My First Ever Bradford Post

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Shocking isn't it? ;)

In all seriousness though, I think he's been a decent QB throughout his career with the potential to be really good. Anybody who has a half a brain knows his whole situation so I don't even have to go over it. My question is this, what are your expectations this year for him? I don't really care about wins. That's a team stat unless your Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Coming off the ACL injury, what do you expect? Will he break the 30 TD mark? Can he show he can stay healthy? I know this has been completely beat to death but I'm just curious on your opinions lol

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd say Top 10 potential. Maybe even Top 5 on a good year. Probably not ever a Top 3.

While of course, one would always prefer to get #1, we shouldn't replace him until/unless we think we can do better.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I can't answer that until after the draft. If we get Watkins then yes. If we get Robinson then no. Nothing to do with Sam, really. I just think his opportunities to throw TD's will go down with our dominant running game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I can't answer that until after the draft. If we get Watkins then yes. If we get Robinson then no. Nothing to do with Sam, really. I just think his opportunities to throw TD's will go down with our dominant running game.
I appreciate that you're high on Watkins but I think you're discounting just how effective the 2013 group looked once Stacy started to establish himself. I'm still skeptical of Quick but Bailey really came on and Austin looked like the guy that the Rams moved up to get. A stud #1WR would be nice but not getting one won't mean the difference between Bradford being a top QB or falling off the map.

Bradford was borderline top 10 with a very shaky group and a couple of bad games. If nothing else changes, which it probably will improve IMO, continuity, stability and experience will all keep Bradford at that same high level and maybe even better. A stud WR is just gravy, not essential.

RamsFan14

Starter
I hate to be a downer, but one thing I do worry about with him is confidence. Will he be able to stand strong in the pocket and make the throws with his repaired ACL? Unfortunately, I think it's a serious question because he's been beat up his whole career. I worried that he could be damaged goods... 2011 was a terrible year with all the big hits his taken, and sack numbers don't explain the amount of hits he's taken through his career... Too many bad hits imo can really screw with the brain and can lead to being gun shy. I worry about confidence, that's my biggest concern with him. He's a tough QB, but he can only take so many big hits before it gets to him.

Like I always say, the situation he's been put in in STL has been total bad luck. I honestly don't know what to expect, and I think anything could happen to him at this point. I hope he's the guy, I'd be beyond happy as he's been one of my favorite players for a long time. Unfortunately, I think anything is possible with him due to... All the crap he's been through.

Ram_of_Old

He will have a top ten defense to help him this year....maybe a top five. If Jake Long comes back, we pick up a top tackle and maybe a top wideout, we can vie for the division. Sam can only be as good as the people around him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I pulled up the list of starting QBs in the league. I firmly believe that if Sam is protected, he absolutely can be a top QB in this league - maybe even THE top QB in this league. Now before you whack on me, here is what I'm thinking. Neither Brady nor Manning win big games without time to pass, a decent running game, and receivers getting open. Of course they make players around them better to an extent. But we have seen ample evidence in the past several SBs that not only do the best QBs not guarantee wins but also that some mediocre QBs can get the job done as well.

Put Brady on his ass a few times early in the game and he can look plain bad. Give him good time to pass and he will eat you alive. Same with Manning - though that shocked me this SB because I actually had him on a whole other level than any other QB.

When you watch Sam play and you see him have enough time to have plays develop and give him a decent running game, he absolutely can carve up a defense. Of course, if you are running mostly curls and stops, the QB can be on the money all day long and the stats make him look only so so. He misses some passes and even some of them badly. Watch tape on any top QB and you will see that same thing. Yes - even Manning and Brady.

I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but take all things into account and I think Sam is better than Ryan; better than Stafford; better than Flacco; etc... I look at that list of current QBs and see only but a few QBs I would put ahead of Sam when I consider all things that affect their play. Then when you think about the fact that both Brady and Manning are all but done, it puts us in a pretty enviable position. Sam is 26. If we protect him, and our receivers actually catch the damn ball, he could easily be in the top 5-10 this season and build from there.

How long is Brees going to play? Manning? Brady? If we game plan around making Sam the best, I think he WILL be one of the best.

Look at his piss poor O-line and injuries along it over the years and then look at his receivers. Danny A. - best years were with Sam throwing to him - NOT Brady. Brandon Gibson - best years were with Sam throwing to him. Mark Clayton - Played most of 5 games with Sam and was on pace for 1,000 yards (something he had never done). Denario - nuff said there. Mardy Gilliard - really? Laurent Robinson - Had one good year with Dallas then returned to his journeyman form. Lloyd - played just 10 games with Sam and averaged enough yards per game to put him on pace for the second best season of his entire career. Sims-Walker - wow. Can you underwhelm me any more with a FA move? Greg Salas - best year was with Sam. Couldn't even make it with THIS receiver unit. Austin Pettis - Journeyman receiver to date with no comparibles with other teams. Has improved slightly each year. Chris Givens - 700 yards as a 4th round rookie. Was on pace to slightly better that when Sam went down. Steve Smith - Was completely on the decline and is now out of the league. Couldn't see the field for our team. Brian Quick - was on pace for over 500 yards with Sam behind center (obviously still not great) - finished 200 yards short of that. 2013 Rookies and Cook - Small sample so far. Cook was on pace for 900 yards. before Sam went down.

Now look at the numbers he DID have: he was on pace for over 4,000 yards, 35 TDs, and 10 INTs playing with journeyman Pettis as his most seasoned receiver. The running game was averaging 70 yards per game while Sam was in there even though the defenses actually had a passing threat to deal with. We had 18 yards - 18 yards! rushing against SF and 35 against Dallas. In both those games Sam hit 8 different receivers. We averaged 140 yards/game when we figured out that we actually could run and after we went with Stacy who was not only a better runner out of the backfield but better than DR in pass protect as well.

Keeping Sam protected is key. I wouldn't call him injury prone right now but certainly, if he goes down again this season, that could be the case. If he is able to stay on the field and we can protect him, there is no doubt in my mind that he can become an elite passer and elevate the play of those around him as well.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I never post about bradford either. Dead horse syndrome. If we draft Robinson AND Saffold returns our entire offense is metamorphisized behind an elite OL. If the cards fall right in this draft we are way closer than anyone realizes. Robinson with a tradedown, hit on a safety, linebacker and corner. Rotational dt developpemental guard and we are in business. And hopefully all the while sitting on an extra one next year. Lotta drama for the Rams in this draft. I trust fish and snead to do the right thing. Will be interesting to see how it lines up with my opinions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I hate to be a downer, but one thing I do worry about with him is confidence. Will he be able to stand strong in the pocket and make the throws with his repaired ACL? Unfortunately, I think it's a serious question because he's been beat up his whole career. I worried that he could be damaged goods... 2011 was a terrible year with all the big hits his taken, and sack numbers don't explain the amount of hits he's taken through his career... Too many bad hits imo can really screw with the brain and can lead to being gun shy. I worry about confidence, that's my biggest concern with him. He's a tough QB, but he can only take so many big hits before it gets to him.

Like I always say, the situation he's been put in in STL has been total bad luck. I honestly don't know what to expect, and I think anything could happen to him at this point. I hope he's the guy, I'd be beyond happy as he's been one of my favorite players for a long time. Unfortunately, I think anything is possible with him due to... All the crap he's been through.
Because of a freak injury? There may be some validity concerning his mobility, but damaged goods? Bradford was having one of his better games against Carolina, and the game before that he threw a mere 16 passes. I don't think his head will be the problem.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Re-posting from last week. Sam Bradford was on his way statistically to be a top 5 quarterback this year before he was injured - 4200 yds/34 Tds/10 picks (calculated from him 6.5 games played). Except for year 2 (horrible roster/horrible protection) he has shown major progress each year if not interupted by injury. He may never be a Rogers/Brees/Manning but when making comparisons you must look at age. He is only 26. Give him a run game, protection and a number 1 receiver and we should see Sam performing at a very high level (again barring injury). If he were 29 or not progressing yearly - then it would be time to draft another qb with a high pick but ain't no way we are going to draft anyone and have them as good as Sam for the next 2 - 3 years. Draft wise/be smart with FAs and give him another year. Rams fans deserve a playoff team in the next 2 years and Sam is our best option.

duckhunter

Starter
FWIW, anything is possible.

If the OLine is poor, Sam may not do well. If it sucks, Sam will probably get a pass.

If the OLine plays well and we have a decent running game and a good D, Sam needs to take us to the playoffs. Realistically, Sam will make his own pay day.

