More ripple than splash for Rams so far in free agency/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
More ripple than splash for Rams so far in free agency
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7a2d9d99-c91b-5fbd-b925-df0af4cb9db4.html

Orlando, Fla. • The Rams have moved at a glacial pace for much of this free-agency period. Coach Jeff Fisher is aware of the criticism. But he’s neither defensive nor apologetic about the lack of activity. Nor is he angry about having fewer salary cap dollars available this offseason.

“Our philosophy has varied from year to year,” Fisher said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings. “There are those that say we haven’t been very active this year. That doesn’t mean to say we’re done.

“And we did do some things over the last couple years to help our football team. You just have to look at who’s available and whether that player fits — not only from an ability standpoint, but from a market standpoint.”

During his first two offseasons in St. Louis, the Rams committed an average of about $85 million a year in free-agent contracts, be it players from other teams or Rams free agents who were re-signed.

In 2012, the headliner additions were cornerback Cortland Finnegan, center Scott Wells, and defensive tackle Kendall Langford. Last offseason, it was offensive tackle Jake Long, tight end Jared Cook, and re-signed defensive end William Hayes.

So far this offseason, the Rams have committed less than $40 million with most of that total used to re-sign offensive

lineman Rodger Saffold. Keep in mind, these dollar figures assume the player plays out the entirety of the contract, which doesn’t happen all that often in free agency.

“We have re-signed Rodger, which I think is a huge move for us,” Fisher said. “Our priority going into free agency was to get Rodger signed. And we’ve signed a very, very good defensive tackle (Alex Carrington) that’ll fit into the rotation for us. That helps.”

Carrington, from the Buffalo Bills, agreed to terms Tuesday and has since signed his contract.

“We just wanted some more experience at that spot,” Fisher said. “It will take a little of the draft pressure off us I think at some point. Alex has been injured; he’s healthy now. Played a lot of different positions and a number of schemes over the last couple years, and hasn’t been able to settle down.

“We liked him coming out (in 2010). We thought he potentially was gonna be a disruptive type of inside pass rusher, run defender. So we’d like to give him a chance to do that.”

Carrington might have been the Rams’ third option at defensive tackle this offseason. But they were aiming high in courting Antonio Smith and Henry Melton in the sense that they were past starters who would’ve come to St. Louis slated to be rotation players. Smith ended up with Oakland; Melton with Dallas.

A few hours after Fisher spoke at the NFC coaches’ breakfast, the Rams agreed to terms with Detroit Lions free agent quarterback Shaun Hill on a one-year deal. Hill, 34, replaces Kellen Clemens as the veteran backup to starter Sam Bradford.

Hill’s presence won’t preclude the Rams from selecting a quarterback at some point in this year’s draft. Hill worked with Rams quarterback coach Frank Cignetti in 2007 with the San Francisco 49ers, and they have a good rapport.

Hill doesn’t have great arm strength and has an unorthodox delivery. But he’s smart, competitive, and has career numbers that are better than most backups in terms of completion percentage (61.9), passer rating (85.9), and touchdown-to-interception ratio (41 to 23).

After adding Carrington and Hill, the team’s free-agent ledger reads as follows: They’ve re-signed a starting guard (Saffold) and a starting strongside linebacker (Jo-Lonn Dunbar). They’ve added a third defensive tackle (Carrington) and a backup quarterback (Hill).

Hardly enough to merit gold stars, but probably enough to prevent picketing by irate fans at Rams Park.

The Rams are working other areas as well in free agency.

The team feels it has a better than a 50-50 chance to sign Tennessee wide receiver Kenny Britt, who has speed and still-untapped potential but also injury and off-the-field issues.

“I’m hoping that sometime here very soon, we’ll get something done (with Britt),” Fisher said.

The team still has some lines out at guard because retaining Saffold fills only one of two starting spots at the position. They remain interested in Davin Joseph or Daryn Colledge.

Center/guard Mike McGlynn, who started 14 games for Indianapolis last season, is visiting the Titans today after making previous stops with the Rams and Washington, according to the Tennessean.

The Rams offered former Seattle guard Paul McQuistan a deal and brought him in for a visit last week. But he signed with Cleveland for two years, $3 million and with provisions that can max out the deal at $5 million. That was more than the Rams were willing to pay.

The Rams would’ve been very close to the cap if not for the fact that the cap went up several million dollars more than anticipated. The release of guard Harvey Dahl and Finnegan also helped. Even at that, they entered the offseason with only decent cap space.

“We’re not gonna go overspend this offseason, particularly because of what we’ve done the last two years,” Fisher said. “We knew going in who we were interested in, who we were gonna bring in, what our options were.”

The one major area where help has eluded the Rams so far in free agency is the secondary, where there are needs at cornerback and safety.

Fisher conceded, “it would’ve been nice” to add a veteran defensive back. “But that market got priced out of what we were looking for.”

moklerman

Warner-phile
Fisher loves his ex players..
Hopefully not to a fault. I don't prefer coaches who limit themselves to just "their" guys. In this particular case, I want a good mixture of guys from Fisher, Snead, scouts and everyone involved. That's why I voiced my trepidation of bringing in Britt in a different thread. If I had to choose between Fisher and Snead to make a choice on a WR, I think I'd go with Snead. Fisher's track record with WR's doesn't seem too strong and I really don't want to see Tennessee's old offense transplanted to the Rams.

A piece or two? Fine, that's understandable. But with all the rumors, and who they've already got it's starting to look like they should just start wearing powder blue.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The fin is gone, thankfully.

Hayes was a great pick up.

Cook has been disappointing after a huge week1 but seemed to get better as the season progressed.

So 1 hit, 1 miss and 1 maybe.

Britt was the only explosive weapon the titans had and when he was healthy he was certainly explosive. Can't see the downside in letting him try to get his career back on track in a rams Jersey. I'm all for it.

Ram_of_Old

Hey, I have been a Rams fan for a long time. Anything more than a ripple would shock me. But, I would rather take this road than make some crazy moves like we have seen other trams do in the past.....(Redskins-Haynesworth)

F. Mulder

Starter
I like it. Obviously there are holes that need to be filled on this team but RARELY has a high priced FA who takes up the majority (if not all) of the available FA money made the difference. The holes this team has are legit but between the development of existing young players, a solid draft with a lot of picks, and some possible late, under the radar type FA signings like we've had so far I prefer this approach to winning the annual FA ESPN sweepstakes.

As it stands now, in no particular order, the holes are:

2 OL (you know at least 1 higher OL will be drafted and they either sign someone like Joseph/Colledge on a 1 year fill-in deal or get another OL in the mid-rounds for depth and development).

Safety. Again, I see this as a 2nd/3rd round type pick where the expectations are limited to just playing your position and not doing anything fancy. This player would battle one of the existing Safeties not named McDonald and either start or get worked in more and more throughout the season.

CB- I see this as a need. Again, I see this a draft pick and someone who battles for the nickel spot.

QB- 4th round or beyond

WR-??? as far as true need and the Rams version as a a need. Hopefully if Britt is signed he doesn't preclude them from going WR if there is someone they want.

The rest would be their true BPA (another RB?, TE?, LB?)

Of these needs I look at them coming out of the draft with at least one starting/new OL and one starting or heavy rotational DB. It sure beats the years when the entire roster seemed like one big need. However, this IS the year to hit a home run or stand up triple and not a lot of infield singles (sorry about the baseball metaphor but opening day is just around the corner!)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I really like what we've done. I really like getting Hill and resigning Dunbar. Carrington is a real nice rotational DT and Britt would good and just about seal the deal for me until roster cuts.

I didn't read this article because the title ticked me off. It was well known that STL doesn't have a lot of money to spend especially when guys line Bradford and Quinn are gonna be looking for extensions really soon.

I think Thomas's articles resemble more of a ripple than splash.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think we have to include Greg Williams as a FA of sorts. I'm not sure that there was a player available that would have made as much of a positive impact on our Defense (Team) as Coach Williams is going to.

A "ripple" my ass... We got a Fucking Tsunami heading towards the NFC West ...

Believe It.

Ram_of_Old

We resigned Saffold and so I'm happy. The rest is gravy.

AHA! The biggest challenge for this team is to keep Sam upright and healthy! I hate to say this, and many have already said it many time, but this could be a make or break year for Sam. He is a huge talent. If he stays healthy, I am confident that he will make us winners.

Alan

Legend
Ram_of_Old nailing it:
AHA! The biggest challenge for this team is to keep Sam upright and healthy! I hate to say this, and many have already said it many time, but this could be a make or break year for Sam. He is a huge talent. If he stays healthy, I am confident that he will make us winners.
Without a doubt Jim. The health/quality of the O-line is the key to all our hopes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More ripple than splash for Rams so far in free agency
• By Jim Thomas

Hardly enough to merit gold stars, but probably enough to prevent picketing by irate fans at Rams Park.

No not really.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think many of us just don't know how to handle a professionally approached and executed offseason. This is exactly what good teams do to get better in the short term and the future and not be in cap hell because of it.