MR:2015 Rams Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
COACHING STAFF CHANGES

OUT: OC Brian Schottenhiemer

Schottenhiemer did some good things with the talent on hand, but in order to take this team to the next level, the Rams need to make a some changes.

IN: OC Rhett Lashlee (Auburn)

Time for this team to focus more on running the football and who better than to Gus Malzahn’s right hand man to implement the change.

This change may lead to other changes on the offensive coaching staff that the organization should be able to figure out to implement the new offense.

VETERAN PERSONNEL MOVES

OUT (via free agency, outright release, or trade): Davin Joseph, Shaun Hill, Alex Carrington, Austin Davis, Isaiah Pead, Scott Wells, Jake Long, & YES Sam Bradford.

This is the part of my plan that most will scoff at and probably stop reading and believe me, I understand. :D I really like Sam Bradford. I really believe that he has the talent to be an effective NFL QB. And if he can stay healthy, he will probably go on to have a decent career.

BUT:
- At his best, I don’t believe that he is a difference maker.
- And while I’ve fought the good fight, I really have little to no confidence in him staying healthy. Availability is a HUGE part of being THE GUY at the position in a traditional offense which requires a pocket passer and he will have missed 31 of the team’s last 80 games.
- Finally, the new offense would probably get him killed if it's run to it’s max capabilities.

Note: Most have Kendall Langford listed as on the way out, but I’d try to extend him at a cheaper salary cap rate and keep the Beast DLine strong.

IN:
Re-Signings: Kenny Britt, Lance Kendricks, Joe Barksdale, Corey Harkey

I believe that each of these guys will be great in the new offense and that none of them have really done that much to have any other team break the bank for their services.

Big Time Free Agent Additions: No One

Overall, these haven’t really panned out too well. In fact, has one even come close to living up to his contract? Sure the Rams should try to find some bargains, but unless someone like Darrelle Revis could be had to lock down the opposing team’s best WR and make this defense REALLY dominant, the focus of this off-season should be on re-signing the players listed above and extending some of the soon to be 2016 free agents like Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, and maybe even the earlier mentioned Kendall Langford.

Lesser Known Free Agent Additions: QB Tyrelle Pryor (Street), QB Tyrod Taylor (UFA Ravens)

In the new offense, QBs now have to contribute to the running game. These names wouldn’t excite anyone not familiar with the new offensive scheme, but said scheme allows the Rams the opportunity to take advantage of the glut of talented available QBs who don’t fit the typical and traditional drop back, pocket passer model non-creative OCs of NFL teams prefer. I’m throwing these names out because they were the first two that came to mind, but it would be up to Lashlee to determine who can best run his offense. And I believe that he can do it as he taught Nick Marshall (an incoming junior college transfer who played CB as a freshman at Georiga) the offense without the benefit of spring practices. Yes, he learned it that Fall and was in the National Championship Game.

With the loss, I‘m now guessing that the Rams will be selecting somewhere between 10-16. And ideally, the goal would be for the team to trade down and acquire more picks. But, for the sake of this mock draft there are no trades listed.

Round 1) Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa
Brandon-Scherff.jpg

Currently playing OT, but has the potential to be an All-Pro interior lineman.

Round 2) D’Haquille “Duke” Williams, WR, Auburn
15773015-mmmain.jpg

Reminds me of a slightly faster Anquan Boldin. And he knows the offense.

Round 3) Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
9360533.jpeg

Some say he’s the best run blocking center in the draft. And he knows the offense.

4) Traded to Tampa Bay for Mark Barron

Round 5) Nick Marshall, QB, Auburn
ncf_g_nick-marshall_mb_600.jpg

Rocket Arm. 4.40/40 speed. Elusive. If this were 2001, he’d be Michael Vick.
And Yes. Again……He knows the offense

6) Traded to Tampa Bay for Mark Barron[/b]

7) Traded to Alanta to complete Olgetree trade down

Round 7) Blake Sims, QB, Alabama
blake-sims.jpg

Smart one year starter with similar measurables and skills to Marshall to compete

Undrafted Free Agency:

Rams should be able to have their pick of Auburn Seniors, like speedy RB Corey Grant, quick wideout Quan Bray, TE/H-Back Brandon Fulse, etc…

None of this will probably even come close to happening, because it takes some guts to pull off. But, this was a fun exercise and I really believe could take this team to the next level.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Coming around on Sims.

Poor man's Russell Wilson?

At any rate...

All that Auburn....o_O

And no Malzahn. :eek:

But, maybe I'm weird, but this strange and extreme draft is my favorite so far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have major issues with Scherff. I've seen him get abused at times this year as pass blocker. If I were going OG, I'd rather trade down.

Watch the Maryland game if you have time. Scherff got absolutely embarrassed in that game...especially by the bullrush.

