Mocks draft as of 10/4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
WalterFootball is a joke. @jrry32 and a lot of people on here make better mocks than that pile of crap website.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I currently believe LB'er, CB & OL depth will take precedence for our 2018 free agency & draft success, with slightly less interest at Safety & TE.

With what should be a large amount of CAP space availability entering the 2018 season, even after re-signing Donald & Watkins, these are some of the potential free agent additions i'm presently scouting for us :

Center :
Weston Richburg - NYG
Spencer Long - Was (McVay is familiar with Long)

OG :
Josh Kline - Ten

ILB :
Kevin Minter - Cin
Todd Davis - Den (Wade Phillips is familiar with Davis)

OLB :
Tahir Whitehead - Det

My extreme longshot at TE if Higbee tanks is Tyler Eifert - Cin (Whitworth is familiar with Eifert)

2018 Draft :

Perhaps a trade down for a 2'nd rounder or maybe a trade to boost up a current draft position. My understanding is we hold a 1, 3, 4, 5 & three 6's. A 7'th round pick is in question as he is based on the 'conditional' pick for the traded Chris Givens. These are some of the guys i'm presently keying on, high & low in the draft, should we find ourselves in position to make it happen :

CB :
Tarvarus McFadden - Fl.St.

ILB :
Cameron Smith - USC

OLB :
Mike McCray - Mi.

OT :
Trey Adams - Was.

FS :
Jamar Summers - Cn.

SS :
Trey Marshall - Fl.St

DT :
Lowell Lotulelei - Ut.

jmo.

Memento

Name
Jemma
All right, I guess I should put a mock offseason here, since @Riverumbbq did.

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - 6 years, 12 million per year.
Sammy Watkins - 6 years, 11 million per year.
Alec Ogletree - 4 years, 6 million per year.
Lamarcus Joyner - 4 years, 5 million per year.
Nickel Robey-Coleman - 3 years, 4 million per year.
Maurice Alexander - 1 year, 3 million per year.
Jake McQuaide - 3 years, 1 million per year.
Matt Longacre - RFA
Malcolm Brown - RFA
Darrell Williams - RFA

(Obvious choices. I know that Mo is struggling right now, but a one-year contract for a guy who has played good in the past and can play both safety spots is very valuable. McQuaide is Mr. Reliable when it comes to long-snappers. NRC is a top nickelback. Ogletree, I expect to get out of his slump. Joyner can man the free safety position for the next four years. Donald and Watkins are obvious extensions. Longacre, Brown, and Williams are obvious choices to keep as RFAs.)

Cut:

Robert Quinn
Rodger Saffold
Ethan Westbrooks
Mark Barron

(I dislike having to cut Barron, but he saves us a ton of money, and he's too light for linebacker anyway - as I don't believe that he can consistently play strong safety. I'd give that spot to JJ3. Westbrooks lost my support after his arrest, and I don't think he fits in Wade's system anyway. Quinn and Saffold are obvious.)

Release:

Trumaine Johnson
Troy Hill
Connor Barwin
John Sullivan
Cody Davis
Dominique Easley
Tyrunn Walker
Lance Dunbar
Derek Carrier
Cornelius Lucas
Bradley Marquez

(Tru can find another place willing to pay him money. Hill, I dislike, and he's not a good cornerback, so he is released. Barwin is ineffective, and as much as I like Sullivan, I worry for his health. Davis is replaced by depth, Easley is injured, Walker is replaced by depth (Omarius Bryant is my choice), Dunbar won't re-sign after this year, Carrier is replaced by Hemingway, and Lucas and Marquez are mere depth.)

Free Agency:

Weston Richberg (center) - 5 years, 7 million per year.
Malcolm Butler (cornerback) - 5 years, 7 million per year.

(Richberg solves the center rpoblems, while Butler takes over the number one cornerback job.)

Trade:

Tavon Austin to Baltimore Ravens for second round pick.

(It's no secret that Baltimore lacks playmakers for Flacco. This gives them a playmaker for a second round pick that probably won't have the same impact that Austin will.)

Sean Mannion and fifth round pick to the Miami Dolphins for fourth round pick.

