More signs Texans aren't sold on Clowney at 1/RotoWorld

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

More signs Texans aren't sold on Clowney at 1

After speaking to "people who know" Texans GM Rick Smith, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted late Sunday that he "no longer believe(s) it's a certainty" Houston uses the No. 1 overall pick on Jadeveon Clowney.

SI's Peter King, who wrote two weeks ago that people close to Smith believe the Texans' general manager prefers Khalil Mack over Clowney, chimed in on Twitter Sunday, writing "I should say I absolutely don't know who Houston will pick. But I hear the same as Ian." Rapoport added the Texans are "willing to trade" -- which we already knew -- but also called Mack "a name to watch this week," perhaps as a sleeper to go No. 1 overall. On Friday, ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on SportsCenter, "I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick." If Clowney slipped to the Rams at No. 2, St. Louis would almost certainly auction the selection to the highest bidder.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...ey-at-1?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

scifiman

I for one think there are too many red flags on Clowney. Is he going to be that guy who plays for a contract? Is he going to be happy if he plays good one year and then demand more money? Watch the tape of him last year and you see him take a lot of plays off. Is he going to "save" himself for only when he thinks it important? A guy like him can be a huge negative on your team. I would auction the pick off too if Houston does not draft him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I for one think there are too many red flags on Clowney. Is he going to be that guy who plays for a contract? Is he going to be happy if he plays good one year and then demand more money? Watch the tape of him last year and you see him take a lot of plays off. Is he going to "save" himself for only when he thinks it important? A guy like him can be a huge negative on your team. I would auction the pick off too if Houston does not draft him.

It's actually smart thinking on their part. Use Clowney to drive up the interest in trading and the value of the pick without having to stress over his red flags. If they decide to take Mack then the Rams bank off of the trade instead but Houston still gets a beast of a defensive player without the worry.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Unless the Rams are getting a blockbuster deal with future 1st round picks, they would be fools to pass on Clowney.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Unless the Rams are getting a blockbuster deal with future 1st round picks, they would be fools to pass on Clowney.
Big Time Fools! yes agree!

Now I should say that I have absolutely no issues at all if Snead is able to land Jadeveon Clowney. In fact I would feel like we have just pulled off one of the best all time Ram selections. This team defensively has just become a living nightmare for the NFL! I would really like to scare the crap out of the 9ers & Seahawks four games a season.

At the same time I also understand completely why some GM's have RED FLAGS come up with his name. IMO If Jadeveon had Chris Longs head, heart and desire to go along with the best Talent & Ability in the draft ....what Red Flags could possibly be waving then?

jap

Legend

Now I should say that I have absolutely no issues at all if Snead is able to land Jadeveon Clowney. In fact I would feel like we have just pulled off one of the best all time Ram selections. This team defensively has just become a living nightmare for the NFL! I would really like to scare the crap out of the 9ers & Seahawks four games a season.

At the same time I also understand completely why some GM's have RED FLAGS come up with his name. IMO If Jadeveon had Chris Longs head, heart and desire to go along with the best Talent & Ability in the draft ....what Red Flags could possibly be waving then?

If Clowney boards the U.S.S. Horns, he will be subjected to the Vulcan Mind Touch with Chris as a condition for boarding.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I don't see the red flags. They seem to be WAAAAAAAY overblown. Besides, he will be in Quinn and Long's house with Williams and Fisher. He won't be slacking even if he wanted too.

BeerOClock

Rookie
It's obvious the Texans want to trade the pick. If they wanted Clowney and weren't considering a trade, we would have known by now. There is no benefit in keeping their pick a secret.

The questions remaining are:
1) What are other teams willing to give up for the #1 pick (presumably to get Clowney)?
2) Is it worth it to the Texans?
3) If there's not enough value in the trade offers, who would the Texan's really pick?

If Clowney falls to the Rams at #2, the same three questions above still apply (only substitute the #1 with a #2, and the Texans with the Rams). A trade up for Watkins would also apply at the #2 spot.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's obvious the Texans want to trade the pick. If they wanted Clowney and weren't considering a trade, we would have known by now. There is no benefit in keeping their pick a secret.

The questions remaining are:
1) What are other teams willing to give up for the #1 pick (presumably to get Clowney)--is it worth it to the Texans,
2) If there's not enough value in the trade offers, who would the Texan's really pick?

If Clowney falls to the Rams at #2, the same two questions above still apply (only substitute the #1 with a #2, and the Texans with the Rams).

1) Texans won't trade and Clowney won't fall
2) Rams would never pass on Clowney

JMHO

BeerOClock

Rookie

I would feel the same way, maybe even more so, should the Rams draft Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack.

3 Sacks in your coming-out year and your coach saying you're not a hard worker in practice are definitely red flags--though, in Clowney's case, not necessarily deal breakers.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Did you actually watch the game film or are is that something you heard - that he takes plays off? I am curious.

BeerOClock

Rookie
1) Texans won't trade and Clowney won't fall
2) Rams would never pass on Clowney

JMHO

Everyone is entitled to their HO's. MHO:
1) With the right offer, the Texans will definitely trade. This is not to say they will get the right offer.
2) Clowney is a great prospect playing a position the Rams already have three great players in rotation: Quinn, Long and Hayes. Sure Clowney makes it even stronger, but what about the lost opportunity of what they could have had? I'm not so sure the Rams are as enamored with Clowney as you are. One thing for sure, Clowney makes great trade bait--especially to teams that are deficient in their pass rush (like Oakland and Atlanta).

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Everyone is entitled to their HO's. MHO:
1) With the right offer, the Texans will definitely trade. This is not to say they will get the right offer.
2) Clowney is a great prospect playing a position the Rams already have three great players in rotation: Quinn, Long and Hayes. Sure Clowney makes it even stronger, but what about the lost opportunity of what they could have had? I'm not so sure the Rams are as enamored with Clowney as you are. One thing for sure, Clowney makes great trade bait--especially to teams that are deficient in their pass rush (like Oakland and Atlanta).

You are assuming rotation. I'm not. I'm assuming they move around as their skills allow.

The Rams have deficiencies but they also have 12 picks. In my opinion, no team will pass on Clowney. He's a freak.

OK, there is the exception of making an RG3 level deal, but I don't see that happening. If it's BPA at 2 and Clowney is there, no way they pass.

We'll see in just a few long days though.

Welcome aboard by the way. :)

BeerOClock

Rookie
It's good to be here, thanks! After giving out a thousand or so "Likes", I decided to finally jump in and post. Guys on this site seem to be a nice combination of football smarts (most of them, anyways) and good sense of humor.

BTW, enjoy your posts. Even if we don't agree, I like to look at your pic.