It really made me question him...even as an OG.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have major issues with Scherff. I've seen him get abused at times this year as pass blocker. If I were going OG, I'd rather trade down.

Watch the Maryland game if you have time. Scherff got absolutely embarrassed in that game...especially by the bullrush.

It really made me question him...even as an OG.

IMO, the plans works just as well with Lael Collins.

But, I'd be more concerned about him at OT than OG. He's far more susceptible to the bull rush on the outside, IMO, as he can get caught cheating outside in his sets.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the plans works just as well with Lael Collins.

But, I'd be more concerned about him at OT than OG. He's far more susceptible to the bull rush on the outside, IMO, as he can get caught cheating outside in his sets.

He plays high when pass protecting (ankle and hip flexibility aren't great) and overextends himself on his punches because he's trying to compensate for his arm length. It's not as much of an issue inside but it's still an issue. Watching Scherff play, I don't see a NFL OT...doesn't have the lateral agility, kick-slide, ability to redirect, and balance outside among other things.

Which begs the question...why take him in the mid first when you can get a guy like A.J. Cann in the 2nd who is falling mainly because he is a pure OG?

I think Collins stands a much better chance of staying outside than Scherff...but even with Collins, I don't see a guy that is going to be so much better than Cann at OG that we should take him 20 spots sooner. Personally, if you're looking PURELY for an OG, I could see you taking Scherff over Collins.

But, and you're welcome to disagree, if you're looking for purely an OG...I think A.J. Cann is every bit as good as those two and can be had later.

You know how obsessed I am with value. ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
He plays high when pass protecting (ankle and hip flexibility aren't great) and overextends himself on his punches because he's trying to compensate for his arm length. It's not as much of an issue inside but it's still an issue. Watching Scherff play, I don't see a NFL OT...doesn't have the lateral agility, kick-slide, ability to redirect, and balance outside among other things.

Which begs the question...why take him in the mid first when you can get a guy like A.J. Cann in the 2nd who is falling mainly because he is a pure OG?

I think Collins stands a much better chance of staying outside than Scherff...but even with Collins, I don't see a guy that is going to be so much better than Cann at OG that we should take him 20 spots sooner. Personally, if you're looking PURELY for an OG, I could see you taking Scherff over Collins.

But, and you're welcome to disagree, if you're looking for purely an OG...I think A.J. Cann is every bit as good as those two and can be had later.

You know how obsessed I am with value. ;)

Scherff would be drafted to play OG, just like former college OT Zach Martin was drafted to play OG. He's a good first round value to me because in a pinch he could shift outside to OT. Cann cannot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scherff would be drafted to play OG, just like former college OT Zach Martin was drafted to play OG. He's a good first round value to me because in a pinch he could shift outside to OT. Cann cannot.

If you're shifting Scherff outside, you're going to be sorry. I don't see the value in that. If it were a guy that legitimately could play OT at a solid or even high level, I'd get it. But Scherff is a NFL OG. He'll be abused at OT unless he SIGNIFICANTLY improves.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You don't think Dallas will eventually move him to T?
Just as they did with Larry Allen.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You don't think Dallas will eventually move him to T?
Just as they did with Larry Allen.

They might. Not sure. Surely not at LT though. That position is well in hand.

If you're shifting Scherff outside, you're going to be sorry. I don't see the value in that. If it were a guy that legitimately could play OT at a solid or even high level, I'd get it. But Scherff is a NFL OG. He'll be abused at OT unless he SIGNIFICANTLY improves.

Even if your take is correct, improvement is very well possible. BTW, one must consider the type of offense I'm suggesting. I don't need a superior pass protector at OT.

All that said, I wonder about HGH with Scherff. That's going to take some monitoring.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They might. Not sure. Surely not at LT though. That position is well in hand.

Even if your take is correct, improvement is very well possible. BTW, one must consider the type of offense I'm suggesting. I don't need a superior pass protector at OT.

All that said, I wonder about HGH with Scherff. That's going to take some monitoring.

It's possible but based on where he's at now, I wouldn't want him playing OT. He seems overmatched in space and I would hate to see what a guy like Quinn or Aldon Smith could do to him.

Whether or not you need superior pass protecting at OT, you still need pass protecting.

Memphis Ram

Legend
QB competition. I've got rookies Nick Marshall & Blake Sims and "veterans" Tyrelle Pryor and Tyrod Taylor as potential options.

Auburn coaches taught Marshall this offense with only fall practices (No Spring) last year and they went to the National Championship vs. Florida State.

duckhunter

Starter
If you can have two and three headed options at RB, maybe the same at QB. Play the hot hand. There's plenty of QBs coming out of college who fit the mold.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh lord....OC from Auburn? Sims & Marshall...umm, watch real QB is action during this playoffs & all the bowl games and tell me if you feel the same way....

