Monday Wrap-Up: Fisher Reviews the 2015 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Monday Wrap-Up: Fisher Reviews the 2015 Season

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Monday-Wrap-Up-Fisher-Reviews-the-2015-Season/07ff945b-b73f-4750-9621-7f7f82abf1bc

Head coach Jeff Fisher called Monday a "bittersweet" day around Rams Park, as the players came in for their exit physicals, a team meeting, and then departed for the offseason.

“Everything went fairly well as far as the physicals were concerned. Then we had our wrap-up meeting at 1 o’clock,” Fisher said. “There’s a lot of energy in the building. Guys are looking forward to getting started, but, obviously, they need some rest.” 

With a 7-9 finish for third place in the NFC West, St. Louis’ season did not go as planned. There were myriad reasons for it, but Fisher said one of the top priorities will be to improve the offense for 2016.

“We’ve got our work cut out for us this offseason. That’s where we’ve got to go. We’ve got to score points,” Fisher said. “Points, and third-down efficiency, and red-zone [efficiency] are very, very important to us.”

After Sunday’s contest, the Rams finished No. 32 in total yards, No. 32 in passing yards, and No. 29 in points. The issues at the quarterback position were well documented, though Case Keenum played well in spurts in relief of Nick Foles down the stretch.

“Case is an incomplete pass and a field goal away from potentially being 5-0 as a starter. He’s managing things well,” Fisher said. “I think he’s got a chance to be a really good quarterback.”

Fisher said, as of Monday, the Rams would have Keenum as the incumbent starter for next season. Lack of consistency at the quarterback position has undoubtedly hampered the team’s development as a whole over the last few seasons, as Fisher also said. But, Foles and Sean Mannion figure into the team’s plans at quarterback, too.

“We’re going to give Nick a chance to compete,” Fisher said. “There will be competition when we come back, and I think we have a promising young talent in Sean that will be in the mix as well.”

Coinciding with Keenum improving the offense was Rob Boras’ assumption of the duties of offensive coordinator. Fisher said there has not yet been a decision on if Boras’ role will become permanent, but there have been some endorsements.

“I’ll be addressing that over the next couple of days, but I have not made a decision with a respect to Rob. But, Rob certainly is deserving of an opportunity to take this over because I thought he did a really good job,” Fisher said.

“I thought Rob jumped in and took advantage of a very, very difficult situation. And I thought he handled it really well,” Fisher added. “I’ve had a number of players come by my office today saying, ‘We like coach Rob.’”

One area on offense where the Rams did excel was in the run game, led by rookie Todd Gurley. The running back out of Georgia finished No. 3 in yards rushing with 1,106 -- one of only seven players to eclipse 1,000 yards in 2015. Fisher said he’s expecting Gurley to be even better in 2016 with a full offseason under his belt.

“You come off this injury and that first year back, you can see the light and things,” Fisher said. “But, with an offseason program and strength and conditioning, he should be a different running back next year.”

Though the Rams did experience some growing pains up front, the offensive line settled down and protected the passer well. St. Louis surrendered the least amount of sacks in the league this season, with its quarterback getting taken down only 18 times.

“It’s pretty impressive how we protected the quarterback, especially over the last few weeks once we settled down up front,” Fisher said. “This is going to be a good group and it’s going to be a good group for a long time with depth.”

Defensively, the Rams made strides but, according to Fisher, gave up too many explosive plays -- particularly in the run game.

“We struggled in key games at times during the year in our run defense and we have to work on that,” Fisher said.

As the club heads into the offseason, there will be a number of decisions to make on upcoming restricted and unrestricted free agents. That goes for the Rams’ secondary in particular, as starters Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeod, and Mark Barron are headed into free agency.

“We’ve got some key free agents that we have to get back. That’s going to be our focus, especially in the secondary,” Fisher said. “We’ve drafted well there. They’ve produced. We’ve developed them and we don’t want to develop them for anyone else. So, we want to be sure that we’re able to get them back. We’re confident we can do that.”

“They want to be here,” Fisher added. “They’ve talked to enough players around the league and they know what it’s like elsewhere. They all want to be here, which is good.”

Though the Rams’ 2015 record was not what anyone wanted, Fisher said he still has confidence that the team is heading toward a bright future.

“Looking back, two or three games, a couple of missed field goals, a couple of overtime games and things are different,” Fisher said. “I believe in this team. I believe in the direction that we’re going. I believe that we’re building it right.”

