Mock Draft 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
1. Jared Goff, QB, Cal (Rams trade pick 15, 43, and 2017 2nd rounder for pick 3)

Rams finally get their Franchise QB. Goff has great accuracy, a quick release, and great pocket mobility. Recently trades from the teens into the top 10 cost a second round pick. Rams pay the QB premium with an extra 2017 second rounder to move up to the third pick

2. Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa

I know many people will hate this pick and have Brian Quick flashbacks, but Garrett is a different animal and one of the best big receivers in this draft. Garrett led the NCAA in receiving yards and when he got the chance to face top notch NFL talent at Oklahoma and Virginia tech he roasted both teams for nearly 200 yards each. At 6'3 220 with vine like 34 inch arms Garrett has an insane catching radius that he used to pull down 2 Hail Marys last season. He is also a great athlete for his size with low 4.5 speed. He has has the size speed profile the Rams love and could provide the Rams with the prototypical number 1 X receiver opposite Tavon.

3. Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky

My favorite TE in this draft. A former WR with great size and athleticism. No TE in this draft class has more upside. Would be the perfect high upside receiving threat opposite Kendricks. An injury ended his season and took him out of the post draft process. If he is healthy in the later part of 2016 and the pre-draft process he goes off the board much earlier.

4. Deandre Houston-Carson, DB, William & Mary

The rare NFL prospect from my alma matter. Carson has plenty of experience playing corner and safety and was a big time play maker at both spots. Fisher will love is special teams value with 9 career blocked kicks and experience as a gunner. Will come in right away and become a core special teamer while competing for the starting FS spot.

6. Aaron Wallace, LB, UCLA

Wallace becomes the first LA based prospect drafted by the LA rams. Wallace is highly athletic with limited play experience. He can rush the passer and has great range. Ayers another UCLA LB who plays the position the same way will be the perfect mentor. Wallace has the upside to develop into the third LB next to Barron and Ogletree.

2016 Depth Chart
QB: Goff, Keenum, Mannion
RB: Gurley, Cunningham, Mason, Brown
XWR: Garrett, Britt
ZWR: Tavon, Quick, Marquez
TE: Kendricks, Higbee, Harkey
LT: Robinson, Saffold
LG: Reynolds, Donell
C: Barnes, Rhaney
RG: Brown, Wichman
RT: Havenstein, Williams

LE: Hayes, Coples, Longacre
NT: Brockers, Westbrook
UT: Donald, Trinca-Pasat
RE: Quinn, Simms
SLB: Ayers, Wallace
MLB: Ogletree, Hager
WLB: Barron, Lynch
LCB: Tru, Joyner, Roberson
RCB: Sensabaugh, Gaines
FS: Davis, Houston-Carson, Bryant
SS: TJ, Alexander

LS: McQuaide
K: UDFA
P: Hekker

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Any draft that lands Goff I endorse. :sneaky:

I like Higbee too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
4070761-yes%2Bsir%2Bd%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If that trade would get us the first pick. Make it all day. I like your draft. Don't know much about the receiver you picked in the second. But could be nice if the top guys like Doctson, Coleman and Treadwell are all off the board. I just don't want an uber raw guy again like Quick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pros on Keyarris Garrett are that he high points the ball well, uses his body to walk off defenders and does well catching deep balls in traffic. Many receivers struggle with that. He's unafraid over the middle and fights to make contested catches. For a big, long receiver, his YAC is pretty good as well.

Cons on Garrett are that I only really saw him run three routes; ins/outs, posts and go/fly routes. There's that route I don't know the name of that starts with an inside release and the receiver bends outside to a go route. There's a name for it, but it's basically a go route and meant to help give the receiver more room to defeat press coverage. Now, he seemed to run those routes well and defeats press coverage pretty nicely. That said, he's probably at least a season away from running the full route tree in a pro offense.

Not as raw as Quick. Brian Quick was about as raw as anyone taken in the second round...ever...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1. Jared Goff, QB, Cal (Rams trade pick 15, 43, and 2017 2nd rounder for pick 3)

Rams finally get their Franchise QB. Goff has great accuracy, a quick release, and great pocket mobility. Recently trades from the teens into the top 10 cost a second round pick. Rams pay the QB premium with an extra 2017 second rounder to move up to the third pick

2. Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa

I know many people will hate this pick and have Brian Quick flashbacks, but Garrett is a different animal and one of the best big receivers in this draft. Garrett led the NCAA in receiving yards and when he got the chance to face top notch NFL talent at Oklahoma and Virginia tech he roasted both teams for nearly 200 yards each. At 6'3 220 with vine like 34 inch arms Garrett has an insane catching radius that he used to pull down 2 Hail Marys last season. He is also a great athlete for his size with low 4.5 speed. He has has the size speed profile the Rams love and could provide the Rams with the prototypical number 1 X receiver opposite Tavon.

3. Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky

My favorite TE in this draft. A former WR with great size and athleticism. No TE in this draft class has more upside. Would be the perfect high upside receiving threat opposite Kendricks. An injury ended his season and took him out of the post draft process. If he is healthy in the later part of 2016 and the pre-draft process he goes off the board much earlier.

4. Deandre Houston-Carson, DB, William & Mary

The rare NFL prospect from my alma matter. Carson has plenty of experience playing corner and safety and was a big time play maker at both spots. Fisher will love is special teams value with 9 career blocked kicks and experience as a gunner. Will come in right away and become a core special teamer while competing for the starting FS spot.

6. Aaron Wallace, LB, UCLA

Wallace becomes the first LA based prospect drafted by the LA rams. Wallace is highly athletic with limited play experience. He can rush the passer and has great range. Ayers another UCLA LB who plays the position the same way will be the perfect mentor. Wallace has the upside to develop into the third LB next to Barron and Ogletree.

2016 Depth Chart
QB: Goff, Keenum, Mannion
RB: Gurley, Cunningham, Mason, Brown
XWR: Garrett, Britt
ZWR: Tavon, Quick, Marquez
TE: Kendricks, Higbee, Harkey
LT: Robinson, Saffold
LG: Reynolds, Donell
C: Barnes, Rhaney
RG: Brown, Wichman
RT: Havenstein, Williams

LE: Hayes, Coples, Longacre
NT: Brockers, Westbrook
UT: Donald, Trinca-Pasat
RE: Quinn, Simms
SLB: Ayers, Wallace
MLB: Ogletree, Hager
WLB: Barron, Lynch
LCB: Tru, Joyner, Roberson
RCB: Sensabaugh, Gaines
FS: Davis, Houston-Carson, Bryant
SS: TJ, Alexander

LS: McQuaide
K: UDFA
P: Hekker
I appreciate your effort, But I don't think we can get that trade up so cheap! And all of your other choices are at least a round too high for them!! Garrett's a 3rd or 4th rounder at best and Higbee a 4th rounder. In my book anyway.;) Not saying they're bad picks, just that they can be had in later rounds! JMHO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be pleased with that draft. Like CGI said any draft that lands the Rams Goff I would endorse. I'd be happy with either Goff or Wentz. Lynch? I would not want to move up that high for him. But would still take him at 15.

The rest looks pretty good. Garrett is not my favorite because of his limited offense in college but he sure looks the part. I really don't like projects that early in the draft. Higbee, Houston-Carson, and Allen look like good value to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still haven't recovered from the last raw size/speed wideout we took in round 2. So not a fan of Garrett and we can probably get him round 3 or later tbh although this class is jumbled in that range and can go a million different ways.

That said, as @CGI_Ram said so eloquently, it has Goff so I approve! :LOL:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I appreciate your effort, But I don't think we can get that trade up so cheap! And all of your other choices are at least a round too high for them!! Garrett's a 3rd or 4th rounder at best and Higbee a 4th rounder. In my book anyway.;) Not saying they're bad picks, just that they can be had in later rounds! JMHO

People say the trade up will be real expensive, but recent history doesn't show that. Teams love their draft picks more than ever these days because the rookie wage scale gets them cheap starters for 4-5 years.

You are correct most scouts have Higbee and Garrett going later, however this isn't a great draft at either position especially TE. IMO Higbee and Garrett are two of the prospects with the most upside at the position. Both IMO have dynamic traits that our offense needs badly. Rams really need some dynamic weapons on offense not just solid players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is a great pick. Would be very angry if we take Keyarris Garrett in the 2nd. I'm not at all a fan of his for the Rams. The rest of the picks are good.

Garrett offers pretty much the same skill-set that Kenny Britt has. He's an outside-the-numbers vertical threat. Long-strider with build-up speed who can separate vertically and come down with contested balls. Doesn't have the quickness and change of directional skills to do a lot of damage underneath. Bad route runner. Ran a very limited college route tree. I like his physicality when the ball is in the air. Doesn't offer much in terms of YAC.

