Money, Team, Winners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree @leoram when I heard he won't take the cut I was glad they got rid of him. I understand him wanting his money and don't begrudge that but I also don't want that QB.

To your point look at the Manning - Brady debate.

Manning took his first pay cut and makes 15m this year. 1 Championship and 8 one and outs.

Brady restructured his deals 4 or 5 times over his career. Getting paid 8M next year. 6 Super Bowl appearances 4 SB wins, 9 AFC championships.

Give me the guy like Brady who is more interested in winning than how much he is getting paid.

Brady is also married to a woman worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Kind of allows you to have a different outlook than most other players.

iced

Brady is also married to a woman worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Kind of allows you to have a different outlook than most other players.

And I'm sure he also has some cash flow from endorsements and/or advertising

Brady may have restructured his contract a couple of times But it never cost him a penny. they just restructured how and when he would get it!!
What's funny though is brady "didn't take a pay cut" at all - in fact, he got a raise.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you may have missed my point. Didn't say Brady was poor. He is a hall of fame QB who has played, what? 16 years? He has made money just because he has been around for a while. I bet Rodgers, Brees, Bradford to name a few have made more at their current points of their careers compared to Brady.

Point is Brady has never hamstrung his team with a bad contract. Look at Brees albatross. Brady has on numerous occasions reworked his deal.

Don't get me wrong, not saying he is a saint or sacrificing anything significant. But if Manning had done what Brady has done over his career he might have less 1 and dones in his career and more SB's

To the original point I want a QB more like Brady who will do what is best for the team and Bradford clearly didn't follow that mold.

i didn't miss your point. i just hate when people point at his base salary like he is a saint or he sacrificed a boatload of money. you did read he got a $30m signing bonus? sure he's taking a little less than what he's worth but it's fully guaranteed against injury. if he ends his career in training camp, preseason, regular season, whenever he gets fully paid. if the rams offered sam that kind of deal you can bet he would have signed it. but they didn't, they shipped him out as soon as a healthier alternative became available.

and btw, sam did restructure, bringing all his guarenteed money forward in 2012. for the last two seasons he gave them the option of cutting him without any large cap ramifications if it didn't work out. didn't get more money, released any security he had for the last two years of his contract. not sure what many wanted out of him.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where is the anger towards the Rams when they cut Wells, Long, or Langford? Weren't they part of the TEAM? They sacrificed themselves out there and got tossed aside when they weren't a good value for the Rams anymore - as countless players do every year in the NFL.

This is a career. Sure, it's easy to say that Sam has plenty of money and doesn't need more - but the owners have even more money - way more. How many of you have ever volunteered to take less money for the good of your workplace?

Of all pro athletes, NFL players have the worst CBA - unilateral contracts, extremely short career spans, and unbelievably hazardous working conditions.

I will never blame a player for holding out, refusing a pay cut, or otherwise getting every last dollar he can out of the league - even if it's my team he is holding hostage.

I recently sacrificed 5k to save a co-worker's job. If you care about your team, there are things more important than money. Owners may be about business but great teams are about more.