My Favorite Intangible; Why We Draft Him about Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's actually the same one I had for Bradford coming out of OU. He's a very humble young man. He's the kind of guy that knows what's important and what's and keeps his nose to the grind stone. It breeds hard work and focus. He's who the Rams need to target in the top ten. I'd be with selecting him straight up but I'm sure we'd be the only one targeting him within the top 4-5. I expect he'll have excellent offseason workouts and will raise eyebrows, though.

The bottom line is drafting Sammy opens up a lot of windows for this offense. With Sammy lined up. For example...

Can you imagine a red zone formation of Cook, Pettis in the slot, Kendricks in-line, and Quick on the outside? That's nasty, boys. All them are big targets that can throw some blocks, go up a get it, and out muscle a defender. We'd have a full arsenal and plenty of depth to boot.

Games are won and lost by the adjustments teams make according to the opposition's strategy. What's really a crap shoot is when a team doesn't have the personelle to stray away from the few things they're good at. Rams were painfully pedestrian in the passing game when we couldn't run the ball. There will be games we can't run the ball even if we do draft Richardson and to stud OG's. That's how good our divisions's defenses are! The only way we can have consistent offensive success is to stretch their defenses... Period. We need Sammy to get special attention on the outside.

It's obvious our most gifted/explosive pass catchers are Cook and Austin. There is a problem, here. They both play in the interior! Teams can condense their zones and muddy the passing game with few negative consequences as a result. Heck they'd be stuffing our running game while they're doing it. Givens is small with suspect hands. He cringes in traffic, too. Quick has a lot of miscues, some ugly drops, and is far from being Vincent Jackson. Bailey actually looked the best out of those 3 down the stretch but I don't want him going up against Sherman or Patterson.

The bottom line is its now or never for the Rams to pick up a WR of his calibre for a while. We won't have this luxury for many years. Guys like Watkins command a ton of money in FA. Getting a stud tackle is much easier than getting a stud WR. Just look what Wallace got and he's not even a complete WR! Larry Fitz is making crazy money and I don't even wanna mention C. Johnson.

For all you OL guys out there, we have OT's in place that can put up top 10 production. We are NOT EVEN CLOSE to that when addressing our WO's. For those that want OG's, Cooper and Warmack play for thec Titans and Cards, there's no one close to them this year, period. The second and middle rounds are where you draft OG's this year. Not to mention a guy like Lewan is a good selection around 13. We can maybe trade back and still get him. Both parties win...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The bottom line is its now or never for the Rams to pick up a WR of his calibre for a while. We won't have this luxury for many years. Guys like Watkins command a ton of money in FA. Getting a stud tackle is much easier than getting a stud WR. Just look what Wallace got and he's not even a complete WR! Larry Fitz is making crazy money and I don't even wanna mention C. Johnson.

I was going to make a post similar to this at some point. We have a RB and QB, solid TEs, but a #1 OUTSIDE WR is the last piece missing from our offensive skills position. After FA (I believe we will sign someone to the line, if not Saffold), we can draft someone like Yankey or Gabe Jackson in the second to solidify our line.

jjab360

Legend
mr.stlouis said:
The bottom line is drafting Sammy opens up a lot of windows for this offense. With Sammy lined up. For example...

Can you imagine a red zone formation of Cook, Pettis in the slot, Kendricks in-line, and Quick on the outside? That's nasty, boys. All them are big targets that can throw some blocks, go up a get it, and out muscle a defender. We'd have a full arsenal and plenty of depth to boot.
And imagine, we can have that exact same lineup... without drafting Sammy Watkins. :eek:

Also, question. Would you take Watkins at the top of the draft over another player if you viewed them as a more talented prospect at their respective position?

I ask because I think some fans get zeroed in on the WR position this time of year because it's considered such a glamour position, even though in reality the guys in the trenches actually have more of an impact on the game which is why you always see them go higher in the draft.

As for Austin being strictly an interior player, I think you're wrong on that front. He got a number of plays at WO last year and was actually a lot more productive at that position than in the slot. I've said it before, but with Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Pettis we don't need a WR like some people think. It's more of a want. And me, I just want the most talented player, and I can't help but notice you never actually said you view Watkins as the most talented player available.

It's actually the same one I had for Bradford coming out of OU. He's a very humble young man. He's the kind of guy that knows what's important and what's and keeps his nose to the grind stone. It breeds hard work and focus. He's who the Rams need to target in the top ten. I'd be with selecting him straight up but I'm sure we'd be the only one targeting him within the top 4-5. I expect he'll have excellent offseason workouts and will raise eyebrows, though.

