Murray intriguing prospect in QB group/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Murray intriguing prospect in QB group
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4928bf1d-24a0-562b-94e1-e9b9ab604f1c.html

When it comes to the quarterback position, this draft is equal parts hype and intrigue. With that in mind, leave it to NFL draft guru Gil Brandt to point in a direction where not many are looking. Namely, Athens, Ga., and Georgia Bulldogs QB Aaron Murray.

“I’ll tell you this, I think Aaron Murray’s a real wild card in this draft,” Brandt said. “You know, the guy is smart as all get-out. His quickness in learning is off the charts. He’s a quality, quality guy. His production is off the charts.”

During his tenure at Georgia, Murray put up numbers that were anything but “old-man football,” which is how former Mizzou defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson described the Bulldogs in particular and the SEC in general prior to the Tigers’ SEC debut in 2012.

Murray closed out his college career as the Southeastern Conference career leader in completions (921), passing yards (13,166), and touchdown passes (121).

“This guy’s the first quarterback in SEC history to have four consecutive 3,000-yard plus passing seasons,” Brandt said. “Started 52 consecutive games, and that’s unheard of. Continued to play in the Kentucky game after he tore up his knee.”

Late in the 2012 season, former NFL head coach Tony Dungy said he thought Murray should be the No. 1 overall draft pick by Kansas City if he turned pro that year. We’ll never know since Murray decided to return for 2013. The knee injury, a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Game 11, undoubtedly hurt Murray’s draft stock.

He missed the Bulldogs’ regular-season finale and bowl game and couldn’t participate in the Senior Bowl or the NFL Scouting Combine. All of which kept him off radar in this season’s extended pre-draft process.

But his rehab from knee surgery has come along quickly enough that he was able to throw and participate in Georgia’s pro day April 16. The Rams, who dispatched quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti and director of player personnel Taylor Morton to Athens that day, are more than mildly interested in Murray.

Although sidelined for almost all of the pre-draft process, Murray has done everything possible to make himself available to interested NFL teams. For example, he showed up in Mobile, Ala., for Senior Bowl week to speak with NFL teams. He even sat in on meetings with the South squad which was coached by Gus Bradley and the rest of the Jacksonville staff.

Besides, as Murray points out, he has tons of throws on tape.

“I have 52 games for them to watch,” Murray said. “They have a lot of film to analyze and critique, and see what they like.”

Or don’t like. And the majority of those 52 games came in college football’s toughest conference.

“Playing in the SEC definitely helps as well, playing against top competition week-in and week-out,” Murray said.

Some say Murray didn’t win enough big games, then again, in the SEC most games are big games. This past season in particular he helped the Bulldogs win a lot of close games, some the Bulldogs looked like they had no business winning.

Murray displayed good accuracy, especially in his final two seasons when his completion percentage was nearly 65 percent. It’s hard to beat his touchdown-to-interception ratio of 121 to 41. Murray has enough arm strength, but he’s not the tallest QB around at a shade over 6 feet.

But the success of Russell Wilson recently and Drew Brees over the past decade helps Murray’s cause, and his relative lack of height didn’t seem to be a problem in college.

“I really haven’t had any trouble at all,” he said. “I think it was two or three years ago we had, on paper, the biggest offensive line in the world. We had the biggest offensive line in college and pro. We averaged like 6-4, 6-5 — like 320 pounds — and I threw for like 35 or 36 touchdowns that year.

“As a quarterback, you’re not really looking over offensive linemen, you’re looking through throwing lanes. You just have to be able to stay in the position, throw the ball accurately, and deliver the strike.”

Scheme-wise, Georgia did a little bit of everything. Spread, shotgun, dropback, I-formation, play-action. That variety and Murray’s football IQ should make him a quick study at the NFL level, no matter where he ends up.

