MR:2015 Rams Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Actually, I believe that it's a step forward due to what should be the production of a top rushing attack that could average over 5 yards per carry like Seattle who is currently averaging an unheard of 5.4 ypc. That type of attack mixed in with easier to complete play action passes and QB capable of delivering the long ball to help keep defenders honest would be a significant upgrade, IMO.

Im not sure its a great idea for this team based on where they are right now, but if this was 2 years ago it may have made a ton of sense and probably something Fisher would be on board with. I don't think they would do this at this stage because basically if it blew up in their face, Fisher would probably lose his job. At this stage of the game you almost have to expect a playoff appearance next year.

wrstdude

Rookie
I don't like all the picks and moves, but I'm on board w/ anything that brings the Auburn offense to St. Louis.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im not sure its a great idea for this team based on where they are right now, but if this was 2 years ago it may have made a ton of sense and probably something Fisher would be on board with. I don't think they would do this at this stage because basically if it blew up in their face, Fisher would probably lose his job. At this stage of the game you almost have to expect a playoff appearance next year.

Methinks he's in the same boat if he sticks with the status quo hoping for better results and they wind up at the same place.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't like all the picks and moves, but I'm on board w/ anything that brings the Auburn offense to St. Louis.

I went with what I believed would allow for the quickest transition to their offense. Got some alternatives?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went with what I believed would allow for the quickest transition to their offense. Got some alternatives?

Yea. Thinking about it, I do. If you want, I can throw something out there in this thread on what I'd do differently with this sort of plan.

Here's one big thing for me that I think we can't ignore. If you read the Brian Schottenheimer thread I made near the end, I point out how the Eagles tempo holds back their defense and makes it appear worse than it is. How would you prevent that with Malzahn's offense?

Also, if RGIII were available for trade, would you trade for him to run this offense? If so, what would you be willing to give up?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yea. Thinking about it, I do. If you want, I can throw something out there in this thread on what I'd do differently with this sort of plan.

Here's one big thing for me that I think we can't ignore. If you read the Brian Schottenheimer thread I made near the end, I point out how the Eagles tempo holds back their defense and makes it appear worse than it is. How would you prevent that with Malzahn's offense?

Also, if RGIII were available for trade, would you trade for him to run this offense? If so, what would you be willing to give up?

Lately, former Ram Bradley Fletcher had done more to hold back their defense and anything else.;)

Anyway, even with tempo, running the football more would swing the time of possession and help the defense, IMO.

To date: Eagles Passing Attempts: 585 / Eagles Rushing Attempts 443

While this is somewhat dependent upon the talent level or how poorly the defense is playing, that would never happen if Malzahn's offense is run the way it is now. And it probably wouldn't even happen in Chip Kelly's offense if he had a QB that could run the ball like he did in college.

And outside of taking a look after an outright release, I'd have no interest in RGIII whatsoever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lately, former Ram Bradley Fletcher had done more to hold back their defense and anything else.;)

Anyway, even with tempo, running the football more would swing the time of possession and help the defense, IMO.

To date: Eagles Passing Attempts: 585 / Eagles Rushing Attempts 443

While this is somewhat dependent upon the talent level or how poorly the defense is playing, that would never happen if Malzahn's offense is run the way it is now. And it probably wouldn't even happen in Chip Kelly's offense if he had a QB that could run the ball like he did in college.

And outside of taking a look after an outright release, I'd have no interest in RGIII whatsoever.

I don't agree. I gotta think moving fast is moving fast.

And Malzahn's Auburn team has had issues with their defense in both years he has been there.

Poor Badley Fletcher. ;)

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't agree. I gotta think moving fast is moving fast.

And Malzahn's Auburn team has had issues with their defense in both years he has been there.

Poor Badley Fletcher. ;)

Moving fast is moving fast, but the clock is still running on runs vs. incomplete passes. Less clock. Less time on the field. AND unless one is fielding a team of fumblers, turnovers putting the defense back on the field should decrease as well.

And I thought that Auburn had a middle of the pack defense this past season and for a couple of seasons he was only OC at Auburn.

Last edited:

wrstdude

Rookie

Not really-lol. I think the biggest "complaint" was not at least bringing in some OL help in FA. Davin Joseph didn't work out, but I think you have to kick the tires on 1 or 2 guys every off-season and hope someone pans out. Not sold on Scherff, & know nothing of Dismukes either, but I'm glad to see OL in 2 of the first 3 picks. I think @jrry32 makes a good point about Cann.

To add on to the run/pass convo. Last season Auburn only passed 29% of the time. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/sec-offensive-balance-week-11/ Would that work in the NFL? Probably not, but I just want to see the creative run game at the NFL level.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not really-lol. I think the biggest "complaint" was not at least bringing in some OL help in FA. Davin Joseph didn't work out, but I think you have to kick the tires on 1 or 2 guys every off-season and hope someone pans out. Not sold on Scherff, & know nothing of Dismukes either, but I'm glad to see OL in 2 of the first 3 picks. I think @jrry32 makes a good point about Cann.

