mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Teams do plan for contingencies BUT all teams scout by need...there is a reason the rams are avoiding LT's and highly ranked 3 tech dt's...also not scouting highly ranked cb's....scouting ALL the players would be a waste of time and money and manpower.

I also learn more by who the rams aren't scouting....I see 10-15 teams at a top nickle cb's pro day but zero rams interest then see the same thing happen again, again and again it becomes easy making the inductive leap

trust me Seattle isn't sending its scouts to Oregon to watch Mariota..be pointless. Doubt Rams scouts went to Nevada to watch Fajardo. Theyalso would be wasting their time scouting 3-4 NT's...I see then showing up at tall wr pro days but not slot wr's...think maybe because they haven't given up on Austin yet? NE has maybe only 75 players on their draft board..other teams maybe 100/125....how much time do you think they are spending scouting players they don't want or aren't scheme fits?

Rams have been looking at mlb prospects for 6 months and almost drafted CJ Mosley last year....I see a pattern

find it much more interesting basing my mocks on who the rams are scouting and the pro days they attended then saying which players I want.

Except the Rams did scout Fajardo.

thehammer

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This isn't really relevant to your mock at all, hammer, I'm just curious.

What would think of Golden as a DE to groom to spell/replace Long down the line? Worth it at all?

scouts say too short, too slow to anything more then a backup lde or rush lber...from watching him too good not to start barely 6'2 and 260 with brutal sparq but just makes play after play ....love the kid
be fun watching to see how he does in the pros and will his physical limitations be too much to overcome?

safer lde are Preston Smith and Randy Chickillo..Frank Clark has 2nd rd talent and almost undraftable character issues

thehammer

Rookie
Except the Rams did scout Fajardo.

actually scouted players at Nevada pro day....my best guess would be Brock Hekking LB 6’3 250 Nevada played de in college 50 tfl 17 career sacks

they wouldn't have any use for Fajardo unless they want to occasionally run the pistol

Rams43

Hall of Fame
based primarily by watching which college games rams scouts attended last fall and interviews & pro day visits...not necessarily who I would draft

1. Brandon Scherff/Lael Collins or Clemmings if Scherff is gone Rams scouted Clemmings and watching to see if Boudreau is at LSU pro day today

2. Perryman/Paul Dawson....any cap guys can the Rams trade Laurenaitis? Williams needs a mlber who plays behind the line of scrimmage Perryman has 27 1/2 tfl in his career and Dawson 20 last year alone..btw Williams has along history of moving the incumbent mlber to slb after he is hired...rams sent lber coach to watch Dawson's TCU workout

3.Hundley/Grayson Fisher when asked what traits would he want in a vet qb..he said a winning record...got exactly that in Foles...when asked what he wants in a rookie he said talent/mobility..Hundley has both and will be able to start in 2016

4.Tyrus Thompson OT Oklahoma 6’5 330 or Havenstein rams have scouted both..sleeper pick is Dez Lewis WR Central Arkansas 6'4 215 rams scouted...only a matter of time before Quick's face shows up on a milk carton Lewis is special..very rare finding a tall wr with the flexibility to get low on balls and singled out for praise at Senior Bowl by Phil Savage

6.Craig Mager CB Texas St 6’0 191 47 career pd 8 int big body some quickness good tackler 211 career tackles great sparq or Tye Smith CB Towson 6’1 190 CH+++ 180 tackles last 2 years ? Shrine game interview good sparq bet Williams hates McGee and Rams just attended Mager's pro day and interviewed Smith..both would be great st players as they learn

7. Donatella Luckett WR Harding 6’1 215 senior bowl invite killer blocker 26’1 avg senior over 20 as a junior CH+++ or Jordan Taylor WR Rice timed an official 4.47 in the 40 while also posting a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-9 broad. also Malcolm Agnew RB Southern Illinois 5’9 208 is a possibility..finally cut Pead. ...also Stacy doesn't play on st's and could be traded....Rams have scouted all 3

I love your sleeper pick tidbits, hammer.