Murray, who projects as a mid-round pick, should be one of five SEC quarterbacks drafted this year, joining Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, and South Carolina’s Connor Shaw. It will be six if Missouri’s James Franklin is picked up in the late rounds.

Not bad for old-man football.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Draft nuggets: Quarterbacks
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7d5032e8-6839-5fc1-bc10-c984ccb5f0d0.html

Player, school, height, weight

Blake Bortles, Central Florida, 6-5, 232

• Late bloomer has the size, athleticism and enough arm strength to develop into top QB.

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, 6-0, 207

• Can his college “it” factor translate to NFL? Can he become a pocket passer when necessary?

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, 6-2, 214

• After so much production in college, how much will sub-par pro day really hurt his stock?

Derek Carr, Fresno State, 6-2, 214

• Kid brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr helped his cause w/strong Senior Bowl.

Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois, 6-2, 226

• Displays quick release and good footwork. Has a presence to him that projects leadership.

Don’t overlook: Tajh Boyd, Clemson; David Fales, San Jose State; A.J. McCarron, Alabama; Zach Mettenberger, LSU; Aaron Murray, Georgia; Tom Savage Pittsburgh; Connor Shaw, South Carolina.

Local line: Missouri’s James Franklin could be a late-round pick, or get signed as a rookie free agent.

Fun fact: Georgia QB Aaron Murray’s older brother, Josh Murray, was a second-round pick in baseball by the Milwaukee Brewers. Josh is scheduled to appear on next season’s edition of “The Bachelorette” TV show.

Quotable: “I feel like I’ve been disrespected my whole college career. Because I won. That’s usually the knock on me. ... (Because) I won with NFL talent. It’s not like we didn’t play anybody. We played in the SEC, which is the best conference in college football. I think somebody figured out I had played against 40-some (defensive) guys who have been drafted from the time I arrived in ’09 that are still playing in the NFL.” — Alabama QB A.J. McCarron

Rams needs: The Rams have Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis under contract but would like to draft a quarterback who isn’t necessarily a project. That could mean a mid-round draft pick who could potentially compete for a starting job in a year or two.

Rating the field: Four QBs could go in the first round, but it no longer seems like Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater will all go in the top 10. In fact, it’s hard to say whether there’s a true franchise-type signal caller in the draft this year. There appears to be plenty of value beyond the “big three.”

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I don't like the attention he is getting. Hope he can fall to us in the 3rd or 4th, wouldn't be surprised if he went sooner though.

V3

Hall of Fame
No thank you. I don't see him being anything more than a backup.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In this draft, if I needed a QB I would take Murray in the second and not give a damn about reaching for him.

V3

Hall of Fame
we could have used a good backup last season, sorry Clemens
train

We have one now. Shaun Hill. Also, you don't spend third or fourth round picks on backup QB's. Backup QB's are a dime a dozen; easily found every offseason. If you ever have to rely on one for an extended period, your season is probably over anyway.

The biggest thing I look for in a QB is accuracy. If they don't have it, I don't care about anything else. Forget looking at Murray's numbers. Those are a result of lots of shorter passes. Watch him play and look at the placement of his throws. Also, on the intermediate to long throws he's horrible which is why he barely ever did it(which is why I also think the comparisons to Brees are way off). If you want to play a system like Schotty's forever, I guess he might be able to suffice but I personally don't think his system will work unless we have an elite defense like Seattle's was. That's probably harder to get than finding a solid QB.

I watched multiple videos on him and kept seeing throws that the WR's had to contort, leap, dive, etc to catch-and those were the ones they caught. I wanted to know what his accuracy was for the different distances and I found an article that broke it down and confirmed what I was noticing. I like metrics. I don't rely on them but I do use them to reaffirm things that I notice when watching. This is a prime example of that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46748/349/out-of-the-box

j8THHCO.jpg

vg36RY0.jpg

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Why not take a chance on Connor Shaw in the 7th? I honestly see him as a better NFL QB than Murray anyway and it would be great value.