Monday's Sober Analysis of Bills Game (With Poll!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Was The Single Biggest Fact To Ram's Loss Yesterday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
After yesterdays frustrating loss to the Bills, I, like most of you, proceeded to beat my dogs mercilessly, and snap at my wife and daughter for no particular reason. (Actually I didn't. Don't do this. It won't end well for you. Besides, its...say it with me...just a game.)

As with most losses, it triggered the usual Pavlov's Fan responses:
  • Fire Fisher!
  • Keenum sucks! Start Goff!
  • Grob is a bust!
  • Our Oline sucks! Fire Coach Bou.
  • 7-9 Crap!
Did I miss any? Oh well. That is what the vent thread is for, I suppose. We get to release our frustrations about a loss callously delivered to us by fate. (Don't they know who we are?!) A fresh new scar delivered to our weathered Ram hearts.

When all we were looking for was a little ointment for our disappointment.... A little soothing salve for our souls....some balm for our beet red butts. OK stop!

After reading many of the usual laments from my Ram ROD brothers, (and some of my own), something didn't ring true about the fatalistic tone. I took a quick look at the box score this morning, looking for a silver lining to the disappointing loss. Some things stood out to me. Suffice to say:
  • The Bills Ran for 193 yards on the ground on 27 carries. If one saw this statistic without seeing the game, one would assume the Bills 1) Dominated the time of possession, and 2) Dominated the game.
  • Neither were true. The Bills rushing yards were really a tale of 2 situations: A.) When the Rams were out of control of the game, and B.) When the Rams regained control of the game.
A) Rams out of Control: Bills Opening Drive (TD). The Rams were adjusting their defense to the fact that 3 of 4 starting defensive linemen were out of the game. Yes, we all know this by now. But so did Sexy Rexy. He took advantage. McCoy 15, and 9 yards rushing. Taylor 22 yards. (3 rushes 46 yds alone) Bills 7-3.

Bills second drive. The Rams respond to the touchdown, after their own opening drive for a field goal, by driving to the Bills 30. Then a sack. Then Gurley fumbles. Defense races onto the field, still adjusting to the new starting lineup. Boom. McCoy 53 yards up the gut. Bills score again. Bills 13-3.

B) Rams in Control: Then the Rams defense settles down, forces 2 of their 6 three-and-outs on the day. McCoy and the running game was held in check. (The Rams Offense only had 2 three-and-outs on the day, or 3 if you count the botched fake punt)

The Rams offense showed tremendous character, chipping away at the lead with a field goal, and tying the game on an impressive drive, culminating in Gurley's 1 yard plunge. Rams Tie 13-13

A) Rams out of Control: Then, it happened again. The Rams take back the momentum of the game, with under 2 minutes to play in the half, and decide to relax the defense. (How many flipping times have the Rams done this over the years??!!! It is not just a Fisher thing. I remember with Knox, Malavasi, Robinson, even Vermeil and Martz. (But not Hamp Pool...Never Hamp Pool! (y) ) If there is 30 seconds left in the second quarter, the Rams will let teams march on down the field!!:mad:

2014-03-19-Hot-Knife-Through-Butter.jpg

...But I digress. Boom. McCoy 9, and 17 yds. Bills 16-13.

2nd Half

A) Rams in Control: Bills three-and-out (3), Rams drive down and tie the game 16-16. A pattern emerged- The offense was providing consistent, clutch scoring drives when they need them. Bills three-and-out (4). (But the Rams extend the drive on a bone-head :eek: running into the punter.) So what does the defense do in response? Bills three-and-out (5). (I'm using copy and paste right now, look at me. :cool: ) Two three and outs in the same drive. Yeah, that's how I choose to see it. (y) The defense was being somewhat dominant by now. It was mid 3rd quarter and there was a sense that the Rams would pull this thing off. Then.....:unsure:... (the 2:04 mark) ...the pick 6. Bills 23-16.

View: https://youtu.be/lxN-H2lXCaI

...but the Rams defense was still in control. After a Rams three-and-out, the Bills got 1 first down, then the Rams ran another clutch offensive drive into the Red Zone, but couldn't punch it in. With 5:55 to play in the game from the 4 yd line, Fisher elects to kick the field goal, Bills 23-19 *trusting his defense. It pays off: Bills three-and-out.

But then the Rams lose control...

B) Rams out of Control: The Rams offense stalls, playing very conservative, when they needed to drive down for a winning TD. Fourth down....(man, I bet Fisher would have given anything to be at the 4-yard line again, like he was a few minutes earlier.) 3:47 to go...What to do...fake a punt! *Not trusting his defense. Boom. didn't work. Bills ball at the Rams 25. McCoy 24 yds. Next play, TD Bills 30-19.

Keenum picked off again in desperation mode...over.

Final Tally:
B) Rams out of Control: Bills 8 carries 162 yds!!

A) Rams in control: Bills 19 carries 31 yds!!!

• First Downs: Rams 23-15
  • Time of Possession: Rams 35:34-24:26
  • Punts: Bills 6 Rams 2
  • Total Yards Rams 345 Bills 305
Definitely some silver linings. Turnovers hurt the Rams. Early defensive adjustments due to injuries, and late coaching blunders were responsible for this loss. Take heart boys.

:cheers:

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
It was a winnable game with our D-line healthy. Everything else was mostly as to be expected Rams ball.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Based off what I saw, and what Tree said is his presser, I say those Out of Control moments on defense don't occur as badly if our 3 starters are in. Tree says it was gap integrity on those plays.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Red zone inefficiency. If we come away with TDs on some of those drives, the rest doesn't even matter. Bring in Goff. We need his aggressiveness in the red zone. Britt and Quick are bid body WRs and are finally tuning the corner. This WR corps is ready to explode if you give them a chance.

But really, as others have said, it's a combo of all of the above.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I wouldn't pin that pick 6 on Case... I think our rookie WR Cooper ran a terrible route that resulted in the pick.

But there wasn't just 1 thing that created our loss... there were a multitude of helping hands with this one.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I wouldn't pin that pick 6 on Case... I think our rookie WR Cooper ran a terrible route that resulted in the pick.

But there wasn't just 1 thing that created our loss... there were a multitude of helping hands with this one.
Agreed. Sometimes we can't get out of our own way to success. This is what happens to young teams. Veteran teams don't make many mistakes, and when they do they can over come. We have a tendency to trip and stumble, and stumble, and stumble again, then get back on track... sometimes it ends up being too late.

RAMNATION

Rookie

That horizontal Fisherball is always a pick six waiting to happen. there seems to be a close call on a pick six every game.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Bills are a good team and the Rams aren't always.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great post my friend! :cheers: I chose fishers 4th down decisions. All were big reasons though.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Plus...The rook LB Forrest, especially on that 24 yard run for the dagger...Forrest had McCoy dead to rights 2 yards in the backfield and couldn't seal the deal...If they hold them to 3 there it's still a 7 point game. He'll get better.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great post my friend! :cheers: I chose fishers 4th down decisions. All were big reasons though.
Thanks. I'm actually shocked only 3/43 votes so far come up for Fisher being the main culprit. As I said, the emotion wears off, and we look and see there were other main factors. How about those rushing stats! EIGHT rushes, (including that one 22yd. scramble by Taylor) responsible for 162 of the 193 yards!!! Tree was right, it was lane breakdowns. It would have been a dominant overall performance by our D if we could have stopped HALF, just the 53, 17 and 24 yarders by McCoy and the 22 yard scramble by Taylor. That's 4 rushes 116 yards!!! Ouch. I know you can't look at these things stagnantly, but it is still telling. The rest of their carries other than those 4? -23 carries 77 yds.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
All of the things in the poll contributed to this loss to be sure.

However, IMHO the statistically biggest thing for sure was the pick 6.
When a team gets what I call a 'cheap' score - where the scoring team's offense is not even on the field, (i.e. pick 6, fumble recovery/TD, punt/kick off return) it's almost impossible for the team giving up the cheap score to win. I think the stats as I recall them are about 98% of the time a team gets a score like that (and the other team does not) they win. Of course if both teams get one it evens out.

I'm not saying a team should just give up and walk off the field if they surrender a 'cheap' score, just that it's hard to overcome it unless you get one to even things out.

Obviously some teams would be more likely to overcome something like that than others, but the Rams IMHO are one of the teams less likely to do so. Too shaky on offense IMO.

Just my thoughts......

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Sorry fellas, I think we lost because I dropped $250 on my online Sunday ticket login that morning at https://nflst.directv.com/

That option isn't in the poll....
long story version:
I've been bootlegging my sister and brother in-laws directv username/password for years now. But, He is working weekends a lot lately and has needed his streaming login back so he can keep up on games on his phone. I've been at risk of missing Rams games this year.

Directv sent a satellite tech out to my house with a work order to check me out for line of sight 2 weeks ago. The tech was was laughing when he got out of the truck. Now I have proof I can't get satellite at my house, but their "online only" Sunday Ticket option requires an "address eligibility" check. Since they use the USPS address verification system, nobody in my ski town qualifies. Every one in the town uses the local Post Office for mail. In my entire zip code, everyone is behind the ski mountain, no one can get satellite, and we are all disqualified for online eligibility check because our addresses are "NOT RECOGNIZED".

The morning of this game, my brother in law needs his password back again.

I go into hurry up 2 minute offense:

I remember my father in law (who is not a football fan) lives in a condo association. I enter his physical address into the address checker, and voila, he is eligible. I transfer him over $250. He gives me his credit card number (which has to have a mailing address match to eligibility address.)

I beat their fucking system! Yes!

So the day started out high (game day), went low (how the hell am I going to watch game), went high again (got my own sunday ticket login info-never to be bumped again)...and then eventually went low by those end of game 4th down decisions.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks. I'm actually shocked only 3/43 votes so far come up for Fisher being the main culprit. As I said, the emotion wears off, and we look and see there were other main factors. How about those rushing stats! EIGHT rushes, (including that one 22yd. scramble by Taylor) responsible for 162 of the 193 yards!!! Tree was right, it was lane breakdowns. It would have been a dominant overall performance by our D if we could have stopped HALF, just the 53, 17 and 24 yarders by McCoy and the 22 yard scramble by Taylor. That's 4 rushes 116 yards!!! Ouch. I know you can't look at these things stagnantly, but it is still telling. The rest of their carries other than those 4? -23 carries 77 yds.
Thats bad for sure. I think if any one of those choices had not happened, we win. Sigh. To many things went bad.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I seriously think that losing 3/4 of your starting D-line (especially as it's our team's strength) was a huge blow and we were always playing catchup. If Our line had been intact we would have eaten their QB in the first half and we'd have stuffed their run game game.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
BEAT DETROIT ON SUNDAY so we can put this Bills game away for good!!!!

The Rams were Out Coached and Out Played but not as bad as the score indicated...:icare:

nfl_meme.0.png