Michael Sam "stepping away from the game"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/22/montreal-alouettes-sign-michael-sam/

Montreal Alouettes sign Michael Sam
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 22, 2015

c397e425d3b661e17c4c0dce58892695.jpeg
AP

Michael Sam is bound for the Canadian Football League.

Sam, the former Rams and Cowboys defensive end, has signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes, the club announced Friday.

“With the signing of Michael Sam, we have become a better organization today,” Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp said in a team issued-statement Friday. “Not only have we added an outstanding football player, we have added even a better person that brings dignity, character, and heart to our team.”

Joining Montreal gives the 25-year-old Sam a chance to jump-start his career in a professional league that occasionally serves as a launching pad back to the United States, with Miami’s Cameron Wake and Cleveland’s Andrew Hawkins among the CFL alumni currently in the NFL. Sam’s pass rush ability — he notched three sacks in four preseason games in 2014 — should serve him well in a fast-paced league.

Sam, who became internationally known after announcing he was gay in February 2014, has not been with an NFL club since being released from the Cowboys’ practice squad in October.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/22/montreal-alouettes-sign-michael-sam/

Montreal Alouettes sign Michael Sam
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 22, 2015

c397e425d3b661e17c4c0dce58892695.jpeg
AP

Michael Sam is bound for the Canadian Football League.

Sam, the former Rams and Cowboys defensive end, has signed a two-year contract with the Montreal Alouettes, the club announced Friday.

“With the signing of Michael Sam, we have become a better organization today,” Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp said in a team issued-statement Friday. “Not only have we added an outstanding football player, we have added even a better person that brings dignity, character, and heart to our team.”

Joining Montreal gives the 25-year-old Sam a chance to jump-start his career in a professional league that occasionally serves as a launching pad back to the United States, with Miami’s Cameron Wake and Cleveland’s Andrew Hawkins among the CFL alumni currently in the NFL. Sam’s pass rush ability — he notched three sacks in four preseason games in 2014 — should serve him well in a fast-paced league.

Sam, who became internationally known after announcing he was gay in February 2014, has not been with an NFL club since being released from the Cowboys’ practice squad in October.

Now we see if he can take the Cameron Wake path to the NFL.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So he's finally stopped screaming discrimination and is attempting to better himself and make it the right way good for him

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good for Sam. Hope he makes it big somewhere.

BadCompany

Rookie
As an Alouettes fan I certainly hope he seizes this opportunity. The CFL game is built on speed, and passing, so he if he plays as fast as he says he can he should get a lot of opportunities to chase down some QBs. Especially since the CFL seems to be in a bit of a dead-QB era at the moment, with few elite talents.

Having said that, a lot of people (including most Canadians I might add) underestimate just how good the CFL is. There is a LONG list of quasi/former/wannabe NFLers who show up north of the border thinking that all they have to do is throw their passport and helmet on the field and they'll be instant stars. Doesn't work that way. Popp and Alouettes actually seem to make it a policy to bring these guys in and cut them in the first week, juste pour encourager les autres. Ahmed Green didn't even make it through the first day. So Sam had better show up in shape, or he's going to find himself looking pretty silly.

As for that other stuff, as Michael Farber points out that shouldn't be an issue here.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette je te plumerai
Alouette je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tête
Je te plumerai la tête
Et la tête, et la tête
Alouette, Alouette
O-o-o-o-oh
Alouette je te plumerai

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Alouette je te plumerai
Alouette je te plumerai
Je te plumerai la tête
Je te plumerai la tête
Et la tête, et la tête
Alouette, Alouette
O-o-o-o-oh
Alouette je te plumerai

Hey you can dance to that!!

image.jpg

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I looked at the roster. Montreal loves them some washed up NFL players. Mardy Gilyard, John Skelton, Chad Johnson, etc. Damn. I hope Sam dominates for them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As an Alouettes fan I certainly hope he seizes this opportunity. The CFL game is built on speed, and passing, so he if he plays as fast as he says he can he should get a lot of opportunities to chase down some QBs. Especially since the CFL seems to be in a bit of a dead-QB era at the moment, with few elite talents.

Having said that, a lot of people (including most Canadians I might add) underestimate just how good the CFL is. There is a LONG list of quasi/former/wannabe NFLers who show up north of the border thinking that all they have to do is throw their passport and helmet on the field and they'll be instant stars. Doesn't work that way. Popp and Alouettes actually seem to make it a policy to bring these guys in and cut them in the first week, juste pour encourager les autres. Ahmed Green didn't even make it through the first day. So Sam had better show up in shape, or he's going to find himself looking pretty silly.

As for that other stuff, as Michael Farber points out that shouldn't be an issue here.

It's alswo a good city for him as a person too.

I love Montreal, out of all the places I have visited in the US or Canada it's my fave.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love Montreal, out of all the places I have visited in the US or Canada it's my fave.

I'll take Maui every time Les, however, when it comes to Oh Canada, I'm Vancouver all the way!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I looked at the roster. Montreal loves them some washed up NFL players. Mardy Gilyard, John Skelton, Chad Johnson, etc. Damn. I hope Sam dominates for them.
The worst NFL players often tend to be Gods in the CFL. It's a good strategy.