LEGEND My Dog ROCKS!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
About a 2% solution should work. I add to the dogs shampoo. I don't believe it kills fleas. But they don't like it at all. With a short haired breed like a beagle you should be able to see the fleas jumping off. I am not a vet so if your dog has any reaction stop. But I have used it for years and yes I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Also washing with Conditioner and not shampoo will help - shampoo is not good for your doggie
but the 2% Tea Tree or even better Neem (more garlicy smell but more affective) in the conditioner is a good way to cut down on fleas naturally

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

iced

Also washing with Conditioner and not shampoo will help - shampoo is not good for your doggie
but the 2% Tea Tree or even better Neem (more garlicy smell but more affective) in the conditioner is a good way to cut down on fleas naturally

Mane 'n tail for the dogs, medicine for heartworm/fleas is separate.. never been a fan of those shampoos (nor have my dogs), but man does their coat come out clean and shiny after mane 'n tail..

thats why he breaks out into the ditch and goes off occasionally - he just really wants a bath!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Mane 'n tail for the dogs, medicine for heartworm/fleas is separate.. never been a fan of those shampoos (nor have my dogs), but man does their coat come out clean and shiny after mane 'n tail..

thats why he breaks out into the ditch and goes off occasionally - he just really wants a bath!

Neem oil with conditioner can help control fleas natural if a dog is sensitive to flea and tick medication, while at the same time keeping the natural oils in your hound's coat from being stripped away.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028983_neem_oil_ticks.html

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't go wrong with a Lab mix, particularly Lab/pit - extremely sweet and loyal dogs.
My next one is going to be a Retriever or a Retriever mix...
back to this guy - will literally lay anywhere
981732_10201499980331550_248474745_o.jpg

up on bar stools...
generally the view i wake up to
One from a few minutes ago. Notice how jacked up his neck is while he uses the printer rack for a pillow. Mind you, he has a temperpedic dog bed not 10 feet from this spot.
Sam-uncomfortable.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Got my beagle out of the dog hospital this morning after two days in there. He's had back problems since he was a pup but now the x-rays show a herniated disc. He's always run like a maniac and jumped off and on the furniture. So now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Ordered a back brace about an hour ago but will have to carry him everywhere for the time being. He's on non-steroidal meds and pain killers. He's also going through cold laser treatment.

It's really sad because unless the nerves regenerate, or unless he has an operation, his running/walking days may be over. We walk two miles a day at a minimum 365 days a year. Flash is only 8 so there's no thought of having him put down but his fun days might be over unless there's a vast improvement. Anyone else ever go through this with your dogs?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Got my beagle out of the dog hospital this morning after two days in there. He's had back problems since he was a pup but now the x-rays show a herniated disc. He's always run like a maniac and jumped off and on the furniture. So now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Ordered a back brace about an hour ago but will have to carry him everywhere for the time being. He's on non-steroidal meds and pain killers. He's also going through cold laser treatment.

It's really sad because unless the nerves regenerate, or unless he has an operation, his running/walking days may be over. We walk two miles a day at a minimum 365 days a year. Flash is only 8 so there's no thought of having him put down but his fun days might be over unless there's a vast improvement. Anyone else ever go through this with your dogs?
Man... sorry to see this Prime. Hope all goes well of course.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Well not exactly , although we've definitely have had to experience our dogs slowing down quite a bit , but knock on wood because we have always had German Shepherds , and one thing you always worry about with German Shepherds is hip dysplasia which can happen in German Shepherds , but so far we've been lucky , we've never had to deal with a crippling condition , but we've sure seen our dogs running and jumping days become shorter and shorter

One thing I know that has helped ours has been adding those hip and joint supplements , not sure how much they would help with a herniated disc though

Our last dog was a 120 lbs German Shepherd named Ben, he lived to be almost 13 years old , which is pretty old for a German Shepherd , and for the most part was pretty healthy , and could get around pretty good , although you could tell he would get kinda stiff at times , but doesn't everyone after they put on a few years

Then one night , just out of the blue , he threw up , at first , I didn't think a whole lot about it, just figured he ate some grass or something , he had thrown up before , but it was pretty rare when he did , then about a hour later he threw up again , and now the second time , was when the wife and I started to get pretty worried , and you could now tell something was wrong , we watched him through the night , he got to where he couldn't even keep water down , so off to the vets we went ,

As it turned out , Ben had developed Bloat and his stomach had twisted , the Vet said they could operate , but at his age , there was a decent chance he wouldn't survive , and even if he did survive , there has a better then 50/50 change , that it would just happen again

I remember the whole thing was just so surreal , 24 hours before he was just a happy healthy senior adult dog , and then there we were , having to make that difficult decision

That was 6 years ago now , but when I still think back to that day , it's still just a blur

But sorry , I don't really have any advice , watching our dogs struggle and not really being to do a whole lot about it is tough , but we usually figure out new ideas to help, and both us and our pets adapt

good luck

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My father was a beagler. He loved to hunt rabbits and raised beagles for years. There are different types. He preferred low and slow. The smaller beagle that tracks slow. He could have ten to twenty at any given time. Toward the end of my fathers life he didn't even take a gun on hunts. Said he just loved to hear the music.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have had two German Shepherds. The first was everything you would want. Where ever we took him he turned heads. He had a real wow factor. He lived a long and happy life as part of our family. The second was a different story. We bought him from what we thought was a sound breeder. It wasn't so. Not long after making him part of the family we noticed problems. We took him to our vet (an old time country large animal vet) After poking and prodding and many tests. Our vet told us that he had never seen one animal with so many medical problems. And he felt at some point the breeder had abused the dog. This made my blood boil. And he said any one of the problems alone would not be so bad but the combination, many genetic meant the dog would have a short and difficult life. His advise put the animal down. My wife would not hear of it. We took him home and made his life as good as we could. He was smart as hell and must have known because he became my wife's constant companion and protector. We had four years with him until he passed about six months ago. It was tough for me but really tore the wife up even with knowing it was coming.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Man - very sorry to hear that. Bright side - if you're carrying him around, you're getting lots of licks.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Have had two German Shepherds. The first was everything you would want. Where ever we took him he turned heads. He had a real wow factor. He lived a long and happy life as part of our family. The second was a different story. We bought him from what we thought was a sound breeder. It wasn't so. Not long after making him part of the family we noticed problems. We took him to our vet (an old time country large animal vet) After poking and prodding and many tests. Our vet told us that he had never seen one animal with so many medical problems. And he felt at some point the breeder had abused the dog. This made my blood boil. And he said any one of the problems alone would not be so bad but the combination, many genetic meant the dog would have a short and difficult life. His advise put the animal down. My wife would not hear of it. We took him home and made his life as good as we could. He was smart as hell and must have known because he became my wife's constant companion and protector. We had four years with him until he passed about six months ago. It was tough for me but really tore the wife up even with knowing it was coming.

Know exactly what you mean.

We started watching John Wick last night, and (as the movie reviewer in the family), I knew what it was about. When it was starting, and he's playing with the pup, I told her 'the dog doesn't make it, do you still want to watch it'.
She said 'No, this is the first day in the last month I haven't cried thinking about Rox'.
It's gonna' be awhile for her. Dogs have one master, and she was it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Man - very sorry to hear that. Bright side - if you're carrying him around, you're getting lots of licks.

So true. I ordered him a back brace from WiggleLess.com that still hasn't arrived. He sleeps a lot due to the meds, which is good for both of us. I carry him outside every few hours and he can walk a few steps before his back legs begin to quiver. But his tail is wagging which I've been told is a good sign.

Dogs have one master, and she was it.

Yup. The last one was devoted to my wife but this one is all mine. It's strange how dogs pick one and then everyone else in the family is secondary at best.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
PT - how's Flash doing?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PT - how's Flash doing?

Thanks for asking. Yesterday and today have been bad. He was walking better and I got the back brace but then he stopped eating and is limping again.

Yesterday I took him out to his favorite walking place by a lake and just sat there with him for an hour watching the ducks. Went to the vets and picked up more meds for him as well.

Today when I tried to feed him he hid under the bed. I had to trick him by knocking on the door to get him to come out so I could get his meds into him.

The last dog needed meds every day due to seizures and I was his nurse for almost 15 years. Now this. It's sad and exasperating but it is what it is.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Sorry to her that. Thinking positive - he's lucky to have you.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sorry to her that. Thinking positive - he's lucky to have you.

Thanks. We just came back from the lake and got to hang out with other dogs and their owners. They all have their own tales of woe. Everyone has problems, most of them worse than mine.