To add on to the run/pass convo. Last season Auburn only passed 29% of the time. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/sec-offensive-balance-week-11/ Would that work in the NFL? Probably not, but I just want to see the creative run game at the NFL level.

I thought about it. But, I noticed that for every Adam Timmerman, this organization seems to find guys like Jake Long, Scott Wells, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Dwayne "Road Grader" White, etc. who never live up to their free agent contracts.

Oh to bring back the days where someone like Jim Hanifan could develop some unknown into a solid starter on the Oline.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Moving fast is moving fast, but the clock is still running on runs vs. incomplete passes. Less clock. Less time on the field. AND unless one is fielding a team of fumblers, turnovers putting the defense back on the field should decrease as well.

And I thought that Auburn had a middle of the pack defense this past season and for a couple of seasons he was only OC at Auburn.

While that's true, you're still moving fast...so it might not rise to the level of Philly but you're still going to force your defense to be on the field more than your typical team.

And Auburn's defense might be middle of the pack for ALL college defenses but they're a bad SEC defense. They're giving up a lot of points this year...IIRC it was above 26 PPG.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, Memphis. If I were going in the direction you want to go, I mainly agree with what you'd do. There are a couple areas where I'd differ:
Fire OC Brian Schottenheimer
Hire OC Rhett Lashlee
Release
Sam Bradford QB
Scott Wells C
Jake Long LT
Kendall Langford DT
Isaiah Pead HB
Eugene Sims DE

Re-sign
Kenny Britt WR
Joe Barksdale OG/OT(going to give him a try at OG)
Rodney McLeod FS
Cory Harkey FB/TE
Lance Kendricks TE
Mike Person OL

Free Agency
Michael Vick QB - Experienced signal caller that played in Kelly's offense...we know he can play at the NFL level in case the other guys can't...but he's injury prone and some will hate it due to his character
Clint Boling OL - Can start if rookie isn't ready...great depth player or a possible starter if Barksdale underwhelms...gotta be ready for injuries on the OL
Leger Douzable DE/DT - Rotational run stopper at DE and DT
C.J. Mosley DT - Rotational run stopper at DT
Tyrod Taylor QB - Great athlete that has show potential in the preseason
Terrelle Pryor QB - Great athlete...might as well stockpile as many guys as we can to figure out who the right guy is

Trade
Zac Stacy for a 6th - Don't think he's a good fit for this sort of offense...Malzahn seems to like HBs that are quicker to the hole and Bennie can take the power HB role

NFL Draft
1. T.J. Clemmings OT Pittsburgh - Can play OG if needed but has the potential to be a monster OT...amazing athlete that is devastating on WR screens due to his speed and fluidity...can also block extremely effectively on the second level and when blocking down...ideal fit for Malzahn's O...Barksdale moves into the RG spot...if he can't handle it, Clemmings or Boling can handle RG and Barksdale will be the swing OT or will move back to RT
2. Reese Dismukes C Auburn - Ideal fit in the scheme and there's no reason to risk him falling to the 3rd...knows the offense already which should help
3. Devontae Booker HB Utah - I think he's an ideal fit in Malzahn's scheme. Quick to the hole, effective at pressing the LOS, decisive with great vision, and excellent hands in the passing game...ideal runner for all the zone plays that Malzahn likes to use
4. Mark Barron trade
5. Rob Havenstein OG/OT Wisconsin - More OL depth...experience in Wisconsin's ZBS...HUGE guy with a lot of power in the run game
6. J.J. Nelson WR UAB - Have had him in a number of mocks...can absolutely fly and an incredible returnman...I think Malzahn will value his speed on special teams and offense...dangerous guy for WR screens and jet sweeps
6. Mark Barron trade
Comp 6. Nick Marshall QB Auburn - Knows the offense and we keep stockpiling QBs to make sure we come away with the right guys to open the season...freaky athlete with a strong arm
7. Blake Sims QB Alabama - Same as above except for knowing the offense

Offensive Starters
QB: Mike Vick
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Brian Quick
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Reese Dismukes
RG: Joe Barksdale
RT: T.J. Clemmings

ausmurp

Starter
Well it is definitely out there. I would much rather pay Trestman top OC dollar and bring in an athletic pocket QB from the draft like Hogan or Petty. I personally hate the running mobile QB it just has not worked through out history in the NFL. I'm not saying you can't have an athletic QB who can make plays outside pocket like Rodgers or Luck though. In fact having a mobile QB who is not very good in the pocket has only worked twice with Redskins and Seahawks lone SB wins - no other year has a non pocket QB won a SB. Sure there has been some success lately but more success comes from traditional pocket QB balanced or throw first offense especially these days.