(The Dolphins QB situation is a total mess. Tannehill is terrible, Cutler will likely retire, and they have nothing behind them. I like Mannion, but let's get something for him.)

Draft:

1 - Trey Adams, LT, Washington.

2 (Ravens) - Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa.

3 - Iman Marshall, CB, USC.

4 (Dolphins) - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT/OG, Western Michigan.

4 - Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas.

6 (Lions) - Sione Teuhema, OLB, Southeast Louisiana.

6 (Bills) - Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida.

6 - Jake Browning, QB, Washington.

7 (Ravens) - Terry Beckner Jr., DE, Missouri.

(Jewell has been rated all over the place, as has Marshall, Adams, and Okorafor. I view him as a second round pick, but there's a chance he goes higher. Adams is a solid left tackle who will likely succeed Whitworth. Adams is a consistent first round pick except on CBS, where he's an early fourth round pick. I view Okorafor as a potential first round pick, but he's extremely raw, which is going to make him fall a bit. Malik Jefferson apparently does't have a love for football, but I'm willing to scoop him up because of his talent. Callaway is the Austin replacement, and has bhome run potential every time he touches the ball. The only concern is off-the-field, which is major. Teuhema is an underrated outside linebacker who played through an ACL injury and still produced. Browning is the Mannion replacement. Marshall competes with Webster. He's been rated from first to third, so I think that he's a third. And it wouldn't be a Memento mock draft without a homer pick. I think that Beckner Jr. is like a lesser version of Easley. He's been injured and suspended for marijuana, but he's a very talented player.)

TexasRam

Legend
Why in the world would we cut Saffold and why would it be obvious. He is a huge part of our offensive Success.

Sullivan and Saffold aren’t going anywhere. Sully is getting a long term deal if he plays a full season at this level.

Long season ahead to see who stays healthy and how it all plays out. But I at least try hard to get Trumaine locked up. I’m as of now not resigning Olgeltree or Alexander.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why in the world would we cut Saffold and why would it be obvious. He is a huge part of our offensive Success.

Sullivan and Saffold aren’t going anywhere. Sully is getting a long term deal if he plays a full season at this level.

Long season ahead to see who stays healthy and how it all plays out. But I at least try hard to get Trumaine locked up. I’m as of now not resigning Olgeltree or Alexander.

I like Saffold, but he's making a ton of money, which is needed for re-signing Donald and Watkins, among others. I love how Sullivan is playing, but he'll be 32 at the end of the season, and he's had injury concerns for quite some time. That's why it's obvious.

Fair point on Tru. I disagree on Tree and Mo. Mo's worth a lot as a backup safety, and Tree has the potential to imrpove.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the guys at Walter Football watch the Rams play about once every few years and make their mocks. I didn't read it because I don't care but they probably don't even know Fisher got fired.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
My extreme longshot at TE if Higbee tanks is Tyler Eifert - Cin (Whitworth is familiar with Eifert)

no no no no no no no no. Lets stay away from guys that can't stay on the field please!

@Memento I know this is silly to say at this point but I'd be shocked if Malik lasted until the 2nd round but the 4th just doesn't seem possible to me. He's one of the few people I've looked at and wouldn't be surprised to see him be a top 20 pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was looking the other day and I know I told @BonifayRam I would make up a free agent target list. It's really early to do that but I looked a lot at the ILB list. I'm keeping an eye on these names:

Kevin Minter - Cincy, Todd Davis - Denver, Zach Brown - Redskins and Preston Brown. All will be UFA and are young. Davis makes a ton of sense having started for Wade in Denver so he's my top choice.

As for the draft I'm all for taking our future LT and have advocated that in the first round but I'm less sure about doing that this year. If we pick middle of the round to late round it could be an ideal spot to take one there though there could be a couple edge guys and an ILB or two even in the 1st that would warrant the spot. There are always CB that will warrant a pick around there as well.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
no no no no no no no no. Lets stay away from guys that can't stay on the field please!

@Memento I know this is silly to say at this point but I'd be shocked if Malik lasted until the 2nd round but the 4th just doesn't seem possible to me. He's one of the few people I've looked at and wouldn't be surprised to see him be a top 20 pick.

