My Camp Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
*Note don't expect a good detail report. I do not take notes. I just observe*

*Also note that basing what a irrelevant poster perceived during practice does in no way has meaningful implications on how the season will play out*

- The defensive line. This group gets a lot of hype. In practice they showed they deserve the hype. Quinn looks great. Long looks great as well.

- The defense plays with an edge. I have high hopes for this unit. Great intensity.

- Tavon Austin. He lined up outside quite a bit. He is hard to cover in space. You would think it would be easy for corners to jam such a small guy, but you can't hit what you can't touch. I think they have a much better idea on how to use him. I expect big things from Austin in 2014.

- Sucks Bailey is suspended. He has the look of a very good receiver.

- When you watch Jared Cook in practice you wonder how he hasn't been all-pro. So big, fluid, and athletic.

- I really liked what I saw from Kendricks. Guy is solid and I think he is poised for a solid season.

- Outside 2 deep passes to Austin, one which the defense was all over him, Bradford looked good. Good zip on his passes. By week 1 I think the rust will be off and we will see the 2013 Bradford.

The Bad:
- Kenny Britt. He has catching issues. Not a hands catcher. Ball gets into his body.

- Brian Quick, had a drop, which isn't a big deal. But he didn't compete on an under thrown deep pass on one on one drills. I want him to be more aggressive. He didn't necessarily have a bad practice, but I want more from this guy.

- The offensive line. They aren't in pads and are without their LT. But man do the OTs get beat quickly by the DEs, granted they are two of the best in the game.

Random notes:
-Robinson got a lot of work at LT. Some criticize this, I don't. First you drafted him long term to be your LT. Get him some development time there. Also the chance to go against Quinn will only help him.

- Garrett Gilbert got a lot of time with the 2s. Didn't look bad out there

ausmurp

Starter
Thanks man, great to here from camp. I'm surprised to hear that about Britt. I watched his highlight video and the way he dominated the Eagles in 2012, we haven't had a wr that can do that since Holt.

Athos

Legend
I've never been sold on Britt's hands. It'll just be a matter of him making more great catches and big plays than bad drops on potentially big plays.

Cook is all about effort. Based on last season, him giving 100% seemed to vary from snap to snap. It's the "too easy" disease where a player thinks they can give 80% and still be dominant.

Hope he's motivated during the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks Fro. I don't want to read anything into what you posted, but the whole "didn't compete on an underthrown ball" thing kinda makes me cringe.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Fro. I don't want to read anything into what you posted, but the whole "didn't compete on an underthrown ball" thing kinda makes me cringe.
It wasn't a huge deal, so don't read too much into it. I just wish he did a better job at going up after it. It's one of my biggest criticisms with him. He is so big and strong you want to see him be more physical.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It wasn't a huge deal, so don't read too much into it. I just wish he did a better job at going up after it. It's one of my biggest criticisms with him. He is so big and strong you want to see him be more physical.

And yet you completely over look the fact that he made maybe a dozen catches on other throws throughout the day. Be careful when you post ONLY the negative stuff on a player like that. Its the ONLY thing people tend to cling to. IMO, Quick Britt and Bailey were the only WRs to stand out today. Everything Austin caught was underneath, although he made a nice leaping catch along the sideline on a ball that most likely would not have been completed if it were live. McLeod made a great break of the ball, and would have laid out Austin if there would have been full contact.

lockdnram21

Legend

were those his only mess ups because on twitter people kept saying he was making catches in traffic. From what im seeing on twitter him and Bailey has been the best and hes next after Bailey?

FRO

Legend
And yet you completely over look the fact that he made maybe a dozen catches on other throws throughout the day. Be careful when you post ONLY the negative stuff on a player like that. Its the ONLY thing people tend to cling to. IMO, Quick Britt and Bailey were the only WRs to stand out today. Everything Austin caught was underneath, although he made a nice leaping catch along the sideline on a ball that most likely would not have been completed if it were live. McLeod made a great break of the ball, and would have laid out Austin if there would have been full contact.
That's why I clearly made a disclaimer at the top to take what I observed with a gain of salt. Clear as day. I also watched the receiver drills and one on one stuff. Like I said earlier to base what I saw in one practice in no way had any bearing on how things will play out. Some days at work I'm horrible. Some days I'm outstanding. So you can't base stuff off of one practice that a guy who isn't too intelligent is reporting back on.

Everybody take what I observe with a grain of salt. Please don't read too much into anything.

FRO

Legend
were those his only mess ups because on twitter people kept saying he was making catches in traffic. From what im seeing on twitter him and Bailey has been the best and hes next after Bailey?
Yes. I'm tough on him. I expect a lot out of him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Aaron Donald play vs. the 1's or 2's? How did he do?

PolarBear

Rookie
Did Aaron Donald play vs. the 1's or 2's? How did he do?
He played with 2s if I remember correctly. I watched him specifically a few plays and saw Davin Joseph for the most part shut him down 1 on 1. Langford played with 1s.

Disclaimer: I only watched Donald a few plays.