My draft opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I haven't been in the draft talks as I've been in the past, b/c for two reasons: It starts to damn early (December...really?) and second is it gets overanalyzed to death because of that, which gets really annoying.

But like assholes, everyone has an opinion about who they want their team to draft, and I'm not different. So here is my very first 2014 draft opinion. Note, this ain't no mock. Oh and not taking into account trading.

The first round: There only one player that I least want to see draft by teh Rams, and that is Jadeveon Clowney. I think he is overrated because of one hit and he seemed to try TOO hard at the combine. Everyone knows about his athleticism, he didn't need to make a big and public deal out of it. If he goes to another team and gets 15+ sacks his rookie year, so be it. I'm more than happy with our DE group of Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims (all under contract or will be for the long term). :lifting::lifting::lifting:

As for the other 4 guys, all of them seem to be amazing players. I really don't mind, but my preference is either Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews. Reason is these guys have been consistently good with no major issues throughout their college days and the pre draft stuff. You can't go wrong here. Greg Robinson has only recently been a big name, and I think he might be a mid 1st rounder than a top 5 pick.

Speaking of the OTs, if they go with any of these guys, please play them at tackle from the start. I don't want to see a highly regarded tackle having to play a temp guard spot (which can be gotten via cheap FA or later round). Plus, there's already Harvey Dahl, who hasn't been cut yet even tho everyone seems to think he will.

As for the 13th pick, haven't really gien it much thought. But one guy I want is Anthony Barr, and use him in a Von Miller roll. If that can't happen (I bet he goes top 10), one of the CBs is the next choice. Having Darqueze Dannard/Justin Gilbert with the CBs already here will make this group be much better w/ depth.

2nd and 3rd, I want to see a safety and LG drafted, in that order. The thing with guards is when you got a decent one, you can't tell much difference b/w the decent guy and the superstar, that's why I hope they wait until 3rd, or even the 4th.

Other positions I want to see drafted are QB, RB, and more DBs.

I haven't been in the draft talks as I've been in the past, b/c for two reasons: It starts to damn early (December...really?) and second is it gets overanalyzed to death because of that, which gets really annoying.

But like assholes, everyone has an opinion about who they want their team to draft, and I'm not different. So here is my very first 2014 draft opinion. Note, this ain't no mock. Oh and not taking into account trading.

The first round: There only one player that I least want to see draft by teh Rams, and that is Jadeveon Clowney. I think he is overrated because of one hit and he seemed to try TOO hard at the combine. Everyone knows about his athleticism, he didn't need to make a big and public deal out of it. If he goes to another team and gets 15+ sacks his rookie year, so be it. I'm more than happy with our DE group of Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims (all under contract or will be for the long term). :lifting::lifting::lifting:

As for the other 4 guys, all of them seem to be amazing players. I really don't mind, but my preference is either Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews. Reason is these guys have been consistently good with no major issues throughout their college days and the pre draft stuff. You can't go wrong here. Greg Robinson has only recently been a big name, and I think he might be a mid 1st rounder than a top 5 pick.

I've asked this question before and got no answer, what happened with Watkins sophomore year, his receiving stats:
1,219 yards 708 yards 1,464 yards.
What caused the dip?

Speaking of the OTs, if they go with any of these guys, please play them at tackle from the start. I don't want to see a highly regarded tackle having to play a temp guard spot (which can be gotten via cheap FA or later round). Plus, there's already Harvey Dahl, who hasn't been cut yet even tho everyone seems to think he will.

Just to clarify, a temp guard, or starter can be found later, Pro Bowl guards over the last 5 years have been drafted higher (32nd on average) than the most productive WRs (44th on average). If you can believe that Matthews/Robinson can be an elite guard take them and hope that you get to play them at OG for the next 3 years because it means Long is healthy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I've asked this question before and got no answer, what happened with Watkins sophomore year, his receiving stats:
1,219 yards 708 yards 1,464 yards.
What caused the dip?

Found an article online that sheds some light on it:http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/21/clemson-sammy-watkins-something-to-prove/

Watkins was arrested on drug-related charges in May 2012 and was subsequently suspended for the Tigers’ first two games. He then missed another game at Boston College with a stomach virus, and he played just one series in the Chick-fil-A Bowl against LSU before leaving with an ankle injury. All things considered, it added up to a subpar sophomore effort.

In Watkins’ relative (and literal) absence, fellow wideout DeAndre Hopkins picked up the slack with 82 catches for 1,405 yards. Running back Andre Ellington also provided a major spark with 1,491 rushing yards. Watkins, tabbed as a headliner during the preseason, was relegated to a complimentary offensive role.

Found an article online that sheds some light on it:http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/21/clemson-sammy-watkins-something-to-prove/

Watkins was arrested on drug-related charges in May 2012 and was subsequently suspended for the Tigers’ first two games. He then missed another game at Boston College with a stomach virus, and he played just one series in the Chick-fil-A Bowl against LSU before leaving with an ankle injury. All things considered, it added up to a subpar sophomore effort.

In Watkins’ relative (and literal) absence, fellow wideout DeAndre Hopkins picked up the slack with 82 catches for 1,405 yards. Running back Andre Ellington also provided a major spark with 1,491 rushing yards. Watkins, tabbed as a headliner during the preseason, was relegated to a complimentary offensive role.

Thanks for the info, so drugs and injuries, not that big a deal I suppose, sure the drugs hurts your team for 4 games if you do it in the NFL, but no one's that stupid.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There is a decent chance that the one guy you really don't want to see the Rams take becomes the best defensive player in the NFL. Trying too hard at the combine? You would have felt better about him if he just ran through the motions?

I know it is kind of vogue to want to knock Clowney, but there is a reason that opposing offenses paid him so much attention. He is a rare specimen. Don't be disappointed if we take him, be thrilled.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Which is why it's kind of funny to me. Lets flip the script, lets say Clowney had his "down" year as a sophomore and his dominant year as a junior.(flip his sophomore and junior years) Whereas Watkins has his dominant year as a sophomore and his subpar year as a junior(flip his sophomore and junior years), do you think that Watkins would be getting the same treatment as Clowney?

IMO, yes. Clowney didn't even get arrested and suspended. So it's weird to me how people never question Watkins's character but believe Clowney will be some mega bust. Like I said earlier, I think if you flipped the script, people would be saying the same thing about Watkins while not questioning Clowney's character. Victims of the moment.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a decent chance that the one guy you really don't want to see the Rams take becomes the best defensive player in the NFL. Trying too hard at the combine? You would have felt better about him if he just ran through the motions?

I know it is kind of vogue to want to knock Clowney, but there is a reason that opposing offenses paid him so much attention. He is a rare specimen. Don't be disappointed if we take him, be thrilled.

Well my mantra is one player doesn't solve everything. I get I said he tried TOO hard at the combine, but I was implying that he was determined to be the best combine guy, which of course is admirable but combine performances never tell the whole story. I won't be butthurt if he gets taken, I'll take a wait and see approach. Best D player in history? There seems to be one of those every draft.

Which is why it's kind of funny to me. Lets flip the script, lets say Clowney had his "down" year as a sophomore and his dominant year as a junior.(flip his sophomore and junior years) Whereas Watkins has his dominant year as a sophomore and his subpar year as a junior(flip his sophomore and junior years), do you think that Watkins would be getting the same treatment as Clowney?

IMO, yes. Clowney didn't even get arrested and suspended. So it's weird to me how people never question Watkins's character but believe Clowney will be some mega bust. Like I said earlier, I think if you flipped the script, people would be saying the same thing about Watkins while not questioning Clowney's character. Victims of the moment.

The issue isn't talent nor the off field stuff. It's on field. If Jadeveon Clowney went balls to the wall like sophmore year, then none of this talk would have happened. But he didn't, and that's the big issue. From all accounts I think he's a very good guy, it's the effort issue. That's it.

Whereas Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews have had great production through their entire college careers. And 704 yards in 9 games isn't bad at all, and rebounding last year shows he's much better than that.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks for the info, so drugs and injuries, not that big a deal I suppose, sure the drugs hurts your team for 4 games if you do it in the NFL, but no one's that stupid.
The 2 biggest concerns a coach and GM can have about a prospect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The issue isn't talent nor the off field stuff. It's on field. If Jadeveon Clowney went balls to the wall like sophmore year, then none of this talk would have happened. But he didn't, and that's the big issue. From all accounts I think he's a very good guy, it's the effort issue. That's it.

Whereas Sammy Watkins and Jake Matthews have had great production through their entire college careers. And 704 yards in 9 games isn't bad at all, and rebounding last year shows he's much better than that.

It's such a convoluted logic imo. Watkins did not have great production throughout.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's such a convoluted logic imo. Watkins did not have great production throughout.

Uh- I guess you could say 2012 was "off" if you want but his three years at Clemson were all very good.

700 yards was his "off year". I'll take that every day and on Ram Sundays.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512839/sammy-Watkins

I'm in no way saying what Clowney will or won't be. I don't know. Neither do you.

But I think you can admit the main concern for most regarding Clowney is his actual work ethic and desire to be great every game, every play.

Nobody has that same concern with Watkins.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 forgetting the reasons for Clowney's character concerns:

I agree with your unhappiness with the double standard but the situations can't be flipped. At least in Clowney's case. If Clowney had his "down" year as a sophomore and his dominant year as a junior then no one would be questioning his work ethic. In fact, they would probably be saying things like "I questioned his work ethic as a sophomore but the light came on for this guy and he's good to go now."

I do see what your saying about the lack of concern/talk about Watkin's character concerns. It might be because his personal interviews and the interviews with his college coaches point to him having seen the light and become more mature. His coach didn't throw him under the bus like Clowney's did. The more distant in time the transgression is the less it impacts on everyone's perception of your character now.

Angry Ram

Oh I think have 2 1000+ yards seasons, and a 700 yard season missing 3 games and 27 TDs qualifies.

I get you are a big JC advocate, and I never deny his talent. So far, tho it seems he goes only when he really sets his mind to it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I think have 2 1000+ yards seasons, and a 700 yard season missing 3 games and 27 TDs qualifies.

I get you are a big JC advocate, and I never deny his talent. So far, tho it seems he goes only when he really sets his mind to it.

Is that any worse than a guy who can't go because of drugs? And yet how often is Watkins criticized for his drug suspension and arrest?

I agree with your unhappiness with the double standard but the situations can't be flipped. At least in Clowney's case. If Clowney had his "down" year as a sophomore and his dominant year as a junior then no one would be questioning his work ethic. In fact, they would probably be saying things like "I questioned his work ethic as a sophomore but the light came on for this guy and he's good to go now."

I do see what your saying about the lack of concern/talk about Watkin's character concerns. It might be because his personal interviews and the interviews with his college coaches point to him having seen the light and become more mature. His coach didn't throw him under the bus like Clowney's did. The more distant in time the transgression is the less it impacts on everyone's perception of your character now.

And that's really something that's misrepresented. People assume that because 95% of coaches talk in circles and say nothing but platitudes(coach talk) that if a coach says something negative, it must mean more than it does. But that's just Spurrier.

The guy has ripped his own starting QBs a new arsehole. He's ripped his own OL and OL Coach. He's ripped his offense. That's who he is. He's blunt and a little too candid to the media.

And Spurrier really didn't say anything bad. So yea, I think that's making a mountain out of a molehill.

My point, though, isn't so much that it can be flipped...only that Sammy Watkins has warts on his character that people are all too eager to overlook. And I like Watkins. I just think the people are giving Clowney way too much grief.

Uh- I guess you could say 2012 was "off" if you want but his three years at Clemson were all very good.

700 yards was his "off year". I'll take that every day and on Ram Sundays.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512839/sammy-Watkins

I'm in no way saying what Clowney will or won't be. I don't know. Neither do you.

But I think you can admit the main concern for most regarding Clowney is his actual work ethic and desire to be great every game, every play.

Nobody has that same concern with Watkins.

I wouldn't. Watkins put up Brandon Gibson type numbers on a team that produced 4000+ yards and 40 TDs through the air.

The only year I'd consider that acceptable is his rookie year but many of you wouldn't, imo. Because it seems to me the motivation for drafting him is this idea that he's a #1 WR that we need in 2014.

People not having that concern and that concern being there are two different things. Doesn't even have to be effort. Anyone have concerns that Watkins will have drug problems in the league?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I am way less concerned about Watkins than I am about Clowney. And if you watch complete games of both it's not that easy to see why.
Yeah, Clowney can look down right unstoppable at times. And then I see plays where he barely tries.

Maybe that changes in the NFL. But once he's making millions it's hard to reason as to why it would.
Only time will tell. Reality is we all have our own opinion and until we see them play it probably isn't going to change.

Brandon Gibson numbers? I think that's a stretch Jerry. I don't think Brandon Gibson ever had 1200 yard,12 TD years in college. Certainly not in the pros.

fearsomefour

Legend
I could see a situation where Barr falls to 13, but it is unlikely. If he is there he would be a day 1 starter even if Dunbar is resigned. A LB corp of Ogletree/JL/Barr matched up with our DEs could really create plays.
I am hoping either Barr or Donald falls to 13. I would take either one over any of the S in the draft.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So Watkins' drug bust being for performance enhancing drugs doesn't bother anyone yet an off-hand remark by Spurrier does?

"He was OK," Spurrier said on NFL Network, the implication being that Clowney didn't exactly wear out the alarm clock or tax the hinges on the weight-room door. "It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different. His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, a Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has."

Angry Ram

@jrry32 I am not mentioning anything about off field stuff or drug issues. Those things have NOTHING to do RE my opinions on JC.

I'm not for or against the drafting JC or Sammy Watkins, jus that JC is the guy I least like to see b/c like I said in my OP:

1. One hit has propelled him to some superstar status, when in reality he can be game planned for and made into a non factor.

2. He seems to go only when he wants he puts his mind to it, like the combine. Sure, it's admirable he was determined to put on the best ever, but will he do that for 16 or more games? IDK. That's just a risk IMO.

3. The Rams don't need a DE. They have a superstar, an all-pro, and 2 above average backups, all under contract and in the case of Robert Quinn will be for the long term.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't get where the "one hit" comment keeps coming from Angry. Care to explain?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not for or against the drafting JC or Sammy Watkins, jus that JC is the guy I least like to see b/c like I said in my OP:

1. One hit has propelled him to some superstar status, when in reality he can be game planned for and made into a non factor.

One hit? It wasn't the 33.5 TFLs, 21 sacks and 8 FFs over the 24 preceding games? It wasn't his freakish athleticism and previous strong performances against OTs like Cordy Glenn and Brandon Thomas? Come on now. This is what gets me with Clowney, it's the complete hyperbole when it comes to marginalizing his talent and accomplishments.

What player can't be game-planned for and made into a non-factor? The thing about the NFL is when you have enough talent, by throwing all that attention his way to make him a non-factor, it makes other players much bigger factors.

2. He seems to go only when he wants he puts his mind to it, like the combine. Sure, it's admirable he was determined to put on the best ever, but will he do that for 16 or more games? IDK. That's just a risk IMO.

And that's a fair question to ask. Personally, I think those concerns are overblown. I saw Julius Peppers develop into one of the NFL's best DEs of the last decade despite having the same issue. But I understand why that would concern people. It just doesn't bother me as much.

3. The Rams don't need a DE. They have a superstar, an all-pro, and 2 above average backups, all under contract and in the case of Robert Quinn will be for the long term.

So what? Lions had two 1000+ yard WRs the year prior to drafting Megatron. The Vikings had a HB that rushed for 1200+ yards the year prior to drafting Peterson. Rare talent is rare talent. Chris Long and William Hayes should not keep us from drafting Clowney. As much as I like both of them.

Last edited: