Most Worrying Stat For Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Yes the O is poor, I don't think there's any denying that, but for me the most worrying stat is that outside of a 2 game stretch where we played the worst O in the NFL (49ers), and an O which if the averages continue will be 2 points on the entire season away from the second worst O in the NFL (Browns) our D has conceded an average of 24.4 points, which would be good for the 19th best scoring D in the league.

Maybe I'm just cherry picking a stat, (and I hate the "If you take out the good you're left with the bad" argument) but it seems the only time we can reliably stop an opponent's O is when we're playing against absolute cack.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Are you looking at offensive scoring against the Rams only? I don't think so at first glance. They held Steelers to 12, Seattle to 18, and Green Bay to 17.

The D blew it on Sunday. They also aren't scoring at all and are slumping in sacks. They are still the very last of my worries.

You know what worries me? Every time we win TA has more than 5 touches. Every... single... time.

And against the Bears he gets............wait for it.............wait for it.............FIVE.

Another is that somehow Gurley gets 12 rushes against a poor rushing D?! What?! Are they kidding me?!

1363588445823567319.GIF

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Are you looking at offensive scoring against the Rams only? I don't think so at first glance. They held Steelers to 12, Seattle to 18, and Green Bay to 17.

The D blew it on Sunday. They also aren't scoring at all and are slumping in sacks. They are still the very last of my worries.

You know what worries me? Every time we win TA has more than 5 touches. Every... single... time. And against the Bears he gets............wait for it.............wait for it.............FIVE.

Another is that somehow Gurley gets 12 rushes against a poor rushing D?! What?! Are they kidding me?!

1363588445823567319.GIF
It's funny you mention Austins 5 touches. His touchdown that was called back would have put him at 6 total touches and a 14-7 lead. The game probably looks a lot different after that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's funny you mention Austins 5 touches. His touchdown that was called back would have put him at 6 total touches and a 14-7 lead. The game probably looks a lot different after that.

True. He had a 1st down called back too if I recall. That's still no reason they can't find intelligent and effective ways to get him the ball after that. They just don't.

And 12 runs for Gurley? He's just warming up at 15! Sad.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Hard to get touches for your guys when you're going 3 and out every sequence and the QB is overthrowing every pass. I swear, guys like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones have more actual CATCHES by themselves than our entire receiving corps has targets each game. It's pathetic.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
True. He had a 1st down called back too if I recall. That's still no reason they can't find intelligent and effective ways to get him the ball after that. They just don't.

And 12 runs for Gurley? He's just warming up at 15! Sad.

I'm with you. The fact that Gurley only got 5 total touches in the second half should get Cignetti chewed the hell out.

Psycho_X

Legend
The defense played awful Sunday, can't sugar coat it. But overall I've been happy with them. They are on the field a loooooooooong time every game. Plus, we've had injuries to a lot of our studs. Quinn has been slowed with a nagging knee injury (the way he goes in and out of practice wouldn't be surprised if he has cartilage clean up that needs done in the offseason), Long been out since GB, Tree out, McDonald out last week, etc. The D has had a couple bad games against inferior teams for some reason (Bears, Redskins) but overall they've played playoff caliber football imo.

Debacled

Starter
The defense will get run down with the offense doing noting but 3 downs and punt, 3 downs and punt, 3 downs and punt.

That said, the defense is not the issue. Doesn't matter if they allow 15 points or 45 points if the offense cannot muster more than 14 itself.

jjab360

Legend

You know what worries me? Every time we win TA has more than 5 touches. Every... single... time.

And against the Bears he gets............wait for it.............wait for it.............FIVE.

1363588445823567319.GIF
Tavon had 5 touches in the win against Cleveland and 12 in the loss to the Vikings...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes the O is poor, I don't think there's any denying that, but for me the most worrying stat is that outside of a 2 game stretch where we played the worst O in the NFL (49ers), and an O which if the averages continue will be 2 points on the entire season away from the second worst O in the NFL (Browns) our D has conceded an average of 24.4 points, which would be good for the 19th best scoring D in the league.

Maybe I'm just cherry picking a stat, (and I hate the "If you take out the good you're left with the bad" argument) but it seems the only time we can reliably stop an opponent's O is when we're playing against absolute cack.

It's why I hate averages. One game skews everything. I doubt they'll give up multiple long plays for TDs regularly.

Besides, I'm still pissed at that roughing call on Mark Barron. They literally just handed the Bears a TD there.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You're right, only looking at points allowed by the D, and carrying out the same removal of the worst Os by all teams then the Rams are back up to 8th in points allowed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It looked ominous for the d when they let a te score a 87 yard td on their second play of the day.

That was definitely the uh oh moment of the game for me.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon had 5 touches in the win against Cleveland and 12 in the loss to the Vikings...

I didn't say more than 5 guaranteed a win. Thanks for the Browns note, I missed that.

Tavon has more than 5 touches in 75% of the Rams' wins.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
D's not going to be able to play great all the time. Saying they can't hack it against good offense is just incorrect. They held down the prolific Steelers O even before Ben went down, did the same to the Cardinals and Packers and held the Vikings below 20 for a whole regulation game.

Eventually they were going to give up a big play, and that wouldn't hurt if our offense could respond in any way, but instead we just put them on the field for 39 minutes and continued to let them get beat up.

You can't expect you D to be an iron curtain all the time, there's a reason the offense plays at all. They HAVE to score points, you can't just expect your defense to never relinquish a single point ever.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That 'IR' stat is what's most worrying for me.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I wouldn't mind seeing all of our weaknesses exploited through the rest of the season. Then we could address them in the off season without excuses.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
We did beat ARZ in their house, though, and lost close one to the Vikings in MIN.

We just need a spark named Case Keenum. Compare his college tape to Foles. Pretty striking.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

The holding call on Grob on that play was so freaking weak too. he barely touched the guy. But because he was going to the ground that awesome officiating crew just couldn't help themselves.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is not a great defense yet. It's a very good defense, a defense you can ride all the way if the other pieces are there. But a shutdown defense like the 85 Bears or the Ravens defense that Dilfer rode to his championship? Not really. They have their moments but just not there yet.

That said, injuries are not helping. Most defenses would not be anywhere near where the Rams are if they lost their starting DE and CB so that really speaks to the depth of this unit.