Mock 3/20/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
For starters, I'm not going to include trades even though I can see a need for the Rams to back to the 2nd round.

Also, most linemen and LBs get a familiar criticism: "needs to improve strength." So I'm gonna try not to harp on that because we all know the awakening that awaits these guys when they get to the bigs. Hence the big jump in year 2 for so many--they get stronger (along with understanding the team concepts).

My priorities going in:
1) Replacing OTree w/ a true MLB to strengthen the middle of the defense.
2) Find a beefy NT to help clog the middle of the line to rotate with Smart, et al.
3) 3-4 OLB
4) OT who can be ready to start by next year, possibly play serious amount of time this year if we aren't so lucky in the health department.
5) Safety. Try to avoid having to franchise Joyner 2 yrs in a row.
6) OL depth
So here goes...

1) #23,23 Rashaan Evens, ILB (bama) 6-3,231
I consider replacing OTree more important than finding a DT/NT so that's why I'm going with Evans over a DL here. He's more typical of an ILB than what we have had in a while. Strong,fast, and a nose for the ball. More tackles near/behind the LOS?

3) #23,87 BJ Hill, DT/NT (nc st) 6-3,321
Unlikely he lasts this long, so this might be a case to move up, but guys slip and guys rise on the draft charts. In any case, here's your beefcake up front. Good at occupying blockers and stuffing the run, while possessing a pass rush capability.

4) #11,111 Tyrell Crosby, OT (ore) 6-4,319
Because of the dirth in talent this year at OT, teams w/o an immediate need might not draft one so quickly. Depending on who you believe, this guy is either a top 5 tackle in this class, or a 3-4 rounder. I'm hoping he falls and the Rams scoop him up. Showed well at the senior bowl and has the size and footwork to play in the NFL.

4) #35,135 Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB (Kansas) 6-4,241
FAST (4.60 40) and athletic. Could easily see him in the edge rusher rotation. Should be able to develop into a guy who can also do a good job of holding the edge.

6) #2,176 Natrell Jamerson, S (wisc) 5-11, 201
Another fast player and a ball hawk who played some good football. The Rams might have a hard time signing Joyner to a long term deal w/o a viable replacement in waiting. Currently, there isn't anybody on the roster I thought could be a full time starter at FS.

6) #9,183 Will Clapp, G (lsu) 6-4, 311
He's got the NFL frame but needs work on pass blocking. Can also play center. The Rams need depth and Saffold and Brown are due to hit FA in 2019.

6) #20,194 Mike White, QB (w. kent) 6-4, 224
Has the size and the smarts to play in the NFL, but lacks the top end starter arm strength that the scouts always want to see. Heard a very extensive interview w/ this kid one night while driving. Very sharp and impressive. My thinking is that another QB in development frees the Rams from having to spend too much on a backup when Mannion's deal is up. Here's some #s on White over the last 2 seasons: 63 TDs, 15 INTs, about 67% comp rate.

6) #21,195 Mike Love, OLB (s. fla) 6-4, 260
Here's some size to go with quickness on the edge.

6) #24,198 Bentley Spain, OT (n.c.) 6-6, 300
Obviously, he's gonna need some work, but if a guy that big has to get stronger...
What happens when he does? Rough, developmental, but the Rams NEED tackles.

I welcome your feedback.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice work! Hill, Crosby and Armstrong are hard to peg. I see them go anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th. This draft addresses a lot of our needs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I like it. It's a straight forward, build from the inside out type draft. And I think it's exactly what we need. The ILB is a plug and play thumper and the rookie DT will complement a vet (Suh?). And then you address our OL and add additional HEAVY front seven players.

No smurfs or hybrids being asked to play out of position. And you're not out thinking yourself.

I can take or leave the QB, but Mannion could def be upgraded. If we end up drafting him, definitely post that interview.

I'd be over the moon if our front office put something like this together.

:yess:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work! Hill, Crosby and Armstrong are hard to peg. I see them go anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th. This draft addresses a lot of our needs.

Agree. It's hard to get a read on just where a couple of these picks are going; but somebody always drops and I just used a little "wishful thinking" on a couple of picks, especially Crosby.

This is why I have a feeling that the Rams are gonna end up in the 2nd round, one way or the other. They simply have to get a couple top notch/plug and play defenders in this draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd take that draft FoT, and be damn happy with it. Evans' flexibility is enormous for a guy like Wade plus with our needs. He can stuff the run or rush a bit on some downs, dude is an extremely talented front seven weapon.

And I like that you went after a backup QB with a little upside. IMO the Rams will be lookin there, as I have never felt they like Mannion.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Merlin:
My thinking is that it's obvious how hungry so many teams are for a QB right now. I'm still scratching my head over that jets trade.

What if Mannion has a good pre-season? Maybe there might be a market for a solid backup. I would much rather get back a pick for a backup than give him a pay raise when you ideally would not want him to ever play.

OnceARam:
That interview will be hard to find for a tech Neanderthal like me. I was actually in a rental car at the time and had to use the siryus (?) channels. I think it was espn football.
What I can say is that they asked him to break down a couple plays and each time he would go through his pre-snap reads to determine which routes would be adjusted and where everybody would be, whether it was cover 2, cover 3, man, etc.. The kid was very impressive. Great attitude.