My interview with Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I interviewed TGII on Wednesday to promote some of his charity work that he's doing with FedEx.

I wish I got more football questions in there for you guys. But I had limited time and had to give him a chance to plug his cause. Anyway, I thought I'd share...

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/4...ootball-community-and-fedex-planned-donations

Todd Gurley Discusses Football, Community and FedEx' Planned Donations Following the Draft

Running back Todd Gurley was one of the most inspirational stories in the NFL last season.

Despite tearing his ACL during his final season with the Georgia Bulldogs—a mere six months before the draft—the Los Angeles Rams felt his talent was too enormous to ignore. The Rams took a risk by drafting him No. 10 overall, but it's a risk that has most definitely paid off.

Gurley shredded opponents last season for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns, making him the first Rams running back to hit 1,000 yards as a rookie since Eric Dickerson in 1983. He finished third in the NFL in rushing despite starting just 12 games.

Gurley was rewarded for his efforts with a Pro-Bowl bid and Rookie of the Year honors. He was also named one of three finalists for the FedEx Ground Player of the Year.

If a player wins air or ground player of the year, FedEx makes a $25,000 donation to the local Red Cross chapter for that player's team. When Gurley was named FedEx Ground Player of the Week in Week 8, he earned the local St. Louis Red Cross a $2,000 donation.

FedEx plans to make further donations to the Red Cross after the FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Draft are announced tonight.

I spoke with Gurley to discuss this charity, as well as community and football:

So do you have any plans for the draft?

Not sure right now. I'll probably just get with a bunch of the players and just watch the draft. We don't have but like three picks, so...

Will you reach out to the No. 1 pick with a text message or phone call?

I think somebody from the team will set me up to talk to them or whatever. But they'll be here next week, so I'll see him for the next seven months straight.

Any predictions for the top pick?

Man, I have no idea. I don't get paid the big bucks to make those decisions. So I'm just staying in my lane.

I understand FedEx has something special planned in the Rams do take a QB. Can you talk about that?

Yeah. Last year, obviously Jameis Winston went for the quarterbacks and I went for the running backs (as the) FedEx players of the draft. So the first quarterback and the first running back taken will be named FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Draft. And FedEx will also donate $2,500 to the local Red Cross chapter of each team.

What does it mean to you to be involved with something like this? Why are these donations important to you personally?

It's a pretty good thing. I like what FedEx is doing. You know, actually, FedEx does it every year and they do it every week throughout the season. Plus, it's a good thing for FedEx to give back and I'm just happy to be partnering up with them.

As an athlete and role model, do you feel you have a special responsibility to the community? What's your role in the community?

I think most of us, once you kind of get established, give time to be out (in the community). I mean, definitely we give back because people gave back to me and people helped me out, so you definitely want to do the same thing in return. You want to help the community for the kids because, you know, they're our future. So you definitely have to help them.

I feel you're pretty genuine when you speak about community. One reason for that is because of your Rookie of the Year speech. You seemed really sincere and you thanked the city of St. Louis. I'm a St. Louis guy and I know many from the community really appreciated it. That's not something you had to do. You didn't have to mention St. Louis. So why did you? And what was your favorite part about the St. Louis community?

I just did it out of respect for the fans. It was their team for the last 20 years and I know I was there for probably only six or seven months. And you know, I definitely felt for the fans because I just had my rookie year and I had a pretty good year. And I enjoyed St. Louis, it was a good time. I definitely liked St. Louis, it was real chill and relaxed. I'm definitely going to miss it, but it's time for LA now.

Last year at this time, you were dealing with the recovery and the pre-draft process. This is your first real NFL offseason. What has been the difference and how will it effect the upcoming year?
I actually had time to relax and travel. It's my first official offseason ever. It was pretty cool. I had the Pro-Bowl experience, got to go to the Super Bowl. Then, you know, just to be able to go back home and visit my mom and just rest my body. Now we're back here training and it's feeling pretty good.

Last year, even though your play was great, I kept hearing that you still weren't even 100 percent yet. Are you 100 percent now?

Yeah man, I'm feeling good. Definitely ready for the upcoming season. Feeling pretty good.

What can we expect from the 2016 offense? Any big changes?

We still have coach (Rob) Boras as the O.C. and brought in some new coaches. I mean, for the most part it'll be the same. There'll be a couple changes but for the most part we're just going to stick to our game and we just have to step up as players and make plays.

You just finished your rookie year. Do you have any advice for the new rookie who's going to be coming in?

Come in and work hard. Let the rest take care of itself. It's football, it's not rocket science. You've been playing football your whole career. Nothing's going to change, you just have to step up the competition and the energy.

How much time have you spent in LA so far?

It depends if you want to call Oxnard LA. But I've been out here for like the last two months.

What stands out about LA so far? As far as the fans and the region in general.

It's just cool out here, like the vibe. Relaxing. Beautiful. Good weather, no rain. So you know, can't beat that.

You're moving from AstroTurf at the Edward Jones Dome to real grass. Does that make any difference to you?

I forgot all about that! As a football player you kind of get used to playing on turf and grass, so it's not that bad. You only do it for a couple of hours.

You can follow Steven Gerwel on Twitter @Steve_Ger or reach him with any questions or comments at STLsportBlog@gmail.com.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good read, Steve.

Gurley seems like a genuinely nice guy.
We're blessed to have him

StevenG-BR

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good read, Steve.

Gurley seems like a genuinely nice guy.
We're blessed to have him

When I talked to him he seemed like the most chill person there is. Not a care in the world. Wish I could've talked to him another 10-20 minutes.