Moving forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd like to say that this loss was especially tough to take. The lead felt like it was going to expand and then someone hit a reset button on the game.

In any event...somethings that I'd like to comment on about the team going forward.

Janoris Jenkins seems to give up big plays a lot. It sure seemed Kaepernick was really looking his way all night. I keep wanting Jenkins to breakout as a shut down corner, but I just don't think it's in the cards. He can be a good player but I don't think he is a bonafide number 1 corner. When Johnson gets back I'd just assume he starts over Jenkins.

Tre Mason finally gets an opportunity and played well. I'm confused why the Rams went away from him after his initial success. The same can be questioned about abandoning the involvement Tavon Austin had.

Can anyone comment on how Robinson looked? At times from my seat it looked like the line was playing well...at others not so much.

Jared Cook...sigh, his physicality at times gets you extremely excited...other times his inconsistency is frustrating. Lance Kendricks though scored a TD last night almost seems to be the forgotten man. I believe he is a FA this offseason and I almost expect him to walk. I think it would be advantages for the Rams to look for another TE in the draft to really push Cook in the passing game...someone with good hands please.

Linebacker is another position that I think really needs to start being looked at. Lauranaitis is still our best LB and he isn't getting any younger. Ogletree just hasn't been a difference maker but he's obviously got time to develop still. Dunbar isn't getting younger either and his best football might actually already be over.

Tre Mason...again, looked great with the ball in his hands. He ran violently, decisive, and elusively. I sure would like to see him a lot more going forward.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Jenkins is totally incapable of covering Boldin, he has never been able to cover him. The dline is a huge concern, what is going on with that group? It seemef that Robinson did pretty well for his first start, the rest of the line im not too sure about. Mason hit the hole really fast, hopefully they keep giving him more opportunities. The defense as a whole is maddeningly inconsistent, they were able to stop the run but couldnt stop the passing game for the life of them. I dont know what the answers are but this season is quickly heading towards playing for next year again.

fancents86

Starter
Kendrick's is the better TE IMO. He blocks better and has better hands. No way I'd get rid of him before Cook. Kendrick's dropped a few, but Cook dropped a ton in the 3rd and 4th.

Also Watts outplayed Mason in preseason, so I'm not sure what prior success you're talking about.

fearsomefour

Legend
The thing that is a mystery to me is why simple stunts give the Rams line such fits. In the case of Wells maybe he just cant move laterally anymore (see Dahl last year). In the case of the rest they should be able to handle it. I thought Robinson was solid enough, no reason to sit him again.
Jenkins can run but he is so susceptible to the double move it is just bad at times. I still like him as a player however. When Johnson returns to full strength the secondary can be a strength.
I have beaten the Cook drum too much already.
Sadly, heading into this years draft it seems Oline will be a priority again.
I dont think any team in the NFL is so much more talented to just line up and beat teams head to head, there needs to be scheming. The Rams seems to get out quickly sometimes (Dallas, last night) then when they take a shot they just cannot answer back.
That TD with 14 seconds left before the half is one of THE low points in the last 10 years....and that really is saying something. Play safeties deep is just common sense, rush 4 and cover. As Steve Young said after the game that is "Jr. High football".
Perhaps Williams is delusional about what is happening.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kendrick's is the better TE IMO. He blocks better and has better hands. No way I'd get rid of him before Cook. Kendrick's dropped a few, but Cook dropped a ton in the 3rd and 4th.

Also Watts outplayed Mason in preseason, so I'm not sure what prior success you're talking about.

In yesterdays game. He had a couple touches early with success...then they didn't go back to him until much later.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I still dont understand how they let that touchdown happen, you play prevent defense and let them run the clock out. And on top of it llyod is the only deep threat they have how can you not have the safety over the top of him?

lockdnram21

Legend

Cook looked great yesterday. Mason looked like the best back we have yesterday. Stacy looked terrible

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cook looked great yesterday. Mason looked like the best back we have yesterday. Stacy looked terrible
Cook looked great for about the first drive or two...then looked terrible for the remainder of the game.

fearsomefour

Legend
I still dont understand how they let that touchdown happen, you play prevent defense and let them run the clock out. And on top of it llyod is the only deep threat they have how can you not have the safety over the top of him?
Agreed. No excuse. It is just dumb, bad football by Williams. Maybe he has visions of a pic six in the last half minute.
His play calling on D reminds me a of a guy trying to hit a 5 run home run with one man on.

V3

Hall of Fame
Kendricks looked like a fool on at least one occasion blocking at the line. He wasn't the only TE that looked awful at pass blocking, though.

GRob had a mixed performance, IMO. Some things looked good, while other times he missed his guy or looked reluctant. He needs playing time. He's going to make mistakes. At least let him learn from them. He's going to learn a lot more playing against players like Justin Smith than our practice squad.

Once Trumaine Johnson gets back, I'd like to see if Jenkins looks better in the slot than outside. Move Joyner to FS and Gaines takes JJ's spot. I'd at least try it. We have nothing to lose at this point.

Stacey looks much slower and doesn't seem to have the vision or quickness he displayed last year. I could tell pretty easily when Cunningham came in. Mason has the most burst, though. I'm worried about his ability to block due to his size even with proper technique. If he bulks up, will he still have that burst?

I thought Ogletree would take a big step this year. I was wrong. He seems disinterested. I thought JL looked really slow and clumsy. I know people love him but he just isn't what I want from a MLB. We need more than what he gives us at this point.

OL and LB are our biggest needs, IMO. Depending on how things turn out, QB, NT, and CB could be on the list as well.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think they need to cut way back on the blitzes. If they aren't going to sack the qb anyways they might as well have better coverage instead of leaving the corners on an island and not getting to the qb.

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The broadcast did a good job highlighting Kendricks' whiff block attempts. Saying he blocks better than Cook is like saying Rosie O'Donnell is thinner than Kirstie Alley -- neither are good blockers, Cook is horrible and Kendricks inconsistent at best. Kendricks is gone, Bayer will replace him next year -- which is a lateral move since Bayer hasn't shown any better blocking ability, but he can score like Kendricks. We are stuck with Cook until 2016 since his free agent contract was one of the worst ever in the salary cap era. In short, next year we are likely in the same exact boat. This is maddening since the easy fix has been to get a true lead blocking FB which would enable Harkey, the best blocker, to spend the majority of time blocking in line. But as the Rams showed with finally using a jumbo set now instead of last season, they usually get around to fixing the obvious a year too late.

fancents86

Starter
The broadcast did a good job highlighting Kendricks' whiff block attempts. Saying he blocks better than Cook is like saying Rosie O'Donnell is thinner than Kirstie Alley -- neither are good blockers, Cook is horrible and Kendricks inconsistent at best. Kendricks is gone, Bayer will replace him next year -- which is a lateral move since Bayer hasn't shown any better blocking ability, but he can score like Kendricks. We are stuck with Cook until 2016 since his free agent contract was one of the worst ever in the salary cap era. In short, next year we are likely in the same exact boat. This is maddening since the easy fix has been to get a true lead blocking FB which would enable Harkey, the best blocker, to spend the majority of time blocking in line. But as the Rams showed with finally using a jumbo set now instead of last season, they usually get around to fixing the obvious a year too late.
You're Going off one game. Last year we all witnessed Cooks terrible blocking ability, and it got a lot better once Kendrick's stepped in late last season. Kendrick's did get dominated in a few blocks last night, but I can't throw him under the bus over one game. He's been a game saver in the past.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The same can be questioned about abandoning the involvement Tavon Austin had.

It's mind boggling. Every time he has a handful of successful plays they remove him from the gameplan entirely. When a player has a "hot hand" that night, you continue to find a way to get him the fucking ball.

WHY IN THE FUCK DID WE MOVE UP IN THE DRAFT AGAIN TO GET THIS KID???

If you think he's a good player, but you know you won't use him then fine... DON'T FUCKING DRAFT HIM THEN.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm about done with Jenkins. It's obvious week in and week out that he's among the most gullible DBs in the game.

