Most likely to reach 1,000 receiving yards next season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Most likely to reach 1,000 recieving yards next season?

• Cooper Kupp

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Robert Woods

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • Sammy Watkins (if retained)

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Last year we saw a season which one can argue we potentially have 3 1,000 WRs who are capable of this feat. If Watkins is retained (and if you believe he is better than his gained yardage last season) than its suffice to say that there could be a three man race for this feet.

Robert Woods was on pace for 1100 yards before sustaining his shoulder injury. In 12 games, 11 starts, he posted 781 yards. Ending the season against Atlanta with a remarkable 142 yard game. Woods showed me and the rest of the league that he is not just a short to intermediate threat, he showed his solid speed, very good route running, and spectacular hands can make him utilized all over the field. Much like he was at USC. I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Woods and I loooove to eat crow on this.

Cooper Kupp put himself together a very good rookie year! I was clammering about drafting this kid and he even exceeded my expectations for year 1. Despite some hickups along the way with a few crucial drops, Kupp always came back to prove that he is going to be a key target for Mr. Goff for a long time. Kupp finished with a team high 869 receiving yards in 15 games. Games where he had to fill in for Robert Woods, Kupp showed he can rise to the occasion, excelling from the slot and having the ability to make plays on the outside on occasion. Kupp brings a high IQ to the game, knows how to create space with his routes for any range of the field, and is a strong WR who can beat the press. Like Woods, if not for the missed game against SF, Kupp may have been able to breach the 1000 yard mark as a rookie.

Sammy Watkins was pre-thought to be the one most likely to his this mark last season if he managed to stay healthy. Well he did stay healthy but he came up well short of 1,000 yards in 15 games. Finishing with just under 600 yards receiving, Watkins may have been a disappointment for many statistically. He did however lead the team in receiving TDs with 8, and proved to be a redzone threat with a slant route. An athlete who undoubtable helped this team more than his stats showed, Watkins opened lanes for other plays to happened because of his deep speed. If brought back, with a full offseason to work with, is it possible that Watkins can reach the 1,000 yard mark yet again as he did in Buffalo? I think its not out of the question at all.

Ultimately in the games we won last year, most of them were by a large margin, thus I have no complaints about who did what and how many yards it took. If we can continue to beat teams by 15+ points then I will not care if we do not post the gaudy personal stats. But for the fun of it, and because I think they all have the potential to make it, given the amount of targets they get, who breaks 1,000 next season?

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Woods. He was getting better and better until he hurt his shoulder. He seems to be the leader of the WR group with Kupp not too far behind him. Another camp with Goff will only strengthen their connection and understanding of the concepts of the offense. Still hope Watkins is retained as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If they stay Healthy, Woods and Cooper could Both record 1000 Yard Season's! JMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
Who knows?
I would say Woods based on where they are now, I voted Kupp based on chance of improving.
As for Watkins.....well, hopefully he turns out to be more than Kenny Britt with a better personality.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Count me in with the “all of the above” write in selection

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Woods AND Kupp.

I’d say all three, but the offense runs through Gurley as well as I dunno if Watkins is back.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I voted Kupp, but agree it's a toss up.

Kupp seemed to always get a consistent amount of looks. That bodes well for steady production even if shy of those yard shattering games.

Not to mention; if Kupp did what he did as a rookie... it's reasonable to expect continued growth as a player.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I'm thinking Woods.
Not sure with Watkins yet.
Who know though, maybe the Rams will get Kupp more touches.
Then Gurley out of the back field.
Plenty to look forward to next season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Voted Kupp, but I think that Woods hits 1,000 yards as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I learned last year was that McVay's offense spreads the ball around, with Watkins used as the big receiving threat (drawing the top CB) as others got the ball. Yeah, everyone understood the strategy, I am sure. We all realized it and yet some looked down on Watkins because he didn't get 1400 yards like "elite" WR's get in the NFL.

Yes, some got that yardage but how much of that came at the expense of other WR's on that team? If you have a 1600 yard WR, and two other 700 yard guys, is that better than three guys getting about 1,000 yards each? I think this is McVay's offense where the ball is spread around among WR's and our our extremely good RB/WR. It's better to do it this way, as long as the production is there and last year, it was.

As long as WR's can continue to be satisfied with winning over gaudy numbers, and fans can understand that said WR isn't defined purely by stats, McVay's system can't really be stopped that easily, and we will win a LOT of games.

jap

Legend
I'm thinking Woods.
Not sure with Watkins yet.
Who know though, maybe the Rams will get Kupp more touches.
Then Gurley out of the back field.
Plenty to look forward to next season.

You were the only one this far to mention the Gurley Man as a receiving threat. We cannot sleep on Todd as a legitimate 1000 yard receiver in this offense . . . especially if Watkins is retained & establishes that ultra important rapport with Jared. Sammy will be attracting possibly even more attention next season as an elite downfield threat, and Robert & Cooper Kupp will be returning as established threats. Sean will have his young TE's causing all kinds of ruckus all over the field, leaving the Gurley Express! as the somewhat 'forgotten' man in the passing game---not because he is truly forgotten nut because he will be often deemed as a much lesser threat than the others. However, we know! that Todd is very capable of taking a short pass and finding ways to run over, around or hurdle over defenders on his way to pay dirt!