LEGEND My Dog ROCKS!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Our dog Fred

FredMe9_zpshetv3cl9.jpg

fred8_zpsszmicgjm.jpg

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya' know guys, these pics are making it very difficult to decide on my next dog.
Keep up the good work.

iced

Ya' know guys, these pics are making it very difficult to decide on my next dog.
Keep up the good work.

Can't go wrong with a Lab mix, particularly Lab/pit - extremely sweet and loyal dogs.

My next one is going to be a Retriever or a Retriever mix...

back to this guy - will literally lay anywhere

981732_10201499980331550_248474745_o.jpg

up on bar stools...
946164_10201054863603910_994510355_n.jpg

generally the view i wake up to
736733_10200223466939513_1588335532_o.jpg

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Never feed your pups the Beneful dog food. We fed our Lab that brand before we found out how bad it was. His bones wasted away, and there's plenty of info out there about how bad that stuff is. I've not had a pup in about 6 years now, so maybe they fixed the stuff. But I sure as hell will stay away from Purina for the rest of the dogs I will own's sake.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Never feed your pups the Beneful dog food. We fed our Lab that brand before we found out how bad it was. His bones wasted away, and there's plenty of info out there about how bad that stuff is. I've not had a pup in about 6 years now, so maybe they fixed the stuff. But I sure as hell will stay away from Purina for the rest of the dogs I will own's sake.

I'm really fortunate in the fact we slaughter our bull calves when they reach about 1.5 years and I've been feeding my little beast raw bones and supplementing it with this brand called "Call of the Wild" I pick up at tractor supply
Dogs will literally eat the bones
My dog has the finest coat and perfectly clean teeth
Plus it's fun to see your dog go all primeval chopping on a femur

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm really fortunate in the fact we slaughter our bull calves when they reach about 1.5 years and I've been feeding my little beast raw bones and supplementing it with this brand called "Call of the Wild" I pick up at tractor supply
Dogs will literally eat the bones
My dog has the finest coat and perfectly clean teeth
Plus it's fun to see your dog go all primeval chopping on a femur

My uncle mixes in pumpkin with his dog's food. It's supposed to be good for their digestive tract and their coat.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep up the good work.
Highly recommend a Golden.

Best dog I ever had!

Took a while to train him, but - once he was trained - great dog!

One word of caution, though. At least in my experience, they are hell to pay as puppies... he ate anything and everything, including:
* Chair strappings (lawn furniture)
* Garden hoses
* Linoleum
* Door moldings
* Sheet rock (I fel really bad about this one... I had a friend dog sit with im at his house... ate through the sheet rock in his laundry room)

But, once that stage was over? Absolutely awesome dog!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I've had:

Two German Shepherds - brave and loyal.

Old English Sheepdog - lovable but stupid.

Schnauzer - smartest dog I've ever had.

Malamute/Wolf mix - 120 pounds - the best all around dog I've ever had. On two different occasions she attacked people who tried to do me harm. One time she chased two guys around the block and I had to get in my car and find her.

American Eskimo Spitz - I referred to him as "the little bastard." Smart but mean, a biter. All those seizures along with the meds messed up his brain.

Beagle - affectionate but dumb as a sack of hammers and stubborn as an army mule.

If I could go back and do it again, I would never get a pure-bred of any type. They seem to have by far the most health problems. All the dogs listed above were pure-breds from pet shops except for the Malamute/Wolf I got from an animal shelter. She was never sick a day in her life except for a few days before she passed. Go with a mixed breed @VegasRam.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Roxy was a Lab Shepherd mix - agree 100%.

iced

Highly recommend a Golden.

Best dog I ever had!

Took a while to train him, but - once he was trained - great dog!

One word of caution, though. At least in my experience, they are hell to pay as puppies... he ate anything and everything, including:
* Chair strappings (lawn furniture)
* Garden hoses
* Linoleum
* Door moldings
* Sheet rock (I fel really bad about this one... I had a friend dog sit with im at his house... ate through the sheet rock in his laundry room)

But, once that stage was over? Absolutely awesome dog!

From what I understand dogs do that when they have a lot of pent up energy, especially puppies...

Wear them out and that should help a ton (also expect more energy from those who aren't neutered)

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two German Shepherds. One long haired. Both were credits too their breed.

Two Wire haired Fox terriers. One Airedale. In my experience if you get any dog that has terrier in its name be prepared. They will fight anything no matter the size. They seem to seek out trouble for fun. On the flip side they are smart,loyal and funny.

But my pride and joy over the years have been my Pyrenees. I have had several as pets not working dogs. And you could not ask for better over all dog. They have all of the good and very little of the bad. Although they can be very strong willed. Takes a firm but loving hand, sometimes. Right now I have a little female (about 130lbs)named sugar. You haven't lived till you have had a 130lb Pyrenees jump in your lap because she believes she is a pup.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In my experience if you get any dog that has terrier in its name be prepared. They will fight anything no matter the size. They seem to seek out trouble for fun.

My beagle will kill anything he can catch. Moles and other unfortunate critters are sometimes left in my bed as presents. :mad: Earlier this year he attacked a Siberian Husky three times his size. I think he has a Napoleon complex.

Since there are so many dog lovers in this thread, I'd like to ask a question. This is the time of year that fleas infest my beagle. He is allergic to the chemicals in pills, collars, and that liquid you put on the neck. Have had to take him to the vet twice because of allergic reactions so I've had to settle for natural cures.

Avon Skin So Soft helps a little. Diatomaceous earth has been recommended and tried but I worry about his lungs. Just now I used the wet vac on him. Any recommendations?

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My beagle will kill anything he can catch. Moles and other unfortunate critters are sometimes left in my bed as presents. :mad: Earlier this year he attacked a Siberian Husky three times his size. I think he has a Napoleon complex.

Since there are so many dog lovers in this thread, I'd like to ask a question. This is the time of year that fleas infest my beagle. He is allergic to the chemicals in pills, collars, and that liquid you put on the neck. Have had to take him to the vet twice because of allergic reactions so I've had to settle for natural cures.

Avon Skin So Soft helps a little. Diatomaceous earth has been recommended and tried but I worry about his lungs. Just now I used the wet vac on him. Any recommendations?
Try Tea tree oil. Its natural not expensive. It wont cure but may help. Try a small area first. It has a smell.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll give it a try. Thank you.

About a 2% solution should work. I add to the dogs shampoo. I don't believe it kills fleas. But they don't like it at all. With a short haired breed like a beagle you should be able to see the fleas jumping off. I am not a vet so if your dog has any reaction stop. But I have used it for years and yes I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't go wrong with a Lab mix, particularly Lab/pit - extremely sweet and loyal dogs.

My next one is going to be a Retriever or a Retriever mix...

back to this guy - will literally lay anywhere

981732_10201499980331550_248474745_o.jpg

up on bar stools...

generally the view i wake up to
Funny. Sam for some reason likes to lay his head on hard objects - generally wood but sometimes metal. He sleeps on the bed with us but instead of laying his head on the nice Temperpedic matress, he lays it on the rough sawn oak footboard of our bed. It even looks like a completely uncomfortable angle. I'll have to get a picture of it sometime. It makes no sense.

iced

Funny. Sam for some reason likes to lay his head on hard objects - generally wood but sometimes metal. He sleeps on the bed with us but instead of laying his head on the nice Temperpedic matress, he lays it on the rough sawn oak footboard of our bed. It even looks like a completely uncomfortable angle. I'll have to get a picture of it sometime. It makes no sense.

my favorite pose is the "Go home you're drunk dog" look, but there isn't anything he won't lay against... lol i love the angle he takes when he's trying to be sneaky - if someone is in the kitchen he'll lay against the corner of the bathroom trim, neck bent all up right at like a 90 degree angle,just barely in sight of the stove or where people make food lol..dude is a complete food whore