I don't recall but what happened Sammy's sophomore year? he went from 1,000+ yards receiving his freshman year, to 700 yards his sophomore year, was it an injury?

laramsoriginal

Starter
So op we draft wr, OL, OL

The rams secondary still sucks and lacks depth at DT.

Sorry but bigger holes need to be filled and it can only happen by trading out of that #2 pick. Unless you have an elite defense, you're gonna get your ass kicked in the nfcw

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am torn on the Sammy Watkins issue. I would love to have him become a Ram. He would be great. But if the team has a run first mentality and the Oline continues to require extra TEs to help block then which WR sits? We saw it last year. Tavon was only on the field for 60% of the snaps. There wasn't enough room for the guys they have. Who sits? Bailey or Austin. I don't recall Quick and Pettis playing full time and they would be the guys to replace.

I really think the Rams miss the boat if they don't get a top rated Tackle out of this deal. I could see a trade back, then trade up scenario possibly landing both Tackle and Watkins. Trade #2 back a few and take Watkins and then trade 13 up to take a tackle a spot or two after that. However it could be tough to get a team to trade a pick if it means they pass on Robinson or Matthews. Either way this is best case scenario IMO. Take both....then a guard in rounds 2 or 3.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Sorry but bigger holes need to be filled and it can only happen by trading out of that #2 pick. Unless you have an elite defense, you're gonna get your backside kicked in the nfcw

While I would love to get more defensive holes plugged, I think the offense is the biggest problem and the problems on D were youth and coaching. That side played much better when Fisher started running it. Sure they need another Corner, FS, Lber, and DT but if the sign one of them in free agency it makes a big difference. A guy like Verner or Byrd would solve many of the defenses woes. DT is not as dire a need as the Oline with with 4 out of 5 starters in question.

I think people tend to undervalue Oline play.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If the rams trade down they can nab the best cb in the draft while getting a 2nd rounder. Then trade down again from 13th to acquire another 2nd rounder. Rams will have 2 first round picks and 3 2nd round picks. Use the two first round picks to add talent to the secondary then fill the holes at OG by using two 2nd round picks and use the 3rd 2nd rounder on depth at DT or LB. 3 rd round you can draft DT or RB. I am being very creative but the rams have the real estate luxury lol

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And imagine, we can have that exact same lineup... without drafting Sammy Watkins. :eek:

Also, question. Would you take Watkins at the top of the draft over another player if you viewed them as a more talented prospect at their respective position?

I ask because I think some fans get zeroed in on the WR position this time of year because it's considered such a glamour position, even though in reality the guys in the trenches actually have more of an impact on the game which is why you always see them go higher in the draft.

As for Austin being strictly an interior player, I think you're wrong on that front. He got a number of plays at WO last year and was actually a lot more productive at that position than in the slot. I've said it before, but with Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Pettis we don't need a WR like some people think. It's more of a want. And me, I just want the most talented player, and I can't help but notice you never actually said you view Watkins as the most talented player available.

We need a back up T. Barksdale was developed into a solid starter so why can't we do it again? It all henders on J. Long, of which the Rams have have a strong injury forgiveness policy.

If that was the case I'd pick Clowney over anybody. He's way better than Robinson. Rob is big and has average feet. Matthews is better.

jjab360

Legend
We need a back up T. Barksdale was developed into a solid starter so why can't we do it again? It all henders on J. Long, of which the Rams have have a strong injury forgiveness policy.

If that was the case I'd pick Clowney over anybody. He's way better than Robinson. Rob is big and has average feet. Matthews is better.
I have no problem picking Clowney, I view him as the best talent in the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's obvious our most gifted/explosive pass catchers are Cook and Austin. There is a problem, here. They both play in the interior! Teams can condense their zones and muddy the passing game with few negative consequences as a result.

That's the issue. Austin should NOT be playing inside. If there was anything his rookie year taught me, it was that. He was a much more effective WR when lined up outside and allowed to take the top off defenses...like DeSean Jackson. But he's a more well rounded player than DeSean(well...has the potential to be).

The Rams need to stop using him like Amendola. Let the kid give those big DBs fits with his speed and quickness.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's the issue. Austin should NOT be playing inside. If there was anything his rookie year taught me, it was that. He was a much more effective WR when lined up outside and allowed to take the top off defenses...like DeSean Jackson. But he's a more well rounded player than DeSean(well...has the potential to be).