Barnes needs to start. He's not the greatest, but at least we'd be watching poor C play from a guy who's still got a shot to get better. Robinson needs to keep starting.

Schotty should be done here. Williams needs to be done here, barring a turnaround of epic size. The worst thing that could happen is that we get slightly better and go 7-9 again and these two retain their jobs.

Safety remains a problem, since it seems the beginning of time.

Between the 4 RBs, I think we've got enough talent there. Two power backs, two shifty big play style backs. I'm actually happy with all 4, although like most young RBs pass blocking could improve.

QB needs to be addressed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In no particular order, and much of this stuff remains the same as previous weeks btw:

Center needs to improve. Barnes is not a starter and never will be. Wells is done. The question is whether Jones can save our bacon there. Can he get off the injury list and then stay healthy? I think he could be the missing link in the middle, but then again I am admittedly a moronic optimist with this team for some reason.

LT is probably going to be filled by GRob sooner vice later too, but for now just gonna hope Long improves as the season goes on.

The book on Davis: take away his preferred go-to option Quick and blitz/pressure him. 9ers didn't do that early and he ate them up. When he doesn't have Quick he's easier to get off the field, and he struggles with the blitz/pressure. Way forward with the offense requires him to do a better job and learn from struggles.

Mason is without a doubt the most talented back on this roster, no change there IMO. More snaps for him is good for this team. Explosive plays are what this offense needs more of. It was nice to see him come out and run as hard as he did, shouldn't be too much whining about him being drafted now. I keep saying that Fisher is full of BS, he has always preferred to have a horse he gives the snaps to, and is still looking for that horse. Mason will be the guy at some point, and will start getting most snaps once he proves himself.

I just don't like Cook. The dude is mentally weak and while I'm on that topic there are a lot of mentally weak players on this roster judging from their inability to "set their jaw" as Harbaugh termed it. One swing the wrong way on momentum and these guys are running off the cliff like lemmings. Anyway, Cook is overrated, overpaid, and inconsistent. I want to see Bayer get some of his opportunities in the passing game dangit. Bayer can help this team, and yes I know I'll be saying this for the next six weeks at least I am sure.

Bailey. Many of us keep saying this too, feel like a broken record. Remove Quick and the other guys are up and down. We need another receiving weapon out there that can be counted on consistently to help Davis out. Bailey can provide that, give the dude a chance to be a key part of the offense. Pettis is garbage, dude is a depth possession option only. Britt can make plays but I don't think he's as consistent as he could be. Tavon is great in space but I don't trust his hands from the perspective of ensuring Davis has a strong second option he can count on. Bailey is the guy, why is it so hard to understand that?

Ogletree is struggling with the way this scheme is called, at least from where I am sitting. Right now he looks like he's thinking too much, so I have no idea when he'll get it together if ever. Way forward on defense is going to be much easier if he can start playing loose. Same old story here too, btw.

God we need Tru back. Jenks needs some bench time, IMO. Tru was our best CB at the end of last season in my esimation, getting him back will be a big boost. I am flat tired of seeing Jenks brainfart at the worst possible time, he is a liability still and needs to feel some pine.

When does Chris Long return? This team needs him badly. There are only two legit playmakers on the DL right now: Quinn and Donald. All the others are garbage. JAGs. Chris will give them 3/4 on that line and put this defense back on the map.

Not gonna get into offseason stuff yet, but clearly the Rams are gonna need to draft some effin OL and a more physical and instinctive OLB at a minimum in this upcoming draft. Probably QB too, but gonna wait and see how Davis responds vs another strong defense that will pressure him and take Quick away.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Less blitzing. less relying on jenkins, more up tempo offense. maybe tim walton had it right with the bend and sometimes break defense last year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Less blitzing. less relying on jenkins, more up tempo offense. maybe tim walton had it right with the bend and sometimes break defense last year.
Well, if our metaphor of Williams as the defensive McDaniels is true, that would make Walton the defensive Pat "hated, but got better results from Bradford than anyone else" Shurmur... ;)