th pick. It cost the rams the 37th pick plus a 1st rounder in 2015. With the 16th pick rams add a pressure machine DT Donald.

With the 44th pick, rams OG Yankey. With the 3rd round pick, rams add a fast S in Brooks. I won't do rounds 4-7.

To recap:

6th: OT/OG Robinson. Slide him in at LG till 2015 when Long slides to RT and Robinson takes over at LT.
13th: CB Dennard Rams get their physical CB that will excel under Williams
44th: OG Yankey. Let Robinson and Yankey battle it out for the LG spot.
3rd round: FS Brooks. He is under 6'0 but will bring some great speed to the secondary.

Drafting Robinson and Yankey ensures the rams have quality talent upfront and possible replacements if Barksdale decides to cash in after the season.

Long
Brockers
Donald
Quinn

Would cause the entire OL trouble. Add Dennard and Brooks to the secondary. ..teams would opt to punt on 3rd and long.

Rams would have two 2nd rounders in 2015 but no 1st rounder. no big deal since the rams would win the superbowl so the 32nd pick is basically a 2nd rounder

ausmurp

Starter
So for one of the worst scoring offenses in NFL history over a 6 or 7 year period, the only additions you add to the offense are OL??? Strange. I don't see Britt catching 10+ TDs. And when Stacy goes down I don't see Cunningham doing near as well. We need yet another WR, another HB, and perhaps a TE (nobody has thought about this but Cook looked average at best last yr and has his entire career, and he can't run block for shiz).

ausmurp

Starter
And no matter how many great players we have on defense, if our offense continues to produce some of the most 3-and-outs in the league, the D can't win us games. This is a huge truth.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
To recap:

6th: OT/OG Robinson. Slide him in at LG till 2015 when Long slides to RT and Robinson takes over at LT.
3rd round: FS Brooks. He is under 6'0 but will bring some great speed to the secondary.

This group of players would be a great haul and matches my mocks exactly.....I just hope Dennard makes it to 13.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So for one of the worst scoring offenses in NFL history over a 6 or 7 year period, the only additions you add to the offense are OL??? Strange. I don't see Britt catching 10+ TDs. And when Stacy goes down I don't see Cunningham doing near as well. We need yet another WR, another HB, and perhaps a TE (nobody has thought about this but Cook looked average at best last yr and has his entire career, and he can't run block for shiz).

They have been a bad offense because they cant block. I think that's pretty evident over the year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Nothing personal, but if the Rams drafted both Robinson AND Yankey, I'd want Snead fired for wasting high quality draft picks.

In such a scenario, you have three spots (LG, RG, RT) for 4 hopefully quality players (Saffold, Barksdale, Robinson, Yankey) and one of them is going on the bench. In fact, as you note under Yankey, it could be the top ten pick riding the pine. That can't happen. The Rams have too many holes.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Nothing personal, but if the Rams drafted both Robinson AND Yankey, I'd want Snead fired for wasting high quality draft picks.

In such a scenario, you have three spots (LG, RG, RT) for 4 hopefully quality players (Saffold, Barksdale, Robinson, Yankey) and one of them is going on the bench. In fact, as you note under Yankey, it could be the top ten pick riding the pine. That can't happen. The Rams have too many holes.

well I'm glad you're not the GM. Great teams have good OL. Rams have enough draft capital to finally add some quality OL and not some washed up vets or late round draft picks.

Rams have sucked on offense because of the OL, injuries, and lack of talent at the skill position. I imagine you're one of the draft watkins or bust posters.....sorry he won't solve any problems in 2014.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I agree with your overall point, but you are also looking at a line that is injury prone, with Long, Saffold and Wells. We also have no depth. Also, you and I have talked about this already in the past, we don't really know when Long is going to be ready for action. As good as Barksdale was last year, its still a spot we can upgrade if it played out that way and he is a FA next year. Even if a player like Yankey sat for a year, it lessens the need for 2015 if Barksdale walks. I think we need 7 offensive lineman that can start. Whoever the 6th man is, Im sure he will get his share of snaps, based on the number of games played by everyone on that offensive line not named Joe Barksdale. I have no reason to believe Long, Safffold or Wells will play 16 games next year.

Also, this offensive line has been a weak link for 5 years now. Its time to fix it and fix it now for both the short term and long term. Yes we have needs in other spots but nothing as glaring as the offensive line as a collective unit.

Again, I agree with you if I could trust the health of the lineman currently on the roster. It just seems like we have a unique set of circumstances.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I agree with your overall point, but you are also looking at a line that is injury prone, with Long, Saffold and Wells. We also have no depth. Also, you and I have talked about this already in the past, we don't really know when Long is going to be ready for action. As good as Barksdale was last year, its still a spot we can upgrade if it played out that way and he is a FA next year. Even if a player like Yankey sat for a year, it lessens the need for 2015 if Barksdale walks. I think we need 7 offensive lineman that can start. Whoever the 6th man is, Im sure he will get his share of snaps, based on the number of games played by everyone on that offensive line not named Joe Barksdale. I have no reason to believe Long, Safffold or Wells will play 16 games next year.