Well, ... I did say "extreme longshot". First, Higbee would have to bust, and it's still way too early to call him out on that. Second, the Rams would probably have to give up on the thought of maintaining 7 WR's on the roster if Higbee sticks. Third, Eifert would have to be extremely inexpensive based on his health concerns, but if we could get him back up to his 2015 statistical performances paired with Everett as the # 1 TE, we might build a very dangerous unit for a very small cost. Forth, it is all rather unlikely anyway with Hemmingway returning from IR next season and having Mundt ready & willing on the practice squad, ... I just like the idea of having a stand-out TE corps. I also don't believe McVay's man Carrier is going anywhere being the best blocker of the bunch. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, ... I did say "extreme longshot". First, Higbee would have to bust, and it's still way too early to call him out on that. Second, the Rams would probably have to give up on the thought of maintaining 7 WR's on the roster if Higbee sticks. Third, Eifert would have to be extremely inexpensive based on his health concerns, but if we could get him back up to his 2015 statistical performances paired with Everett as the # 1 TE, we might build a very dangerous unit for a very small cost. Forth, it is all rather unlikely anyway with Hemmingway returning from IR next season and having Mundt ready & willing on the practice squad, ... I just like the idea of having a stand-out TE corps. I also don't believe McVay's man Carrier is going anywhere being the best blocker of the bunch. jmo.
Fair enough wanting Eifert, I don't want his injured broken down 27 year old body anywhere near a Rams team.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tyler-eifert/6680

Secondly I think we already have a stand-out TE corps. Just let them develop.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All right, I guess I should put a mock offseason here, since @Riverumbbq did.

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - 6 years, 12 million per year.
Sammy Watkins - 6 years, 11 million per year.
Lamarcus Joyner - 4 years, 5 million per year.
Maurice Alexander - 1 year, 3 million per year.
Jake McQuaide - 3 years, 1 million per year.
Matt Longacre - RFA
Malcolm Brown - RFA
Darrell Williams - RFA

(Obvious choices. I know that Mo is struggling right now, but a one-year contract for a guy who has played good in the past and can play both safety spots is very valuable. McQuaide is Mr. Reliable when it comes to long-snappers. NRC is a top nickelback. Ogletree, I expect to get out of his slump. Joyner can man the free safety position for the next four years. Donald and Watkins are obvious extensions. Longacre, Brown, and Williams are obvious choices to keep as RFAs.)

Cut:

Robert Quinn
Rodger Saffold
Ethan Westbrooks
Mark Barron

(I dislike having to cut Barron, but he saves us a ton of money, and he's too light for linebacker anyway - as I don't believe that he can consistently play strong safety. I'd give that spot to JJ3. Westbrooks lost my support after his arrest, and I don't think he fits in Wade's system anyway. Quinn and Saffold are obvious.)

Release:

Trumaine Johnson
Troy Hill
Connor Barwin
John Sullivan
Cody Davis
Dominique Easley
Tyrunn Walker
Lance Dunbar
Derek Carrier
Cornelius Lucas
Bradley Marquez

(Tru can find another place willing to pay him money. Hill, I dislike, and he's not a good cornerback, so he is released. Barwin is ineffective, and as much as I like Sullivan, I worry for his health. Davis is replaced by depth, Easley is injured, Walker is replaced by depth (Omarius Bryant is my choice), Dunbar won't re-sign after this year, Carrier is replaced by Hemingway, and Lucas and Marquez are mere depth.)

Free Agency:

Weston Richberg (center) - 5 years, 7 million per year.
Malcolm Butler (cornerback) - 5 years, 7 million per year.

(Richberg solves the center rpoblems, while Butler takes over the number one cornerback job.)

Trade:

Tavon Austin to Baltimore Ravens for second round pick.

(It's no secret that Baltimore lacks playmakers for Flacco. This gives them a playmaker for a second round pick that probably won't have the same impact that Austin will.)

Sean Mannion and fifth round pick to the Miami Dolphins for fourth round pick.

(The Dolphins QB situation is a total mess. Tannehill is terrible, Cutler will likely retire, and they have nothing behind them. I like Mannion, but let's get something for him.)

Draft:

1 - Trey Adams, LT, Washington.

2 (Ravens) - Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa.

3 - Iman Marshall, CB, USC.

4 (Dolphins) - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT/OG, Western Michigan.

4 - Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas.

6 (Lions) - Sione Teuhema, OLB, Southeast Louisiana.

6 (Bills) - Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida.

6 - Jake Browning, QB, Washington.

7 (Ravens) - Terry Beckner Jr., DE, Missouri.

(Jewell has been rated all over the place, as has Marshall, Adams, and Okorafor. I view him as a second round pick, but there's a chance he goes higher. Adams is a solid left tackle who will likely succeed Whitworth. Adams is a consistent first round pick except on CBS, where he's an early fourth round pick. I view Okorafor as a potential first round pick, but he's extremely raw, which is going to make him fall a bit. Malik Jefferson apparently does't have a love for football, but I'm willing to scoop him up because of his talent. Callaway is the Austin replacement, and has bhome run potential every time he touches the ball. The only concern is off-the-field, which is major. Teuhema is an underrated outside linebacker who played through an ACL injury and still produced. Browning is the Mannion replacement. Marshall competes with Webster. He's been rated from first to third, so I think that he's a third. And it wouldn't be a Memento mock draft without a homer pick. I think that Beckner Jr. is like a lesser version of Easley. He's been injured and suspended for marijuana, but he's a very talented player.)

I agree on your re-sign list except for Ogletree, i'd let him walk. Tru Johnson should be on this list also as he's to become a free agent, but I let him go nonetheless. Alexander I could go either way with, but am leaning towards re-signing him with the knowledge he won't be starting.

I agree with your cut list, but lean towards retaining Saffold for the final year of his contract, ... so long as he remains healthy all season. His pass pro has fallen off a good deal since last season, but his rush blocking is very good. His 2018 CAP hit isn't out of line with his vet skill level, but he only has a 'dead cap' hit of $1.mil. if we decide to move on from him. I believe he gets to finish out his contract unless we draft a high round LT to eventually replace Whitworth, where the new guy could play OG until he's ready to take over in 2020.

I'd be keeping at least 5 of the players on your release list, and possibly 6 once we have a better idea about his abilities. I have no opinion on Cornelius Lucas because i've never seen him do anything, so I just can't say. Sullivan, Easley, Davis, Walker & Carrier stick imo. If Sullivan continues his current play and remains healthy, he gets another year or two. Davis is still a solid Special Teams player and is fine as a reserve Safety. Walker is the bubble player who may get bumped in free agency or the draft, but I have no problem with him staying if we can't improve on him. Easley stays if healthy because I hate cutting a player based on an injury, and he would be our best reserve behind Brockers at LDE, especially with Westbrooks now gone. Carrier is McVay's man from Washington and is our best in-line blocker, doubt he's going anywhere. None of these guys are on long-term or expensive contracts, so they mostly stay imo.

If the Rams are offered a high 2'nd rounder for Austin, we'd have to take it, but I don't think such an offer is forthcoming. jmo.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Yea there is almost zero chance the Rams cut Saffold. Re-signing Sullivan would be at the very top of the Rams list as well.

Saffold is worth every bit of his 7.5 mil and I am signing Sullivan at around the same or more if I have to.

The Oline is absolutely critical to the offensive Success. Both those guys have been very solid. That is not easy to fill.

Look what happened to Dallas when they lost two of their lineman. Not their Pro Bowlers mind you, their other guys.

They are just not the same team. Everyone thinks there is a problem with Zeke or Dak. There isn’t. It’s losing Doug Free and Ronald Leary.

I agree on letting Quinn go. That frees up 12.4 million. We will have plenty of cap to sign Donald, Keep Saffold and sign Sullivan. I am drafting their eventual replacements.

Our WR depth is terrific. I try to sign Watkins but if not I am counting on Josh Reynolds, Cooper etc to step
Up.

The quickest way to send Goff and Gurley back to middle school hell is to start jacking with the Oline. I am keeping the big 5 together and drafting their eventual replacements.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thought I would add my worthless 2 cents on your suggested future Re-signs:My remarks are in Dark Red
Aaron Donald - 6 years, 12 million per year. AD will not sign this contract he will demand a
Ndamukong Suh type salary. better prepare for his departure in the draft.:(
Sammy Watkins - 6 years, 11 million per year.(y)
I am not sure yet that Tree is a fit for this defense :cautious:
Lamarcus Joyner - 4 years, 5 million per year. A bit high but your close(y)
NRC is not a starting outside corner I would offer him a 4 yr contact for 3 mil a season.(y)
Maurice Alexander - 1 year, 3 million per year.:((n)
Jake McQuaide - 3 years, 1 million per year.(y)
Matt Longacre - RFA:yess:
Malcolm Brown - RFA:yess:
Darrell Williams - RFA:)

Cut:
Robert Quinn Yes !Should be benched ASAP
Rodger Saffold NO
Ethan Westbrooks NO
Mark Barron NO

Release:
Trumaine Johnson UFA
Troy Hill
Connor Barwin
RESIGN
John Sullivan RESIGN
Cody Davis
Dominique EasleyM
Tyrunn Walker
RESIGN
Lance Dunbar
Derek Carrier
RESIGN
Cornelius Lucas
Bradley Marquez

Free Agency:
Weston Richberg (center) - 5 years, 7 million per year.(n)
Malcolm Butler (cornerback) - 5 years, 7 million per year.(n)

Spencer Long OC/OG 4yrs @ 14 million

Trade:
Tavon Austin to Baltimore Ravens for second round pick. No Trade
Sean Mannion and fifth round pick to the Miami Dolphins for fourth round pick. No Trade
Mychal Kendricks ILB Phildelphia Eagles for Ram 6th & 7 rd selections & assume his sallary.

Draft:
Rams do not have 2nd rd selection.
On the Draft ....Snead needs a LT& OC, 2 outside CB's & 2 ILB'ers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thought I would add my worthless 2 cents on your suggested future Re-signs:My remarks are in Dark Red

On the Draft ....Snead needs a LT& OC, 2 outside CB's & 2 ILB'ers.

I'd add draft OR free agency ... and also include at least 1 OLB. If we play it right, we should be well able to re-sign both Donald & Watkins and have plenty of $$$ left over for significant free agency spending. The draft should be able to provide one or two starters and a bevy of developmental guys to help secure a strong future. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd add draft OR free agency ... and also include at least 1 OLB. If we play it right, we should be well able to re-sign both Donald & Watkins and have plenty of $$$ left over for significant free agency spending. The draft should be able to provide one or two starters and a bevy of developmental guys to help secure a strong future. jmo.

My thoughts on using cap funds on UFA 34 "D" Edge Rushers...serious waste of $$$, instead use the later half of the draft where Tweeners (OSLB) are thick as fleas on a hounds back to find these needed players. It does appear Snead/McVay/Wade fill the same way after they secured a couple in the 2017 draft & found another ER @ the WWC. On the flip side they also spent 3.5 million for one season on a ex All Pro ER who played for Wade previously Conner Barwin which just happen to be a bargain priced rarity. I feel that veteran ER CB might be open for a longer future contract for a decent cost.

If the Rams have cap $$$ for use on other NFL teams UFA's then utilize prioritize it on OL'ers. In today's NFL it takes a half decade or even more to stew up a proper functioning OL'er. WE are still stewing & cooking up the 2015 Ram drafted OL'ers Havenstein 2nd rd., Brown 3rd rd., Donnal 4th rd. My #1 priority is the Skins Interior OL'er Spencer Long as our top target in UFA'cy in 2018.

I sure would like to sign Sammy Watkins to a future 3 yr contract.That helps with the loss of the 2018 2nd round pick we gave up for him. The AD contract he wants is going to kill the Rams ability for the next half decade in free agency. If he does not play any better than AD is now he is not worth it.

Rainram

Starter
I’ll say this much...

I know our D is going to have something of an overhaul coming this offseason.

However, this team will run through McVay and the offense. And McVay’s scheme starts with the Oline.