Morris Claiborne, Michael Brockers and the Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Morris Claiborne, Michael Brockers and the Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12075/claiborne-brockers-and-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When news broke that Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne had been demoted from the starting lineup and subsequently departed the team's facility in a huff, it didn't make much of a ripple around the St. Louis Rams.

But there's actually a deeper history involving Claiborne and the Rams than many realize. While the Rams' 2012 draft trade with the Washington Redskins centered on the No. 2 overall pick and Robert Griffin III, it's easy to forget about the second first-round trade the Rams made that year.

After moving down to No. 6, the Rams cut another deal as Claiborne, that draft's consensus top corner, fell to their spot. Although the Rams had brought Claiborne to St. Louis for a visit and showed interest in him, they weren't sold enough to make him their pick. Dallas, however, had no such qualms.

The Cowboys traded the No. 14 overall pick along with their second-round pick, No. 45 overall, to the Rams for No. 6. Dallas coveted Claiborne and the Rams decided to gamble that the object of their affection, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, would slip to them.

As it turned out, both teams got what they wanted. The Rams later traded the No. 45 overall pick to the Chicago Bears for the No. 50 pick and a fifth-round choice that they turned into running back Isaiah Pead and guard Rokevious Watkins. Neither of those choices has paid dividends for the Rams but the Bears took receiver Alshon Jeffery with the pick acquired from St. Louis.

Clearly, the move up for Claiborne hasn't been a good decision for the Cowboys, especially considering reports they would have taken Brockers at 14 and linebacker Bobby Wagner with that second-round pick. Wagner has thus far been better than both players in his first two-plus seasons.

Brockers, meanwhile, has been a solid if unspectacular pick so far for the Rams. If nothing else, he's a dependable starter who still boasts some upside, something that might be hard for Claiborne to claim moving forward.

Drawing the tie even closer, it's worth noting that Claiborne's blowup Wednesday came on the heels of a rough outing against the Rams on Sunday. He did make the game-sealing interception in the fourth quarter but that came after the Rams repeatedly targeted him for big plays. He allowed five catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns and was flagged for defensive holding in the Cowboys' victory.

In retrospect, the Rams could have done much better with the second-round pick acquired from Dallas but the Brockers selection alone makes them clear winners in the deal.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's pretty easy to slam picks that don't pan out after the fact. At the time the typical draft pundit called Claiborne a "surefire blue chip talent", but luck is luck. Dallas needed a CB and went all out to get the best. Busts happen to everyone. Maybe the lesson is to not worry about need so much and just go best available, I don't know. I'm more willing to forgive busts, what bugs me most in drafts is when a team has a clear need, there's a clear highly rated talent there, and they pick something that's of little need/less rated -- see: picking Pead over a highly rated LB. The fact that Pead or Rok Watkins busted isn't what bothers me, that's bad luck. It's that the Rams purposefully chose an unnecessary scat back over a highly rated LB that they really needed.

jjab360

Legend
Claiborne isn't any good, but I have to admit Brockers has been letting me down so far this season. Then again, the entire D-line has let me down so far this season.

Boat Ram

Recovering Lurker
I still remember members of the Dallas coaching staff talking about how he was a steal and that they were very pleased with themselves. Obviously we know now they had JJ rabbit in their sights.

AZRamsFan93

It's pretty easy to slam picks that don't pan out after the fact. At the time the typical draft pundit called Claiborne a "surefire blue chip talent", but luck is luck. Dallas needed a CB and went all out to get the best. Busts happen to everyone. Maybe the lesson is to not worry about need so much and just go best available, I don't know. I'm more willing to forgive busts, what bugs me most in drafts is when a team has a clear need, there's a clear highly rated talent there, and they pick something that's of little need/less rated -- see: picking Pead over a highly rated LB. The fact that Pead or Rok Watkins busted isn't what bothers me, that's bad luck. It's that the Rams purposefully chose an unnecessary scat back over a highly rated LB that they really needed.
The Rams passing over Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner really hurts. Fisher and Snead don't seem to highly value linebacker play.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Rams passing over Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner really hurts. Fisher and Snead don't seem to highly value linebacker play.
My pick was Mychal Kendricks, not as good as your choices, but any would have been a better choice for the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I don't think that is true, tbh. Fish was quoted as saying he'd be "Bobby Wagner mad" if he missed on the safety we took in the 4th round. From what I have read, he's still angry about it and for good reason.

But agree that our LB play needs to get better. I think it's on the sched to upgrade, just that the secondary was far more important this past offseason. We'll probably see someone who can play SAM and backup MIKE to strengthen depth and upgrade the LB corps in this next draft. For the remainder of the season here's hoping Ogletree gets better at beating blocks and the overall play of the unit gets the job done.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was all over getting Alshon.... Kept pounding the table for him after doing my video study...

Wish we could have THAT one back...