Most significant Ram lost to free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most recently losing Jenkins stung... and now we have Trumaine at a contract crossroad... so I'm asking;

Which player left the Rams (by free agency or as a result of a release) that went on to have a really strong career elsewhere?

Kurt Warner?
Ryan Pickett?

Dickerson and Bettis were traded, otherwise they'd clearly be in the conversation.

I'm sure I'm missing someone, which is why I've started the topic. But, off the top of my head we haven't really had a Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey type of loss.

One might say we've not had an over abundance of talent to have these problems. :unsure:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
London Fletcher leaps to mind. But Lovie Smith was certain that Jamie Duncan could fill his shoes....turned out he couldn't.

bnw

Pro Bowler
In my mind when talking GSOT (because there hasn't been jack to talk about before or since) it is the loss of London Fletcher.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
London Fletcher leaps to mind. But Lovie Smith was certain that Jamie Duncan could fill his shoes....turned out he couldn't.

In my mind when talking GSOT (because there hasn't been jack to talk about before or since) it is the loss of London Fletcher.

Can't believe I missed him!

THAT WAS a huge mistake losing him.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't remember if Kevin Greene was released or traded.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jack 'HackSaw' Reynolds!! Moving to the 49ers in 1980/81!! It helped transform their team and he Won a SB!!

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I don't remember if Kevin Greene was released or traded.
He was a UFA after the 1992 season -- and since the Rams had gone to a 4-3 in 1991 (and stuck with it in 92), Greene was still adapting as a 4-3 DE. He preferred being an OLB edge rusher in a 3-4, so he signed with a team that was running the 3-4: the Steelers under Cowher and DC Dom Capers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
London Fletcher and that was all on Jay Zygmunt who let his strength become his weakness. Zygmunt was a capoligist he had the hardware (degrees) to prove it, but he allowed his strength to become his weakness when the Rams lost London Fletcher.

Zygmunt in his infinite wisdom felt there was no way the Rams could keep both Leonard Little and London Fletcher because he felt both of them together would cost too much money. Zygmunt made this determination without picking up the phone or meeting with Fletcher's agent, he just projected the market so the Rams signed Little who they felt was more valuable for pass rush reasons and then moved quickly to get who they perceived would be better value in Jamie Duncan.

Well, Zygmunt made a major miscalculation, when the Rams found out how much Fletcher signed for with the Bills they realized they could have kept both Little & Fletcher and the defense under Mike Martz was never the same as Fletcher went on for a distinguished career and Jamie Duncan was just another in a long line of disappointments for the Rams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fletcher....no reason to dump the leader of that defense.
I was pissed about Darian Stewart too...didn't we cut him?
Jenkins was playing pretty well...Figured when he left he'd ball out. I expect TJ and Tru to play good as well...

Still, players get replaced...no big deal

Ram65

Legend
Fletcher, Kevin Green, Jenkins, Bly and Amendola. I had read all the posts to figure out who was a free agent. Hope they make the right decisions with Tre, Britt, McDonald, and GZ.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel losing Fletcher had the biggest impact. But losing Jenkins was big too. If we signed him last year we'd still be looking at the possibility of losing Tru but it wouldn't sting as much. We lose him to free agency and we have huge holes to fill in the secondary. MacDonald is a nice piece but not as critical. I feel we have other options there if he leaves.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
You guys are nuts, and I say that with love.

Kurt Warner, hands down. He turned the Cardinals into contenders after being losers for over two decades straight. Took them to a Super Bowl.

For all of the love Martz gets from Rams fans, to me, he'll always be the dude who cut the greatest Rams QB of all time.

…..

Legend
1. Jenkins
2. Fletcher
3. Az Zahir Hakim
4. Kevin Green
5. Eric Kush

FRO

Legend
You lose a great MLB in Fletcher and cut a great QB in Warner and the team proceeds go suck. Those moves were costly.