My Fisher roller coaster ride continues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is, and was. Fisher had him for 23 of his 80 games.

So you think that recent offense would work with a decent QB? I don't even think it would work with an excellent QB. The line couldn't open holes or pass block. One receiver could catch. The system was very basic. The Niners dissected it with surgical precision twice...and they suck.

And Fisher had final say on personnel and the draft. He is totally responsible, especially considering he had 5 years to fill his roster.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
3 drafts since Bradford's 2014 acl tear.

I'm over Fisher too.

Let the next guy do it.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
3 drafts since Bradford's 2014 acl tear.

I'm over Fisher too.

Let the next guy do it.

Here's my problem.
Glad Fisher's gone, think he got dealt a bad hand, but didn't really help himself.

But every time I read, " He shoulda' gotten a QB", I just want to scream.

I mean, it's like pickng an apple off a tree.
Need a franchise QB? - just go get one - easy peasy.

Seriously, do y'all have any idea how fucking stupid that sounds?

Jesus!

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
So you think that recent offense would work with a decent QB? I don't even think it would work with an excellent QB. The line couldn't open holes or pass block. One receiver could catch. The system was very basic. The Niners dissected it with surgical precision twice...and they suck.

And Fisher had final say on personnel and the draft. He is totally responsible, especially considering he had 5 years to fill his roster.

You're dissembling - I was responding to your QB reference.
Fisher obviously should have drafted all-pros at every position on the team.

My bad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're dissembling - I was responding to your QB reference.
Fisher obviously should have drafted all-pros at every position on the team.

My bad.

The QB thing was in regards to someone blaming Fisher's offensive woes on,"never having a good QB"

And, there is no need to take offense. Yes the QB is the most important piece to the puzzle, but until McVay, Cousins was not highly regarded. A guy like Rich Gannon, or Carey Collins can play well enough despite not being real good in other stints. My point with the roster is Fisher had five years to fix two of the most important offensive positions. He never had a good OLine and gave up on Bradford because of his injury, just like Amendola. Why not shelve Bradford and get a backup to play. Seriously give Sam time to heal. Amendola has been a good contributor in NE.

He drafted defenders well, but his formula of taking the most athletic players and improving their football skills, so they become good NFL players rarely works on offense. Should he have drafted All-Pros? Yes but that can't happen with a flawed drafting strategy. Robinson was as raw as they come. He never pass blocked in college. Fisher takes him number two overall because he believed they could teach him. He never figured out how to best utilize Tavon. why? Because Tavon is more of an athlete than a receiver. Why can't he run good routes yet? His hands are small, arms too short, but oooh he is" like a lightning bug". Fisher had the picks, and acted like that first trade was guaranteed to put the Rams in contention. It takes more than a lot of picks to win games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my problem.
Glad Fisher's gone, think he got dealt a bad hand, but didn't really help himself.

But every time I read, " He shoulda' gotten a QB", I just want to scream.

I mean, it's like pickng an apple off a tree.
Need a franchise QB? - just go get one - easy peasy.

Seriously, do y'all have any idea how freaking stupid that sounds?

Jesus!
It doesn't sound stupid at all.
"He shoulda gotten a QB" doesn't mean a franchise guy.
And I agree its not as easy as picking an apple from a tree, however Fisher seemed to try and pick an apple from a tomato plant. Why is it every guy he "picked" played terrible?
When you are picking up guys off the scrap heap, like Hill, Foles, Keenum and Davis, you get what you pay for.
Meanwhile other teams doubled down on QB like Cousins, Wilson, Garrapolo, Prescott and Siemien, the Rams drafted Gilbert. So yeah its not easy to catch lightning in a bottle but chances are you find something better to eat in a grocery store than a dumpster

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FWIW's I will throw this out there, if Butch Jones really struggles at Tennessee and they make a coaching change I could see Jeff Fisher being on the short list. However, I guarantee you, he will hire a high profile college offensive coordinator, but I could see Fisher getting play in college because that is the only way, he will be a Head Coach again at the collegiate level and if Jones fails the Volunteers will be at a crossroads in their program and they will hope Fisher is the next Pete Carroll.
Great call.
I think you could be on to something. Lovie Smith got the Illinois job based on his NFL cache, why not Fisher.
Crazy to say after 22 years as a HC, but he's relatively young, I think 58, so a college coaching job could be the perfect fit.
Could definitely see him being successful at recruiting, he truly seems like a terrific guy

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't sound stupid at all.
"He shoulda gotten a QB" doesn't mean a franchise guy.
And I agree its not as easy as picking an apple from a tree, however Fisher seemed to try and pick an apple from a tomato plant. Why is it every guy he "picked" played terrible?
When you are picking up guys off the scrap heap, like Hill, Foles, Keenum and Davis, you get what you pay for.
Meanwhile other teams doubled down on QB like Cousins, Wilson, Garrapolo, Prescott and Siemien, the Rams drafted Gilbert. So yeah its not easy to catch lightning in a bottle but chances are you find something better to eat in a grocery store than a dumpster
Yup... he had five years and pretty much total control and it never really got better after the initial lift.

QB.. RB... WR... TE... Oline... five years and no improvement there?

How anyone can say that wasn't on Fisher is really beyond me.

Once again, for emphasis... he was given basically total control. I suspect he had to approve most every move.

He reaped what he sowed. It really was on Fisher, IMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those guys would have won a few more games for us if Fisher had built a decent O-Line. That was his biggest failure.
Maybe... maybe not.

Those guys have gone onto other teams, right?

How are they doing?

Ram65

Legend
I haven't seen any of the shows so my opinion comes from watching Rams football with reading info and opinions here.

First thing is I wish Jeff had stayed with Bradford one more year. It wouldn't cha
nged Fisher's overall failure but, he might have had a winning season. Lot of close games that Bradford could have made a big difference over the inferior Nick Foles. Fisher seemed like a good motivator for division games except last years Whiners opener. However, all to often the Rams came out flat outside of those games. His Rams teams and game planning were never good enough to over come starting games flat.

The aging Wells and Long along with the Bradford injuries put the offense behind the eight ball. His Rams didn't hit on the offensive draft picks to help resurrect the offense which made matters worse. Better offensive coordinators would have helped the play calling and maybe the drafting. Fishers's Rams could never straighten out the offensive line problems which hurt any offensive advancement. Add the inability to get a QB close to Bradford's physical talents made the offense near non existent.

He left some talent for McVay to work with. He and the Rams over paid on many contracts but, didn't bury the Rams cap management. He left a very solid defensive base to build on and some offensive talent to work with. After five years the Rams are better off than when Jeff Fisher took over. The Rams were really really bad before Fisher.

Last edited: