My 2016 Offseason Dream Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robert

Rookie
I will start off by saying i wasn't very original with the draft picks a lot of these are compiled from a few of the mocks already on here but i like the picks. I tried to keep most of the defense intact as you all know there aren't the problem. This is my dream off-season mock probably wont happen but if it did there would be no way Fisher could say there wasn't enough talent to win. So lets get to it sorry its so drawn out.

Rams win one more game this year going 5-11. Sad to say but I think the only team left on the schedule the Rams can beat is the 49ers. The Bucs and the Lions are both playing better football as of late. They end up with the 6th overall pick. The Eagles end up 6-10 and have the 9th overall pick which is important seeing how we have their 2nd round pick.

In this mock Jeff Fisher stays. Hopefully he finds an actual offensive coordinator I will leave that up to you to choose.

STARTING CAP ROOM-38 million

Key Cuts: Jared Cook, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey

I bet your surprised only 3 guys on the list. I don’t see the rams cutting Roger Saffold at least not yet. Cutting Cook and Britt would save about 10 million in cap space. I feel for Sted but it is a business sorry. I'm sure a lot of you wonder why were not cutting Saffold and Laurinaitis. The answer to that is we need someone to replace them first Laurinaitis isn't the best inside linebacker but he is not the worst either he will not be the reason why we are not successful. Saffold at worst provides backup in case of injury or someone isn't playing very well yes that is a expensive backup lineman but we can afford it at this point next year would be there year we need to clear more cap to sign other guys like Brockers and Mcdonald. Cutting Foles saves us nothing so we throw him in a trade you will see later on.

CAP ROOM-48 million

Restructure: Chris Long

His cap number is about 14 million this next year. We extend Chris Long’s contract into 2017 break up his 2016 base salary of 9.75 into 4 million base salary, another 4.5 million in bonuses giving him an 8.5 million dollar cap space. With his other 5.75 million base salary guaranteed in 2017 with some performance bonuses. I love Chris Long’s leadership I think he loves being in St. Louis and I would be sad to see him leave. He restructures his contract to help build a winning team. If not, he will be cut and you can add another 12 million to the cap space

CAP ROOM- 53 million CAP ROOM -60 million cutting Long

Resign:

Janoris Jenkins- 5 years, 65 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years, 30 million
Mark Barron – 4 years, 24 million
Nick Farley- 1 year 5 Million
Cory Harkey - 3 years, 4.5 million
William Hayes - 1 year, 4 million
Benny Cunningham - RFA
Cody Davis – 2 years, 1.5 million
Daren Bates – 2 years, 1.5 million
Rodney McLeod- RFA
Chase Reynolds 2 years, 1.5 million
Wes Welker- 1 year, 1 million
Brian Quick- 1 year, 1 million
Greg Zuerlein- 1 year 2 million

CAP SPACE: 8.8 Million

Free Agent Departures: Eugene Sims, Tim Barnes, Case Keenum

Trades:

Rams trade Nick Foles, Janoris Jenkins 2016 2nd round (Eagles) pick, 2017 2nd round pick, 2017 3rd round pick to the Browns for Josh Gordon and 2016 1st round pick, 2016 3rd round pick

Why this works The Browns are far from being a super bowl contender. Joe Haden has been hurt a lot this season and its possible he might go to injured reserve due to his last concussion. Only playing 5 games this season. The Browns need a reliable guy that stays on the field. There getting a 1st round proven talent in Jenkins. The Browns trade Haden to a team for more talent or some picks and not even miss a beat. They owner wants Johnny Football to be there quarterback if he didn’t they would have cut him but they get a decent backup in Nick Foles if Johnny fails. They know Josh Gordon has a ton of talent but it’s not working in Cleveland he needs a new start and who else is better than Fisher at turning guys around. If Fisher has to sleep next to this guy in bed to make sure he stays out of trouble i think he does it. They also pick up a 2nd rounder and a 4th to help with the rebuilding. They also swap the Rams 2nd round pick they got with the Eagles for the Browns 3rd pick. This trade happens the start of free agency. If you think its not enough to get the 2nd overall pick throw in our 2017 1st rounder with it Fisher needs to win now.

View: https://youtu.be/C9x05J3sm1Y

Rams trade Tre Mason to the Cowboys for a 4th round Pick.
Tre Mason is a capable starter especially behind a line as good as the cowboys.

Rams trade there 2016 6th round pick for Mike Glennon. The Bucs have Winston now they dont need Glennon we take him for a backup who could possible start the season to give one of our rookie QB more time.

View: https://youtu.be/9Tqj7oSeWpk

CAP SPACE: 29 million

Free Agency:

Rams sign Stefen Wisniewski to a 3 year 21 million dollar The Rams let him leave last year and he is playable great football as expected they don’t let him go this time. Center would no longer be a weak link in our line.
hi-res-841d3b77b3822bfe223ec7d0538ee620_crop_north.jpg

Rams sign Jake Long to a 1 year 2 million dollar deal. I know people think this is a bad pickup but we need a vet who can back up Havenstein at RT and LT in a pinch and I don’t see us getting a better cheaper option then him.
hi-res-4b50e1930afe4342292dabeaa4b3f4f1_crop_north.jpg

CAP SPACE 20 million

Draft:

1st round (2) QB Praxton Lynch, Memphis or Jared Goff, Cal. -Your choice I would be fine with either

View: https://youtu.be/cEGafktM5r4

View: https://youtu.be/txF-8e1p48g

1st round (6) OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame. -This was a tough one I really would like to take one of the corners to replace Jenkins or a receiver for our new qb to throw too but I think it’s better to keep him protected.
View: https://youtu.be/YX4hjonnRIc

2nd round Rams WR Tyler Boyd, Pitt. I was torn between Boyd and Doctson but would be happy with either.

View: https://youtu.be/QSh6yeGjWs8

3nd round Browns LB Scooby Wright, Arizona, I know a lot of guys are high on him and I don’t see Laurinaitis lasting to much longer.
View: https://youtu.be/_M1PTdQyRVY

3rd round Rams- TE Evan Engram, Ole Miss- Guy pretty much takes over Cooks spot as a downfield threat
View: https://youtu.be/F5QitbYK_DE

4th round Cowboys (102) C Evan Boehm-

View: https://youtu.be/FWDstknJHEw

Roster Breakdown:

QB – Jared Goff, Mike Glennon, Sean Mannion
RB - Todd Gurley. Benny Cunningham, Malcom Brown
FB - Cory Harkey.
WR – Josh Gordon, Bradley Marquez, Brian Quick
WR – Tyler Boyd, Tavon Austin. Wes Welker.
TE – Evan Engram, Lance Kendricks.
LT – Ron Stanley, Isaiah Battle
LG – Greg Robinson, Garrett Reynolds,
C - Stefen Wisniewski, Evan Boehm,
RG –Jamon Brown, Roger Saffold, Andrew Donnal,
RT - Rob Havenstein. Jake Long
RE – Chris Long, William Hayes, Ethan Westbrooks,
DT - Aaron Donald, Nick Fairley
DT - Michael Brockers.
RE - Robert Quinn, Eugene Sims, Matt Longacre,
OLB - Mark Barron. Akeem Ayers
MLB – James Laurinaitis, Scooby Wright, Daren Bates
OLB - Alec Ogletree. Bryce Hager.
CB - Trumaine Johnson. Marcus Roberson,
CB - E.J. Gaines. LeMarcus Joyner
FS – Rodney Mccloud, Cody Davis,
SS - T.J. McDonald., Maurice Alexander,
K – Greg Zeurlin
P - Johnny Hekker.
LS - Jake McQuaide.

Practice Squad With Chance to Make 53
Louis Trinca-Pasat
Cody Wichmann,
Christian Bryant.
Malcolm Brown.
Demetrius Rhaney.

What do you guys think. I feel personally this team would have tons of talent on offense with Goff, Gurley, Austin, Boyd, Gordon, Engram, with a very good young line. There would be no more excuses the time would be now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
One thing: Rodney McLeod is an unrestricted free agent. I also expect Fairley to leave for a starting job somewhere else. But I could get behind that draft, and it's a good offseason (Josh Gordon aside). Nicely done.

Robert

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing: Rodney McLeod is an unrestricted free agent. I also expect Fairley to leave for a starting job somewhere else. But I could get behind that draft, and it's a good offseason (Josh Gordon aside). Nicely done.

If Mcleod is a unrestricted free agent i would have trouble extending him to a long term deal i just dont see him as a long term solution but we cant afford to use a high pick on a free safety. So i would try to resign him for a 1 to 2 year deal but nothing more. I originally had Fairley walking but i dont think he has proved himself enough to get paid big money if he does leave i'm sure we can find DT depth in FA. People were saying the same thing about Jenkins when we drafted him and it worked out not saying it will be the same with Gordon and i would only bring him in if Fisher is the head coach still. I really think we have nothing to lose with throwing Gordon into the deal. He would just be a Consolation prize if he worked out. I would still make the trade happen if Gordon isn't available. In all honesty the browns organization is a joke I could see alot of players being screw ups if you had to play for them.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
If Tyler Boyd is considered one of the top wide receivers in this class why do I keep seeing all these mocks where he magically falls to the second round?

Stel

Starter
If Tyler Boyd is considered one of the top wide receivers in this class why do I keep seeing all these mocks where he magically falls to the second round?

I think it is a numbers issue. On average, four WRs are taken in the first round and 6-7 in the first 48 picks. All depends on WR need and talent available at other positions. Right now, most "internet experts" have the WRs lined up as Treadwell, Thomas and Coleman in the first, Doctson, Fuller and Boyd in the second. I've seen others with all of them as first rounders. Fuller, I think, has announced he is returning to school.

We're very early in the process, but given that 9 WRs went in the first 48 last season and 8 the season before that, and add in that there isn't an AJ Green or Julio Jones in this class, I won't be surprised if WRs tend to slide a bit. However, if Boyd rips off a sub 4.4 40, he'll be a first rounder. And all that assumes he doesn't stay in school.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wow. I'm glad that you said dream because that Browns trade is simply outrageous.:shocked:

Robert

Rookie
Do you recall what it cost Washington to move up from 6 to 2 for RG3 ?

yes i do i did add that if we had to throw in our 1st round next year i would do it. i think Jenkins a 1st round next year, 2nd this year a 2nd next year and a 3rd next year could do it. If not the rams are looking like they could be in order to get the 2nd QB off the board if they keep losing we can still pull the trade off with someone in the top ten that needs a corner so we could draft stanley. I also feel if the Browns think they could move Haden for a 1st rounder to someone it would definitely help our cause

Memphis Ram

Legend
why is that

1. Haden already has a big contract and you're expecting the Browns to trade for the right to give Jenkins a big (perhaps bigger) contract, too? Besides, do you really expect for one injury plagued season to have them looking for an alternative to perhaps their best player? BTW, I just discovered that Jenkins is older than Haden. Go figure.

2. The owner couldn't be crazy enough to force whomever his coaching staff is to make Manziel the 2016 starter if he hasn't shown anything in two years and has proven that he can't stay out of trouble. He's going to be looking for another face of his franchise, himself. Not risk another poor season with an untrustworthy Manziel and perhaps the worst QB in the NFL this year in Foles. Not if he wants to sell tickets, hire a decent coach, or maintain the staff he has now.

BTW, Josh Gordon is probably one infraction away from being kicked out the league for good.

Robert

Rookie
1. Haden already has a big contract and you're expecting the Browns to trade for the right to give Jenkins a big (perhaps bigger) contract, too? Besides, do you really expect for one injury plagued season to have them looking for an alternative to perhaps their best player? BTW, I just discovered that Jenkins is older than Haden. Go figure.

2. The owner couldn't be crazy enough to force whomever his coaching staff is to make Manziel the 2016 starter if he hasn't shown anything in two years and has proven that he can't stay out of trouble. He's going to be looking for another face of his franchise, himself. Not risk another poor season with an untrustworthy Manziel and perhaps the worst QB in the NFL this year in Foles. Not if he wants to sell tickets, hire a decent coach, or maintain the staff he has now.

BTW, Josh Gordon is probably one infraction away from being kicked out the league for good.

1. No way Jenkins gets a bigger contract maybe as big but no way bigger. It is 1 injury plagued season but the guy has already had his second concussion of the year which might not be a big deal except for the fact he hasn't been able to pass the 1st part of the concussion protocol for 3 weeks now to me that would scare me. Most guys dont have this much trouble getting back after a concussion.

2. The owner is crazy and he is the only reason why Manziel is on the team still. He is the same owner that forced his gm and head coach to draft Johnny. The coach doesn't want anything to do with him. The thing i dont understand about everyone is Manziel is actually an average starter atleast in the games he has started this year. He isn't doing anything to make his team lose unlike Nick Foles. He has played in maybe 10 games total over 2 years and only started 4 i believe. His average passer rating is 94 he has a 5/2 td/int ratio this year. The guy is a decent average QB with little experience. Yes he has off the field issues but i dont think he has ever been suspended by the league. Why in your right mind are you giving up on a 2 year old 1st round QB that hasn't had a chance. We might as well throw in the towel on Grob. If i'm the owner even if i dont trade the pick in this mock scenario i definitely wouldn't be taking a QB in the first round not without knowing what i truly have in the 1st round pick thats still on my team.

Gordon as stated above was just a consolation prize him being available or not would not make or break the trade. I think everyone has forgotten the hall of fame wr that had the same issues as Josh Gordon possibly worse. His name was Chris Carter not saying he will or wont stay out of trouble but if they were to except the trade with Gordon being in it why not take the chance if he gets into trouble so be it we still draft Tyler Boyd and bring Quick back just incase that happens

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Browns would be doing US a favor by trading for Nick Foles. They're not giving up a top 5 pick for absolutely nothing. Plus, if you re-sign Jenkins to a long term deal, the cap penalty will make him impossible to trade unless he accepts a deal with no signing bonus (highly unlikely). That trade is not going to happen.

I don't know why we'd want Jake Long back. He hasn't played at all for the Falcons.

Mike Glennon will cost more than a 6th round pick.

Stefen Wisniewski will not cost anywhere near $7 million a year.

And I want nothing to do with Josh Gordon.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1. No way Jenkins gets a bigger contract maybe as big but no way bigger. It is 1 injury plagued season but the guy has already had his second concussion of the year which might not be a big deal except for the fact he hasn't been able to pass the 1st part of the concussion protocol for 3 weeks now to me that would scare me. Most guys dont have this much trouble getting back after a concussion.

2. The owner is crazy and he is the only reason why Manziel is on the team still. He is the same owner that forced his gm and head coach to draft Johnny. The coach doesn't want anything to do with him. The thing i dont understand about everyone is Manziel is actually an average starter atleast in the games he has started this year. He isn't doing anything to make his team lose unlike Nick Foles. He has played in maybe 10 games total over 2 years and only started 4 i believe. His average passer rating is 94 he has a 5/2 td/int ratio this year. The guy is a decent average QB with little experience. Yes he has off the field issues but i dont think he has ever been suspended by the league. Why in your right mind are you giving up on a 2 year old 1st round QB that hasn't had a chance. We might as well throw in the towel on Grob. If i'm the owner even if i dont trade the pick in this mock scenario i definitely wouldn't be taking a QB in the first round not without knowing what i truly have in the 1st round pick thats still on my team.

Gordon as stated above was just a consolation prize him being available or not would not make or break the trade. I think everyone has forgotten the hall of fame wr that had the same issues as Josh Gordon possibly worse. His name was Chris Carter not saying he will or wont stay out of trouble but if they were to except the trade with Gordon being in it why not take the chance if he gets into trouble so be it we still draft Tyler Boyd and bring Quick back just incase that happens

Haden's concussion might scare you, but do you really believe that it would scare them enough to have perhaps the most expensive CB tandem in the history of NFL? Not to mention the monies given to their first round choice that year (#8 overall) before Manziel in CB Justin Gilbert. If it's too early to give up on Manziel wouldn't the same hold true for him, too?

If they were really desperate for CB help, depending upon how high their selection, they could trade down a bit and select one of the top CBs in this draft class who might even be better and will be paid far less money for 5 years. Or simply sign another free agent CB minus a franchise tag.

On Manziel. If your coaching staff and teammates cannot trust you to be their leader/QB, you'd have to be crazy not to be willing to move on if they see a better opportunity present itself in the draft.

Gordon had lots issues in college and in the pros. Chris Carter had issues, but I don't recall him having such a lengthy history. Either way, consolation prize or no, Gordon takes up a roster spot and cannot be counted on. He probably needs to go to a team with a veteran WR core who won't be nearly as hurt if, or when, he slips up again.

Robert

Rookie
Haden's concussion might scare you, but do you really believe that it would scare them enough to have perhaps the most expensive CB tandem in the history of NFL? Not to mention the monies given to their first round choice that year (#8 overall) before Manziel in CB Justin Gilbert. If it's too early to give up on Manziel wouldn't the same hold true for him, too?

If they were really desperate for CB help, depending upon how high their selection, they could trade down a bit and select one of the top CBs in this draft class who might even be better and will be paid far less money for 5 years. Or simply sign another free agent CB minus a franchise tag.

On Manziel. If your coaching staff and teammates cannot trust you to be their leader/QB, you'd have to be crazy not to be willing to move on if they see a better opportunity present itself in the draft.

Gordon had lots issues in college and in the pros. Chris Carter had issues, but I don't recall him having such a lengthy history. Either way, consolation prize or no, Gordon takes up a roster spot and cannot be counted on. He probably needs to go to a team with a veteran WR core who won't be nearly as hurt if, or when, he slips up again.

You missed the point of the trade i clearly stated the browns would dump Haden for a later 1st round pick to a team that needed a corner and not miss a beat there is no way they would keep both. It wouldnt make sense with all the needs they have. Instead of Haden and Gilbert it would be Jenkins and Gilbert the browns would still end up with a first round pick and they would pick up a couple 2nd round picks a 3rd and if we had to our 1st next year. So really they would pretty much just be trading back in the 1st round by trading Haden for a 1st or more talent they could use to fill some of there needs. I think if you read the whole mock you would have gotten that.

Who said Johnny's teammates couldn't trust him? He has never been suspended by the league. What cause his lame excuse for a coach got mad the kid was having a good time on his bye week i dont think he is the first or the last player to do that. You really think taking there 5th QB in the last 8 years is gonna turn around that franchise? You think Johnny is the whole problem your crazy. Johnny isnt on the same level as Aldon Smith or even Josh Gordon for that matter dont get it confused.The media makes it out to seem he is way worse then he really his when he gets suspended for drugs or dui or anything else for that matter then you have a point just because you turn on sportscenter and there talking about what Manziel did that weekend doesnt mean he is actually doing something wrong. Dont you think if the owner or somebody in that franchise didn't believe he had a chance to be there QB of the future they would of cut him plan and simple or traded him for anything they could get?

Yes Gordon has had alot of issues and they probably weren't as lengthy as Chris Carter i dont know i was still to young to remember him as an Eagle but i do know that the media wasnt as big on reporting about the nfl back then. There could be alot of things that never got out about him. The arguement about him is pointless. He could get kicked out of the league before the season even starts or he could go on to be a hall of famer only time will tell. I would take a flyer on him in a heartbeat especially for absolutely nothing. He messes up the roster spot opens up for someone else im not saying lets put all of our eggs in one basket with him. We are still gonna attempt to fix the receiver position in the draft with Boyd but if it does work out you have a special weapon in Gordon that this Offense absolutely needs.

Robert

Rookie
The Browns would be doing US a favor by trading for Nick Foles. They're not giving up a top 5 pick for absolutely nothing. Plus, if you re-sign Jenkins to a long term deal, the cap penalty will make him impossible to trade unless he accepts a deal with no signing bonus (highly unlikely). That trade is not going to happen.

I don't know why we'd want Jake Long back. He hasn't played at all for the Falcons.

Mike Glennon will cost more than a 6th round pick.

Stefen Wisniewski will not cost anywhere near $7 million a year.

And I want nothing to do with Josh Gordon.

Correct the Browns would be doing us a favor with Foles but he isn't what makes the trade happen he is just what gets thrown in with it. Im sure there is some type of way to do a sign and trade deal maybe i am wrong. Really there is no different in the trade i proposed over any of the trades MEMENTO proposed to get a top round pick. This trade might not happen but then again i remember everyone saying no way anyone would trade for a quarter back that missed almost 2 years and had back to back acl injuries and then it happened. Couldnt believe it when i heard so its safe to say crazier trades have happened

I dont care if its Jake Long or anybody else you can find that can backup right tackle and possible left tackle if we absolutely needed him too and for only a couple million. Find a guy i dont care who it is.

The Bucs got there QB in Winston and Glennon will be a free agent at the end of 2016 why not get something for him before he walks?

What do you think Wisniewski will cost? I put him making right in between Max Unger and Mangold. The only guys making more then that are the 2 Pouncey's, Hudson, Mack, Sullivan and Kalil. Which all come in right over 8 million a year. I think its spot but would love to hear what you think.

Good thing you wont ever have to have anything to do with Gordon unless you become a owner, gm, head coach or depending on your age and skill level a player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct the Browns would be doing us a favor with Foles but he isn't what makes the trade happen he is just what gets thrown in with it. Im sure there is some type of way to do a sign and trade deal maybe i am wrong. Really there is no different in the trade i proposed over any of the trades MEMENTO proposed to get a top round pick. This trade might not happen but then again i remember everyone saying no way anyone would trade for a quarter back that missed almost 2 years and had back to back acl injuries and then it happened. Couldnt believe it when i heard so its safe to say crazier trades have happened

That's not really true. Some people felt we could get decent compensation for Bradford. A first is more than any of us expected. But there were people on this board that felt we could trade him.

And no, there's no way to do a sign and trade deal unless he passes on a signing bonus. We'd have to trade him under the franchise tag. Can't trade him if he signs a long term deal.

The Bucs got there QB in Winston and Glennon will be a free agent at the end of 2016 why not get something for him before he walks?

They'll absolutely get something for him. That's my point. He's a young QB with a near 2:1 TD to Int ratio in a little over a season worth of starting experience. Someone will flip a pick for him. But my money is on it being a 4th. A 6th is low. Too many teams desperate for QBs.

What do you think Wisniewski will cost? I put him making right in between Max Unger and Mangold. The only guys making more then that are the 2 Pouncey's, Hudson, Mack, Sullivan and Kalil. Which all come in right over 8 million a year. I think its spot but would love to hear what you think.

He got $2.5 million this year with the Jaguars. And he's been about what he's been his whole career...average. He'll get similar money. Somewhere between $2.5 million and $4 million a year would be my guess.

Good thing you wont ever have to have anything to do with Gordon unless you become a owner, gm, head coach or depending on your age and skill level a player.

The Rams won't have to do anything with him either when he continues to have drug problems and get suspended. Look at Daryl Washington and Justin Blackmon. Do you want to go down that road? How many guys have been suspended as much as Gordon has and come back and had a productive career?

Memphis Ram

Legend
You missed the point of the trade i clearly stated the browns would dump Haden for a later 1st round pick to a team that needed a corner and not miss a beat there is no way they would keep both. It wouldnt make sense with all the needs they have. Instead of Haden and Gilbert it would be Jenkins and Gilbert the browns would still end up with a first round pick and they would pick up a couple 2nd round picks a 3rd and if we had to our 1st next year. So really they would pretty much just be trading back in the 1st round by trading Haden for a 1st or more talent they could use to fill some of there needs. I think if you read the whole mock you would have gotten that.

Who said Johnny's teammates couldn't trust him? He has never been suspended by the league. What cause his lame excuse for a coach got mad the kid was having a good time on his bye week i dont think he is the first or the last player to do that. You really think taking there 5th QB in the last 8 years is gonna turn around that franchise? You think Johnny is the whole problem your crazy. Johnny isnt on the same level as Aldon Smith or even Josh Gordon for that matter dont get it confused.The media makes it out to seem he is way worse then he really his when he gets suspended for drugs or dui or anything else for that matter then you have a point just because you turn on sportscenter and there talking about what Manziel did that weekend doesnt mean he is actually doing something wrong. Dont you think if the owner or somebody in that franchise didn't believe he had a chance to be there QB of the future they would of cut him plan and simple or traded him for anything they could get?

Yes Gordon has had alot of issues and they probably weren't as lengthy as Chris Carter i dont know i was still to young to remember him as an Eagle but i do know that the media wasnt as big on reporting about the nfl back then. There could be alot of things that never got out about him. The arguement about him is pointless. He could get kicked out of the league before the season even starts or he could go on to be a hall of famer only time will tell. I would take a flyer on him in a heartbeat especially for absolutely nothing. He messes up the roster spot opens up for someone else im not saying lets put all of our eggs in one basket with him. We are still gonna attempt to fix the receiver position in the draft with Boyd but if it does work out you have a special weapon in Gordon that this Offense absolutely needs.

OK. I guess I didn't read the whole thing because it didn't make sense from the start to me.

They are going to dump Haden for a 1st round pick AND take a massive cap hit AND pay Jenkins top dollar?

From the Browns point of view:
Why pay draft choice compensation for this privilege? That still a very large 2016 expenditure at the CB position, when they could simply go sign another UFA CB. Or they could simply trade down (if they wanted) and selected a CB in the draft for a MUCH cheaper contract who might be even better.

From the other team trading for Haden:
Someone is going to trade a 1st round pick for someone whose previous team believes has serious enough concussion issues to move on from him AND take on his massive contract? Wouldn't the other team say "Hey, what's going on with Haden?" And if the deal occurred pre-Jenkins trade, they'd know that they'd have to move him, thus lowering the offer amounts. And you don't move him prior to finding his replacement do you?

From Jenkins point of view:
Do you really believe that Jenkins is going to want to go to Cleveland? Leave one bad situation for a worse situation. If he's not willing to go, there's no way this deal gets done. He has to be amiable via contract negotiations. That is, unless the Rams are willing to negotiate a long term contract and be willing to take a massive cap hit to move him so that he wouldn't have a choice.

Read some of Joe Thomas comments on Manziel. Smith and Gordon are not QBs. Their positions don't make or break an organization. You don't have to be suspended by the league not to be deemed capable of handling a starting QB position in the NFL. That guy is typically the face of your franchise. Your leader. He is usually the first man in and last man out of the building among players and lives his craft. And no I don't think that the Browns would have cut or moved him within two years, if not for salary cap purposes alone. When was the last time a 1st round pick has been released so quickly, if ever?

I root for Gordon to get his life together, but I still wouldn't waste the roster spot. Not on a young team in with a young WR room.

Robert

Rookie
That's not really true. Some people felt we could get decent compensation for Bradford. A first is more than any of us expected. But there were people on this board that felt we could trade him.

And no, there's no way to do a sign and trade deal unless he passes on a signing bonus. We'd have to trade him under the franchise tag. Can't trade him if he signs a long term deal.

They'll absolutely get something for him. That's my point. He's a young QB with a near 2:1 TD to Int ratio in a little over a season worth of starting experience. Someone will flip a pick for him. But my money is on it being a 4th. A 6th is low. Too many teams desperate for QBs.

He got $2.5 million this year with the Jaguars. And he's been about what he's been his whole career...average. He'll get similar money. Somewhere between $2.5 million and $4 million a year would be my guess.

The Rams won't have to do anything with him either when he continues to have drug problems and get suspended. Look at Daryl Washington and Justin Blackmon. Do you want to go down that road? How many guys have been suspended as much as Gordon has and come back and had a productive career?

But for a second and for what we thought Nick Foles was a decent starter? I dont think so

Franchise and then trade is this possible?

If teams were interested someone would of made a move for him before the deadline. Maybe a 6th is to low but i wouldnt give up more then a 5th especially if were are taking a QB in the first round.

He will get paid more then 2.5 million a year. He is in the top 8 when it comes to centers and the top 8 make 7 million a year and higher. He needs to fire his agent cause he is worth more then 2.5 to 4 million a year

Your correct but we arent saying a josh come play for us and then throw him a party with hookers and blow. I clearly stated that is Fisher had to sleep next to him at night to keep him out of trouble he would do it. So yeah i think he could over come it if he is placed in the right situation with the right teammates.

Robert

Rookie
OK. I guess I didn't read the whole thing because it didn't make sense from the start to me.

They are going to dump Haden for a 1st round pick AND take a massive cap hit AND pay Jenkins top dollar?

From the Browns point of view:
Why pay draft choice compensation for this privilege? That still a very large 2016 expenditure at the CB position, when they could simply go sign another UFA CB. Or they could simply trade down (if they wanted) and selected a CB in the draft for a MUCH cheaper contract who might be even better.

From the other team trading for Haden:
Someone is going to trade a 1st round pick for someone whose previous team believes has serious enough concussion issues to move on from him AND take on his massive contract? Wouldn't the other team say "Hey, what's going on with Haden?" And if the deal occurred pre-Jenkins trade, they'd know that they'd have to move him, thus lowering the offer amounts. And you don't move him prior to finding his replacement do you?

From Jenkins point of view:
Do you really believe that Jenkins is going to want to go to Cleveland? Leave one bad situation for a worse situation. If he's not willing to go, there's no way this deal gets done. He has to be amiable via contract negotiations. That is, unless the Rams are willing to negotiate a long term contract and be willing to take a massive cap hit to move him so that he wouldn't have a choice.

Read some of Joe Thomas comments on Manziel. Smith and Gordon are not QBs. Their positions don't make or break an organization. You don't have to be suspended by the league not to be deemed capable of handling a starting QB position in the NFL. That guy is typically the face of your franchise. Your leader. He is usually the first man in and last man out of the building among players and lives his craft. And no I don't think that the Browns would have cut or moved him within two years, if not for salary cap purposes alone. When was the last time a 1st round pick has been released so quickly, if ever?

I root for Gordon to get his life together, but I still wouldn't waste the roster spot. Not on a young team in with a young WR room.

Maybe my draft trade isnt the most realistic but take the Browns out of the equation do you think any other team in the league would do this trade? Please dont say no there has got to be a team that wants a top shutdown corner. Well find that team and make a trade happen. The reason i went with the Browns is because i felt we could get a troubled josh gordon in the process and hopefully turn his life around and feel a huge need in the process. Is it pretty far fetched yeah maybe but i would make a trade with any team to get another first round pick unless you you can find a LT in free agency cause leaving Grob there isnt gonna work.

I Joe Thomas is one guy not the whole team i havent read the comments but i will take your word for it but if you asked that same team what QB they would put on the field right now they would all say Manziel. If you asked that team do you want to use our 5th 1st round pick on a QB in the last 8-10 years or go after more talent at a different position they would all say keep Manziel. I think it really depends on how he does the last 4 games if he shows he can make plays and can help win football games i think there 1st pick will not be used on a QB. Just my opinion

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But for a second and for what we thought Nick Foles was a decent starter? I dont think so

You could use this reasoning to say us trading a first for Aaron Rodgers is plausible. The Browns deal is completely implausible.

Franchise and then trade is this possible?

Yes. But can't sign the long term deal until after the trade.

If teams were interested someone would of made a move for him before the deadline. Maybe a 6th is to low but i wouldnt give up more then a 5th especially if were are taking a QB in the first round.

He's more valuable in the off-season than at the trade deadline. He would have to go to a team midway through the year without having any reps with their players or knowing the scheme. QB trades during the season are rare. And generally are desperation moves. Aside from the Rams, who needed to make a desperation move?

He will get paid more then 2.5 million a year. He is in the top 8 when it comes to centers and the top 8 make 7 million a year and higher. He needs to fire his agent cause he is worth more then 2.5 to 4 million a year

Then why did he only get a 1 year $2.5 million deal last year in FA.

He's not a top 8 Center. He's an average Center. Which is where NFL GMs valued him.

Your correct but we arent saying a josh come play for us and then throw him a party with hookers and blow. I clearly stated that is Fisher had to sleep next to him at night to keep him out of trouble he would do it. So yeah i think he could over come it if he is placed in the right situation with the right teammates.

You can't hold the guy's hand 24/7. I'm not saying he can't come over and provide awesome play, I'm saying that I'm not betting on it happening. He's been suspended too many times for it to be a coincidence.