TEAM AWARDS

Before the players went their separate ways, the club distributed a few awards to some deserving recipients.

Aaron Donald received the Daniel F. Reeves Memorial Award as the team MVP, after posting 85 tackles, 49 QB pressures, 29 QB hits and 22 tackles for loss, according to coaches’ review.

Todd Gurley received the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award as the Rams’ Rookie of the Year. Among NFL rookies, Gurley finished No. 1 in rushing yards (1,106), No. 1 in yards from scrimmage (1,294), No. 2 in total touchdowns (10) and No. 1 in 100-yard games (five) despite playing in only 13.

Cory Harkey received the Carl Ekern Spirit of the Game Award, which is given to the player who best exemplifies sportsmanship, ethic, and commitment to his teammates.

Brian Quick is the Rams’ winner of the Ed Block Courage Award, an honor he received for going through a strenuous rehab process after suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in 2014.

And Chris Long is the Rams’ Walter Payton Man of the Year Award winner, in recognition of his community involvement in the St. Louis region as well as his dedication to bring clean water to East Africa through his Waterboys initiative.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I watched this, and it sounds like staff changes to me.

beej

Rookie
Alrighty then somebody better coach up this qb squad. Because they are all coming back.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After disappointing 2015, Fisher's Rams looking ahead
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1fa8d3c8-99db-573b-96be-c8c3cca80b69.html

On a day traditionally known as Black Monday in the NFL, a day when many coaches and front offices execs get shown the door, Jeff Fisher is going nowhere.

Fisher seemed to be in a particularly good mood Monday at his season-ending news conference. You’d never know his Rams had just suffered a brutal season-ending loss to an inferior San Francisco team the day before.

“We were a field goal away from winning this football game,” Fisher said.

Or that he had just finished a 7-9 season, his fourth consecutive losing season since taking over in St. Louis in 2012. Instead, Fisher spoke like someone who knew he had the full backing of ownership, which apparently is the case.

“Looking back, two or three games, a couple missed field goals, a couple overtime games and things are different,” Fisher said. “But I believe in this team. I believe in the direction we’re going. I believe we’re building it right.”

Even so, Fisher expressed frustration that he hasn’t been able to get this team over the hump. He sincerely thought that 2015 would be the year.

“Yeah, I’m certainly disappointed,” Fisher said. “We had high expectations this year coming into this thing. We felt like we were built and equipped to compete in the division and make a run.

“Again, as every coach will tell you, injuries are not excuses. But we played most of the year without Rob Quinn (back), and Alec Ogletree (leg), and T.J. McDonald (shoulder). And then lost corners and had some issues up front with the offensive line, and then we had to make a change at the quarterback position.

“I think we’re in position to go now. I know no one looks forward to playing us. I know that.”

It’s well-documented that Fisher took over a franchise that was in terrible shape in 2012 — an NFL-record worst 15-65 in the five years preceding his arrival. But after an impressive 7-8-1 bounce-back to respectability in 2012, Fisher’s Rams have been stuck in neutral, going 7-9 in 2013, 6-10 in 2014 and 7-9 again this season.

“It’s taken time,” Fisher said. “It was not a good situation when we got here. We’ve had inconsistent quarterback play. We’ve started a number of quarterbacks.

“Our focus has been in the division, and to compete with the division. We’ve shown that we can do that — we just have to be more consistent outside the division.”

As for the potential relocation of the franchise, Fisher said he addressed the topic with the team Monday.

“I’ve been through this experience before,” Fisher said. “We have to take the approach, and with the assumption, that everything’s taking place here in St. Louis until we’re told otherwise.

“I don’t have any more information than you (reporters) do. I’ve chosen not to ask questions, so I can tell the truth when I’m asked questions.”

For now, Fisher and his staff are occupied with the normal season-ending chores: Wrap-up meetings, exit physicals for the players. Fisher hinted strongly Monday that there will be some coaching staff changes, changes that will be announced sooner rather than later — probably before the week’s out.

Moving forward, Fisher said that as things stand right now, Case Keenum is the team’s starting quarterback for 2016.

“I have confidence in Case,” Fisher said. “Case is an incomplete pass and a field goal away from potentially being 5-0 as a starter. Manages things well. He worked really well with Rob (Boras) and (Chris) Weinke over the last few weeks, and I feel good about his development. I think he’s got a chance to be a really good quarterback.”

Weinke is the team’s quarterbacks coach; Boras was offensive coordinator for the final four games.

Fisher said he has spoken with Nick Foles on the topic and assured him that he will be given a chance to compete for the job.

“There’ll be competition when we come back, and I think we have a promising young talent in Sean (Mannion) that will be in the mix as well,” Fisher said. “But Case is gonna come back as the starter.”

And Fisher said quarterback is a position the Rams will look at bolstering in the offseason, be it through the draft, free agency, or a trade.

“Of course it is,” Fisher said. “We’ll look at all of the positions, but we’ll look at that position as well.”

And if the Rams add a quarterback at some point in the offseason, that could be it for Foles in St. Louis.

Improving the offense will be a major point of emphasis this offseason after a year in which the Rams finished 32nd in total offense and scored fewer than 20 points in all nine losses.

In particular, Fisher said the team plans to add to its talent base outside at wide receiver.

Overall, Fisher said he was very pleased with the work of Boras as offensive coordinator, although he has yet to decide if that promotion will be permanent.

“Again, a blocked field goal away from winning four straight,” Fisher said. “Rob jumped in and took advantage of a very, very difficult situation. And I thought he handled it really well. I’ve had a number of players come by my office today saying, ‘We like Coach Rob.’

“I have not made a decision with respect to Rob. But Rob certainly is deserving of an opportunity to take this over because I thought he did a really good job.”

Defensively, the No. 1 area Fisher said he wants to improve is the run defense. In terms of free agency, there’s a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball, particularly in the secondary where Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Rodney McLeod and linebacker-safety hybrid Mark Barron are all scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

“We’ll start the evaluation process,” Fisher said. “Go back and we’ll discuss our restricted free agents, our unrestricted free agents, and prioritize things from a coaching perspective.”

On special teams, the biggest issue is what to do at place-kicker, where Greg Zuerlein struggled through a tough year.

“Greg’s been asked to do a lot of things, kick a lot of long field goals,” Fisher said. “Obviously, his numbers aren’t what we hoped they would be. We have confidence in him, but in all likelihood there’ll probably be some competition in camp next year, which will make him better.”

And that’s assuming Zuerlein, who’s scheduled for unrestricted free agency, is back with the team next season.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Team announces 2015 awards
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_823aa792-1bd2-5c42-a3dc-686df84c1ea1.html

After closing out the season Sunday with a 19-16 overtime loss to the host San Francisco 49ers, the Rams took exit physicals, cleaned out their lockers and met before heading their separate ways for the offseason.

They also voted on team awards for the season.

Not surprisingly, defensive tackle Aaron Donald received the Daniel F. Reeves Memorial Award as MVP, with running back Todd Gurley honored with the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award as the team’s top rookie.

Tight end and special teams standout Cory Harkey was named the Carl Ekern Spirit of the Game Award winner, with wide receiver Brian Quick receiving the Ed Block Courage Award winner, an honor given to the player on the team who overcame adversity.

Earlier, defensive end Chris Long was named as the team’s Walter Payton Man of the Year Award winner in recognition of his commitment to community service.

A second-year pro from Pitt, Donald earned a second Pro Bowl invitation as one of the league’s dominant interior linemen. His 11 sacks, which fell one short of the club record held by D’Marco Farr, tied for seventh in the NFL and tied for first among defensive tackles. He finished the season with 85 tackles, 49 quarterback pressures, 29 quarterback hits and 22 tackles for loss.

“I’ve said this week after week, but this was a very, very dominating game up front by Aaron. It was really, really impressive,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in his Monday meeting at Rams Park. Against the 49ers on Sunday, Donald recorded five quarterback pressures and four quarterback hits. “He gets my vote for (NFL) defensive MVP (and) it’s nothing against (Houston defensive end) J.J. Watt or anybody else. Maybe they’ll have co-winners.’’

Limited to 13 games by injury, Gurley finished third in the NFL with 1,106 rushing yards and scored 10 touchdowns, joining Hall of Famers Jerome Bettis and Eric Dickerson as the only Rams rookies to surpass the 1,000-yard mark. The 10th pick in last spring’s draft, he led all rookies in rushing, yards from scrimmage (1,294) and 100-yard rushing games (five) and was second in touchdowns.

The spirit award goes to the player who best exemplifies sportsmanship, hard work and commitment to teammates, and Harkey, a fourth-year pro, embodies those qualities. He played in all 16 games, starting six, while showcasing his versatility and toughness as a fullback, tight end and core special teamer.

In the midst of a breakout season in 2014, Quick had already established career highs in catches (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (three) when he suffered a career-threatening shoulder injury in a Week 8 loss at Kansas City. Still working his way back to top form, Quick played in 13 games and made three starts this season, finishing with 10 catches for 102 yards.

“He spent the whole offseason rehabbing, so he didn’t get to spend (time) preparing from a football standpoint,’’ Fisher said. “I think he was set back. But he’s healthy now; he’s lucky to be playing. … He needs to have a really good offseason this year and become much more consistent.’’

Since joining the Rams in 2008, Long has been heavily involved in the team’s community outreach efforts, mainly through military appreciation, cyber-bullying awareness and addressing homelessness. This year, he added to that by establishing his Waterboys initiative to help provide clean water to East Africa. Long is one of 32 nominees for the Payton Man of the Year honor, which will be announced during the fifth annual NFL Honors awards show the night before the Super Bowl in early February.
DEFENSIVE NUMBERS

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson paced the defensive effort Sunday, finishing with 10 tackles, including nine solos. Other tackle leaders vs. San Francisco were safety Maurice Alexander (Eureka High) with nine and nickel back Lamarcus Joyner with eight. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, safety Rodney McLeod and defensive end Matt Longacre were in on seven tackles apiece.

Donald enjoyed another disruptive game with five quarterback pressures, four quarterback hits and a pass deflection.

That pass deflection resulted in a Eugene Sims interception that was returned 42 yards to set up a Tre Mason 4-yard touchdown that put the Rams on top 13-10 late in the first half.

Long had the day’s lone sack, his third of the season.

Safety-turned-linebacker Mark Barron finished as the team’s leading tackler with 135, including 107 solos. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, who surpassed Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen to become the franchise leader in tackles early this season, finished with 114. With 106 stops, McLeod also eclipsed the 100-tackle mark.

Johnson led the Rams this season with a career-best seven interceptions.
RAM-BLINGS

Trumaine Johnson and Johnny Hekker were fined for plays in the Dec. 27 victory at Seattle. Johnson was fined $23,152 for unnecessary roughness on a hit against tight end Luke Wilson, with Hekker being docked $8,681 for his post-punt shove of defensive end Cliff Avril.

• One of five teams to finish 7-9, the Rams will select at No. 15 in the first round of the draft, which is slated for April 28-30 in Chicago.

Tennessee will have the No. 1 overall selection, with Cleveland, San Diego, Dallas, Jacksonville, Baltimore, San Francisco, Miami, Tampa Bay, the New York Giants, Chicago, New Orleans, Philadelphia and Oakland expected to make picks before the Rams.

• Linebacker and core special teamer Daren Bates suffered a knee injury in Sunday’s loss.

“He’ll be OK, he’s got a mild MCL (strain),’’ Fisher said. “He tried to come back. We tried to tape it, but he couldn’t finish the game.’’

• Dallas signed former Rams cornerback Brandon McGee to a futures contract Monday. McGee was a fifth-round selection by St. Louis in 2013 who struggled with foot issues here.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Here's what I like:

1. Jeff is a great communicator and does an excellent job with organization, continuity, detailed memory of specific plays, and an overall ability to commit to a unified plan until results prove otherwise.

2. This staff has identified tremendous talent. That talent is good enough to win consistently barring key injuries. The talent overall does match the team's philosophy.

3. Fisher recognized possible improvements in the coaching staff. Boras may well be retained but Jeff will explore necessary improvements.

What I didn't like

1. Coach Fisher seems too content with winning games

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
"with wide receiver Brian Quick receiving the Ed Block Courage Award winner, an honor given to the player on the team who overcame adversity."

Nothing further to say.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher undecided on offensive coordinator, hints at other changes
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-offensive-coordinator-hints-at-other-changes

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher didn't announce any changes to his coaching staff on Monday night. But he might as well have.

On multiple occasions in his 20-plus minute season-ending news conference, Fisher made reference to possible forthcoming changes to his staff. He even went so far as to allude to a follow up news conference on Wednesday to discuss whatever changes he has in store.

“We’ll start the evaluation process," Fisher said. "Go back and we’ll discuss our restricted free agents, our unrestricted free agents and prioritize things from a coaching perspective. Then, we’ll get the ball rolling as far as the self-scouting and things like that. Separately from them, I’ll be dealing with when and if there’s going to be and potential staff changes.”

Staff changes have become a common occurrence for the Rams since Fisher arrived in 2012. Although there haven't been many in total, there have been plenty of important alterations, namely at the two coordinator positions, every offseason since Fisher arrived. The offensive coordinator job is at the top of this year's list as Fisher sorts through his various staff options.

Fisher fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti with four games left in the season, elevating assistant Rob Boras in his place. The Rams' offense showed signs of life under Boras, going 3-1 in those games. While the numbers didn't show much in the way of substantial offensive improvement, Fisher said Monday he was pleased with how Boras handled the job.

“A blocked field goal away from winning four straight," Fisher said. "The operation was really good. He and [quarterbacks coach] Chris [Weinke] communicated really well. The plays were coming out. There were no issues. The only times we had issues was if we had it with the coach-to-quarterback device. I thought Rob jumped in and took advantage of a very, very difficult situation. And I thought he handled it really well. I’ve had a number of players come by my office today saying, ‘We like Coach Rob.’”

Despite those endorsements, Fisher said he has not yet made a decision on whether to keep Boras in that role or go with other options. Given Fisher's penchant for being deliberate about such hires, it wouldn't surprise if he at least took a closer look at potential outside choices. He took his time before settling on Cignetti over Boras a year ago.

“I have not made a decision at this point," Fisher said. "We landed late last night. We’re all tired, as you are. There’s a potential for staff changes as there always is every year. I’ll be addressing that over the next couple of days, but I have not made a decision with a respect to Rob. But, Rob certainly is deserving of an opportunity to take this over because I thought he did a really good job.”

Beyond the decision at offensive coordinator, it stands to reason the Rams will be looking to make other changes to the offensive staff after that unit finished last in the NFL in yards per game. The receiver group and offensive line, to name two, have been consistent sources of consternation over the past few seasons.

Wherever the changes come, from all indications, we'll know them sooner than later.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
"with wide receiver Brian Quick receiving the Ed Block Courage Award winner, an honor given to the player on the team who overcame adversity."

Nothing further to say.

The award is not given for stats/play. For Quick to simply get out there with the extent of his injury (which looked career threatening at first) is an accomplishment in itself. Not saying we should retain the guy or that he'll ever live up to his potential, but give the guy a break.

FRO

Legend
Alrighty then somebody better coach up this qb squad. Because they are all coming back.
That's what I took out of it too and it's sad. Thinking we can run the same QBs out there next year and have a different result is stupid.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That's what I took out of it too and it's sad. Thinking we can run the same QBs out there next year and have a different result is stupid.
Unfortunately, Stupid is as Stupid does!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Unfortunately, Stupid is as Stupid does!

I thought Keenum played really well. With a decent group of receivers he may have looked damn good. He is going to get us further than ANY QB we will be in position to draft.

Athos

Legend
The delusion runs high with Fisher regarding QBs.

And quite frankly, I'm beginning g to be annoyed with him outside of just football. Just so incredibly irritating.

Foles will compete.

Keenum starter.

FG away from 5-0.

Coulda shoulda woulda. Always Fisher.

Athos

Legend
I thought Keenum played really well. With a decent group of receivers he may have looked damn good. He is going to get us further than ANY QB we will be in position to draft.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't know what world Keenum played really well other than compared to Foles he was the hot chick at the party.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Can Fisher actually coach a team with a good offense? I'm pretty sure each year he knew the offense needed improvement. Yet, there has been no improvement from year one to year four. I'm not hopeful there will be improvement in year five. Not with the personnel we have coming back.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't know what world Keenum played really well other than compared to Foles he was the hot chick at the party.

See, that's where people lose me. If you're looking for Brady, Rogers, Brees than you're going to be severely disappointed. They are not going to be in this draft, nor will you find one in FA. Just because a player isn't putting up superstar numbers, doesn't mean he wasn't playing really well. Keenum is the reason we had that win streak to close out the year. Keenum isn't going to take over a game with no receivers and no running game (see 49ers game) but with Gurley and some actual receivers he will produce.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
See, that's where people lose me. If you're looking for Brady, Rogers, Brees than you're going to be severely disappointed. They are not going to be in this draft, nor will you find one in FA. Just because a player isn't putting up superstar numbers, doesn't mean he wasn't playing really well. Keenum is the reason we had that win streak to close out the year. Keenum isn't going to take over a game with no receivers and no running game (see 49ers game) but with Gurley and some actual receivers he will produce.

Good points.

I like Keenum.

I just want a little more arm strength from the starting QB.

We'll add someone.

Keenum, Mannion, NEW GUY