Monte Kiffin and the "Tampa 2" (now in Dallas)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Look for Brian Quick to have a day against the "Tampa 2" scheme of DC Monte Kiffin.

The best way to attack this scheme is to attack the middle of the zone, and the dig route is where Quick can make a difference.

By using Cook and Austin to stretch the seams, it should open the middle of the field, as this defense is designed to take away the outside threat, and forces the MLB to drop deep into coverage.

Also, I expect this to be potentially a break out game for Austin underneath.

Again, just a guess as to how they may approach attacking this scheme.

iced

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/108701/qb-watch-rams-sam-bradford-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... bradford-2</a>

A weekly examination of the St. Louis Rams' quarterback play.

Rewind: For the second week in a row, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford put up big numbers and kept those with the foresight to start him as their fantasy signal-caller happy in the process.

Bradford threw a career-high 35 passes 5 yards or less down the field, and at first it appeared that number was a bit too high. But after reviewing the film, Bradford really didn't have but a few chances to get the ball downfield on some of the throws he checked down.

Once again, the St. Louis offense really started revving when it went to a no-huddle, two-minute tempo in the second half. We already knew that Bradford is most comfortable in a fast-break style, and his second-half performance of 20-of-34 for 228 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions only served to reinforce that.

Fast-forward: The Rams' Week 3 foe, the Dallas Cowboys, are having issues at cornerback, with Morris Claiborne nursing a bad left shoulder and rookie B.W. Webb not yet ready to contribute.Dallas worked out three corners on Tuesday and clearly has its eyes open for help.

Through two weeks, Dallas is allowing 313.5 passing yards per game. Bradford hasn't been sacked this season, but the biggest obstacle to continued big numbers will come from the best pass rush he's faced yet. With end DeMarcus Ware leading the way, Dallas has seven sacks in two games.

Bad bounces: Bradford has only thrown two interceptions in the first two games, but both have been turned into touchdowns. Neither was the result of a bad decision or even a bad throw. Instead, Bradford's been a victim of bad bounces. Odds are that streak will end sooner than later.

Prediction: Another favorable matchup against a team that has struggled to stop the pass and has done well against the run could lead to a third consecutive big game for Bradford.

Graphicker

Starter
Reading the Cowboys board.. Both there outside Corners are struggling. Mo has been getting used and abused so far.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Monte Kiffin and the "Tampa 2" (now in Dallas)

Graphicker said:
Reading the Cowboys board.. Both there outside Corners are struggling. Mo has been getting used and abused so far.
Good. Put Stedman Bailey on him

sent via Tapatalk.

iced

Re: Monte Kiffin and the

X said:
Graphicker said:

sent via Tapatalk.

claiborne has a bum shoulder and has been getting abused, so you want bailey on him?

Put me in the Quick group.. i want the big, physical guy

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

iced said:
X said:
Graphicker said:

sent via Tapatalk.

claiborne has a bum shoulder and has been getting abused, so you want bailey on him?

I'm with Iced on this one, force MC to cover the big physical WR in Quick, see how his shoulder holds up tryin to tackle Quickee.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

iced said:
X said:
Graphicker said:

sent via Tapatalk.

Bailey owned Claiborne in college. That's where the comment comes from.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
Look for Brian Quick to have a day against the "Tampa 2" scheme of DC Monte Kiffin.

The best way to attack this scheme is to attack the middle of the zone, and the dig route is where Quick can make a difference.

By using Cook and Austin to stretch the seams, it should open the middle of the field, as this defense is designed to take away the outside threat, and forces the MLB to drop deep into coverage.

Also, I expect this to be potentially a break out game for Austin underneath.

Again, just a guess as to how they may approach attacking this scheme.
I hope that I see this.

Quick really looks good with the ball in his hands, explosive. I'd like to see some more big/small crossing patterns too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
iced said:
X said:
Graphicker said:

sent via Tapatalk.

Bailey owned Claiborne in college. That's where the comment comes from.
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Bailey get some reps at WR.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If the corners are hurting you want to run a few inside w/ your slot guys to keep the safeties inside and from helping on the outside deep and then attack to the outside making the CBs make the play........ Givens could have a very good day.

iced

bomebadeeda said:
If the corners are hurting you want to run a few inside w/ your slot guys to keep the safeties inside and from helping on the outside deep and then attack to the outside making the CBs make the play........ Givens could have a very good day.

thought he'd draw carr

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bomebadeeda said:

That's the whole point of the "Tampa 2" ZONE. They roll the CBs up, and the Safeties wide over the top. The premise of this defense is to take the OUTSIDE away.

You guys seem to be stuck on the concept that the CBs will be matched up playing MAN. Monte Kiffin is a ZONE first Def. Coord.

The place to attack this zone is underneath and in the middle of the field with crossing routes. By working Austin and Cook in the seams, it will force their MLB (Sean Lee) to take DEEP drops in the middle of the zone, giving Quick (Pettis) plenty of room to run the "deep dig" routes that the GSOT feasted on.

The other guy who could factor into the game plan, is Kendricks. IMO, that's the best thing about THIS offense. They have so many different options to attack various defense.

The key for me, quite honestly, is NOT to fall behind so early, and be forced to play "catch up" football for a change.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
bomebadeeda said:

Kudos man I was wondering when someone would remember our best,just sayin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks to me the Rams receivers like Quick, Pettis, Cook, Kendricks & a pass catching Pead should have big days. Using the speed of Givens & Austin deep should open that defense up some.

Having our two pass protectors Saffold & Williams injured will hurt the pass protection that Sam has had in the first two games.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
CoachO said:
bomebadeeda said:

That's the whole point of the "Tampa 2" ZONE. They roll the CBs up, and the Safeties wide over the top. The premise of this defense is to take the OUTSIDE away.

You guys seem to be stuck on the concept that the CBs will be matched up playing MAN. Monte Kiffin is a ZONE first Def. Coord.

The place to attack this zone is underneath and in the middle of the field with crossing routes. By working Austin and Cook in the seams, it will force their MLB (Sean Lee) to take DEEP drops in the middle of the zone, giving Quick (Pettis) plenty of room to run the "deep dig" routes that the GSOT feasted on.

The other guy who could factor into the game plan, is Kendricks. IMO, that's the best thing about THIS offense. They have so many different options to attack various defense.

The key for me, quite honestly, is NOT to fall behind so early, and be forced to play "catch up" football for a change.

Yes they roll their CBs up in the Tampa 2. But if you run someone on a 9 right down the middle, are you saying safeties won't help leaving the CBs in a trailing position?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bomebadeeda said:
CoachO said:
bomebadeeda said:

Yes they roll their CBs up in the Tampa 2. But if you run someone on a 9 right down the middle, are you saying safeties won't help leaving the CBs in a trailing position?

Not usually unless Sam manipulates them with his eyes. The MLB is dropping into a deep zone down the seam and is responsible for that receiver. The safeties are going outside and over the top. It's the most effective way to attack a Cover 2 deep. Try to split the safeties. A well run post route will sometimes do it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, it's worth pointing out that the Cowboys don't run a true Tampa 2.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:

Agreed, it s not the same defense, but the principles are the same.

They rely on a strong pass rush, and try to take away the outside zones, underneath and over the top. you were dead on when you said its up to the MLB to cover the middle of the field.

Cook and Austin should have a mismatch advantage there, and like I said Quick on the deep dig route should be there most of the day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
jrry32 said:

Agreed, it s not the same defense, but the principles are the same.

They rely on a strong pass rush, and try to take away the outside zones, underneath and over the top. you were dead on when you said its up to the MLB to cover the middle of the field.

Cook and Austin should have a mismatch advantage there, and like I said Quick on the deep dig route should be there most of the day.
Well, it *might* be there most of the day, but Kiffin does a good job of disguising coverages with that cover 2, so it'll be up to Bradford to make the right reads post-snap. I hope that Schotty uses a good deal of 4-wide to see if they are running the underside d-backs in the zone. There should be many holes to exploit if they are. I do agree that using a high-low vertical stretch to attack the corners will yield some favorable results. I'd like to see Givens heavily involved in this one though. If he can sell a deep inside and temporarily freeze the safety or get him backpedaling, then the deep post will be there for the taking.