My Jeff Fisher Stays Mock 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Had some time to kill so I figured I'd copy @jrry32 and make up one.

KEY PERSONNEL DEPARTURES (via trade, release or free agency):
Rodger Saffold, Jared Cook, Nick Foles, Akeem Ayers, Nick Fairley, Mark Barron, Wes Welker, Eugene Sims, Chris Long

KEY RESIGNINGS:
William Hayes, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins (potential franchise tag), Case Keenum

KEY VETERAN MINIMUM OFFERS (or slightly higher $$ short term deals):
Tim Barnes, Brian Quick, Corey Harkey, Rodney McLeod competing for jobs.

KEY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:
Rishard Matthews, WR, Dolphins
Rishard+Matthews+rfOk2ATo5M7m.jpg

Matthews has developed into a pretty darn good WR with his 15.4 yards per catch this season. With all Miami has invested at the position I question if they can re-sign him.

Alex Mack, C, Browns
Alex-Mack.jpg

Expected to opt out of his contract this offseason, Mack provides the Rams an experienced quality veteran for the center of the OLine.

In the end, the youth movement was nice, but it's time to mix in some solid to above average veterans on offense just like they did on defense.

2016 NFL DRAFT

1) Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLe5ltOD4g
This Missouri Valley product has only started 1 ½ seasons of football games, but is said to have all the tools to be a potential franchise signal caller in time. This mock assumes that Wentz has the Senior Bowl of his life & the Rams win enough games to select around #12-18 to better justify this selection. That said, my fear is that Fisher would opt for the more experienced QB in Connor Cook and leave the franchise in shambles.

2a) Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UK92oDHNg
Feed the Beast. Given his recent injury history, contract, and production it’s probably time to move on from Chris Long. Re-signing Hayes and teaming him up with Calhoun at LE keeps the Dline strong and probably improves the pass rush. Some are down on Calhoun, but methinks he’d look a helluva lot better in the Rams rotation vs. playing 90 plus percent of the plays like he has this year.

2b) Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2m6gYuFMA
Rodney McLeod has been solid at FS. But, a bend but don’t break defense needs more of a ball hawk in the secondary to help make up for the shortcomings of the other secondary defenders. And especially, if they lose Tru Johnson (who has 6 of the team’s mere 11 INTs) to free agency.

3) Vernon Butler, DT, Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltL6872vGzs
There is talk that some scouts see Butler possibly sneaking into the bottom of round one or being a sure 2nd rounder. An excellent run defender who could develop into a better pass rusher, my hope is that GMs see his 5 career sacks and push him down the board a bit. Of course, a strong Senior Bowl showing will probably blow that plan out of the water.

4 D’haquille “Duke” Williams, WR, formerly Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU0KCXWpvGs
Williams entered the season looking like a sure 1st round selection, but has since been kicked off the team. Fisher never had much issues with reclamation projects in the past and with both Snead and his Auburn connections they should get a very clear picture of whether or not this kid is worth the risk.

6) Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oin-LskyPbY
This former WR has grown into a 6-5, 250 TE who runs good routes, has excellent hands, and appears to be a willing blocker. He’ll have to check out medically as he’s been battling a knee issue this season. And it’s said issue that might have him on the board this late.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's definitely a different take. I liked Matthews coming out but I'm not sure how good of a player he is now. I don't get much of a chance to watch the Dolphins. I haven't heard good things about Mack from Browns fans. That worries me. Could be another OL that signs for big money and then completely falls apart for us.

Not so keen on Duke Williams. Was a major troublemaker off the field and didn't look good on the field this year. I'd rather take Nelson Spruce there. We're also waiting a long time to address WR and TE. I feel bad for Carson Wentz. Especially considering we didn't replace Saffold.

Stel

Starter
Like the picks until Round 4 where I agree with jrry32.

Don't know enough about Higbee. Is he out or will he be playing Monday?

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's definitely a different take. I liked Matthews coming out but I'm not sure how good of a player he is now. I don't get much of a chance to watch the Dolphins. I haven't heard good things about Mack from Browns fans. That worries me. Could be another OL that signs for big money and then completely falls apart for us.

Not so keen on Duke Williams. Was a major troublemaker off the field and didn't look good on the field this year. I'd rather take Nelson Spruce there. We're also waiting a long time to address WR and TE. I feel bad for Carson Wentz. Especially considering we didn't replace Saffold.

Williams didn't look good in only 5 games this season, but neither did Auburn's QB. But, he looked good in 2014 with Nick Marshall. His off the field stuff immaturity is the main reason he'd be available that late. Hopefully, he'd have a Brandon Marshall type turn around if someone at Rams Park can reach him.

WR was addressed even before the draft in Matthews. Check him out. He's really developed into a pretty good WR. And, if healthy, Higbee is a steal. Doesn't matter when you get them, but that you get them.

Saffold's replacement? Already on the roster via a lot of developing young talent still playing and/or on injured reserve. Besides, Wentz isn't starting in 2016. For Jeff Fisher? It will be Keenum, Mannion, or some other veteran picked up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams didn't look good in only 5 games this season, but neither did Auburn's QB. But, he looked good in 2014 with Nick Marshall. His off the field stuff immaturity is the main reason he'd be available that late. Hopefully, he'd have a Brandon Marshall type turn around if someone at Rams Park can reach him.

WR was addressed even before the draft in Matthews. Check him out. He's really developed into a pretty good WR. And, if healthy, Higbee is a steal. Doesn't matter when you get them, but that you get them.

Saffold's replacement? Already on the roster via a lot of developing young talent still playing and/or on injured reserve. Besides, Wentz isn't starting in 2016. For Jeff Fisher? It will be Keenum, Mannion, or some other veteran picked up.

Duke dropped a lot of passes in 2014.

Rainram

Starter
I like it a lot...

Except your OLine situation could get bad fast.

If we're keeping most of our whole secondary (along with the depth we have), I pass on Thompson (who I do like a lot though) for some OLine help in round 2.

I'm not as worried about Mack's play as Jrry is...curious what his price tag will be though.

Also sucks losing Barron. He's perfect here. But I get it's gonna be hard to keep everyone.

I like it though. I like the players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This mock assumes that Wentz has the Senior Bowl of his life & the Rams win enough games to select around #12-18 to better justify this selection. That said, my fear is that Fisher would opt for the more experienced QB in Connor Cook and leave the franchise in shambles.
Lol. I love the brutal honesty that comes out in these posts.
I think Matthews is a great call. Have to figure that they cant be wrong on every FA move. Mack and Matthews? Sign me up