My idea of a "perfect" beginning to this offseason...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yup, and this is gonna be kinda tricky. Especially the timing of everything.

My perfect offseason? Hire the best possible GM first. I mean, the man that has demonstrated the most exec abilities in addition to superior talent evaluation skills. This is absolutely Job One for me. No question.

Then give HIM complete authority over football matters, other than contract negotiations. He should report only to Kroenke. I can't overemphasize this. The GM makes the final decision on picks, trades, and FA matters (after consultation with his HC on "type" preferences, of course).

Then let the new GM conduct the HC search and hire.

I would keep Demoff for contract management and any other "projects" that Kroenke comes up with. But not anything directly related to player personnel type decisions.

BTW, I like Snead, but I'm afraid he's gonna be collateral damage after the Fisher firing. I now think that we need more than just a good talent evaluator at the helm, and that's all that we know Snead to be.

The new HC should be allowed to hire any assistants that he wants and to install any schemes that he likes. He would have final say on the 53, the starters, the cuts, etc.

Now, that's my perfect sequence for a successful Ram offseason. Not sure if the Rams see it that way, though. Lol.

Here's my current list of preferred candidates for interviews and in their proper order.

Chris Petersen (yeah, he's the one that checks every box for me)
John Harbaugh (if he becomes available)
David Shaw (if he's at all interested)
Nick Saban (all he does is win)
Urban Meyer (another consistent winner)

I would be VERY happy with any of the above. All are consistent winners with proven exec type HC skills. All 5 are masters of all phases of the game. Unfortunately, 3 of them are unlikely to be interested in leaving their college gigs. And John Harbaugh might not even be available, either.

Then, and only then would I be scheduling the "whiz kid" coordinators for interviews.

Shanahan
McDaniels
McVay
Anybody else they want to talk to.

These guys all have that boom or bust risk associated with their hire. Yet, they would need to be given at least 3 years to prove themselves. That would include the inaugural season at the new palace. I don't like that kinda risk. Do you?

I much prefer the proven successful HC from my original 5 above.

Note: I didn't list Gruden, did I? Heck, I wouldn't even interview him, TBH. Out of the coaching ranks for too long, plus I consider him a diva. Then there's his overall coaching record. That's 3 boxes that I have to leave unchecked, right there. But that's just me.

Oh, one last thing. Yeah, I would interview them all. But once I fell in love with a superior candidate, I would offer him the danged job. I would NOT drag this out any further than necessary. Time is gonna be short enough as it is for the new man to get his ducks in a row. Why add another couple of weeks to the hiring process? Besides, why allow another team to tempt the man the Rams most prefer with some ridiculous and desperate offer?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'm a huge fan of Petersen who's also a local boy (Sacramento), go figure. Good offensive mind and a disciplinarian. However, I wouldn't want to necessarily give preference to a college coach over an ideal candidate like Shanahan. College football vs NFL football are vastly different, look at how long it's taken Goff to translate.

Otherwise, you have a very good list. Who would you say is a candidate for GM?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Chris Petersen is one heck of a football coach, but IMHO, he has the job he's coveted most and will have a long tenure at Washington. Petersen does not strike me as an NFL Head Coach, whereas Shaw does, but stranger things have happened. I feel the same way about Nick Saban & Urban Meyer they are where they most want to be and Saban will never go back to the NFL whereas Meyer's game does not translate well to either, IMHO.

…..

Legend
Saban's wife has said she is tired of moving and loves LOVES it in Tuscaloosa. Now that could be just Alabama Alumni comfort reporting, or it could be real. I live within 100 miles of there so I see a lot of tidbits.

…..

Legend
Note: I didn't list Gruden, did I? Heck, I wouldn't even interview him, TBH. Out of the coaching ranks for too long, plus I consider him a diva. Then there's his overall coaching record. That's 3 boxes that I have to leave unchecked, right there. But that's just me.

A good friend of mine and HUGE Tampa fan waited on Gruden and his family once at a restaurant. She says he was rude, extremely condescending, and a shitty tipper.

So yeah....fuck him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here's my current list of preferred candidates for interviews and in their proper order.