If the Rams made yet another terrible front office decision like this it would be hard for us to continue watching the added collection of losing seasons that would inevitably come from it. I shudder at the thought lol.

ausmurp

Starter
While we do have a top 10ish or so D, it does not play at a consistent level. Even if we are lucky and improve more on D as the years go, our window is 3 - 4 years and it would be a terrible idea to reset the offense at this point. I would bring in a new OC who runs a balanced offense like Trestman - he is our best option to revive Bradford and coach up a new QB we draft. I see where you are going with the a new college offense unseen in the NFL but with Fisher as HC it just wouldn't work. Chip Kelly is doing it as the HC and he forces his players to work out twice as hard as any other team in the NFL using a lot of sports science. Fisher lets our guys have days off and such, I just don't see it working.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Memphis Ram I don't see much SEC football. Mahlzans offense was new last year and this being the second year is there any indication that teams (good ones like Alabama) are catching up with how to defend it?

I say this because being relatively new I am not convinced that it is all that great to begin with. If it perserveres for a few more years then I will say "Hell yeah, Bring it on!" but at this point I am reluctant.

I do agree with you that frustration has set in and I want to see some drastic change, but there is now way to guarantee that it is good change. I like the idea of a sweeping, bold stroke but I am just not convinced at this juncture that it will fly. The Jets tried a few years ago to go with the power run game by drafting some kickass Olinemen and it did get them to the playoffs but against good defenses it didn't pan out and running the QB is always risky in the NFL.

If the Rams went with a more run oriented offense I would just as soon they draft Winston and put all of their other chips in the Oline to make it happen, a la Dallas and the great GM mind of Jurrah Jones.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memphis Ram I don't see much SEC football. Mahlzans offense was new last year and this being the second year is there any indication that teams (good ones like Alabama) are catching up with how to defend it?

I say this because being relatively new I am not convinced that it is all that great to begin with. If it perserveres for a few more years then I will say "Hell yeah, Bring it on!" but at this point I am reluctant.

I do agree with you that frustration has set in and I want to see some drastic change, but there is now way to guarantee that it is good change. I like the idea of a sweeping, bold stroke but I am just not convinced at this juncture that it will fly. The Jets tried a few years ago to go with the power run game by drafting some kickass Olinemen and it did get them to the playoffs but against good defenses it didn't pan out and running the QB is always risky in the NFL.

If the Rams went with a more run oriented offense I would just as soon they draft Winston and put all of their other chips in the Oline to make it happen, a la Dallas and the great GM mind of Jurrah Jones.

The offense isn't new at all. With a tweak here and there it's the same offense Auburn had when the won the National Championship with Cam Newton years ago. BTW, Auburn last game was vs. Alabama in the Iron Bowl. They scored 44 points and could had more if not for drops.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well it is definitely out there. I would much rather pay Trestman top OC dollar and bring in an athletic pocket QB from the draft like Hogan or Petty. I personally hate the running mobile QB it just has not worked through out history in the NFL. I'm not saying you can't have an athletic QB who can make plays outside pocket like Rodgers or Luck though. In fact having a mobile QB who is not very good in the pocket has only worked twice with Redskins and Seahawks lone SB wins - no other year has a non pocket QB won a SB. Sure there has been some success lately but more success comes from traditional pocket QB balanced or throw first offense especially these days.

If the Rams made yet another terrible front office decision like this it would be hard for us to continue watching the added collection of losing seasons that would inevitably come from it. I shudder at the thought lol.

IMO, a horrible decision would be to bring in a pass happy OC like Trestman.

ausmurp

Starter
IMO, a horrible decision would be to bring in a pass happy OC like Trestman.

but why do you think that horrible? Passing is where the league is forcing teams to go. We have been fighting against that mantra but we shouldn't be. Ryan Tannihil threw over 30 tds man. Even more ridiculous, Ryan Fitzpatrick had a very good season lol. The league is changing rules and calling penalties in a way that make passing easier to do than commit to being run first...

Memphis Ram

Legend
but why do you think that horrible? Passing is where the league is forcing teams to go. We have been fighting against that mantra but we shouldn't be. Ryan Tannihil threw over 30 tds man. Even more ridiculous, Ryan Fitzpatrick had a very good season lol. The league is changing rules and calling penalties in a way that make passing easier to do than commit to being run first...

Passing may be where the league is forcing team to go, it only works if you have a suitable QB which most teams do not.

Besides, they've already got a pass happy OC in Schottenhiemer. Besides, Tannihill and Fitzpatrick are sitting at home and out of the postseason with Brees, Ryan, Manning (Eli), Rivers, and our Rams.