Morning Ram-blings: The Big Boards (wagner)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6402/morning-ram-blings-the-big-boards

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

With the NFL scouting combine now officially a thing of the past, it's time for the many draft analysts to begin shuffling their rankings of the top players available.

Despite insistence to the contrary, the combine workouts often do have an effect on how media analysts view the draft prospects, probably more so than teams. But either way, it's another piece of the puzzle to add before coming up with a working board that will be used come draft day.

Right here at ESPN.com, our resident experts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have tweaked their top player boards a bit and there are a few interesting nuggets to note if you're a fan of the St. Louis Rams.

Kiper's rankings had just one change in the top five with Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins moving up to No. 4 and Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews dropping to No. 5.

No player made a bigger jump than Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans, who moved from 15 to 6 after a strong showing in Indianapolis. It's worth noting that Evans and Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan now sit at Nos. 6 and 7 on Kiper's Big Board. While that doesn't necessarily reflect how the teams in the league view those players, it's probably best for Rams draftniks to expect both to be gone when the team comes on the clock again at No. 13.

McShay's newest list of the top players doesn't differ all that much from Kiper's. They have the same players in their top seven with just a slightly different order.

Like Kiper, McShay has Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson at No. 2. But what's more interesting is the minimal gap between No. 1 Jadeveon Clowney and Robinson at No. 2. In fact, Scouts Inc.'s list of the top players now has Robinson and Clowney with identical grades of 96 overall.

There's no doubt that any choice the Rams would make at No. 2 would be difficult but it's become increasingly clear that they really can't go wrong with any of the top players in this draft.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Friday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we looked at Mike Sando's Insider piece on some potential draft day dilemmas that could await the Rams. ... In the afternoon, I took part in the weekly chat, answering plenty of draft and free-agency questions among other things. ... We closed the day with some thoughts on what's actually possible for the Rams to do with the 13th pick in the draft.

Elsewhere:

More from Kiper and McShay: Combine risers and fallers .

At stltoday.com, Jeff Gordon looks at the latest in the Richie Incognito saga.

NFL.com offers its top 100 pending free agents.

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Legend
I'd be more interested in getting an inside peek at the Rams draft board as it fluctuates toward Draft Weekend.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Schrager at Fox put up his big board and has 5-6 o lineman going in the first round. As far as waiting till the second round to pick up that quality guard goes, Rams could miss the boat if they don't get one in the 1st.!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Schrager at Fox put up his big board and has 5-6 o lineman going in the first round. As far as waiting till the second round to pick up that quality guard goes, Rams could miss the boat if they don't get one in the 1st.!!

I haven't seen his list, but are most of them OT?

There will be guard talent beyond the first!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

Yankey and Suafilo were the 2 I remember on the list. Had the Rams taking Robinson at 2. Shared the link on facebook.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

Shared the wrong article on facebook the first time, CGI! Put the Shrager article out there a few minutes ago. Sorry!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Kiper and McShay's "Big Boards" hardly ever go right along with what actual Teams do. Just because THEY move guys up and down, does not mean it will affect the Rams at all. Those guys are pure "fantasy Drafters".

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Seems its down to Watkins and Robinson/Matthews. Guess it'll come down to who they become "schmitten" with. They need both guys, really. I'd trade back from 2, draft Watkins, then come back from 13 to land our OT. To come away from this draft with Watkins, Mathews, a second round G, and a third round S would be incredible.

Too bad we'd miss out on one of the LB's like CJ Mosely, though.

"Fisher has never selected an OL'man in the first round." If that's true and we sign Saffold then I don't think we choose Robinson.