I would be VERY happy with any of the above.
Me too 43....I think I'd back up the brinks truck to see, Nick S, David S, or Jim Harbaugh coach the Rams....Meyer & Peterson are excellent in what they do as well...

I haven't forgotten about Jim Tressel as well....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Nice job finally giving Petersen some proper respect, and I like the rest of the list except for Shaw. Plus I'd flip Harbaugh and Gruden -- I'm not a Gruden fan at all but could still stomach him and root for the Rams if they went that direction, versus going the complete asshat douche direction.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Line up our offensive coaches one-by one and state the following...
giphy.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just a minor correction...

I specified John Harbaugh, not Jim Harbaugh.

I would be more than fine with Jim, but that looks like a pipe dream at this point.

The reason I mentioned John Harbaugh is that I've read that the Ravens might be wanting to part company with him at the end of this season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
With the exception of Harbaugh, I like this List! It would be perfect, to me, IF you added Gruden into Harbaugh's spot!(y);):D

Rams43

Hall of Fame
With the exception of Harbaugh, I like this List! It would be perfect, to me, IF you added Gruden into Harbaugh's spot!(y);):D

I guess you missed the part where I said that I wouldn't even bother to interview Gruden, 51. Lol.

He ain't EVAH gonna be on my top 5 list.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess you missed the part where I said that I wouldn't even bother to interview Gruden, 51. Lol.

He ain't EVAH gonna be on my top 5 list.
Ok! But I would. that's the only difference between your, 2nd Best List, and My Perfect List!!(y);):rolllaugh:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not so high on John Harbaugh first off. He won a Super Bowl so he certainly will be interviewed if the Ravens fire him. But even if that happens I hope he's not the guy. Good fundamentals coach which is certainly needed, but I think the Rams can do better.

I want them to go the coordinator route and my reasoning is we have the owner to do that. He is patient, does not meddle, and whichever guy we get cements that offensive knowledge in-house where it cannot be poached. Rare offensive knowledge is coveted in this league. Last year and the year before just about all the hires were those guys. You gotta have one, they're more important than QB, because QB prospects can be drafted but if your staff is offensively challenged you don't have a damn chance and the only way to poach them is by promoting an OC from another staff to your HC position.

Shanahan is the top guy of the group I think. He'll be focused hard. But McDaniels also knows Stan based on his year with us as OC and also has a very strong resume. McVay & Cooter are both young hotshots who have great gameplanning instincts and teaching ability. Basically there's no way to know which will hire the best staff though, and that my friend is what will determine which of them proves to be the quickest study as a HC.

The key here is the owner's patience. If I'm Demoff I bring the one who has the best plan in as our new hire and I build the front office around him. Structure the relationship like the Seahawks, where the coach has full control during camp to elimination, and the GM has the rest of the year. Choose a GM who has a strong resume and take the new coach's recommendation as far as is practical.

This is all based on the assumption that the rockstar types will end up not happening. Obviously if they get a guy like Saban or Chuckie on the hook it's game over. But all those greats start somewhere, let's take a flyer on one of them even if it's a young guy like McVay. Coaching is coaching man, so if that dude blows me away in interviews with his projected hires and plan he's my guy regardless of age.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I have a question for Gruden fans.

Fisher was often criticised for not having adapted to a new NFL. He was stuck in the past etc etc. So, and this is a genuine question with no hidden meaning, why would hiring Gruden as head coach be a good move seeing as he hasn't been in the league for years and years? Wouldn't there also be potential for him to fail to adapt as well?

I know he's remained "in the game" with his commentating gig but any ex-coach can stay "in the game" with a gamepass subscription.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JMO but I don't think being a successful college coach always carries over. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban do not strike me as guys who fit the NFL. Petersen could, but I don't think he has any interest in it.

I also don't feel that going GM first is the right way to do it. I think our best chance of hiring a top HC candidate is to let the HC pick the GM they'll work with. If you pick a GM first, you're only capable of getting coaches willing to work with him. IMO, it makes the Rams job a lot less desirable to HC candidates than if they're able to pick the guy they'll work with.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm not so high on John Harbaugh first off. He won a Super Bowl so he certainly will be interviewed if the Ravens fire him. But even if that happens I hope he's not the guy. Good fundamentals coach which is certainly needed, but I think the Rams can do better.

I want them to go the coordinator route and my reasoning is we have the owner to do that. He is patient, does not meddle, and whichever guy we get cements that offensive knowledge in-house where it cannot be poached. Rare offensive knowledge is coveted in this league. Last year and the year before just about all the hires were those guys. You gotta have one, they're more important than QB, because QB prospects can be drafted but if your staff is offensively challenged you don't have a damn chance and the only way to poach them is by promoting an OC from another staff to your HC position.

Shanahan is the top guy of the group I think. He'll be focused hard. But McDaniels also knows Stan based on his year with us as OC and also has a very strong resume. McVay & Cooter are both young hotshots who have great gameplanning instincts and teaching ability. Basically there's no way to know which will hire the best staff though, and that my friend is what will determine which of them proves to be the quickest study as a HC.

The key here is the owner's patience. If I'm Demoff I bring the one who has the best plan in as our new hire and I build the front office around him. Structure the relationship like the Seahawks, where the coach has full control during camp to elimination, and the GM has the rest of the year. Choose a GM who has a strong resume and take the new coach's recommendation as far as is practical.

This is all based on the assumption that the rockstar types will end up not happening. Obviously if they get a guy like Saban or Chuckie on the hook it's game over. But all those greats start somewhere, let's take a flyer on one of them even if it's a young guy like McVay. Coaching is coaching man, so if that dude blows me away in interviews with his projected hires and plan he's my guy regardless of age.

My reason for concern about choosing a coordinator is purely the boom or bust factor, Merlin.

Being a successful HC requires far more than implementing O or D concepts. So much more, actually. And it's really difficult to project whether a "whiz kid" coordinator has, or ever will have those necessary skill sets. We've all seen so many terrific coordinators that have utterly failed as HC's. No need to name names, is there? The Rams have had more than their fair share, that's for sure.

So, I prefer to hire an already proven multiyear and multifaceted HC, even though it's been in the college ranks. The highest levels of the college ranks, I might add.

'Course, we're just spitballin' here. I fully intend to support whichever new HC that they hire.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
JMO but I don't think being a successful college coach always carries over. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban do not strike me as guys who fit the NFL. Petersen could, but I don't think he has any interest in it.

I also don't feel that going GM first is the right way to do it. I think our best chance of hiring a top HC candidate is to let the HC pick the GM they'll work with. If you pick a GM first, you're only capable of getting coaches willing to work with him. IMO, it makes the Rams job a lot less desirable to HC candidates than if they're able to pick the guy they'll work with.

Hiring a college HC vs a "whiz kid" coordinator to be Ram HC can be argued both ways, jrry32.

TONS of examples of both successes and failures to point to with both ways. I can easily see where two reasonable people could disagree on this.

However, going GM first and giving him full authority makes a ton of sense to me. It's a first things first thing, imo.

It's not only the most "traditional" method, but it's in keeping with the normal business type organizational chart that has been used in the free market business environment since dirt was new.

Reggie McKenzie/Jack del Rio is a recent excellent illustration of great success.

Fisher/Snead is an excellent illustration of failure. Hell, we still aren't 100% sure which man made the good and bad picks, trades, and FA decisions.

Besides, who would you prefer to be choosing our next HC? A Polian/Wolf/McKenzie type? Or Demoff?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My reason for concern about choosing a coordinator is purely the boom or bust factor, Merlin.

Being a successful HC requires far more than implementing O or D concepts. So much more, actually. And it's really difficult to project whether a "whiz kid" coordinator has, or ever will have those necessary skill sets. We've all seen so many terrific coordinators that have utterly failed as HC's. No need to name names, is there? The Rams have had more than their fair share, that's for sure.

So, I prefer to hire an already proven multiyear and multifaceted HC, even though it's been in the college ranks. The highest levels of the college ranks, I might add.

'Course, we're just spitballin' here. I fully intend to support whichever new HC that they hire.

I'll support whoever it is too, 43. You and I are very similar in that way. Got a pitcher of Kool-Aid ready for whoever it is.

