Mock Off Season V1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Hey all. New to the forum figured my first post should be something I love Mock off seasons. I am basing my cap figures and comparable contracts on numbers from spotrac.com. I determine contract using statistics and the contracts players with comparable statistics received once they hit FA. This will be long, but I promise it will be worth it.

Cuts

Chris Long, DE , Rams (12 mil savings)

Love Chris and respect all the work he's put in even through the hard years, but he is 31 coming off of two injury ravaged seasons where he was outplayed by William Hayes even when he was healthy. He is strong leader, great vet presence, and good on twitter, but at age 31 and a 12 mil cap hit it is is time inject some youth in Fisher's favorite part of the team

Jared Cook, TE, Rams (7 mil savings)
Kinda self explanatory. His only saving grace could be a weak TE class in FA and the draft

Roger Safold, OL, Rams (2.6 mil saving)
Garrett Reynolds proved to be more than adequate as the vet presence on the young line settling G-Rob down. Rams want to develop Battle and seem to really like Darrell Williams, so they are probably set at tackle behind Robinson and Big Hav. Wichman and Brown are two promising young pieces at guard who I would continue to develop instead of paying the bloated salary of Mr. Glass Shoulders.

Nick Foles, QB, Rams (Post June First cut 1.75m savings)
I would be excited if the eagles took him off our hands for next to nothing, but I don't see that happening. With Keenum coming back as the bridge QB for a new solution at QB and Mannion worth developing Foles is the odd man out.

Total Savings= $23.35m

Free Agency
(Projected cap Space 39.2 Million + 23.35 in Cuts= $62.55 million)​

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Rams 4 yr/ $9.75m (comparable Sam Shields, CB, Packers 4yr/9.75M)
If I could only keep one between JJ Tru I am probably going with Tru. Both have number 1 CB upside, but I am giving Tru the slight edge because offers size we don't have at CB. This year Fish often used Tru to shadow bigger WRs like Megatron, Alshon, and Michael Floyd. Tru is also a playmaker near the top of the league in INTs. A CB with his size, coverage ability, and ball skills is easily worth 9.75 mil a year on the open market if not more. Rams will be fine with Roberson and EJ competing for the spot opposite him.

Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals 4yr/$6.75m (between Golden Taint 6.25m and Eric Decker 7.25)
Jones is a deep threat, who has good hands, and decent size. He excelled as the number two option opposite AJ Green and also performed admirably when he had to step as the top option. Snead said he wants to add more consistency at the position, the best way to do that is by adding an established vet with some upside and rookie with alot of upside who will step in for Kenny Britt when his contract is up after 2016. Jones has plenty of upside and is better than what we currently have. He was also born in LA and played his college ball at Cal, so he probably wouldn't mind heading back out to sunny southern California.

Rodney Mcleod, S, Rams 4yr/$5.5m (between Malcolm Jenkins $5.16m and Nate Allen 5.75m)
Eric Weddle's and Eric Berry's contracts are going to bloat the FA safety market at position starving for quality starters league wide. Mcleod graded as a top coverage safety and is solid in run support. Unlike previous years he rarely let plays get over the top of him playing in his deep angel safety role. His deep angel role also cuts down on his INT opportunities, but he is a leader, versatile, and can play nickel in a pinch. In a recent radio interview Snead singled out Mcleod, Ogletree, TJ as future leaders of our team ominously leaving out the most tenured Rams Long and Lauranatis. He is already a captain and could fill the leadership vacuum those guys leave.

William Hayes, DE, Rams 2yr/$5m (Justin Tuck 2yr/$5m)
Giving him the exact contract Justin tuck got from Raiders at age 31. I don't think he is going anywhere the Bromance between him and Fisher is strong. Hayes is a terrific run defender and well above average as a pass rusher. He is also a leader and the perfect guy to provide and example for a young developing EDGE defender.

Ladarius Green, TE, Charges 4yr/$5m
(Between Kendricks $4.6m and Martellus Bennett 5.1m)
The TE position is weak in FA and the draft so Green could be the most enticing player in both phases and could make closer to Dennis Pitta money 6.1m. Rams are two TE offense so I wouldn't be surprised if they spent more than $4.5m on two TEs again. Green is athletic and played well in a lead TE role for San Diego anytime Antonio Gates went down. I know a lot of you are thinking Jared Cook part two, but I think Green has better hands, actually plays up to his size, and is just as athletic. High upside and I think he can explode as top target in our offense with decent QB play.