In college, they got him open underneath by using rub routes and picks or spreading the field and having him run slants into open space. I don't see him being a guy who separates well in the NFL except on vertical routes.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
There is no way you get the 3rd pick for so cheap.

in 2013 the last time the third pick was traded, the Dolphins moved from 12 to 3 just by offering pick 42. Under the rookie wage scale the RGIII deal is the only deal that where the team moving down got more than a 2nd round pick that, that is the price these days. Griffin and Luck were more highly regarded as prospects and there are fewer teams aggressively looking to trade up for a QB this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in 2013 the last time the third pick was traded, the Dolphins moved from 12 to 3 just by offering pick 42. Under the rookie wage scale the RGIII deal is the only deal that where the team moving down got more than a 2nd round pick that, that is the price these days. Griffin and Luck were more highly regarded as prospects and there are fewer teams aggressively looking to trade up for a QB this year.

Of course, the Raiders were widely mocked for that trade.

Oh, and the next season the Browns and Bills swapped the 4th and 9th picks, with the Browns getting a future first and a future fourth. So a lot higher return for not moving nearly as far.

In 2012 the Rams took a second to move back to the Cowboys' spot (#6-#14). Of course, the Rams had just been jumped for the player they wanted, and the next guy on their board they felt would be available much later. And they only had a few minutes to negotiate. What are the chances that the guy the Chargers would want at #3 will be available at #15? I doubt any of the guys on their short list will be available that late, making them insist on more in trade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, the Raiders were widely mocked for that trade.

That was also an absolutely terrible draft. The Raiders got what they could. The quality of the draft and the players available dictate what sort of compensation you can get.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-t...de-scenarios-for-the-titans-and-the-no-1-pick

A close look at three trade scenarios for Titans and No. 1 pick
Mar 30, 2016
  • i

Paul KuharskyESPN Staff Writer
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The most popular question over the next month regarding the Tennessee Titans will be who they select with the No. 1 pick in the April 28 first-round.

The second-most popular question will be what the pick can bring in a trade.

Every team has its own version of the trade value chart that first became popular publicly when Jimmy Johnson was running the Dallas Cowboys.

NFL draft home page »

2016 NFL draft order »
Mel Kiper Jr.: Mock 3.0 »
Todd McShay: Mock 4.0 »
Todd McShay's tier rankings
Todd McShay's Top 32 players »
Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board »
Top 10 prospects by position »
NFL draft player rankings »

Johnson's chart puts an incredible premium on the highest picks. Chase Stuart of Football Perspective has a Jimmy Johnson draft chart trade-value calculator, as well as its own calculator that puts what seems to be a more reasonable value on the top choices.

Let’s run through what the No. 1 pick could fetch using both calculators in a trade with three quarterback-needy teams.

TRADE WITH BROWNS

Titans give up No. 1.

Browns give up No. 2 and No. 32 (second round).

JJ calculator: 106 percent for Titans. (100 is even, anything over 100 is a “win.”)

Titans give up No. 1.

Browns give up No. 2 and No. 99 (third round).

FP calculator: 103 percent for the Titans.

I don’t see this as likely. Cleveland will get a quarterback at No. 2, probably the one it likes best. Giving up picks to move up one spot and ensure it gets its guy when there is no apparent threat to move ahead of them isn’t a Moneyball type of move, and the Browns are now operating with a Moneyball style.

If the Titans could make either of those swaps, I’d see it as a major win. The Browns take a quarterback and the Titans still get to choose the best non-quarterback on their draft board.

TRADE WITH 49ERS

Titans give up No. 1.

49ers give up No. 7, No. 37, No. 68 and next year’s first-round pick. (I valued it right in the middle, at No. 16).

JJ calculator: 109 percent for the Titans.

Titans give up No. 1.

49ers give up No. 7, No. 37, No. 68.

FP calculator: 120 percent for the Titans.

That’s a monstrous disparity, where Football Perspective sees it as a significant Titans’ win if they swap the top pick for San Francisco’s top three picks, while Johnson’s chart requires a first-rounder next year to get even close to the same “value” result.

TRADE WITH RAMS

Titans give up No. 1.

Rams give up No. 15, No. 43 (second round), No. 45 (second round) and next year’s first-round pick. (I valued it right in the middle, at No. 16.)

JJ calculator: 99 percent for the Titans.

Titans give up No. 1.

Rams give up No. 15, No. 43, No. 45.

FP calculator: 111 percent for the Titans.

Again, a big disparity between old-school and new-school thinking on value. The drop from first to 15th is significant, but even the lesser return could bring two additional starting-caliber players and would have to make one think. GM Jon Robinson’s recent comment about needing a “king’s ransom” for a big drop would certainly apply to move this far back.