My concern...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramzheart

Rookie
It occurred to me while watching the game Sunday and hearing Romo go on about all the audibles the Rams do and that they are at the top of the league in terms of frequency.
So my concern is this; making these changes at the line involves alot of communication, which is fine when they can all hear each other. This is going to be alot tougher in your louder stadiums and I feel that was an issue in Minnesota. There were times they couldn't get everyone on the same page.
We haven't had too many away games yet that have been fever pitch but those are coming and once we get to the playoffs!?
To make a long story longer- I'm just wondering if it would be wise to do a little less going forward, especially with this attention over McVay- Goff communications... Thoughts???

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm just wondering if it would be wise to do a little less going forward, especially with this attention over McVay- Goff communications...
There's nothing illegal or wrong about it, doing it less now gives the dildos who think it is illegal false validation. McVay already said he did this in WAS, it wasn't a story then.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
There's nothing illegal or wrong about it, doing it less now gives the dildos who think it is illegal false validation. McVay already said he did this in WAS, it wasn't a story then.

Unless, like Ramzheart mentioned, louder stadiums (aka Minnesota, Seattle, etc) take away McVay's primary mode for communicating with Goff. It was definitely an issue in Minnesota, and I could see it being an issue if we've got to go on the road to a place like NOLA or Philly.

Ramzheart

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No I dont think it's wrong either, I meant it in terms of teams looking for ways to make it harder now

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Or now they fake an audible out of a play, let the defense adjust and they're running the right play :)

It's all a game between coaches and the leaders on the field. They're going to make adjustments.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Unless, like Ramzheart mentioned, louder stadiums (aka Minnesota, Seattle, etc) take away McVay's primary mode for communicating with Goff. It was definitely an issue in Minnesota, and I could see it being an issue if we've got to go on the road to a place like NOLA or Philly.
Well, that all depends on the environment. It was an issue in Minn, but most other places there hasn't.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
No I dont think it's wrong either, I meant it in terms of teams looking for ways to make it harder now
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, the Vikings had a good combination of crowd noise and a defense that normally likes to disguise what they do. It might take defenses an off-season to be disciplined enough to disguise their look without being caught out of position.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rather than try to discredit McVay, perhaps the complainers should ask what the other 31 coaches are doing in that initial 15 seconds of allotted headset/QB communication time ? Our HC is learning to utilize any proper & legal advantage he can create within the rules, too bad that his older more experienced opposition coaches didn't grasp that concept themselves. Sounds like envy to me. jmo.

Ellard80

Legend
I was at the Vikings game... I didn't see Goff having any trouble communicating at the line of scrimmage.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I dont get what's the big deal... It cuts off at 15 secs for a reason. I would assume a lot of coaches talk up until the last seconds unless you have a QB like Brady or Rogers or Rothilsberger who have been around a long time.

Seems to be a lot to do about nothing.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think all the Rams/Goff skeptics/doubters (aka the espnitwits and media asshats) who are backpedaling now and cannot wait for a couple losses to start their “I told you so” narrative(s), should go on their own “What Happened” book tour.

I think all the members of this forum should relax and enjoy the ride.

Jesus Christ guys.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It occurred to me while watching the game Sunday and hearing Romo go on about all the audibles the Rams do and that they are at the top of the league in terms of frequency.
So my concern is this; making these changes at the line involves alot of communication, which is fine when they can all hear each other. This is going to be alot tougher in your louder stadiums and I feel that was an issue in Minnesota. There were times they couldn't get everyone on the same page.
We haven't had too many away games yet that have been fever pitch but those are coming and once we get to the playoffs!?
To make a long story longer- I'm just wondering if it would be wise to do a little less going forward, especially with this attention over McVay- Goff communications... Thoughts???
Hell no, unless you want to give up on just about every loss of down that a defensive coordinator dials up a blitz.

Before headsets existed, think back to the time that home field advantage was first described as crowd noise, or rather try to think back to when that hasn't been the case. What happens to Kurt Warner if he doesn't masterfully pick up those blitzes and torch defenses? What happens to the GSOT with no audibles? What happens to the K gun, Jim Kelly and the blow it again Bills that were so fun to watch?

Think back to when the Hogs would hold hands to communicate with each other in an attempt to combat crowd noise.

Now consider that NFL teams have been experimenting with headsets in the 1950s.

Finally consider that the defense, with or without headsets has also been making adjustments to what they see, and that they too have trouble communicating with each other when there is a lot of crowd noise.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I understand the concern @Ramzheart - but loud stadiums always are an issue. I don't think thats why we lost in Minny... that game was lost on that huge D play on the LOS on Kupp.

Its all a part of the game, its the chess game that OCs and DCs play against each other - I wouldn't change the audibles, McVay and Goff have a good partnership at the moment, they both see the field, and adjust accordingly, I love it. Theres that clip of McVay in the Saints game where you see him looking at their D setting in position and you see him progress through the O play he's called, realises it isn't going to work and calls a quick audible, I think its on the big Sammy W gain...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I rarely watch ESPN, unless a YouTube clip comes up on specific Rams subject. I saw Simm's original denunciation of Goff/McVay...is it more than that now? If it's completely legal, then kiss our collective @sses. Don't like it, make some rule changes, but I have a feeling that McVay is not unique in what he's coaching so that rule change would make a lot of owners scream behind locked doors in a meeting. They want more offense in the NFL because that sells, so....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://pca.st/xL5j

That link should ease your concerns. Vinny and crew straight up dog Simms for making a stupid statement like that and suggest that QBs and coaches have been doing this since the start of the headset rule. Chip Kelly did it and so did Doug pederson. I even talked to a broncos fanatic that said Peyton definitely did it too. I also found a recent article that talks about how Josh McDaniels will tell Brady to "watch this blitz" or other things. C'mon guys. We think NFL coaches aren't smart enough to have used this in it's 20 year existence?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I rarely watch ESPN, unless a YouTube clip comes up on specific Rams subject. I saw Simm's original denunciation of Goff/McVay...is it more than that now? If it's completely legal, then kiss our collective @sses. Don't like it, make some rule changes, but I have a feeling that McVay is not unique in what he's coaching so that rule change would make a lot of owners scream behind locked doors in a meeting. They want more offense in the NFL because that sells, so....
It's literally just Chris Simms. Everyone else (coaches and players, current and retired) have said that it's not that uncommon.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Poor Chris Simms. Pathetic at everything he does. But his black heart prevents me from feeling bad for him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was at the Vikings game... I didn't see Goff having any trouble communicating at the line of scrimmage.
I was too, and I did. That place was loooouuuud. They can beat that with a combo of voice and hand signals if they need to though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rather than try to discredit McVay, perhaps the complainers should ask what the other 31 coaches are doing in that initial 15 seconds of allotted headset/QB communication time ?

This is a common practice in the game, league-wide. Simms is just stirring shit here. This is how sports media works. Speculate, assume, suppose and on and on. Fact has a plce in the reporting but it's just a piece of the pie, the rest is dog balls.