Mark Barron, WS, Ram 4yr/$5m (Between Vontze Burfict LB 4.75m and Antoine Bethea, SS (5.25m)
A player who plays Barron's Role has never hit FA, so It was hard to find comparable contracts. 5m a year puts him just outside the top 10 for Strong Safeties and well inside the top ten for off the ball Outside LBs. My initial thought was with Ogletree back next year let Barron go and let Mo Alexander play in role similar to 2014 Barron. Then I thought about how the Patriots (yuck) use a LB core with some similar characteristics. Their 3 down guys are the highly athletic WLB Jamie Collins who is similar to Ogletree and SLB Donta Hightower a physical versatile Bama product like Barron. At MLB they have Jerod Mayo the longtime leader of the defense playing reduced snaps and will probably get cut so they can resign their young star Collins (sound familiar?). I think Williams can make some tweaks to our defense and use a similar composition with Barron, Ogletree, and Lauranatis. Bringing back Barron also allows us to play Ayers more as a pass rusher with or DE position in flux.

Draft
1. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Probably the QB with the highest upside in the draft. Under Snisher the rams usually swing for the fences with raw high upside guys in the first round and Lynch definitely fits that mold. He's got the size and mobility rams like in their QBs. Keenum would be decent bridge QB ala Chad Henne Blake Bortels. If all the QBs are gone by 15 and the Rams don't decide to move up for one of the top 3 my Sleeper pick here is Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky.

2. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Doctson isn't extremely explosive but he has great hands and specializes in going up and getting the football in 50/50 situations. Rams could really use a guy with his skill set. He could relegate Kenny Britt to the situational deep threat role sooner than later and play opposite Jones with Tavon in the slot.

2. Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
Not the the biggest need, but DT is the most talented position in the draft and Fisher demands a deep rotation on the d-line. Jones is a high upside guy and at 6'5 305 has the size Waufle and Fisher usually prefer along the DL. He can play nose and 3 tech so he'll instantly come in and replace Fairley's snaps and possibly replace Brockers if we aren't able to extend him.

3. Grahm Glasgow, C, Michigan
In a deep center class this spot could be filed by a number of guys, but I went with Glasgow. He is versatile and has great size for a center at 6'5 305. He played in Harbaugh's prostyle offense and has plenty of starting experience, so Fisher will have no problems allowing him to compete for the starting spot with Rhaney.

4. Alex McCalister, EDGE, Florida
McCalister is a high upside guy with character issues. He left school early after being dismissed from Florida and was also suspended earlier in the year. He is lanky at 6'6 240 and desperately in need of an NFL training program. However he can be an explosive edge rusher right off the bat . He can beat tackles with speed off the edge and his ability to dip and bend even as a lanky guy which, is quite impressive. Even though, he consistently flashes as a pass rusher on tape, but needs to develop more pass rush moves. Rams haven't shied away from guys with character issues, so McCalister is high upside guy weall worth developing behind Hayes.

6. Jake McGee, TE, Florida
I thought about giving Harkey a 3yr/1.8m dollar like the 49ers Bruce Miller and I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher and crew decided do so with the value they place on versatility and special teams. With the money we are giving Green and Kendricks I figured it would be more prudent to just draft a young guy to develop and replace those snaps.

Roster
Offense
QB: Keenum, Lynch, Mannion
RB: Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Brown
WR1: Jones
WR2: Tavon
WR3: Britt, Doctson, Marquez
TE: Green, Kendricks, McGee
LT: Robinson, Battle
LG: Reynolds, Donell
C: Glasgow, Rhaney
RG: Brown, Wichman
RT: Havenstein, Williams

Defense
LE: Hayes, McCalister
UT: Donald, Trinca-Pasat
NT: Brockers, Jones
RE: Quinn, Westbrooks, Longacre
SLB: Barron, Ayers
MLB: Lauranatis, Hager
WLB: Ogletree, Bates
LCB: Tru, UDFA
RCB: Roberson/Gaines
NCK: Joyner/Gaines
FS: Mcleod, Davis, Bryant
SS: McDonald, Alexander

Special Teams
P: Hecker
LS: McQuaide
K: UDFA

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Heck of a 1st time post, thoughtful write up and really enjoyed the comps you did w/ signing players. Loved the Tru over Jenkins signing as I too prefer him over Jenkins. Smart Mock and you hit a bunch of future starters. Love the DT,OC,EDGE picks.
Though I prefer to move up for one of the other QBs namely Wentz.
I would give you a B+ for that draft and won't bitch at all. Well done sir

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Nice post....
I like the QB pick in the first round ; Receiver in the 2nd round is good, I just like Boyd from Pitt better. I really like the Chris Jones pick. I like the Center, although for me it would be a toss up between Glasgow and Blythe from Iowa. Last, I like the TE, McGee.

My differences with the whole plan is regarding the Defense. Many think the Rams have a "great" or "dominating" defense. I think they're close. The Secondary took a step up this past season along with the D-line being consistently good. However, the LB play was poor. The play form the LB'ers has to improve or the Rams defense will stay inconsistent. Not replacing JL55 is like saying there's nothing wrong with the Rams QB play on offense. Even when Ogletree was making a lot of tackles in the first half of the season, his play was inconsistent. Ogletree has to get better and the Rams need a better MLB'er. Regarding Barron, he played well last season, but I wouldn't overspend Cap dollars on the position. Like you said, if you want to put a Safety down in the Box to play LB, then you can do it with Mo Alexander for a fraction of the price. Making a FA run for either Brandon Marshall or Danny Trevathan would be huge upgrade to the LG Corp.
Also, we have a net loss at the CB position with this plan. I can understand if you can only keep 1 of the 2, between Jenkins and Johnson. However, there has to be a pick-up of some player via FA or in the draft to offset the loss of Jenkins. You mention that Roberson and Gaines will be fine on the other side. I have to disagree. Roberson is still learning ; he is not ready physically to be an every down Corner. Also, like Jenkins, Gaines is on the smallish side, and only has 1 season of experience. At the minimum a mid-round draft selection, someone who has Tru's size.... like Maurice Canady (Virginia), Harlan Miller (SE Louisianna), or Eric Murray (Minn.) would be needed to keep the secondary strong.
Last, regarding the Depth chart for the O-line ; I think Brown and Wichman are the future starting Guards. I like Reynolds for depth. I think Donnell will be gone soon ; he's not strong enough to play inside and he's not quick enough to play Tackle. Also, If you draft Glasgow, you are implying that he will be an upgrade over Barnes? If so, do you keep Rhaney on the practice squad? When you can only dress 8 O-lineman per game, the subs have to be swing players......either Guard/Tackle, or Center/Guard. I don't remember Rhaney playing very well at either position (Center/Guard) when he had an opportunity.

Again, I appreciate the time you put into your post. It was a good read:yess:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hey all. New to the forum figured my first post should be something I love Mock off seasons. I am basing my cap figures and comparable contracts on numbers from spotrac.com. I determine contract using statistics and the contracts players with comparable statistics received once they hit FA. This will be long, but I promise it will be worth it.

Cuts

Chris Long, DE , Rams (12 mil savings)

Love Chris and respect all the work he's put in even through the hard years, but he is 31 coming off of two injury ravaged seasons where he was outplayed by William Hayes even when he was healthy. He is strong leader, great vet presence, and good on twitter, but at age 31 and a 12 mil cap hit it is is time inject some youth in Fisher's favorite part of the team

Jared Cook, TE, Rams (7 mil savings)
Kinda self explanatory. His only saving grace could be a weak TE class in FA and the draft

Roger Safold, OL, Rams (2.6 mil saving)
Garrett Reynolds proved to be more than adequate as the vet presence on the young line settling G-Rob down. Rams want to develop Battle and seem to really like Darrell Williams, so they are probably set at tackle behind Robinson and Big Hav. Wichman and Brown are two promising young pieces at guard who I would continue to develop instead of paying the bloated salary of Mr. Glass Shoulders.

Nick Foles, QB, Rams (Post June First cut 1.75m savings)
I would be excited if the eagles took him off our hands for next to nothing, but I don't see that happening. With Keenum coming back as the bridge QB for a new solution at QB and Mannion worth developing Foles is the odd man out.

Total Savings= $23.35m

Free Agency
(Projected cap Space 39.2 Million + 23.35 in Cuts= $62.55 million)​

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Rams 4 yr/ $9.75m (comparable Sam Shields, CB, Packers 4yr/9.75M)
If I could only keep one between JJ Tru I am probably going with Tru. Both have number 1 CB upside, but I am giving Tru the slight edge because offers size we don't have at CB. This year Fish often used Tru to shadow bigger WRs like Megatron, Alshon, and Michael Floyd. Tru is also a playmaker near the top of the league in INTs. A CB with his size, coverage ability, and ball skills is easily worth 9.75 mil a year on the open market if not more. Rams will be fine with Roberson and EJ competing for the spot opposite him.

Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals 4yr/$6.75m (between Golden Taint 6.25m and Eric Decker 7.25)
Jones is a deep threat, who has good hands, and decent size. He excelled as the number two option opposite AJ Green and also performed admirably when he had to step as the top option. Snead said he wants to add more consistency at the position, the best way to do that is by adding an established vet with some upside and rookie with alot of upside who will step in for Kenny Britt when his contract is up after 2016. Jones has plenty of upside and is better than what we currently have. He was also born in LA and played his college ball at Cal, so he probably wouldn't mind heading back out to sunny southern California.

Rodney Mcleod, S, Rams 4yr/$5.5m (between Malcolm Jenkins $5.16m and Nate Allen 5.75m)
Eric Weddle's and Eric Berry's contracts are going to bloat the FA safety market at position starving for quality starters league wide. Mcleod graded as a top coverage safety and is solid in run support. Unlike previous years he rarely let plays get over the top of him playing in his deep angel safety role. His deep angel role also cuts down on his INT opportunities, but he is a leader, versatile, and can play nickel in a pinch. In a recent radio interview Snead singled out Mcleod, Ogletree, TJ as future leaders of our team ominously leaving out the most tenured Rams Long and Lauranatis. He is already a captain and could fill the leadership vacuum those guys leave.

William Hayes, DE, Rams 2yr/$5m (Justin Tuck 2yr/$5m)
Giving him the exact contract Justin tuck got from Raiders at age 31. I don't think he is going anywhere the Bromance between him and Fisher is strong. Hayes is a terrific run defender and well above average as a pass rusher. He is also a leader and the perfect guy to provide and example for a young developing EDGE defender.

Ladarius Green, TE, Charges 4yr/$5m
(Between Kendricks $4.6m and Martellus Bennett 5.1m)
The TE position is weak in FA and the draft so Green could be the most enticing player in both phases and could make closer to Dennis Pitta money 6.1m. Rams are two TE offense so I wouldn't be surprised if they spent more than $4.5m on two TEs again. Green is athletic and played well in a lead TE role for San Diego anytime Antonio Gates went down. I know a lot of you are thinking Jared Cook part two, but I think Green has better hands, actually plays up to his size, and is just as athletic. High upside and I think he can explode as top target in our offense with decent QB play.

Mark Barron, WS, Ram 4yr/$5m (Between Vontze Burfict LB 4.75m and Antoine Bethea, SS (5.25m)
A player who plays Barron's Role has never hit FA, so It was hard to find comparable contracts. 5m a year puts him just outside the top 10 for Strong Safeties and well inside the top ten for off the ball Outside LBs. My initial thought was with Ogletree back next year let Barron go and let Mo Alexander play in role similar to 2014 Barron. Then I thought about how the Patriots (yuck) use a LB core with some similar characteristics. Their 3 down guys are the highly athletic WLB Jamie Collins who is similar to Ogletree and SLB Donta Hightower a physical versatile Bama product like Barron. At MLB they have Jerod Mayo the longtime leader of the defense playing reduced snaps and will probably get cut so they can resign their young star Collins (sound familiar?). I think Williams can make some tweaks to our defense and use a similar composition with Barron, Ogletree, and Lauranatis. Bringing back Barron also allows us to play Ayers more as a pass rusher with or DE position in flux.

Draft
1. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Probably the QB with the highest upside in the draft. Under Snisher the rams usually swing for the fences with raw high upside guys in the first round and Lynch definitely fits that mold. He's got the size and mobility rams like in their QBs. Keenum would be decent bridge QB ala Chad Henne Blake Bortels. If all the QBs are gone by 15 and the Rams don't decide to move up for one of the top 3 my Sleeper pick here is Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky.

2. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Doctson isn't extremely explosive but he has great hands and specializes in going up and getting the football in 50/50 situations. Rams could really use a guy with his skill set. He could relegate Kenny Britt to the situational deep threat role sooner than later and play opposite Jones with Tavon in the slot.

2. Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
Not the the biggest need, but DT is the most talented position in the draft and Fisher demands a deep rotation on the d-line. Jones is a high upside guy and at 6'5 305 has the size Waufle and Fisher usually prefer along the DL. He can play nose and 3 tech so he'll instantly come in and replace Fairley's snaps and possibly replace Brockers if we aren't able to extend him.

3. Grahm Glasgow, C, Michigan
In a deep center class this spot could be filed by a number of guys, but I went with Glasgow. He is versatile and has great size for a center at 6'5 305. He played in Harbaugh's prostyle offense and has plenty of starting experience, so Fisher will have no problems allowing him to compete for the starting spot with Rhaney.

4. Alex McCalister, EDGE, Florida
McCalister is a high upside guy with character issues. He left school early after being dismissed from Florida and was also suspended earlier in the year. He is lanky at 6'6 240 and desperately in need of an NFL training program. However he can be an explosive edge rusher right off the bat . He can beat tackles with speed off the edge and his ability to dip and bend even as a lanky guy which, is quite impressive. Even though, he consistently flashes as a pass rusher on tape, but needs to develop more pass rush moves. Rams haven't shied away from guys with character issues, so McCalister is high upside guy weall worth developing behind Hayes.

