More important: Shut down corner or elite DE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

More valuable to a defense

• Shut down corner ala Deion Sanders

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Elite DE ala Reggie White (or Robert Quinn)

Votes: 44 83.0%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just wondering how people look at the comparison. I also know how one can make the other's job easier - e.g., a corner blanketing a receiver, forcing a QB to hold the ball longer ... and how getting to the QB quickly can force an ill-advised throw. So that aside, which would you rather have?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Elite DE. Here's my reasoning;

J.J. Watt has teams schemeing around him, and sometimes running a whole game plan away from him. While a guy like Deion might take a receiver away for most of a game, there's still a bigger chance of a splash play going against them for a big gain or a TD.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While it's great to shut down the other team's top receiver - unless they only have one decent receiver that still leaves them with lots of options. But if you have a dominating DE, slowing him down requires double and triple teams, which inevitably means another player can make a defensive play much more easily. If they are double teaming Quinn, with a RB prepared to block him too, Long is getting to the QB - or a blitzer is.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
DE as well. Shut down corners are great, but more valuable when the QB can buy time, imo. If he can't...

Good question - had to think about it, especially with it being a passing league now.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
All WRs will get open if given enough time... no matter who is on him. A bad ass defensive lineman will limit the time a receiver has to get open.

My choice is the DE.

jjab360

Legend
Like I said in the other thread:

"All you have to do to limit a good CB is not throw in his direction. If there's a DE who can consistently pressure the QB and even defeat double teams, your entire gameplan is ruined and you're SOL. Elite pass rusher vs elite CB 10 times out of 10."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DE

An elite DE impacts the entire offense.

An elite CB impacts one side of field in the passing game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
elite pass rush > elite coverage
Everything starts up front.

RamWoodie

Legend
You need both! Or pretty close to it...because they compliment each other! A shut down corner can give the DE time to get to the QB...at other times, the DE can get off the ball so fast he makes the QB throw before he wants to.

It all works together!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Elite DE, proof, Robert Quinn wrecked a couple games single handedly. Tougher to scheme against. Changes the way, completely, that the offense plays, and can take extra people out of going out on patterns, etc. A shutdown corner. Throw the other way...done, or fake him. A perfect throw, route, and competitive receiver can still beat him, on occasion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DE unless you are playing against a player like Calvin Johnson.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who gets paid more. That should tell you. DE.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
DE or elite pass rusher? Some 3-4 teams don't require elite DEs. But and elite pass rusher can prevent a pass to any WR and neutralize the QB. A shutdown Corner can only prevent a pass to a particular WR and only neutralize a portion of the field.

If you still aren't convinced, elite pass rushers should also assist in run defense. Elite CB, not so much.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Elite defensive end for certain. Roger Wehrli of the Cardinals was arguably the best cornerback ever. Nobody threw it to his side of the field unless they wanted it to turn into a pick six. They didn't even throw screens to his side of the field because he was so adept at forcing fumbles.

But I think that those Cardinal teams only had one playoff appearance. An elite defensive end/tackle can impact the game in so many ways that a shutdown cornerback can't.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I say look at the number of true elite DE's and the number of true "shutdown corners" maybe 5 of them in the whole league, easily twice that many elite DE's,so I go with the scarcer commodity shutdown corner.
The rest of the story is that in practice a shutdown corner creates competition for you QB and your wrs. that they won't have to face better on Sunday,iron sharpens several other irons a DE makes one lineman better in practice.
JMO but part of why our wrs. haven't quite blossomed could easily be because they don't practice against terribly high caliber DB's.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Well you did say "ala Deion Sanders" so I went with shut down corner, looking like an unpopular vote.

Both are key

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think you can get by with good corner play with elite defensive line play...and you can get by with good defensive line play with elite corner play. I don't think there has ever been 2 championship teams in the NFL built exactly the same.

...but since we have the elite DE I'll go that direction...:LOL:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wehrli played in an era where it was less important to be that good.
IMO there are 5 shutdown corners in the entire league, we have probably three elite DE's in our division alone,scarcity is where I fall,shutdown corner .
Additionally a shutdown corner in practice has more influence on more players quality of competition , practice partners are who make you better,IMO one of our wrs. problems is they don't have the highest quality DB's to practice against ,I think our draft spoke pretty loud and clear on that issue.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Wehrli played in an era where it was less important to be that good.
IMO there are 5 shutdown corners in the entire league, we have probably three elite DE's in our division alone,scarcity is where I fall,shutdown corner .
Additionally a shutdown corner in practice has more influence on more players quality of competition , practice partners are who make you better,IMO one of our wrs. problems is they don't have the highest quality DB's to practice against ,I think our draft spoke pretty loud and clear on that issue.
But wouldn't a great DE sharpen a great LT? And isn't LT the second most important position on an offense?