Morning Ram-blings: QB options/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Morning Ram-blings: QB options
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14650/morning-ram-blings-qb-options-2

I didn't get a chance to write about it last week because of the short week and all that was going on in preparation for the St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals game on Thursday night but wanted to circle back to something colleague Field Yates wrote.

In this piece, Yates makes the case for the Rams to trade up for a quarterback in the 2015 NFL draft.

It's a worthwhile read that has plenty of validity but one of the points he makes is particularly intriguing: The argument that the Rams are well positioned to make a move up because they've been collecting picks from Washington for so long.

In other words, the Rams have been able to stock up on young players and they have a better roster top to bottom than they've had in a long time. And there's no doubt that they must find a solution to their quarterback issues.

For anyone paying attention, the Rams look to be a quarterback and a couple of offensive linemen away from being legitimate contenders in the NFC West division. Whether they value any of the quarterbacks in this year's draft enough to move up and pay a premium price for them remains to be seen.

But we do know the Rams are aware of their quarterback issues and that they must address it this offseason. As I've written multiple times, my early read is that they'd like to bring Sam Bradford back at a greatly reduced rate AND spend a relatively high pick on a quarterback. I also don't expect them to force the issue by just drafting whatever quarterback falls to them in the first round.

It seems unlikely the Rams would be willing to make such a bold move to get a Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston but it's also one they should and likely will at least discuss as the offseason arrives.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of the Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com over the weekend. ... On Sunday, we explored the Rams' struggles in short-yardage situations, especially in the run game. ... Saturday we took a look at the Rams' inability to get much going on the ground against the Cardinals. ... Going back to Friday, we took a closer look at Bruce Arians' postgame comments. ... This week's Turning Point examined the series of plays where the Rams could not get into the end zone in the fourth quarter. ... The Rams struggled with Arizona's blitzing. ... W2W4 revisited looked back at three keys to the Rams-Cardinals matchup.

Elsewhere:

I can't recommend my pal Seth Wickersham's latest piece on personnel man Scot McCloughan enough.

Mel Kiper Jr. ranks the rookie receiver class and the rookie class overall with love for a couple of Rams.

At 101sports.com, Aaron Donald talks to Will Witherspoon after the Rams' loss.

At stltoday.com, Jim Thomas explores the Rams' issues winning close games.

Bernie Miklasz offers appreciation for the Rams honoring Bryan Burwell.