FRO

Legend
QB competition. I've got rookies Nick Marshall & Blake Sims and "veterans" Tyrelle Pryor and Tyrod Taylor as potential options.

Auburn coaches taught Marshall this offense with only fall practices (No Spring) last year and they went to the National Championship vs. Florida State.
You have to have a competent passing game in the nfl to win. None of those QBs will give us that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Oh lord....OC from Auburn? Sims & Marshall...umm, watch real QB is action during this playoffs & all the bowl games and tell me if you feel the same way....

I did...last year when Auburn, with Marshall at QB (who had just learned the offense that fall) came within seconds away from winning the National Championship.

And I saw how Seattle didn't win the Super Bowl last year on the arm of Russell Wilson. He only threw for 103, 215, and 206 yards that whole postseason. But, what he did do was keep drives alive with his feet playing what some might call playground football. In fact, last year's Championship Game featured the two starting QBs with the fewest passing attempts in the entire league.

In general, playoff football is about trench warfare via running the football and DEFENSE. You don't have to have this traditional pocket passer to be successful. But, you do have to have someone who can kept drives alive one way or the other.

I know that many have been blinded to the contrary, but that's the way it is. This is partially why Manning for all of his passing records and such only has one Super Bowl ring. And he wouldn't even have that, if his team hadn't run for almost 200 yards in that Super Bowl and Grossman didn't keep turning the ball over (passing game). It's why Elway for all of his records only has two. And that doesn't happen minus the running game provided by Terrell Davis. And perhaps, the best QB I've ever seen in Dan Marino in my life has none.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
You have to have a competent passing game in the nfl to win. None of those QBs will give us that.

In a traditional offense? Probably not.

But, I refuse to allow myself to be blinded into thinking that NFL teams have to copy each other to have success. Colin Kaepernick was in the last 2 Championship Games and almost won a Super Bowl. IMO, if he can do it, so can these guys in the right system with the right players around them.

But, you can't go into this thinking that a team has to run a traditional NFL offense where the QB makes most of his plays from the pocket scanning the field and deciphering coverages. That is not their game. Sure they will have to make some plays from the pocket, but these guys will win in the passing game taking shots down the field off of play-action, rolling out with a run pass option, dumping off passes to RBs in the flat, etc..

I'm hopeful that Jeff Fisher can think back and remember that the late Steve McNair didn't get him to the Super Bowl via his pocket passing. It was the defense, the running game (including McNairs runs), and his improvisational talents that keep plays alive and kept the chains moving.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
In a traditional offense? Probably not.

But, I refuse to allow myself to be blinded into thinking that NFL teams have to copy each other to have success. Colin Kaepernick was in the last 2 Championship Games and almost won a Super Bowl. IMO, if he can do it, so can these guys in the right system with the right players around them.

But, you can't go into this thinking that a team has to run a traditional NFL offense where the QB makes most of his plays from the pocket scanning the field and deciphering coverages. That is not their game. Sure they will have to make some plays from the pocket, but these guys will win in the passing game taking shots down the field off of play-action, rolling out with a run pass option, dumping off passes to RBs in the flat, etc..

I'm hopeful that Jeff Fisher can think back and remember that the late Steve McNair didn't get him to the Super Bowl via his pocket passing. It was the defense, the running game (including McNairs runs), and his improvisational talents that keep plays alive and kept the chains moving.
I understand the point you are making, but Marshall misses too many throws in college. In order for this type of offense to work you have to throw the ball. The NFL will figure out the attack and stop it easily if it's one dimensional.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I understand the point you are making, but Marshall misses too many throws in college. In order for this type of offense to work you have to throw the ball. The NFL will figure out the attack and stop it easily if it's one dimensional.

So did Michael Vick at Virginia Tech. In fact, I'd say he more accurate now than Vick was then.

But sure, he'd probably have days where he misses on some throws. But, he could also have some Iron Bowl 2014 days, too. Either way, he can be helped via personnel and game planning.

Personnel example? Big physical targets with large wingspans. Guys whom if he throws it to his area he's coming down with it (See my 2nd round choice). Game plan example? Again, play him to his strengths and gear his attempts more towards passes he throws best. Even a short passing game with higher percentage passes could work like a charm. Andy Reid (creativity) screened and dumped off passes to RBs to death with an inaccurate McNabb at the helm (RB Brian Westbrook may have had 60-70 receptions per year). And they scored a buttload of points. Either way, this guy has a rocket of an arm to make plays down the field that defenses have to respect. Besides, what a team losing in the passing game, they more than make up with his legs via planned runs or scrambles keep plays alive.

Plus it's not like the guy can't improve with coaching. Again, he spent his freshman year playing CB at Georgia.

Last edited: