My Fisher roller coaster ride continues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
obviously it didnt turn out how anyone would have liked, but I wont ever hate the man. Not only did he GREATLY improve the talent on this team but he did it reasonably fast. And as bad as its been these past few years, had the Rams been better we may not have landed guys like Donald, Gurley, and Goff. hopefully it all ends well

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Come on Les, you're better than this, Jackson did a great job as OC for the Bengals as he waited as the WR Coach before Jay Gruden got the Redskin gig. Hue Jackson would have been head & shoulders above Schottenheimer, who is not just a QB coach failing as a coordinator not only with the Rams, but at the collegiate level too. (Georgia).

Yes because he had a QB to work with and make his system work well in Cincy. Now he has nothing to work with.

If he was the HC in Cincy (and probably shou8ld be LOL) he'd still be sucessful.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now this is just speculation on my part, but I know he interviewed Schottenheimer first because he was available and Schotty has the ability to interview very well and is affable, in fact, the Jets would have hired him as Head Coach back in 2009, but they felt he did not have enough experience and any Head Coach they interviewed back then the Jets made it a point that he had to keep Schottenheimer as OC.

So Fisher interviews Schotty and obviously came away impressed because they both had a home in Nashville and all that Jazz, then Jackson becomes available. Now fast forward to Tim Walton, Fisher hired Walton, but when Gregg Williams was available Fisher hand to mend fences to bring him back, but he did because he knew Williams was superior to Walton.

I don't know why Fisher did not realize the opportunity with Jackson maybe he felt Jackson would be off & running to be another Head Coach some have posted Fisher did not hire any former Head Coaches on his staff besides Dave McGinnis, but I always wondered why with all the opportunity press people have nobody asked Fisher that question right from the start and why they never asked him why he did not look into hiring a high profile OC that had been at the very minimum an offensive coordinator at the NFL level.

When he was in Tennessee, he hired Les Steckel who had been a Head Coach before then hired Mike Heimerdinger who was on everyone's short list as an OC working under Mike Shanahan in Denver and then Norm Chow, who was a high profile OC in college. A far better track record then with the Rams...Will never understand, but that very reason is why Jeff Fisher is now on the outside looking in and will never ever be a Head Coach at the NFL level unless it's on an interim basis.

Hiring Norm Chow was a joke imo .
Fisher had a IC who Buddy Ryan went after at Halftime. They had a couple run ins. Fisher didn't handle it well.

The Williams thing ? Well Williams son helped the first year. Joke. Then Walton ? He was not bad , but made into a scape goat. Fisher always waited to long to make his hiring. He put HUNTING first !! The Rob Ryan was such a slap in Fishers face , right there you had to have thought something is F'd up with him as a Head Coach.
Williams showed what a good coach he was when he went back to Tennessee first. He was solid , but teams always waited to pick on his weaknesses at the right moments.

Shotty shows how bad he is when he was the OC at Georgia .

Jerome Kerese was such a stud. The way Fisher treated McNair & Vince Young shows no class.

The thing with ED29 got him fired. The Rams history especially now back in LA is to deep to F' with .

--McVay & The Rams franchise showed class by bringing in all the old Ram ledgends was super cool. Helps building the foundation stronger.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jackson is struggling in CLE and the reason is no QB.

He hired terrible OC's and that did him in. I don't think he got involved with the O so I don't think he failed to embrace the current form of offenses. His hires were HORRIBLE.

Merlin you just summed it up perfectly.

The ongoing (a few years long) discussion about Fisher, and me looking into his record year by year is what ultimately cemented my position about the 3 most important people on a teams payroll. If you look at Fishers history other than a mostly or completely healthy McNair he's had two things working against him. A lousy QB and a lousy owner. It's hard to win with that.

Some of you may have read that I feel that almost without exception the HC is less important than the GM, the QB and the owner. I say that because a lot of "top flight" HC's don't win when they lose the QB, the worst thing a team can have happen is to have the starter miss several games. Think about when a HC ends up coaching a team without a good QB and without a GM that can evaluate and pick talent. Think about what the winning percentage in the NFL is with backup QB's or how many times a team goes downhill because they can't pick and identify talent very well.

Fisher for much of his coaching career never had a chance to begin with. Some is/was self inflicted (identifying talent) but some of it was external.