The offense needs to score more points (Jeff's words) in the first half and not be playing from behind like happened so often last year. I would think either Schotty or Sam will be held accountable, if that occurs. We have to play the season and find out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Because of a freak injury? There may be some validity concerning his mobility, but damaged goods? Bradford was having one of his better games against Carolina, and the game before that he threw a mere 16 passes. I don't think his head will be the problem.
Nah - I can see it. I don't think that will be the case but I also think that rattling of someone's confidence can be a big issue. I think Sam will get past it if we can do what is needed as a franchise. But I also don't expect him to light it up this next year. I think he will be solid. And if things go like they should, he will just get stronger for several years after that. One of my things is that by solid, I still look at the big picture and see a solid Sam as one of the top QBs in the league. I can't say that about many that get touted as better QBs than what I see in Sam.

RamsFan14

Starter

Yes, damaged goods imo, here's why. Just look at his reaction after the knee injury, how much pain do you think he was in?! Uhhh A LOT, he probably doesn't want to experience anything like that ever again! Now granted it was a freak injury, it was an injury that has a potential to stay in his brain and possibly affect his mental side of the game imo. When he starts playing next year, will he be able to stand in the pocket, withstand pressure defenders will bring, and make the throws instead of protect himself and folding? I feel like you can only withstand so much of a beating until you just want to naturally protect yourself. I think it's a common "syndrome" when you've been beat up your whole career to just fold and take sacks because you want to protect yourself from getting hurt. It doesn't have to be a head injury for him to lose confidence in the pocket, it's just having bad experiences like a torn ACL or just being beat up your whole career like he has.

I'm not saying he won't make it, but he's talked about his confidence before being an issue. I think it's funny that Panthers game they were discussing Bradford's new confidence level with his OL and how he's learning how to trust them, does anyone remember? Well having a huge injury like that could set his mental side back a lil bit imo.

He has all the talent in the world imo to be a great QB, it just... So much BS has gotten in the way, how much more will he be able to cope with before he's ruined is my question? I'm not giving up, idc what some of my friends say, a lot of the issues over the years hasn't been his fault, yet he's the fall guy for them. He's a talented tough football player I have mad respect, I just hope we didn't screw him up. Coordinators, hits he's taken, playmakers (think about it...). The poster above named a ton of the playmakers we had here, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR OTHER TEAMS?!?! NOTHING! We've had 3 coordinators his first 3 years in the league! He's been hit a ton through his career! Now the last two statements I made, the Rams have done a better job of fixing. But we still need legitimate playmakers, hopefully Tavon Austin emerges to be a much better version of Amendola.

I believe in Sam Bradford, but I do have some concerns that I hope are answered early by the team and him. Can this team continue to help him, and can Bradford continue to play head strong? I think it's most defiantly possible, but still an area of concern for me, which I don't blame him honestly...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - I'll address this how I see it and by point because I think you made a lot of points here both valid and not.

IMO - he has top five accuracy. I think if you watch tape of other QBs in the league, you will see that. Maybe you have but maybe then you can allude to the others that are more accurate. I see maybe two or three in that area. Combine the two traits and you'd be hard pressed to find many better in those two categories.

Given the age/health of Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, etc he could be even higher 2 or 3 years from now.

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately he has weaknesses. He has poor pocket presence. By that I mean he doesn't feel where the pass rush is coming from and slide away from it to give himself more room and time. He's was never a scrambling threat even before his 2nd year foot injury.

I think he has really improved on that over the last couple of seasons. I actually used to bring that up during his ROY campaign. But he is definitely getting that feel. I see a major flaw with this thinking in that he has very rarely had a pocket to step up into. When you think slide step or that sort of thing, you are usually talking about a pocket to work within. Bootlegs and roll outs are different and don't necessarily have much to do with pocket awareness. In the occasions where it was not a designed roll out or such, Sam has done a pretty good job when there was anywhere to roll out to. Keep in mind that if a DE has no fear that he is going to lose the QB by him stepping up, it is way easier to keep containment. Sam has actually pretty good speed and if there is an exit lane, he is quite capable of escaping.

He doesn't demonstrate leadership qualities during a game.