6. Jake McGee, TE, Florida
I thought about giving Harkey a 3yr/1.8m dollar like the 49ers Bruce Miller and I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher and crew decided do so with the value they place on versatility and special teams. With the money we are giving Green and Kendricks I figured it would be more prudent to just draft a young guy to develop and replace those snaps.

Roster
Offense
QB: Keenum, Lynch, Mannion
RB: Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Brown
WR1: Jones
WR2: Tavon
WR3: Britt, Doctson, Marquez
TE: Green, Kendricks, McGee
LT: Robinson, Battle
LG: Reynolds, Donell
C: Glasgow, Rhaney
RG: Brown, Wichman
RT: Havenstein, Williams

Defense
LE: Hayes, McCalister
UT: Donald, Trinca-Pasat
NT: Brockers, Jones
RE: Quinn, Westbrooks, Longacre
SLB: Barron, Ayers
MLB: Lauranatis, Hager
WLB: Ogletree, Bates
LCB: Tru, UDFA
RCB: Roberson/Gaines
NCK: Joyner/Gaines
FS: Mcleod, Davis, Bryant
SS: McDonald, Alexander

Special Teams
P: Hecker
LS: McQuaide
K: UDFA
Great 1st post, welcome to ROD!! BUT I personally can't go along with any plan to ditch Chris Long! JMHO
I know Chris see's the possibility of it happening. But I want the Rams to make it work so he can retire a Ram! And I think, if anyone can make a come-back it's Chris!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Nice post and thoughtful.

I do disagree on Johnson over Jenkins though. I think I would prefer Jenkins. I think Johnson is better because of Jenkins, that being said you have enough money baked in to sign both. I would prefer to sign the horses and let some of the ponies walk.

Like the draft, all solid picks that fit what this regime looks for in players. I like the Doctson and Glasgow especially. MacAllister is also interesting and agree with your assesement and role with him.

Look forward to more of your posts.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
there is something about this year's draft that's feeling special. Is it the return to LA? is it knowing we may grab a QB in the 1st? can't quite place a finger on it but excited I am!

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Not bad. Jenkins vs. Tru is a hard decision, though I feel most here would take Janoris.

Kinda feel that if we let one walk, it would be a good idea to take one in the draft to make up for it.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Seems like a great forum with some great posters. Glad to be here.

After watching the Super Bowl I think the rams will make a big time effort to resign both Jenkins and Johnson one way or another by tagging one and extending the other or just extending both, which you can do with plenty of cap to spare if you cut Long, Cook, and Saffold. If you look at the Broncos secondary Aqib Talib makes 9.5m, Chris Harris makes 8.5m, TJ Ward makes 5.6m, and Robey is a first round pick. Jets are even worse with Revis at 14m, Cromartie at 8m, Gilchrist at 5.5m, and 2 first round picks in Millner Pryor.

Fisher and Snead are definitely looking at this Super Bowl as validation of Fisher ball (play great defense, run the ball, and with 6 minutes left and a small lead run it on 3rd and 7), so I could definitely see the rams adopting a similar cap composition to the Broncos secondary for Jenkins, Johnson, and Mcleod. The build of both defenses are remarkably similar even outside of the secondary, but we were missing our version of Danny Trevathan (Tree), Von Miller (Quinn), and TJ Warde (McDonald) most of of the year. Do the Broncos make the super bowl without those guys? Probably not. To 8to12's point we do not have a Brandon Marshall talent in the middle and if we get one and resign our secondary you would be hard pressed many differences between our defense and the superbowl winners.

Ram65

Legend
Well done.

For the 2.6 mil savings I might keep Saffold. He can play everywhere on the O Line but OC. I still think Long can be a positive @ less money. I really like that you put contract $$ amounts on players. Of course you have plenty of time for more versions. Welcome to ROD.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well done.

For the 2.6 mil savings I might keep Saffold. He can play everywhere on the O Line but OC. I still think Long can be a positive @ less money. I really like that you put contract $$ amounts on players. Of course you have plenty of time for more versions. Welcome to ROD.
My feeling is it is time to move past Saffold. I understand the versatility .... but the guy has NEVER played a full season ... EVER for us. We need to move on and I think we have the young horses minus what we might add to the OC position. Williams and Battle are going to be our OT backups. Wichmann, Brown and Reynolds are our OG's with Reynolds being the veteran "Swing guy.