The Rams need to stop using him like Amendola. Let the kid give those big DBs fits with his speed and quickness.
I think that's a dimension that should be added, but if Chris Givens has taught us anything, teams can prepare for and nullify that aspect of the passing game. If anything, he should be motioned a helluva lot more. Motion him inside, motion him outside from the backfield, motion him into the backfield, etc. Keep that cat moving.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Sorry but bigger holes need to be filled and it can only happen by trading out of that #2 pick. Unless you have an elite defense, you're gonna get your backside kicked in the nfcw
I'm not sure anyone's saying don't trade the pick. The debate simply is what to do with that first pick wherever it is (unless of course we trade SO far down as to make those marquee names non-possibilties. But I'd like to get a potential star out of the draft.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's a dimension that should be added, but if Chris Givens has taught us anything, teams can prepare for and nullify that aspect of the passing game. If anything, he should be motioned a helluva lot more. Motion him inside, motion him outside from the backfield, motion him into the backfield, etc. Keep that cat moving.

Chris Givens gets nullified because he doesn't run good enough routes to separate on other types of routes. Austin is such an effortless cutter that I don't think he'll have the same issues. If teams try to take away the deep ball, hit him on speed outs, drag routes, slants, digs and let him work that run after catch ability in space.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You are right on with this IMO. I thought Tavon was a slot guy but he was much better on the outside where his speed made it tougher for the defense to account for him. One misstep by a DB and it was over. Inside there is too much to wade through to use that speed and there are more bodies around to get a hand on him or slow him down. I see exactly what you were saying earlier this year in thinking a Guy like Evans would be a better compliment and more of what the Rans need. I will be interested to see what his 40 time is and how he looks at the combine compared to others.

The thing about Watkins is you can't go wrong even if he is not the perfect receiver to fill a remaining niche.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Chris Givens gets nullified because he doesn't run good enough routes to separate on other types of routes. Austin is such an effortless cutter that I don't think he'll have the same issues. If teams try to take away the deep ball, hit him on speed outs, drag routes, slants, digs and let him work that run after catch ability in space.
Well, my point really wasn't about Givens in as much as it was about Tavon's repertoire being expanded. You like him on the outside, and so do I, but I don't think that should be his primary spot. His stature, as it were, makes it a bit more difficult for the QB to have success on deep balls, and the average completion percentage, league-wide, isn't that high to begin with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, my point really wasn't about Givens in as much as it was about Tavon's repertoire being expanded. You like him on the outside, and so do I, but I don't think that should be his primary spot. His stature, as it were, makes it a bit more difficult for the QB to have success on deep balls, and the average completion percentage, league-wide, isn't that high to begin with.

Yea but the thing about deep balls is that his stature hurts him less than it does in congested areas. You can let him run down a deep ball and if Sam throws it accurately, Austin will go get it.

In the slot, it's a lot more difficult to isolate him and get him in space.

Even if you don't throw him the deep ball outside, he still has more space to work with and often will be more isolated. A simple curl route or a speed out can result in a big play because of Austin's ability to cut on a dime and eliminate angles.

I think he's a more dangerous player on the outside for us and it gives us better match-ups. Because if Stacy is running the ball well, they're going to have a hard time sticking that safety over the top.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea but the thing about deep balls is that his stature hurts him less than it does in congested areas. You can let him run down a deep ball and if Sam throws it accurately, Austin will go get it.

In the slot, it's a lot more difficult to isolate him and get him in space.

Even if you don't throw him the deep ball outside, he still has more space to work with and often will be more isolated. A simple curl route or a speed out can result in a big play because of Austin's ability to cut on a dime and eliminate angles.

I think he's a more dangerous player on the outside for us and it gives us better match-ups. Because if Stacy is running the ball well, they're going to have a hard time sticking that safety over the top.
I get what you're saying (even though there are a lot of suppositions), and I agree with the premise, but are you saying the X or Z (preferably Z) is the only position Tavon should play? If so, I heartily disagree. If not, then I think we're on the same page.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying (even though there are a lot of suppositions), and I agree with the premise, but are you saying the X or Z (preferably Z) is the only position Tavon should play? If so, I heartily disagree. If not, then I think we're on the same page.

I'm saying he should see the majority of his snaps outside. Only is too rigid. There are certainly situations where he'd slide inside in order to get the best four or five options on the field but typically, I'd have him outside in 2 and 3 WR sets.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm saying he should see the majority of his snaps outside. Only is too rigid. There are certainly situations where he'd slide inside in order to get the best four or five options on the field but typically, I'd have him outside in 2 and 3 WR sets.
If it was Patterson we were talking about, I'd agree. But not Tavon. I have a great many thoughts on this subject, but I'm going to have to pick this up with you later. I screwed my back up yesterday and can only sit upright a little at a time right now. So I'm gonna get back to you with my thoughts on how his versatility would be limited with what you're proposing. Although, if we were running a standard I-formation - 2WR/1TE set, I wouldn't have a problem with Tavon being one of the two wideouts a lot of the time. Because the other options (Givens, Pettis, Quick) don't do it for me right now at X or Z if it means Tavon stays on the sidelines.