More important: Shut down corner or elite DE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

More valuable to a defense

• Shut down corner ala Deion Sanders

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Elite DE ala Reggie White (or Robert Quinn)

Votes: 44 83.0%

• Total voters

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
But wouldn't a great DE sharpen a great LT? And isn't LT the second most important position on an offense?
Yes he would , but a shutdown corner can sharpen ALL wrs. and all QB's(most important position)

Manning is currently talking about how Talib is forcing him to be better

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yes he would , but a shutdown corner can sharpen ALL wrs. and all QB's(most important position)

Manning is currently talking about how Talib is forcing him to be better

I think you are taking a stretch by saying they will sharpen the QB. But that is ok. We can agree to disagree on this. Unless of course you have some divine omnipotent powers, in which case I will change my mind lol!

fearsomefour

Legend
DE
Using your example teams would double and triple White and game plan for him and he would make plays. Because Deion was usually manned up to take advantage of his coverage skills it was easy enough to run him out of plays....or in his case run the ball right at him and watch him get out of the way.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think you are taking a stretch by saying they will sharpen the QB. But that is ok. We can agree to disagree on this. Unless of course you have some divine omnipotent powers, in which case I will change my mind lol!
Don't really want to change your mind,I come at this from a wrestling coaches viewpoint ,your practice partners are are everything in that sport,IF you have a great 132 pounder your 126 and 138 pound wrestlers will be better for getting to practice against him,IF you can beat Reavis or just get a push in practice your chances against Cortland Finnegan are huge.
I guess I see it sort of like this Revis behind Long,or Jenkins behind Quinn,I'd take the former.

But I'll save my divine omnipotent powers of persuasion for a more opportune moment (y)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Cant I have both?????

I want my cake and I want to eat it too!!!!

Alan

Legend
So I picked CB. I have read what all you posters have said is your reason for picking the DE position and I agree with your thoughts about that. My problem with picking a DE is that they are too easy to get, comparatively speaking. IMO, there are far fewer shutdown CBs than there are premium DEs. I'd rather have a Leonard Little and a Deion Sanders than a Reggie White and a Janoris Jenkins (or whatever former Ram CB you'd like to replace Jenkins with). I chose Jenkins because I couldn't think of a former Ram shutdown corner which kind of illustrates my point.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Don't really want to change your mind,I come at this from a wrestling coaches viewpoint ,your practice partners are are everything in that sport,IF you have a great 132 pounder your 126 and 138 pound wrestlers will be better for getting to practice against him,IF you can beat Reavis or just get a push in practice your chances against Cortland Finnegan are huge.
I guess I see it sort of like this Revis behind Long,or Jenkins behind Quinn,I'd take the former.

But I'll save my divine omnipotent powers of persuasion for a more opportune moment (y)

Haha, I'm glad you caught the humor. :)

However, i do not think the 1st team offense and 1st team defense square off enough in practice to do significant sharpening.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Just wondering how people look at the comparison. I also know how one can make the other's job easier - e.g., a corner blanketing a receiver, forcing a QB to hold the ball longer ... and how getting to the QB quickly can force an ill-advised throw. So that aside, which would you rather have?
a CB is only one of 2 or 3 more options to throw or run but a great DE is coming at that QB to destroy the play before it starts every time.

RustyRay

Rookie
DE for me, in the NFL it doesn't matter how good a CB is if there is no pressure on the QB. Where a great DE can make a average CB good by applying pressure.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A true shutdown corner. Till a couple years ago I would have said DE but since it's more of a passing league now, going with a corner.
The corner takes away half the field, can let another man stay in the box against running teams. Wouldn't have to play as much nickle opening up more blitz packages. With him on one side it's easier to double team the other WR or TE taking away another chunk of the field forcing the QB to throw into a smaller box. It's like playing 10 men on 9 (QB's don't count).

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Wehrli played in an era where it was less important to be that good.
IMO there are 5 shutdown corners in the entire league, we have probably three elite DE's in our division alone,scarcity is where I fall,shutdown corner .
Additionally a shutdown corner in practice has more influence on more players quality of competition , practice partners are who make you better,IMO one of our wrs. problems is they don't have the highest quality DB's to practice against ,I think our draft spoke pretty loud and clear on that issue.

Wherli is a great example. He had a couple years where teams didn't even test him. In the 2 games against the Cowboys one year Staubach threw at Wherli twice and had both picked off. Revis was that way when he played the Pats. Close game they wouldn't take the chance to throw at him in fear of a pick six.