Anything juicy to share with us regarding OL?

thehammer

Rookie
I love your sleeper pick tidbits, hammer.

Anything juicy to share with us regarding OL?

best I know is Rams went to Penn St...their top prospect is Donovan Smith...love the kid and I keep moving him up my board. I'd rather have him then thenmany of the more highly rated 1st rd guys

really struggling to find visits for olinemen in the5th-7th rd range. Lot of good linemen in that range who mention which teams have interviewed them and zero rams...they did go to west virginia pro day (Glowinski)..good sleeper is their other guard Quinton Spain 6'4 340 ran a sub 5 40 and had great short times...

what I can't find is interest in player like Andrew Donnal RT Iowa Terry Poole LT/G San Diego St , Nick Easton C Harvard, Jake Rodgers OT/G Estern Washington , Jamon Brown OT/G , Laurence Gibson OT Virginia Tech, Antoine Everett C/G McNeese, Malcolm Bunch OT/G ULA , Cole Manhart G/OT Nebraska-Kearney, Miles Dieffenbach G and John Miller G..all very good 5-7th rd types... think they would be drafting 2 olinemen 1 high and a later rd guy..just can't find those later rd guys

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I like it but the first round picks I hope are after a trade down.

jjab360

Legend
Teams do plan for contingencies BUT all teams scout by need...there is a reason the rams are avoiding LT's and highly ranked 3 tech dt's...also not scouting highly ranked cb's....scouting ALL the players would be a waste of time and money and manpower.

I also learn more by who the rams aren't scouting....I see 10-15 teams at a top nickle cb's pro day but zero rams interest then see the same thing happen again, again and again it becomes easy making the inductive leap

trust me Seattle isn't sending its scouts to Oregon to watch Mariota..be pointless. Doubt Rams scouts went to Nevada to watch Fajardo. Theyalso would be wasting their time scouting 3-4 NT's...I see then showing up at tall wr pro days but not slot wr's...think maybe because they haven't given up on Austin yet? NE has maybe only 75 players on their draft board..other teams maybe 100/125....how much time do you think they are spending scouting players they don't want or aren't scheme fits?

Rams have been looking at mlb prospects for 6 months and almost drafted CJ Mosley last year....I see a pattern

find it much more interesting basing my mocks on who the rams are scouting and the pro days they attended then saying which players I want.
Of course the Rams scout every player, if for no other reason than to know where they can expect the players they like to fall in the draft. Just because they don't send a bunch of scouts to every prospect's pro day doesn't mean they haven't watched tape and gotten background information on that player.

thehammer

Rookie
- Utah State had 16 former football players work out in front of 20 National Football League (NFL) Scouts Thursday morning in its annual Pro Day.
In all, scouts from the Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins were in attendance.

expected rams to want to see Zach Virgil MLB/OLB...so where was the the Rams western area scout on March 5th?

The star of the pro day in New Mexico was not a Lobo; rather, Tyler Slavin, a receiver from New Mexico Highlands, who totaled 106 receptions for 1,234 yards and 15 touchdowns last year.

Slavin measured 6-2, 215 pounds, then ran 4.52/4.54 in the 40, touched 34 inches in the vertical jump and 9-7 in the broad. Slavin also caught the ball very well and if nothing else, secured an invitation to camp this summer.

The St Louis Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders were on hand.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#5V0RIZaEvW7X7Vry.99

only 4 teams bothered to attend New Mexico's pro day and one was the rams..I think they were there to watch one specific player..don't be surprised if we sign Slavin to an udfa contract...rams pro day visits and udfa contracts have historically gone hand in hand

rams were one of a few teams to watch Middle Tenn St pro day a couple of years ago. I talked to the local beat writer covering the team and asked who they liked and she said they were talking to Bennie Cunningham...ditto last year with Tre Watts/Tulsa pro day

Stel

Starter
Interesting. You have to get a feeling they are really interested in OLs early, with a QB if the value is there. This draft class seems to have few elite OL prospects but a lot of solid ones in the first two days and early in the third day.

thehammer

Rookie
Interesting. You have to get a feeling they are really interested in OLs early, with a QB if the value is there. This draft class seems to have few elite OL prospects but a lot of solid ones in the first two days and early in the third day.

+1
it's what I am seeing also been looking at a bunch of later rd/udfa wr's with size

Givens plays on zero st units and they have to have some concern over Quicks health

Stel

Starter
Seems to me Givens is expendable. Other than pure speed, he doesn't offer a lot as a WR. Givens was 5th among our WRs in snap count, had fewer than Quick who missed over half of the season. Givens' 11 receptions on 21 targets shouldn't be that hard to replace, even if it is with a late round/UDFA type. Givens' doesn't seem to be worth his base salary of $1,542,000 it would pay for his replacement AND at least one veteran back up.

thehammer

Rookie
Seems to me Givens is expendable. Other than pure speed, he doesn't offer a lot as a WR. Givens was 5th among our WRs in snap count, had fewer than Quick who missed over half of the season. Givens' 11 receptions on 21 targets shouldn't be that hard to replace, even if it is with a late round/UDFA type. Givens' doesn't seem to be worth his base salary of $1,542,000 it would pay for his replacement AND at least one veteran back up.

yeah stick a fork in Givens..he's done

Among the teams expected to have scouts at the Pro Day are Miami, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Jacksonville and New Orleans from the NFL and the Lions and Rough Riders of the CFL...South Alabama Brandon Bridge pro day. Why look at 7th/udfa qb sleepers when they are going to draft a qb in 2-4 rds?

Athos

Legend
yeah stick a fork in Givens..he's done

Know if the Rams have scouted any of the 1st and 2nd round WRs and giving a ballpark estimate, who do you figure the Rams to take if they stay at 10 and the odds of taking a WR if one falls?

Also, just for curiosity sake, what do you of the following guys: Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Dave Johnson (the RB).

Who is a bigger/stockier RB if we could draft to compliment Mason? Or rather, a pass-catching RB?

Would there ever be a world the Rams took a big risk on DGB?

You have any hidden CB gems?

thehammer

Rookie
Know if the Rams have scouted any of the 1st and 2nd round WRs and giving a ballpark estimate, who do you figure the Rams to take if they stay at 10 and the odds of taking a WR if one falls?

Also, just for curiosity sake, what do you of the following guys: Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Dave Johnson (the RB).

Who is a bigger/stockier RB if we could draft to compliment Mason? Or rather, a pass-catching RB?

Would there ever be a world the Rams took a big risk on DGB?

You have any hidden CB gems?

know they have scouted Cooper/White but when Fishers says he is happy with his wr's think he means it...too big an ego to admit otherwise
keep looking to see if which teams Parker, Breshad Perriman, Strong and the other top wr's are visiting and zero Rams...

IMO biggest need at wr is the guy who can get you 50+ 1st downs a year..a fun and telling stat
.zero on the roster....lot of wr's around the nfl can do it but last(I think) who did it here was Holt..can't move the chains you lose. We have too many fast guys and not enough chain movers. Explains why I'm not a fan of either Devin Smith or Dorsett

David Johnson might be the best receiving rb I have ever seen..simply can't be covered. If we are staying pat with our wr's and te's I hope they draft Johnson purely on his ability to dominate games as a receiver...also a pretty darn good rb & blocker

we need that short yardage back but I want a receiving threat at rb more...lot more 3rd and sevens then 3rd and ones

bpa in the 2nd rd will likely be cb...crazy deep this year from rd 1 -udfa for cbs

IMO PJ Williams is the best cb in this draft..does he make it to #41? .when looking at cbs they have to be able to cover man to man in Williams system because he blitzes so much...shame lot of great zone cbs this year.

Rams need a tall cb..they cornered the market on short nickle backs
.for later rd guys does Byron Jones make it to the 3rd rd? Charles Gaines, Alex Carter, Craig Mager, Cam Thomas, Steve Nelson, Adrian Amos, Al-Hajj Shabazz, Imoan Claiborne (nott all but has a 40 vertical and a st killer), Deshazor Everett, Gary Peters and Travis Lee CB Miles cb 6’1 185 very hard tackler 4.36 looks fast in games press aggressive cb 6 int senior 36 vertical

thehammer

Rookie
Also taking part in the workout was Miles cornerback Travis Lee, who stood on his times from an earlier workout. The St Louis Rams, who’ve been hot on Lee's trail, again commented on how much they like the cornerback after watching him today.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#XL4wgic83ym8SKg6.99

just posted from Walter..named him as of the sleeper cb rams might want...32 arms came in at 5'11 not 6'1

Athos

Legend
we need that short yardage back but I want a receiving threat at rb more...lot more 3rd and sevens then 3rd and ones

I feel you there. I've missed having a legit pass-catching RB since Faulk and the 2006 season of Jackson. I think BamBam can be fine in the shortage role, or Stacy. But yea, I want a pass-catching threat out of the backfield.

know they have scouted Cooper/White but when Fishers says he is happy with his wr's think he means it...too big an ego to admit otherwise
keep looking to see if which teams Parker, Breshad Perriman, Strong and the other top wr's are visiting and zero Rams...

That'd be disappointing. Parker will be a 1st Down machine with his body control and hands. Cooper with routes. I really hope ego doesn't fuck up the team.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This concept that Fisher or Snead has huge ego which causes him to willfully ignore needs at specific positions on this team is an absolute myth

Where is the proof there are any issues with how Fisher or Snead's perceived public perception of themselves has any impact on their personal moves?

I don't see it - otherwise we'd have still have Bradford as out starting QB

Stel

Starter
. . . we need that short yardage back but I want a receiving threat at rb more...lot more 3rd and sevens then 3rd and ones . . .

What about Kenny Hilliard from LSU?

Gil Brandt had this to say about his pro day workout: "Running back Kenny Hilliard (5-11 1/2, 223) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.69 and 4.68 seconds. He had a 29-inch vertical jump. He also performed 16 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Hilliard has quick feet for his size and did a good job catching the ball out of the back."

Hilliard always worked with a stable of backs at LSU and was used mainly for short yardage situations. However, he seems to be able to catch out of the backfield but LSU simply didn't do that very much. Good size at 5'11.5", 220+. Looks to be a 7th round or priority FA type, probably limited to short yardage situations and seems to be able to catch the ball. NFL bloodlines, too.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

IMO biggest need at wr is the guy who can get you 50+ 1st downs a year..a fun and telling stat
.zero on the roster....lot of wr's around the nfl can do it but last(I think) who did it here was Holt..can't move the chains you lose. We have too many fast guys and not enough chain movers. Explains why I'm not a fan of either Devin Smith or Dorsett

David Johnson might be the best receiving rb I have ever seen..simply can't be covered. If we are staying pat with our wr's and te's I hope they draft Johnson purely on his ability to dominate games as a receiver...also a pretty darn good rb & blocker

bpa in the 2nd rd will likely be cb...crazy deep this year from rd 1 -udfa for cbs

IMO PJ Williams is the best cb in this draft..does he make it to #41? .when looking at cbs they have to be able to cover man to man in Williams system because he blitzes so much...shame lot of great zone cbs this year.

Rams need a tall cb..they cornered the market on short nickle backs
.for later rd guys does Byron Jones make it to the 3rd rd? Charles Gaines, Alex Carter, Craig Mager, Cam Thomas, Steve Nelson, Adrian Amos, Al-Hajj Shabazz, Imoan Claiborne (nott all but has a 40 vertical and a st killer), Deshazor Everett, Gary Peters and Travis Lee CB Miles cb 6’1 185 very hard tackler 4.36 looks fast in games press aggressive cb 6 int senior 36 vertical

I am on the David Johnson train in the 3rd round! He was just silly against Iowa catching the ball out of the back field. He will be torching LBs in 1 on 1 situations at the next level. He's got bell cow size too which is a nice bonus. He would be an excellent compliment to Mason and Cunningham.