I get very tired of this mantra. Watch tape of Sam on the sidelines, in practice, and in the huddle when others are mic'd up. Also, listen to his players when asked that question. Not only do they answer like you'd expect any team mate to answer - they are often taken aback by that question. Even when he was a rookie he would go along his line and receivers and work them up. Because he doesn't throw a tizzy on the field, he is some sort of passive bystander? He never sulks like other QBs do. I find zero merit in this old and tired theme. There are QBs that do more in this area but aside from Manning and at times Brady, are there others you think do it more effectively? I'll go look at any tape available to see it. When I've done it before, it just wasn't there. On this one, I gotta say - back it up. Don't go getting Brett Favre on me. He's not in the picture right now. I'm talking about the 32 starters and who you would see being a better fit as a rookie.

He doesn't have 'pure football' instincts. By that I mean 1) He's likely to throw the ball out-of-bounds on a 4th down desperation play rather than put the ball up for grabs. 2) On 3rd down he won't throw a deep 50-50 ball, (field position permitting), when nothing is open and an incompletion will result in us punting.

Possibly what I find most true in your criticisms. His rookie year, he learned the dink and dunk that was the offensive (in more ways than one) scheme. But is this a chicken and an egg sort of thing? He was criticized for holding the ball too long during his sophomore year. So getting rid of the ball to avoid the sack is then a knock. There's a happy medium - I'll admit. Do you throw the ball up for grabs to bottom of the barrel receivers - or do you not make the big mistake that can cost you the game? Tough choice and in several occasions, I would have wanted him to just huck the damn ball and MAKE the receiver go get it.

I'm happy with him as our starting QB for the foreseeable future based on his 2013 form. However, given that he's injured and knee injuries don't always heal 100%, (or to a predictable timetable), I will be unhappy if we don't make a move for a rookie in the top 4 rounds of the Draft or sign a 'potential' starting QB as a back-up, (Vick, Ponder, etc). I have healthy respect for Clemens but if Bradford were to miss 6 games Clemens is not going to be better than 3-3. It would be asking too much of Bradford to be 7-3 or better in the other 10 games with our roster in our division.

The only thing I would disagree with here (slightly) is that knee injuries of the type that Sam suffered are rarely as severe as they used to be. I think he will be ready as ever to start the season. BUT - I still think it would be unwise to not draft a QB fairly early. At minimum that QB could hold a clipboard until he is either needed or better yet, yields us another top draft pick from a QB needy team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yes, damaged goods imo, here's why. Just look at his reaction after the knee injury, how much pain do you think he was in?! Uhhh A LOT, he probably doesn't want to experience anything like that ever again! Now granted it was a freak injury, it was an injury that has a potential to stay in his brain and possibly affect his mental side of the game imo. When he starts playing next year, will he be able to stand in the pocket, withstand pressure defenders will bring, and make the throws instead of protect himself and folding? I feel like you can only withstand so much of a beating until you just want to naturally protect yourself. I think it's a common "syndrome" when you've been beat up your whole career to just fold and take sacks because you want to protect yourself from getting hurt. It doesn't have to be a head injury for him to lose confidence in the pocket, it's just having bad experiences like a torn ACL or just being beat up your whole career like he has.

I'm not saying he won't make it, but he's talked about his confidence before being an issue. I think it's funny that Panthers game they were discussing Bradford's new confidence level with his OL and how he's learning how to trust them, does anyone remember? Well having a huge injury like that could set his mental side back a lil bit imo.

He has all the talent in the world imo to be a great QB, it just... So much BS has gotten in the way, how much more will he be able to cope with before he's ruined is my question? I'm not giving up, idc what some of my friends say, a lot of the issues over the years hasn't been his fault, yet he's the fall guy for them. He's a talented tough football player I have mad respect, I just hope we didn't screw him up. Coordinators, hits he's taken, playmakers (think about it...). The poster above named a ton of the playmakers we had here, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR OTHER TEAMS?!?! NOTHING! We've had 3 coordinators his first 3 years in the league! He's been hit a ton through his career! Now the last two statements I made, the Rams have done a better job of fixing. But we still need legitimate playmakers, hopefully Tavon Austin emerges to be a much better version of Amendola.

I believe in Sam Bradford, but I do have some concerns that I hope are answered early by the team and him. Can this team continue to help him, and can Bradford continue to play head strong? I think it's most defiantly possible, but still an area of concern for me, which I don't blame him honestly...

Well put.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think he's going to set the NFL on fire this year, and then pull out his enormous hose, and put it out, just to show off:cautious: