Monson: Tru Johnson Among Top 5 Free Agents to Get Overpaid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I don't think hes worth 12.5 mil a year but we can't afford to let him walk unless like @jrry32 said we better be damn sure were gonna be able to sign a pair of decent corners in FA and be prepared to use one of our first few picks in the draft on another one. You have got to be at least 4 deep in good corners in todays NFL. Even if we Resign Tru we still need one more in FA and one more in the draft IMO.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Then you see games without him (injury prone) like the Giants game and we shut down Odell Beckham. Just how valuable is Trumaine?

Odell was possibly not going to play that game as well due to injury. So it isn't fair to say we stopped him.

Last year we kept saying don't overpay for Jenkins. Now we're saying don't overpay for Johnson. Should have tagged Jenkins and renegotiated a contract with Johnson, kept both. But TruJo has been more injury prone than JJ, so I do not understand how we ended up here.

You cannot make the same mistake twice, figure out a way to keep TruJo and develop / sign / draft that other CB. It would be very difficult to find two starting cornerbacks, when we failed to find one last year

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can we franchise tag him again?
Of course....you have to add a percentage to the number...I wanna guess 20%....and I heard some horrible number...

We can but already did last season so there will be a huge mark up for tagging a second year in a row. I don't know what the number would be but my guess would be around $15 million for one year.
3rd year franchise tag I heard is 44%!!!! Geez!!!! But his second is only 20%. I read he could get as much as 14.6 or was it 16 million? Whatever the number...THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL TRUMAINE JOHNSON HAS EVER PLAYED UP TO THAT TYPE OF CONTRACT!!!!! C'MON PEOPLE!!!!!!

It would be very difficult to find two starting cornerbacks, when we failed to find one last year
No it wouldn't. It's only more difficult because of the missing first round pick. Great scouting should be able to produce 2 players competent enough to play corner and start in the NFL. Especially with a good front 4 applying pressure. Good corners are easy to find. Great corners...now those are harder to locate...Look around....there are a bunch of good corners everywhere.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
No it wouldn't. It's only more difficult because of the missing first round pick. Great scouting should be able to produce 2 players competent enough to play corner and start in the NFL. Especially with a good front 4 applying pressure. Good corners are easy to find. Great corners...now those are harder to locate...Look around....there are a bunch of good corners everywhere.

I disagree. Watching the games, our pressure would be so close to making a sack, but they would get off an amazing pass and get a first down. Donald has 31 QB hurries to 8 sacks. Better coverage would have meant more sacks and more 3 and outs. We cannot skimp on CBs and rookies surely will be eaten alive in todays NFL. We need an Elite Oline, and Great Corners, Good Safeties and Okay LBs... In my Opinion.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Odell was possibly not going to play that game as well due to injury. So it isn't fair to say we stopped him.

Last year we kept saying don't overpay for Jenkins. Now we're saying don't overpay for Johnson. Should have tagged Jenkins and renegotiated a contract with Johnson, kept both. But TruJo has been more injury prone than JJ, so I do not understand how we ended up here.

You cannot make the same mistake twice, figure out a way to keep TruJo and develop / sign / draft that other CB. It would be very difficult to find two starting cornerbacks, when we failed to find one last year

We also shouldn't make the mistake of thinking Tru is the same quality of player as JJ. It sucks to let players go but it balances if you are also bringing in guys which are probably cheaper. Look at the Patriots. They let key players go all the time because they won't overpay them and they are always contending for titles.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Better coverage would have meant more sacks and more 3 and outs. We cannot skimp on CBs and rookies surely will be eaten alive in todays NFL.
Was that scheme or talent? What can produce better coverage? Better players? Or a better system?

I don't think a 4th round pick at corner is skimping. I think if a player is drafted, in the top 4 or 5 rounds, he should have the ability to play and produce. Look closely at the Steelers & even to some extent the Panthers. Young secondary players (rookies)....playing well.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Im with you guys. This is a tough decision. I think it will ultimately matter how Wade Phillips feels about Tru. If he loves him and thinks he would be a true #1 in his system then I see us locking him up and if not we let him walk or test the market at least. He didnt have a great year but he was still a decent CB and our lack of depth behind him scares me. Hopefully EJ can also get back to his rookie year form before that injury. He would be highly valuable to this team considering we may lose Tru.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Tru is more valuable in WPs D, because of his size, physicality and ball skills, Tru isnt the fastest CB but he seems to put in the film study to help with route recognition. It is going to take guaranteed $ to keep Tru, hopefully something long term can get worked out. I wonder if he has bought his mother a home in SoCal yet?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm torn on Tru. Let's say we can re-sign Tru for $12.5 million per year or sign Logan Ryan and Brandon Carr for a total of $15.5 million per year, is Tru really worth it? I don't know.

I think Ryan and Johnson are going to command similar dollars and if Ryan does not get big money he will go back to NE.

I agree with your overall point, if you can get Ryan and Carr for what it would cost for Tru, then let Tru go. Ryan is only going to FA to see what the market will get him. If its crazy money he walks, if its 9 or 10M, NE will probably pay that and he will stay.

I always get a little nervous on players coming from SB winner in their first FA contract. He has the ring and now wants the cash. I feel like they are less motivated to win and more motivated to cash in and set themselves up for life (which I dont blame them). I have no proof of this just a feeling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Ryan and Johnson are going to command similar dollars and if Ryan does not get big money he will go back to NE.

I don't see it on either front. NE isn't going to offer Ryan the money that another team will because NE does a nice job of replacing their CBs. And Ryan doesn't have the value of Johnson. Johnson has size that Ryan doesn't, and teams will see #1 CB potential in him. Ryan doesn't offer that either.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't see it on either front. NE isn't going to offer Ryan the money that another team will because NE does a nice job of replacing their CBs. And Ryan doesn't have the value of Johnson. Johnson has size that Ryan doesn't, and teams will see #1 CB potential in him. Ryan doesn't offer that either.

NE right now does not have a replacement unless you think Cyrus Jones is that guy. I hear you on the size, but Ryan is 5'11" so he has good size too. The biggest reason to believe he leaves is his agent. So you may be right NE will not pay him. He has the same agent Revis and Jenkins has. I still think he gets similar money than Tru. Meaning if Tru gets 12 I think Ryan is going to get 9 like I mentioned before.

Your original point was bringing Ryan and Carr. I think I would rather pay Tru. Ryan feels like he will be expensive for a player that was only effective when Rowe was acquired and Ryan went to the slot. I like Ryan but he feels like he will get more money than he should then put in a spot outside he can not handle

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NE right now does not have a replacement unless you think Cyrus Jones is that guy. I hear you on the size, but Ryan is 5'11" so he has good size too. The biggest reason to believe he leaves is his agent. So you may be right NE will not pay him. He has the same agent Revis and Jenkins has. I still think he gets similar money than Tru. Meaning if Tru gets 12 I think Ryan is going to get 9 like I mentioned before.

Your original point was bringing Ryan and Carr. I think I would rather pay Tru. Ryan feels like he will be expensive for a player that was only effective when Rowe was acquired and Ryan went to the slot. I like Ryan but he feels like he will get more money than he should then put in a spot outside he can not handle

Ryan was effective playing outside in 2015, though. And he'd be acquired with the recognition that he'd play Chris Harris's role here.(move to slot in the nickel)

I also see his market at around $8 million per year. I'd balk at $9 million per year.

FRO

Legend
"I really like Janoris Jenkins, but I hope we don't overpay him. He's a good corner, but I don't think he should be one of the higher paid CBs in the league".
Rams fans last year.

Rams fans this year don't want to pay Johnson. If you don't pay Johnson your secondary is a bigger mess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I really like Janoris Jenkins, but I hope we don't overpay him. He's a good corner, but I don't think he should be one of the higher paid CBs in the league".
Rams fans last year.

Rams fans this year don't want to pay Johnson. If you don't pay Johnson your secondary is a bigger mess.

My stance last year was that we should tag Janoris and try to re-sign Johnson.

But as we stand here today, I am torn on whether to keep Johnson or not. The price matters. The secondary won't be a big mess if we prioritize it. The FA CB class has some depth to it, and the CB class in the Draft is incredible.

Worst case scenario, we don't address CB in FA, use our money to solve other needs, and then go to town at CB in the draft.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Eh. Our secondary will be poor without him, but he's not a difference maker. Don't re-sign if it'll cost a lot.

JRobinson

MiLB
I dont freakin care about what the dude is going to make. Hes our best corner, and after losing JJ, you throw the check at him. It is no winning philosophy to let your good (even if not great) players walk. We cant rely on Wade and Co. to go and start/develop a second or third round corner potentially. Not saying they couldnt do it, but with the growing pains of the "particular rookie", thats not something this team needs. We NEED STABILITY, and Tru provides that.

jap

Legend
Tru's biggest positive os a big body to match up with the trend of big-bodied NFL WRs. He was never the CB athlete that Jenks was. I am hoping that EJ rebounds even more from the devastating foot injury he suffered two years ago, but the Horns need to have players in place in case he does not. I leave it to Wade and his secondary coaches to decide whether to roll with Tru or go after cheaper veterans. Tru's size is nice to have, but I would have much preferred to have kept Jenks over him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Of course....you have to add a percentage to the number...I wanna guess 20%....and I heard some horrible number...

3rd year franchise tag I heard is 44%!!!! Geez!!!! But his second is only 20%. I read he could get as much as 14.6 or was it 16 million? Whatever the number...THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL TRUMAINE JOHNSON HAS EVER PLAYED UP TO THAT TYPE OF CONTRACT!!!!! C'MON PEOPLE!!!!!!

The Draft this year does seem to be deep at the CB position!(y);)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
3798.jpg

I just put this here...because....LOLOL

Oh....and I just saw this...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-this-season/
22. Los Angeles Rams (17)
Top overall grade: S Maurice Alexander, 83.4 (No. 19)

Top coverage grade: S Maurice Alexander, 84.5 (No. 9)

Top run-defense grade: S Maurice Alexander, 73.3 (No. 56)

Most snaps: S T.J. McDonald, 1,072

Los Angeles’ secondary is a difficult unit to gauge. Among the Rams’ four players with at least 699 snaps, their lowest-graded player in coverage was Lamarcus Joyner, at 78.3. But beyond those four, five of their other six defensive backs to see significant playing time graded under 45.0 in coverage. Troy Hill and E.J. Gaines allowed passer ratings over 130.0, recording the second- and fourth-highest passer ratings allowed among all NFL cornerbacks, respectively. The group as a whole was also tied for the league-lead for missed tackles by defensive backs, with 65. Los Angeles certainly has some pieces to work with, but needs to improve its starting base corner and depth.
Interesting huh??? Don't find Tru anywhere.....and NO...I still don't fully believe PFF....but it's easier to grade positions like corner...so the grade "should" be more accurate.