That said, much of the "boom or bust" factor with rare coordinator types is the impatience of owners. Stan is the ideal owner to grow a HC under. Now people will cite the stadium opening and that the pressure in LA changes everything, and I agree with that, but when you look at "fit" with this roster a rare offensive mind is going to be exactly what they need. Dallas is a good example of this, they also have an owner nobody would call patient but he recognized the value of the offensive mind on his staff, hired the guy as head coach, and then "grew him" into the coach he wanted with the patience nobody expected him to demonstrate and now it's paying off.

The fact is that any first-time head coach is going to need development time. These guys don't get to being where they are as a hot OC and recognized offensive mind on accident. McVay, for example, IS that. I've actually come around to where he is the guy I want, edging out Shanny's kid. Why? The way he developed Cousins, and the demonstrated product in Washington without having better talent than everyone else.

What worries me is the org around the new HC moreso than anything else, so we're on the same page there. But that's gonna be how the Rams do it. They're gonna bring in the head coach to get the mind they want, and he will be part of the GM hire. Not the way I'd prefer it (I'd prefer the GM first) but the key is hiring the right people so there's more than one way to get 'er done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, going GM first and giving him full authority makes a ton of sense to me. It's a first things first thing, imo.

It's not only the most "traditional" method, but it's in keeping with the normal business type organizational chart that has been used in the free market business environment since dirt was new.

Fisher/Snead is an excellent illustration of failure. Hell, we still aren't 100% sure which man made the good and bad picks, trades, and FA decisions.

Besides, who would you prefer to be choosing our next HC? A Polian/Wolf/McKenzie type? Or Demoff?

When you go with that traditional method, the GM is the HC's boss. The top HC candidates aren't going to want a boss. They're going to want a partner.

Who would I prefer choosing our next HC? I'm really not too concerned about that. There's no guarantee we land a Polian/Wolf/McKenzie type. Even if we do, McKenzie's first HC hire was a failure (Dennis Allen).

I'd prefer us to get the best HC possible. So I'd prefer us to utilize the method that won't have top candidates refusing to take our job.

Reggie McKenzie/Jack del Rio is a recent excellent illustration of great success.

And Pete Carroll picked his own GM, John Schneider. That also panned out well. Whereas McKenzie and his first HC, Dennis Allen, did not.

Which tells me that you need both a good HC and a good GM for the organization to be successful.

Here's also one big flaw in the logic here. Who would you prefer to be choosing our next GM? A Belichick/Carroll/Andy Reid type? Or Demoff?

Because while our GM would choose our HC, Demoff would be the one choosing the GM. So you're still not getting rid of Demoff's voice in the process. Due to that, I'd rather Demoff get his choice of any HC and then that HC work with the team on what GM to hire.

I also don't agree with the people who say Demoff isn't qualified to make these sort of calls. Plus, Demoff won't be doing it alone.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
When you go with that traditional method, the GM is the HC's boss. The top HC candidates aren't going to want a boss. They're going to want a partner.

Who would I prefer choosing our next HC? I'm really not too concerned about that. There's no guarantee we land a Polian/Wolf/McKenzie type. Even if we do, McKenzie's first HC hire was a failure (Dennis Allen).

I'd prefer us to get the best HC possible. So I'd prefer us to utilize the method that won't have top candidates refusing to take our job.

And Pete Carroll picked his own GM, John Schneider. That also panned out well. Whereas McKenzie and his first HC, Dennis Allen, did not.

Which tells me that you need both a good HC and a good GM for the organization to be successful.

Here's also one big flaw in the logic here. Who would you prefer to be choosing our next GM? A Belichick/Carroll/Andy Reid type? Or Demoff?

Because while our GM would choose our HC, Demoff would be the one choosing the GM. So you're still not getting rid of Demoff's voice in the process. Due to that, I'd rather Demoff get his choice of any HC and then that HC work with the team on what GM to hire.

I also don't agree with the people who say Demoff isn't qualified to make these sort of calls. Plus, Demoff won't be doing it alone.

I can see how two reasonable people could see this differently, jrry32.

Tons of examples of successes and failures both ways.

But if it's my call, I get the GM first. Then HE hires the HC.

Not sure I'm crazy about any of the "name" candidates that might insist on "final say" authority, anyway. Almost a deal breaker for me, actually.

The tail has been wagging the dog for 5 years here, already. Enough...