Remember when he let Schott talk him into trying a version of the spread? Fisher scrapped that plan after four games. He my not be all about the details, but he certainly dictated what scheme he wanted. He was the head coach. He was not handing his offense over to someone that didn't do what he wanted. Fisher is old school all the way.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher would not correct the elephant in the room, and that was the offensive side of the ball. I really didn't care about the red flag incident, and the whole thing with Eric Dickerson. Fisher, to me, is not an incompetent coach. He just seems to be really stubborn about the offensive scheme, or lack thereof. I'd love to drink a beer with the guy, and you can tell that he is liked by the players and coaches alike. If he would have just given the reigns of the offense to a OC who had a proven track record of getting things done, I think the landscape would have looked a little bit differently. What and who worked in Tennessee in the 90's just doesn't work now.

I think this roller coaster ride you are on is due to the humanistic, and emotional outlook of how things transpired. I think we should remember those things without having to see it on film.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Remember when he let Schott talk him into trying a version of the spread? Fisher scrapped that plan after four games. He my not be all about the details, but he certainly dictated what scheme he wanted. He was the head coach. He was not handing his offense over to someone that didn't do what he wanted. Fisher is old school all the way.

It's hard to say on that because Schott was just horrible.

When he went to the Browns as OC after awhile his mentor, Holmgren, actually took away his play calling and did it himself because of how poorly he was performing.

That's pretty effing bad. When your mentor hires you as the OC then takes playcalling away from you LOL. I've never heard of that before.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Fish is not a competent HC, end of story
train

As happy as i am that he was gone, i would think you gotta look at the whole picture when you're talking about Fisher's performance as a head coach.

The guy has won more games than he lost... (172 wins which is a lot of fuckin wins)...and had some good play off runs including a SB appearance...

Now his run here was far from perfect and his firing was warranted but i wouldnt call a guy who's accomplished what he has "incompetent"...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If he could or would have just hired a good OC and stayed out of that side of the game, we could have been good. A healthy Bradford would have also helped.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Fisher had a 5 year run in which he went 56-24 and outside of that run, he has been 117-141-1.
Had the Music City miracle been called correctly, his playoff record would be 2-6

He's clearly a pretty awesome guy and as much as I dislike what became of the team, you cant help but like the guy for who he appears to be. But he's gotten way too much mileage out of a fluke win and a short run. The rest of his career has been pretty lousy

His first 9 years as a HC he was 77-57 with 4 playoff teams and 2 losing seasons (both 7-9).
His last 12 year as a HC he was 85-103-1 with 2 playoff teams, which were the only years he had a winning record. 8 losing season out of 12 and 5 times he had less than 7 wins.

That 5 year run you speak of was partially possible because Mike Heimerdinger was his OC for 4 of them (00-03). McNair, George, Wycheck and Derrick Mason were the usual suspects during that period. When you see a 21 year career with 4 winning season during a 5 year stretch and not much else, you have to accept that was an anomaly. Much like 99-03 for the Rams from 1990-2017.

Like you say, he is a good guy. And we shouldn't worry because he got to coach in the NFL for 21 years, have some good times and make some good money. But I do believe those days are over.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to say on that because Schott was just horrible.

When he went to the Browns as OC after awhile his mentor, Holmgren, actually took away his play calling and did it himself because of how poorly he was performing.

That's pretty effing bad. When your mentor hires you as the OC then takes playcalling away from you LOL. I've never heard of that before.
I don't follow, are you talking about Shotty?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only did they scrap the plan, it also undermined all the off season personnel moves. Why trade up for Tavon Austin, draft his WVA team mate Stedman Bailey and sign big $$ free agent Jared Cook if all you planned on doing was run the ball? I'll never understand what happened there

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't seen the show yet but it sounds like he comes off as a friend to many.

If that is the case, maybe that was part of the problem?

He's gone now (I'm thankful)... he won't be hurting for money so all's good.

Onto the new regime... change can be good!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he never brought one in, that is on him. He truly believed that Case Keenum was one.
And Nick Foles... and Austin Davis for a bit... and...Shaun Hill... you get the idea.

You're right, those decisions were on him.

As many have said, he simply was not equipped to oversee an offense. That's no sin.

What is... is that he refused to find someone who was (equipped).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Nick Foles... and Austin Davis for a bit... and...Shaun Hill... you get the idea.

You're right, those decisions were on him.

As many have said, he simply was not equipped to oversee an offense. That's no sin.

What is... is that he refused to find someone who was (equipped).
And when Davis was playing his best, Fisher refused to give him support, kept supporting Hill that he was the guy once healthy.
Head scratcher after head scratcher decisions

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And when Davis was playing his best, Fisher refused to give him support, kept supporting Hill that he was the guy once healthy.
Head scratcher after head scratcher decisions
Here's to hoping McVay has the conviction to stay the course for a reasonable period of time.

Can't keep switching boats in mid-stream.