Moving Ogletree to OLB in 3-4??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For the guys advocating for this either this year or next, help me understand how this would work.

I'm under the impression that an outside LB in the 3-4 needs to rush the passer, set the edge in the run game and drop into coverage.

I only see Ogletree being capable of one of these things consistently: dropping into coverage. I don't see him having the size or strength to set the edge on the outside at all. He'd get destroyed in the run game out there. Additionally, would he really be able to have the size and strength and bend to consistently beat a tackle to the quarterback???

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought about it too. He doesn't need to be big to play OLB and he is plenty athletic. I don't know how well he could bend around the edge and rush the passer. I don't recall him in position to do it. I would like to see him try though, and wish Wade would too, just to see.

But I do have the same concerns about his ability to set the edge and shut down the run. If he can stay off blocks on the edge then maybe he can handle it.

I still don't think his play warranted the new contract. I am for anything that could get more out of him.

TexasRam

Legend
I think he lacks the instincts for ILB. And maybe the technique and ability to shed blocks.

I think his best fit is 4-3 outside linebacker.

He could potentially be better in a 3-4 system at OLB than ILB. Guys like Joey Porter and others have played the position well at around 245 lbs which is what I think Olgeltree is playing at.

I like his burst. But setting the edge, not sure he has the strength or ability to do that. But he could get to the QB and be in double digit sacks.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I agree that Ogletree is a little too small to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He's probably also a little small for his current position as "Mike" (strong) inside linebacker.

I think he is the perfect size for the Will Linebacker (weak inside LB) position that Barron currently plays. The Will Linebacker is supposed to flow to the ball and usually makes the most tackles in a 3-4.

But it seems Barron isn't going anywhere anytime soon so the point is moot.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was a little surprised when they extended him knowing a deal's gotta get done with Donald. Maybe they're seeing something we're not. They the experts. I'll just have to defer to that. Maybe there was a learning curve for Wade's defense and they feel he's getting it now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I was a little surprised when they extended him knowing a deal's gotta get done with Donald. Maybe they're seeing something we're not. They the experts. I'll just have to defer to that. Maybe there was a learning curve for Wade's defense and they feel he's getting it now.
I'm having a hard time paying him after that missed tackle on Elliott, tried grabbing him around the neck and couldn't even get him out of bounds. Elite MLB's make that play and get Elliott out of bounds.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Upon further study and reflection, I’ve changed my stance on Ogletree a bit. While I still see his natural skill-set as a WIL in a 4/3, I’m coming to understand Wade’s thinking here.

Alec’s responsibilities on any given play could be to fill a couple rush lanes, pursue a ball carrier to the edge, rush the QB, cover a TE down the seam if a safety is called to blitz or shade a boundary, mirror a running QB, diagnose and adjust to play action, or cover a back wheeling for a checkdown. Um, he better be fast, physical, smart, and a leader. While we all want more of a thumper in the middle, most of those guys would get exposed in coverage. There are just not many Luke Kuechlys or Bobby Wagners in the NFL.

While he sucks at shedding blocks, fortunately Wade doesn’t put him in a role where he is regularly expected to do so. Missed tackles? That’s what happens when a LB gets fooled and has to adjust his technique to make contact on a tackle. He’s made hundreds of form tackles in his life...I think he knows how. And if anyone here thinks his missed tackle on Zeke was deplorable, understand most middle backers don’t have the range to even get a fingernail on Elliott barreling down the sideline. Should he have gone lower? Absolutely. But as the entire defense becomes adept at fulfilling their responsibilities, situations like that will diminish.

Finally, Alec is a master at stripping the football. And if Wade and Sean put their stamp on him as being a true leader...I’m not one to argue.