Also, this offensive line has been a weak link for 5 years now. Its time to fix it and fix it now for both the short term and long term. Yes we have needs in other spots but nothing as glaring as the offensive line as a collective unit.

Again, I agree with you if I could trust the health of the lineman currently on the roster. It just seems like we have a unique set of circumstances.
I agree that we need quality OL depth. I just say that you get that later rather than in the 2nd round (or even in the top 10). We need on the field starters with both those picks.

And yes, laramsoriginal, I do prefer picking up Watkins. Of course he's not going to reach his full potential in year 1, but as those in favor of drafting a tackle as a guard like to say, you don't draft for one year, you draft for the future.

But then again, you also draft for being on the field rather than riding the pine.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree that we need quality OL depth. I just say that you get that later rather than in the 2nd round (or even in the top 10). We need on the field starters with both those picks.

And yes, laramsoriginal, I do prefer picking up Watkins. Of course he's not going to reach his full potential in year 1, but as those in favor of drafting a tackle as a guard like to say, you don't draft for one year, you draft for the future.

But then again, you also draft for being on the field rather than riding the pine.

Robinson would be a starter at LG and Dennard would start. As for Yankey or any guard drafted in that slot they would probably start the year at RG and Saffold may fill in at LT till Long is ready. I think any offensive lineman drafted in round 2 will see plenty of action unless our offensive line stays in tacked for 16 games which based on the history of the players most likely will not happen.

I don't mind Watkins but if we don't fix this line then Stacy wont be able to run, Bradford will be shakey and Watkins wont have any impact anyway.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Robinson would be a starter at LG and Dennard would start. As for Yankey or any guard drafted in that slot they would probably start the year at RG and Saffold may fill in at LT till Long is ready. I think any offensive lineman drafted in round 2 will see plenty of action unless our offensive line stays in tacked for 16 games which based on the history of the players most likely will not happen.

I don't mind Watkins but if we don't fix this line then Stacy wont be able to run, Bradford will be shakey and Watkins wont have any impact anyway.
I would presume in this scenario that you're expecting that Long will not return until Week 5, which isn't what we've been hearing from Rams Park.

Even then, I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with this. Even with the history of injury, you don't pick a 2nd rounder (in the first half of the 2nd round) as bench depth (or worse... the original post I was replying to indicated a possibility of Robinson/Matthews losing the competition and riding the pine).

I am all for fixing the line, but it can be done without throwing so much draft capital at it that other areas suffer.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I would presume in this scenario that you're expecting that Long will not return until Week 5, which isn't what we've been hearing from Rams Park.

Even then, I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with this. Even with the history of injury, you don't pick a 2nd rounder (in the first half of the 2nd round) as bench depth (or worse... the original post I was replying to indicated a possibility of Robinson/Matthews losing the competition and riding the pine).

I am all for fixing the line, but it can be done without throwing so much draft capital at it that other areas suffer.

Yet you're willing to waste the 2nd overall pick on a wr that might not even start? Drafting watkins will not open up the running game nor give Bradford more time in the pocket. A dominant OL will give stacy consistent holes to Gallup through while allowing the Sam more time in the pocket to find his wr's.

My point of view may be wrong but I have always believed that a good OL has a significant domino effect on the offense and team.

ausmurp

Starter
They have been a bad offense because they cant block. I think that's pretty evident over the year.

It's much more than a blocking issue. It isn't caused by any one thing. Blocking, WRs who have worst drop % in league, etc all play a part. Improving blocking will not make our WRs all of the sudden catch the ball. I agree we need to improve our pass blocking, but we also need to improve our offense in general by any means. If that means drafting a WR, a TE like Ebron, a super fast pass catching HB like Tre Mason, etc I'm all for it. But loading up on OL is not going to make us much better.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's much more than a blocking issue. It isn't caused by any one thing. Blocking, WRs who have worst drop % in league, etc all play a part. Improving blocking will not make our WRs all of the sudden catch the ball. I agree we need to improve our pass blocking, but we also need to improve our offense in general by any means. If that means drafting a WR, a TE like Ebron, a super fast pass catching HB like Tre Mason, etc I'm all for it. But loading up on OL is not going to make us much better.

Im not saying WR and TE cant be upgraded because I agree they can. Some of those drops were due to passes behind the receiver too because of QB's being under pressure. I just think we need to fix the line first before we can truly evaluate our WR's, specifically Bailey, Austin and Givens. I would just like to see once for a long stretch, Bradford sitting in the pocket scoping the field with all day to throw and allow receivers to get open, kind of like what Brady does in NE. I haven't seen a great offense that didn't have a great oline. It starts there IMO.