My draft opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Some people here question Clowney's work ethic and drive and think that he'll be a bust.
Others seem to think that he's Hercules come to life and that he'll end up with a bust in Canton.

If the Rams stay at 2 and draft him there's nothing we can do but hope for the best.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well it's that time of the night but I'll do my best. :LOL:

"Yes but was lesser with other prospects." Who are the other prospects you mentioned? I assumed you were talking in general and mentioned Curry as an example of "other prospects". One man's garbage is another man's fertilizer.

That was too bad the Seahags wasted their 1st rounder wasn't it. :ROFLMAO:

Obviously you have already partaken. o_O

By other prospects I meant the likes of Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz, AJ, Julio, etc.

Um.... I never mentioned Curry until after you did and it had nothing to do with the discussion.

Now stop Bogarting.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My personal preference is a trade down but if we stay at #2, imo, we can't pass on that sort of talent.

I agree, trade down is the best way to go.

Passing on talent? Ehh...he's good, but I ain't worried about the Rams "passing" on him for someone else.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, trade down is the best way to go.

Passing on talent? Ehh...he's good, but I ain't worried about the Rams "passing" on him for someone else.

If our FO thinks he's gonna be a Robert Quinn type impact player I want him!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does that make it any less effective?

As for your point, I already agreed that Watkins character concerns should receive a little more scrutiny. Possibly Clowney's should receive a little less but it's that time of year where all things get magnified to provide the talking heads with material to talk about. Having said that, I totally disagree with your contention that Watkins foibles are in the same ballpark as those of Clowney. I'm talking from a performance standpoint here. Watkins less than fantastic stats in the middle of his college career can easily be explained away in terms that don't involve questions about his abilities on the field. Clowney's lack of production can't be explained away so easily and the comments from his coach are only a tiny molehill the equation. That's the problem. His lack of production last year brings into question just how good is he. Those questions don't exist when talking about Watkins.

Can't be explained away as easy?

Watkins's explanation -> Injuries and Suspension

Well, Clowney was injured the entire year and saw significant attention from the offense.

So I don't think that's true either. If you're going to use injuries to explain away Watkins's poor year, you can do the same with Clowney.

I don't either. Just like Vermiel didn't let Kevin Carter loaf (Same work ethic rep coming out).

Unless Spurrier changed, that just doesn't sound like what he had in South Carolina.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ulture-contributed-steve-spurrier-failure-nfl

He hasn't changed.

If you switch Watkins' sophomore and junior years, he'd be getting the same treatment as Marqise Lee or worse right now.

True. Although Lee has earned some of it imo.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
With Saffold as good as gone, and Long an impending injury waiting to happen, why are we even entertaining thoughts of drafting Clowney?

I guess we can try to win games by the score of 2-0.

Jake Long is not the Long term answer at LT. They have a golden opportunity to get one now. Just do it.

lockdnram21

Legend
With Saffold as good as gone, and Long an impending injury waiting to happen, why are we even entertaining thoughts of drafting Clowney?

Jake Long is not the Long term answer at LT. They have a golden opportunity to get one now. Just do it.

if im not mistaken we found Saffold in the 2nd round. Sign a G like Schwart. then draft Martin or Mosesse with a trade back from 13 pick. Then grab a G in the 2nd or 3rd

laramsoriginal

Starter
CB: who will be the nickel back?
OG/OG: two starting OG's needed
S: Easily the weakest link on the defense

So why are talking about drafting a DE with a top 10 pick?

iced

Dude makes 15 starts, tears his ACL at the last home game of the season, played at a Top 5 Level, is still relatively young (28) - and he's not the long term answer?

I think it's funny how people act like Jake Long only played 2 or 3 games last season or was constantly injured like a Rodger Saffold - he wasn't... Don't recall him ever being questionable for any games either.

LT's don't have short careers like RB's either - in fact, outside kicker/punter, this is one of those positions that where guys still play well 30+

Alan

Legend
iced living in a dream world:
Dude makes 15 starts, tears his ACL at the last home game of the season, played at a Top 5 Level, is still relatively young (28) - and he's not the long term answer?

I think it's funny how people act like Jake Long only played 2 or 3 games last season or was constantly injured like a Rodger Saffold - he wasn't... Don't recall him ever being questionable for any games either.

LT's don't have short careers like RB's either - in fact, outside kicker/punter, this is one of those positions that where guys still play well 30+
Good morning my Ram friend! :coffee:
No matter how you slice it iced, Long has an injury history that can't be ignored. It's why we got him cheap. Doesn't really matter how good he is if he's not on the field. I expect him to miss some games this year before he even gets on the field. When was the last time he played 16 games?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I think a lot of us are afraid of the o line injury history! We get a good line going and then they start getting injured and the continuity is screwed up! JMO!

iced

No matter how you slice it iced, Long has an injury history that can't be ignored. It's why we got him cheap. Doesn't really matter how good he is if he's not on the field. I expect him to miss some games this year before he even gets on the field. When was the last time he played 16 games?

Jake Long is not cheap lol... and I wouldn't write him off or immediately expect him to miss some time, especially with how Jeff Fisher manages his veteran players. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that had an impact on "how healthy" a player is.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:
Can't be explained away as easy?

Watkins's explanation -> Injuries and Suspension

Well, Clowney was injured the entire year and saw significant attention from the offense.

So I don't think that's true either. If you're going to use injuries to explain away Watkins's poor year, you can do the same with Clowney.
First of all, Watkins didn't have a poor year at all and I wasn't just using injuries. The suspension cost him two games. When you subtract 3 games, 2 of them for suspension, that's a 30% loss in playing time. Take his game averages X3 and add them to his total. What was the statistical drop off in Clowney's game? Now that's a "poor" season statistically speaking. I know you've looked at his play and think he played much better than his stats. If you say so I believe it my friend. But riddle me this Batman, did you do the same thing with Watkins? Did he play better than his stats would indicate?

The bottom line here is that Watkins had a stellar college career and Clowney had 1 good year. Statistically speaking. The rest is subjective.

That doesn't address his character concerns but we aren't talking about that here.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I also don't want the Rams to draft Clowney. He might, emphasize might, be the best player in this draft. However, we already got a stud RDE who's young and one of the best players in the NFL right now. Clowney's ceiling is what Quinn is now. Why the heck would we want to hope someone becomes as good as a player who's young and we have under contract? Furthermore, scouts question his passion for the game. Why take a chance?

In addition to all of that, there is another freak talent, Robinson, who fills a huge position of need, and has All-Pro type talent. Why not take him? There's also Matthews who's also an elite talent and can come in right away and help this team.

I do trust Fisher and Snead. They have connections to both Auburn and Matthews (through his father). If they draft one of them it's because they did their homework. If they draft Clowney I will trust their judgment. I think with leaders like Long and Quinn along with Wauffle they will get the most out of Clowney that anyone might. That being said, I'd much rather get one of the top OT

Alan

Legend
iced forgetting the thread devoted to this:
Jake Long is not cheap lol... and I wouldn't write him off or immediately expect him to miss some time, especially with how Jeff Fisher manages his veteran players. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that had an impact on "how healthy" a player is.
We had this discussion before and yes, we got Long on the cheap. $8 million/year is incredibly cheap for a three time PB LT. One need merely look up the average salary for LTs to see that is true. I and others already did that so you can take my word for it or you can do the research again yourself.

What have you been saying about re-signing Saffold? Long has a worse injury history than he does. Even if Long somehow makes it on the field to start the year, what gives you any confidence that this year will be any better than his last 3-4 years? One or multiple injuries every single year and you expect that to change because he's only 28? I hope your right but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This whole argument is bordering on the drafting a QB in the first round posts.

Here's what the Rams AREN'T doing with their first pick...
They aren't taking a QB, a WR, a LB, or Clowney. And none of the CBs are top 5 talents. And there isn't a Earl Thomas in this draft. So they aren't taking those positions with their first pick either.

So, we can all discuss which OT they are taking.

Dan Shonka loves Matthews, so do many others. Then there's the Robinson camp. Lewan is rated either 2nd or 3rd best. Place your bets.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This whole argument is bordering on the drafting a QB in the first round posts.

Here's what the Rams AREN'T doing with their first pick...
They aren't taking a QB, a WR, a LB, or Clowney. And none of the CBs are top 5 talents. And there isn't a Earl Thomas in this draft. So they aren't taking those positions with their first pick either.

So, we can all discuss which OT they are taking.

Dan Shonka loves Matthews, so do many others. Then there's the Robinson camp. Lewan is rated either 2nd or 3rd best. Place your bets.

This is merely your opinion... to me, watkins and clowney are still in play

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is merely your opinion... to me, watkins and clowney are still in play

Well, all I can say is that I hope all the other NFL teams are thinking the Rams may take Watkins or Clowney too.

Ain't gonna happen though.

iced

Well, all I can say is that I hope all the other NFL teams are thinking the Rams may take Watkins or Clowney too.

Ain't gonna happen though.

lmao.

You sincerely think Clowney is out of it? Come on man - I don't think he's the pick but I'm not going to flat out say there's no way, especially with Fisher's love for Defensive line in the first round.. Every pick in the first round that we've had with fisher had atleast 1 defensive end/pass rusher in play for plan b.

We'll start getting a better idea in a few days depending on what goes on in free agency - lots of stuff is going on right now. Gotta wait for alot of the moving pieces to settle in first